Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Just got home from a 1 month break after no internet, found out this game's been released, downloaded it, registered and tried logging on but it keeps giving me a 2000 error. I assume this is because of maintenance or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Alright, so I'm actually having a real good time with this game surprisingly enough. The combat is incredibly fun, although I still have a hard time understanding how all the combos and stuff works. So, as a lyn bladedancer, I decided to google a bit and aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :suicide:

Seriously, I know that this other midget dude taught me some combos but I've already forgotten some of them. Now, at level 23, I decided to try some 1v1 arena PvP and I get absolutely obliterated. All my attacks are constantly blocked and parried, it feels like none of my abilities are working correctly at all as nothing seems to hit ( I can stand and face my opponent, clicking left mouse button while I have an electric charge up and the game will bluntly tell me that it doesn't work ), and I'm constantly starved for chi, and the ability descriptions aren't much to help as I'm having issues understanding how they all sync and relate to each other. I tried searching for some guides but those I found I couldn't understand at all. What I really need, I think, is just a simple guide telling me how the combat in the game works in general compared to other tab->target MMOs I'm used to playing like WoW.

How do I block / parry? How do I counter? How and why should I do the combos the tutorial taught me? What benefits will doing these combos give me when there's no clear indication whatsoever that I've done a combo? And so on and so on.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

cathead posted:

First of all, PvPing at low levels is going to be kind of painful as you're generally lacking the skills and skill points that give your class all the tools it needs. You might want to give yourself some more time in PvE to get more skills/points and get used to the class before you start thinking about going hard on PvP.

A lot of your issues are just a matter of just knowing what your class is capable of, and what OTHER classes are capable of. It takes some work as there's a lot of skill interactions on both sides that you need to get used to, but it's pretty rewarding once you get it down. This is probably the biggest thing that makes BnS similar to fighting games. Hajoon's combo training usually covers some really basic parts of your kit, but for the rest you're just going to have to look elsewhere. It's not always easy to find but there's stuff out there for every class. Check bladeandsouldojo's class forums and see what you can get from there, and check youtube for guides or combo videos for your class so you can get a visual idea of things to combine with what you're reading. Experiment with different builds and look at all the different ways your skills can change depending on how they're specced. Once you've got a good handle on your class then it's time to start looking at OTHER classes and how your matchup is with them so you can understand what to watch for them to do and how to handle it. Sometimes it's even a good idea to just make the class and play it for a bit so you can get a better idea of how they play in general.

I haven't played BD to cap but the main thing they usually need is to have their Vortex (Tab) specced down the tree that gives it a 0.5 sec deflect. This allows you to use your spin often and force your enemy to try and time it so they don't get deflected (basically the same problem you were having against them). Q/E are also useful at close range to move around someone who's blocking the front or to dodge someone's attacks since they give you invulnerability frames. Then you're basically looking for an opening to get some CC off (stun, daze, or knockdown, you'll need to spec your skills for some of this stuff) and then launch them into an air combo (requires stun or daze, then hit F to knock them up and then you have a couple of options with LMB and RMB to keep them in the air) or go into draw stance and spam lightning flash (right tree for flash step, which is F in draw stance with a lightning focus) and LMB (flicker, I think?) on them. Hopefully those names are right, bnstree doesn't use the NA translations for everything. Also, beware that people have CC escapes that they'll use, so you'll probably need to try multiple times to get them to blow their escapes first before you actually get something off on them. Again, a lot of this stuff will require higher levels and skill points to be able to get so you might have to wait a bit.

Anyway, BnSTree is super useful for looking at builds and stuff. It has effect "tags" for each skill so if you're looking for where all your stuns or dazes or whatever are you can just type those terms in the search bar and it will show you all abilities that either have it baseline or could be specced to have them. Most good guides should have a linked build to bnstree so just look at stuff and compare it with videos and in-game, and see if you can derive an understanding of the class from all of that. Good luck! :v:

I guess if I had to summarize what to focus on in general for any class it'd be:
-Know your CC, what types they are, and what skills have it or can be specced to do it
-Know your big damage combos and what setup they need (air combo, draw stance, etc.)
-Know your invulnerability frames and block/counter/deflects, again what skills have it by default or can be specced for it

Then you'll have an idea of how to keep yourself alive (iframes and deflects), how to get the other guy to stand the gently caress still (CC), and how to actually hurt them once they're standing still (damage combos).

