Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Karistar posted:

The game makes me wonder what the average lifespan of the various races are. Afterall, the events of Highland Necropolis happened 30 years ago, yet both Yura and Mushin doesn't look like they've aged a single bit (despite Mushin becoming a mortal after giving up his powers), and Jinsoyun herself was probably 13-16 year old in that cutscene, but she's looking like she's in her 20's. Even the Sacred Beasts look older.

Unless they're pulling on the Tao aspects of having good control over your chi turns you into an immortal or something like that to explain away how they're physically aging so slowly (if at all), without the old people with big long beards and a funny hat.

The guardians themselves are explicitly immortal, Jiwan herself is busy 'reforming' and that's why Hong is holding onto the sword. Mushin (even after losing divinity) is stated to be the Strongest Man In The World, so we can assume he's got something to keep him looking sickbuff. Yura's at least half-demon so that explains her and JSY has got mastery of dark chi which I assume does the same. Also,she was also all of about 7 when highland central happened, as Iksanun's thoughts in the Completed tab of the journal tell us that Jiwan rescued 'a mere child'.

Fun fact: Mushin is not his name. It's his title. In KR he is Chun Jin Kwon, The Mushin [Divine Fist]

HapiMerchant fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Ass_Burgerer posted:

What's a sin?

Deso = Destroyer
LBD/LBM = Blade Dancer
BM = Blade Master
FM = Forcemaster
KFM = Kung Fu master
Sin = Assassin
Summ = Summoner
Lock = Warlock

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

randombattle posted:

Why would you abreviate assassin as sin when nothing else is. it should be AS or rear end. Same with summoner and warlock why are they 4 letters when nothing else is. Nothing even shares the same letters.

Don't ask me i didn't start the trend. I guess cuz rear end has the obvious 12 year giggle factor and DES is another term i've seen for Destroyers as well. And summ/sum is interchangeable i guess. WL is the other warlock term too.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Haroshia posted:

The Poharan guild is named "booty" and is made up of mostly Age of Wushu nerds from the "Freedom Bloc". We're Blue, and for an invite you can message either Leffe, Chroma or Shazzy .

Plz add to OP I do not know how to discord thx.

You're never bloody online when I try, and neither is leffe! Maybe i just have bad hours.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

LegionAreI posted:

What's the story about the removed stuff?

The madun spirit vision? It was originally timetravel.

quote:

Madun's character defining moment is back in that cave where you meet the 8 masters. he's late. thats him. He's that fuckwad that's late to the big party. Then later on, Iksanun tells you you're going to go back in time to the highland central massacre and find out what happened, only madun bumbles and fucks it up and you go back to his childhood where the village got rekt. JSY sees you back in time and notices you have the black rose mark. She finds this interesting, since she hasnt given to you at that ponit and she knows everyone who she's given it to, which she deduces to mean you're from the future, so she wont kill you now cuz you're actually interesting. When localization turned it into madun's memory thing in a misguided belief that it'd be easiier to understand, they couldn't alter the cutscene dialogue, so they shoehorned madun into having the mark too, despite the fact that he should have mentioned that back in the cave when you show the masters your mark.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

LegionAreI posted:

Well that actually makes more sense than the spirit vision thing. I wondered why the explanation for Madun having the Black Rose mark seemed kinda flimsy. "Yes I had it too! Then it totally went away because reasons! But you need to do this fast so you can't do it that way!"

I mean I get why they changed some of the more questionable quests (despite a lot of people getting really pissy about it) but I don't think they made that more understandable at all.

it isn't helped because the later bit when you go back to the massacre is an actual spirit vision, only they changed THAT to 'a dream' because they already had made the time travel bit a 'spirit vision' and since it's obviously two different methods (one is going through a dragon pulse with the realmwalker's help and the other is the snapjaw sages conducting a ritual) they couldn't keep them both as 'spirit visions'

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Monomythian posted:

Apparently there is entire alternate story path where you take the dark side that was only available in the original KR version, but has since been changed as well. The story just progresses normally as if you had chosen the good path across all versions now.