Thanks for this awesome post. I talked with someone in a clan I'm in, and she suggested that I'd wait until I reach like level 40+ to do Blade Dancer pvp as all the core abilities and combos to dish out proper damage isn't available until then.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
How do I acess currency exchange? Faction chat is being spammed by goldsellers, and the clan I'm in doesn't respond :(

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So how do I get keys? Do I really need to farm dailies for them? :psyduck: I'm level 36, and the only dailies I have available are low-paying low level ones in the starter continent which only gives one key when completed a daily. Is there a guide for key farming somewhere?

Oh, and is someone else having issues writing in clan chat / party chat?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

:stare:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I wrote earlier in this thread about having issues in PvP as a Lyn Bladedancer. I felt completely useless and had no idea what to do against any classes. After reaching level 44 yesterday, I decided to try some arenas again and.. :getin: It's so brutal. If I'm good at timing my spins, I can practically keep my enemies stunlocked throughout the duration of my fight while I let loose dealing all sorts of incredible damage towards them. My record, right now is a 15 win streak. I managed to lose against a rather good assassin that countered each and every attack I gave, which was incredibly admirable. Funny thing was when I reached gold and did an arena match, I encountered a Kung Fu Master who I assume was using animation cancelling scripts as he pretty much managed to get me from 40% to 0% in less than four seconds and all I could hear was an endless stream of shouts and groans from him. So I decided to play smart and just keep him stunned, time every attack of his, and I managed to win in the end. Got some pretty pissed off messages on the arena-chat after that.

It's also pretty funny being a midget death machine, especially when my character looks like he could belong in Rupauls Dragrace.

Sashay away.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Det_no posted:

Got any info on what build you are using? I've just gotten into pvp too (although I'm level 37) and while my PVE combo of launching people up into the air then blading the gently caress out of them initially worked out ok, now I'm having trouble.

I'm honestly just using the top PvP build for bladedancers as recommended by https://bnstree.com/ . Other than that, I found a rather comprehensive guide regarding Bladedancer on the forums https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/topic/166120-guide-mastering-lyn-bladedancer-by-think/ . I haven't read through it myself, but it seems like a nice thing I'll definitely be checking out if I wanna perform good.

One of the most important things that I should point out is that apparently the game client is not balanced for level 45 at the moment. It's balanced around level 50, but as we use the Western client and they haven't opened up the zones and the possibility to level any further, PvP won't be completely balanced like it is in Korea.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I just reached 45 on my bladedancer, but I can't access the Blackram Supply Chain dungeon :( Am I doing something wrong? I am level 45 and I did the pre-quests, but I think I might need a weapon or something in order to be able to go there?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

cathead posted:

You need your weapon upgraded to at least the point it requires a Dokumo weapon to be able to queue for it (or you could just equip a Dokumo weapon, queue, and change back in the lobby area). That's basically BnS's version of WoW's ilvl requirements for dungeon finder.

And moonwater transformation stones costs like 6 gold each on my server, which is quite insane. I need gold, and people in the clan tells me to do 'dailies', but I've no idea which dailies to do :psyduck:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Anyone else having an issue where the quest doesn't 'pop up' properly? Made my second character now but I'm unable to progress because of this :(

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I'm really digging playing Warlock now, up to level 30 and all that. But I'm somewhat worried of their perfomance in endgame PvE and PvP as even now I feel like a complete glass-cannon that can dish out above 12k of damage in almost less than 4 sec, but once anything even looks at me I lose 50% of my HP. Any high level warlocks that can tell me how it is to play one in endgame situations?

Oh, and holy poo poo Zaiwei must be one of the most beautifully designed cities I've ever seen in any game :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
What professions should I take if I want to make a good buck? I took pottery along with tree-felling and and such earlier on my main and all I can do now is to make a moonwater pickaxe every day to earn 1.5 gold. Anything else I can take?

• Locked thread