That got axed because choosing the dark side simply ended the story at that point, but choosing hongmoon got you like 4-5 extra quests (and accompanying XP) and people complained that lightside was an easier leveling process.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wait so even if the cap is 45 the story quests are going up to level 50?

No. current story ends as act 4 starts, with You accepting mushin's offer to travel the dark side and get your chi and dark chi balanced to get more power. Everyone at 45 currently has "A letter from Yuran" that they cant progress on.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well thats the thing, the game naturally takes you into the darkside. You dont get to pick a side till the rest of the story.

True. the bit about darkside/lightside choice is End of act 4. they changed it so you just auto choose hongmoon and get to start a new Hongmoon School, which is what act 5 is. We won't see that bit until 50 content.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

As I understand it, a significant part of that change actually stemmed from the Chinese version - in the original, original Korean launch version the "dark path" was the only option, and the CCP censors were not happy that the player character had to essentially become a villain and engage in no small bit of villainy in act 4. So a whole new Act 3 end/Act 4 was written up for the Chinese version, the Korean players got rather salty that this wasn't available to them, and so the KR and JP versions ended up with a choice - the original "dark" path, and a "light" path that saw you actually overcome the Mark and re-found the Hongmoon School. Then things proceeded like pointed out, the light path offered technically more rewards so from a meta perspective it was an obvious choice, and a lot of people never liked the dark path anyway. So as of 2015 the whole thing is a single path, which is what we're getting.

However, the opening of act 3 stuff... :psyduck: Why would you do that? I'm a liberal-as-gently caress localization dude and I would never consider a story change that sweeping! It's more a pain in the rear end to do that than to just go with it as written! Why would you make that much extra work for yourself?

This game's localization makes my head spin sometimes. :psyduck:

Anyway, on a different tack: do any of y'all BnS vets have some idea whether this hairstyle is currently available to players, and if it isn't, when it will be?

I'd rather like to co-opt this NPC wholesale for my eventual Warlock, but that hair doesn't seem to be available to players at present.

(I'd also like to get those "Stratus Scholar" robes, but I'm guessing those will come down the line. :v:)

In the original KR version, act 4 has you being mushin's puppet, literally possessed by him and forced to murder your allies in a bid for power. As you pointed out, this didn't stand well with players who hated the lack of PC agency. In CN, this was changed to you merely being his acolyte and not being nearly so nasty, but then near the end you also had the choice to redeem yourself. Then meta-poo poo happened.

Further edit: The hairstyle is available for female lyns, yes (well, the ears are. iunno about the hair proper). They've stated all NPCs were made using the character creator, even the generic mobs so it stands to reason it should be?.

Edit: I should mention, remember how madun talks about how he's had a vision of you in the NA version when you meet him in the cave? well naturally that's changed. In KR he doesn't have a vision of you, he recognizes you as the person who saved his village because, naturally, you went back in time (inadverently because of his own incompetence) to do it! Stable time loops!

HapiMerchant fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 2, 2016

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
So what's this thing I keep hearing that LBD is 'bad' DPS? I was under the impression there was no 'required' party comps in BnS, even at 50 content. I keep getting kicked from 4man poharan for being an LBD?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The community is poo poo. But doesn't the party finder prevent you from being kicked as long as you aren't disconnected?

LBD does have lower sustained single target dps than other classes, but not enough to not run with one.

Well, it's either working or people just leave the group when they see me as an LBD. I do get that we're not as sustained, but it's not like we can't do any DPS. We're just more bursty (and with true profane proc and the proper lightning spec, i'm in draw stance more then i'm not honestly)

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

No, seriously. The community is loving toxic. I'm actually not sure what on earth has made it this bad, it goes rather beyond the simple toxicity of free to play masses or even debatable "anime game" toxicity (which I've often found to not be as true). You are getting kicked because pubbies are lovely about literally everything in this game, or at least the current high-end ones are.

It may get less bad as time goes on and things get populated, but right now the high end is just literally a canister of toxic waste. Run with Goons or there but for the grace of Hong go you. At least the lack of self-awareness makes for utterly delicious PVP salt, especially as a Summoner.

cathead posted:

Well, I sort of figured this might happen because Western players seem to get overly attached to the 'meta'.

It's mostly bullshit propagated by KR/TW players because people were having issues on some of the lv50 4mans and their tight enrage timers, and by design BDs are more burst than sustained in terms of raw numbers, and there's no DPS parser to tell people otherwise. So people look at it on paper and just assume it's not keeping up.

On top of that their grab is currently inferior to Destroyers; no crit buff, weird hitbox issues, and longer cooldown, which again caused some party dps issues. A lot of this was before some of the recent patches though where they've gotten some buffs. The grab still needs to be fixed though, I mean the talent to give it a crit buff is RIGHT THERE in the tree you just literally can't get it yet.

So naturally all the new players just take the KR/TW players word as gospel and don't ever try to figure things out any other way, despite none of those things I listed even being an issue at 45 because the enrage timers are super lax. I'm also convinced that it's just people not trying hard enough to do the fight correctly even on KR, since I've seen BDs do some of these 4mans just fine.

Thanks for the kind words. I agree the community just parrots anything KR says, because I also hear people say that come feb 10th and the (limited) hongmoon skills LBD gets crap at arena and that by the time 50 content hits LBDs will be bottom of the barrel trash. Basically, gently caress pubs, is what i'm saying.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Third World Reggin posted:

lol that sounds horrible

bad hours are a terrible thing. Don't ever contract them

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

Did they open up the 2nd daily dash? I like the Euro costume far more than the NA costume.

Not til the 10th, when new patch hits

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Third World Reggin posted:

I meant playing with leffe and harioshia

No one has answered my whispers so i think i'm getting memed on all the same.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

I meant they might have changed it so you DO get them rather than not. I think I was at that survey like two weeks ago. There's definitely a chance they added those in, they did mention they were increasing the amount of keys and such given out for free.

that is indeed a aprt of the patch notes from a patch or 2 back. They increased survey rewards to give more keys and charms. maybe they've added moonwaters back in too?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
https://twitter.com/BNSUnofficial/status/694631917614792704

Looks like branching weapon paths are already in game(the same way warlock stuff is I think. oathbreak is 50 cap i'm pretty sure)

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

chumbler posted:

You have beaten me again tonight, Dura. I'm beginning to think there is some special condition you have to meet to get her costume to drop, and I'm not meeting it.

This has probably been asked of you but you are a female gon, correct?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Gearhead posted:

Did a little checking on this. This combination would bypass the evolution chain that leads us to destroying the Hongmoon weapon to create the Pirate Soul accessory.

Pirate Soul is created as we start Act 4 (and start gaining new levels), by destroying our Hongmoon Weapon and using a weapon given to us by the story quest.

As I understood it you ground hongmoon weapon up to pirate, made pirate soul, then used gale? OR you stuck with hongmoon and turned it into gale once you hit true profane anyways and started act 4?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Gearhead posted:

Looks like the changeover point for us is after the True Siren step, we can either combine the Siren with the Pirate weapons, leading to what will create the Pirate Soul eventually..

...Or combine the Siren series weapon with the Stormbringer to create Oathbreaker, skipping ahead. Stormbringer is a lv 47 weapon.

EDIT: As a note, getting to True Siren is merely a matter of time and pressure. We can get the core weapons to create the Siren quite easily, from there it's just feeding enough resources to the process to complete it. And when Act 4's new area opens we're going to start seeing a high influx of soulstones.

So we do want to hit true siren 10, but then anything after is up for debate?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Oh is infinity tower the 2nd one you can see the the hogshead skybox?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why can't I loot the gathering locations that should give me recipes? They glitter, but the wiki shows the locations, but I can't loot them.

I'm missing the mushrooms for example. Do you need to find all 3 locations to "unlock" the thing?

You should only need one of the spots shown

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

:ohdear: Well I didn't mean to take the wind out of your sails.

That's odd, though, that the character isn't in the files. How is she rendered, then, I wonder?

Thanks for trying, at any rate, and if you find some way to do it, that preset would still be cool.

what the what

yes I am looking forward to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-3HSaQfx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq3Q6G3jcQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joff_1VbtLI

Enjoy! This game's music gets good

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Gearhead posted:

The music is already quite good, Poharan's theme rocks pretty drat hard, but it just keeps on getting BETTER.

Dynasty Poh-riors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J466BxjdKnQ

And then we'll get silverfrost's theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-N7uPo5A8M

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm actually curious, without spoiling much does Poharan become a recurring character later on? Between her insane popularity with the fanbases in Asia and her distinctive visual design and musical theme, she seems like a shoo-in to get elevated to "main cast status" in later acts.

Without spoilers? Yes. She shows up as a Big drat Hero in act 6. That's all I can safely say. All the blackram people get elevated, actually. The Blackrams are the most honest people in the game to the PC, save Mushin

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Karistar posted:

If I was to turn this into a plotline like in my animes:

I can almost imagine it in the sense of you beat up Poharan pretty hard and she starts having a love-hate relationship with you (because you beat her but she starts stalking you to learn from you), which gets the attention of her dad who doesn't approve of this sort of relationship and confronts you about it, who you then also beat up pretty hard, but following this he suddenly approves of you because you're stronger than him.

On a more serious side: Is Namsoyoo actually a Stratus Princess of a sort, or is the name of the pre-Talus princess mentioned in one of the sidequests at Taigong's Hideaway happen to have a similar name to her due to Korean naming conventions?

You may be thinking of Yunma Fei, the skyhaven resistance leader [and talus princess]

I think Namsoyoo is just important because she's a virgin and the ritual JSY needs to summon the dark lord needs a virgin (but she may have ties to Jiwan somehow too. Maybe. :iiam:)

Don't forget that the entire blackram narrative is basically this: Pc saves village, runs off gwon. Runs off gwon AGAIN, and ruins all his operations in the south continent. Then you end up saving Gwon's life. So now Gwon hates you but owes you a huge debt. He calls in his superior (Poh) who arrives back to oversee the moonwater supply chain. You beat the hell out of her and ruin thatoperation as well. Then you crash Hae mujin's own prowling ground, and wreck him as well. You basically did a klingon promotion, if you think about it.

HapiMerchant fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 4, 2016

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Found some stuff from Season 2 trailers that have poh in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFn3CShev3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qalPcMF25dg

cathead posted:

Just want to point out that Hae Mujin is her grandfather, not her dad. I want to pretend that her dad is just some ordinary guy with a normal job and the rest of his family is crazy pirates.

The real question is is hae mujin the paternal grandfather or maternal? If the latter, what guy got with crazy pirate princess to make pirate princess two?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

pot dogs are the poo poo and I wish we could roll them

I swear if we get pot dog race before we get lycandi i'll be very upset

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

well rip me

though wait, I swear Shin Gong is referred to with female pronouns, like, more than once, though if the translators hosed up his gender because of the hairstyle like I did, laffo

edit: yup, not even up for debate at this point:

vs.

so I guess I can add "misgendered an NPC in a videogame" to my Resume Of Ways I've Been Terrible

well, thanks for solving the mystery, Cao

and Reicere, you can probably find this NPC as a LynM if you want to get your project back on track

I actually can't recall Shin Gong referring to him/herself at all in either way, It's always "I will" or "i need you to"

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

chumbler posted:

There is literally no reason I can see for the wheel to drop a box that turns into exactly one thing rather than just drop that thing other than to waste time. But that's KMMO 101 I guess.

Probably because its easier to code/sort if everything is a box, even if some boxes simply have a loot table of exactly 1 item

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Your Computer posted:

So it turns out High Quality Fabric isn't enough for a transmutation box.. you need 10 regular Fabric and they cost like 4g a piece :suicide:

Is the only way to get fabrics still buying store costumes (aka. 15€)? And is there really a chance you go through all of that and just get a piece of fabric from the box?

Yyyyep. Bots crashed the price of fabric/HQ fabric, so they removed the ability to do it to any outfits save cash shop stuff. there are supposed to be outfits in the 50 patch we can salvage, as well as actually trade/sell, but no confirm on what it'llbe in western release. So enjoy your 40 dollar (or about 25gold) grab bag, with chance to fail and produce nothing!

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
So, protip for pro players. True Profane/Awakened Siren is up in the air, but DO NOT (unless you're a serious wallet warrior) bother with True siren until you've saved the elements and such up to just get to true 10 in one go. true siren 10 is just Awakened siren 10 with 6 extra attack power.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

jaffyjaffy posted:

A friend of mine linked me this earlier if any of the foreign server vets have any thoughts on it. The Soulstone statement I don't quite get since they look like they'll be easier than ever to get if we actually can buy them with beans next patch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/44nl4q/guide_for_feb_10_patch/

sounds like it's worth upgrading to true pirate anyways then, if only to skip straight to a 50 weapon

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Minorkos posted:

Okay so I told myself I would never play an MMORPG again but then I also recently felt a need to play an open world RPG with good combat and a class that I described to myself as "a guy with a samurai sword and lightning powers." Apparently this korean MMORPG has exactly that class so now I want to kill myself god drat

How bad is this game from a scale from Ninja Gaiden Black to Korean MMORPG

How long/uninteresting is the grind

Can you level up your dude with PvP

How many drugs should I pre-emptively take before I load this game up

It's pretty kmmo, but only at level cap

Leveling is so fast it's actually harder to level in NA then it is in KR, but then at 45 it's the typical mmo 'do dailies a lot'. Come the 10th, things get a lot more interesting both in choice of pve grind and the fact you now get rewards for pvp, which means you can if you'd like pvp for your progression instead of pveing. for both you and others, the processs on this is pvp ->earn zen beans->buy soulstone pouches with zen beans -> sell soulstones/keep them for your own progression

Yes, but you're going to get bloody dicked unless you roll certain classes. "guy with samurai sword and lightning" by the way, is the Lyn blade dancer, aka the tiny animal ears race version. This may or may not discourage you from playing it. It's one of those certain classes, by the by.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Minorkos posted:

oh my goooooooooooooood gently caress you korea

if you're willing to drop the lightning and replace it with "floating swords" and "teleporting behind you", you can have the Blade Master, which is available to Yuns (the female only elf race) or Jins (the normal human race) ((which can be guy or girl)). No giants for you though.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Minorkos posted:

This game is being published by NCSoft? Wow aren't they like the least incompetent mmorpg publisher? I actually had fun the last time I played GW2 since I was able to progress with PvP alone.

Okay I'm gonna give this a try since I got nothing else to play. I don't want to play as a furry race so can someone just tell me which class is the most like dagger/pistol thief in GW2? I liked jumping across the battle to deal a billion damage and then immediately jumping away. Or if the game is really like a fighting game then I want a class that plays like Ninja Gaiden somehow

Assassin, to both requests. You are a literal, no joke, ninja. Wooden logs, shurkins, izuna drop, the works.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Velveteen posted:

It costs a lot of money to feed blue weapons to siren level weapons and ends up being more than if you just crafted the elements and bought the soulstones. Purple weapons give a tiny bit more but costs 2 soulstones per feed and is not worth it. Crafting an element package only takes 30 powders, you get 5 powders for each purple weapon you salvage, along with 15 soulstones and 1.5 gold. Not to mention when I was crafting the element package, I got 4 elder dragon elements from a single element pack along with 3 regular elements. The elder elements sells for around 4g each. I assume they give massive amounts of exp but I already managed to max out my weapon before I needed it.

From what i saw elder dragon elements give less then the ones you transmute, but can be sold.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

chumbler posted:

I am beginning to wonder if Dura's outfit is even a possible drop.

You're in 'luck'. several of the droppable outfits get a pass in the cash shop, and I think bandit queen is one of em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Are you guys ready to FIGHT THIS DUDE AND STEAL HIS HAT FOR YOUR OWN USE TOMMOROW?

• Locked thread