Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

mightygerm posted:

All that being said, the ability to ani-cancel RB/LB properly will make or break your experience with the class. Its critical for dps in both pve and pvp (although pvp is a bit easier since you'll usually be in rage which has a different tempo.)

This is the part which keeps making me think twice about it being my first class. I know I can learn to execute the canceling just fine, but if past experiences in other games are any indicator I will not enjoy it. So, I am thinking about starting with BM or BD instead. Still not sure though. At the same time, it isn't like I cannot just try them all and decide which one to stick with later. Speaking of which, how many character slots do we get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

2DCAT posted:

Who will join FireWhizzle and I on our three man WWF tag team?!

This is how I feel whenever I PvP in an MMO. I'm the guy who is getting slammed by John Cena.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Anarkii posted:

Someone on reddit wrote a script to scrape character data via the public APIs and the spread of population is pretty hilarious

Mushin 50.46%
Jiwan 10.52%
Poharan 9.27%
Old Man Cho 7.09%
Master Hong 6.21%
Soha 4.80%
Yehara 3.91%
Iksanun 3.63%
Hajoon 2.30%
Juwol 1.81%

This is why "megaservers" should be the new standard.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Is the dungeon finder cross server? No speculative answers please.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

100% yes, and you can queue with goons manually on other servers, it is very easy to set up a lobby to do this.

I appreciate this. Thanks.

Basically I plan to do what I always do with F2P launches which is wait a full week and see what things look like once the dust has settled. I'd prefer to roll on Mushin because I enjoy the social aspect of joining a guild with goons, but I am one of those care bear casuals that plays MMOs for PvE 95% of the time just to relax. I don't mind waiting to see what the queue situation is after a week before I decide.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

VanillaGorilla posted:

Also, jesus christ even deleting a character has a 5 minute queue, who designed this lovecraftian nightmare?

This might actually be a smart thing rather than a sign of poor engineering. In anticipation of a huge launch rush, implementing a queue system for stuff like that can prevent server crashes which would take much longer to recover from than 5 minutes.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/topic/150530-hotfix-1202016/

quote:

A hotfix has been deployed to address the below issues:

1. An AFK auto-kick feature has been implemented

2. The queue time text has been changed
* Previously, the non-premium membership queue time would only display wait time for non-premium members and would not include the wait time from the premium membership queue
* Now, the non-premium membership queue time will display the total wait time including both premium and non-premium member

3. Fixed an issue where the confirmation message for upgrading a weapon could not be typed in French due to the word length

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I don't see how new servers will help since the main issue seems to be people all trying to be on the same few servers but cool I guess? I suppose that they are banking on their rotation of restricting character creation on servers to fix it.

https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/topic/150733-new-servers-coming/

quote:

With such a successful reception of the Blade & Soul launch, our servers have begun overflowing with players who are excited to jump into The Earthen Realm. Our servers are reaching their maximum capacity and many players are waiting in queues at this time.

We understand that waiting in a queue is not the most exciting experience and so we have taken—and are continuing to take—measures to help reduce queue times. We have significantly raised the maximum capacity of our servers, while ensuring they remain stable, and we've restricted character creation on servers as needed—which has helped balance population across all servers. We also offered a limited-time item transfer service to get people off of high population servers that ended earlier today.

On top of those, we also deployed a hotfix earlier today that will include the much-requested auto-kick feature for players who have been inactive, as well as addressing the queue time text that was not displaying correctly. You can view the hotfix notes here: https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/topic/150530-hotfix-1202016/

Finally, we’ve been working to open new servers as quickly as possible, and the servers are expected to be available in the next 48 hours. For those of you who have yet to start playing, or those of you who wouldn't mind starting over, it can be expected that wait times on them may be a bit shorter. We'll have more details on server names and the downtime schedule as soon as possible.

Please keep in mind that these queues exist because of an overwhelmingly positive demand to play Blade & Soul, and we ask for your patience as we're working around the clock to improve everyone’s game experience. Thanks again for your patience.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Liberatore posted:

Bad loving idea. In a week or two the original servers wouldn't even have queues, all this will accomplish is split the player-base even more. Why they even have servers when everything is heavily instanced is beyond me, especially with no paid server transfers for them to make money out of.

Then again, all of the important stuff is cross-server so ultimately it probably won't be what kills the game.

Yeah these are my thoughts as well. I think that it would be a much better idea to offer people incentives to transfer to low population servers.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Literally all the servers yesterday were capping out their queues during primetime.

I dont have any issues with developers adding more servers to cope during launch, in a f2p game a person thats not logged in isn't spending any money. The issue is if they leave the emptier servers stagnating instead of just consolidating them afterwards.

That is a good point but don't most MMOs have a history of leaving them stagnated for an exceedingly long period of time before doing something about it?

I guess we'll see what happens.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So I tried playing over the weekend. Game is pretty cool, but I suffered from lag. It ranged anywhere between 0.5-2.5 seconds when performing attacks. I am on Mushin. My question for you all is if the server I selected impacts the amount of lag I am experiencing? I am not even level 10 yet and I am not against starting over on a less populated server if it means no lag.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm on Old Man Cho which is as populated as Mushin (I.E. completely full at all prime time periods) and I have next to no lag, soooooo. Might be your internet.

Pretty certain it is not my internet since that is usually very stable for me. I am pretty sensitive to lag in general so the "next to no lag" you had on Old Man Cho might be what I experienced on Mushin. No way to tell.

Anyone playing on Mushin last night? How was lag for you?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mao posted:

For those people having what appears to be lag issues, apparently BnS has some FPS issues that could be the problem instead of your internet. I've read about people using tools to set the client to 'high priority' and that helping some. But apparently, it isn't coded the cleanest and so some of your issues might stem from that instead of your ping.

I know that I am not experiencing this sort of lag in any other action combat MMOs out there that I have tried (more than I care to admit) so this might be it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rylek posted:

Have you tried the 'true full screen' fix? I had micro stutter forever and it made the game unplayable for me. There is a FPS counter option in the settings, turn it on and monitor it while you play. If it never goes over 60 even when you're staring at the ground you're not in true full screen mode. Might help smooth the game out for you.

This assumes that what I am experiencing is an FPS stuttering issue and not actual lag right? I will turn on the counter tonight. It didn't feel like an FPS stutter though. It felt like lag but it is worth monitoring just in case.

Edit: I should mention that the only thing that appears laggy is skill input. Everything else in the game is running smooth as silk.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 25, 2016

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So after pouring through Reddit, I found that I am not the only person with this skill input lag problem. There appears to be several different kinds of common issues out there resulting in either input lag or low FPS but they are not one and the same (or so it seems).

One of them appears to be an issue related to software commonly installed with ASUS motherboards:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/41hg3o/psa_if_you_have_extreme_pingskill_lag_in_blade/

quote:

This is a weird issue, but if only Blade and Soul is giving you extreme lag (up to a full second to register skill activation), it might be an ASUS bit of software running.
Here's how to turn it off and fix the game:
1. Hit the START button, and in the search box type: services.msc
2. Locate "ASUSGameFirstService" in the list.
3. Right-click "ASUSGameFirstService" and got to "Properties"
4. Change the "Startup type:" option to "Disabled"
5. Press "Apply", then "Okay"
That's it, now you can play Blade and Soul normal. :)

EDIT:
OTHER POTENTIAL NAMES FOR THIS SERVICE: cFosSpeed, XFast LAN, Gigabyte Speed

The other issue seems to be related directly to the game's engine and involves input lag specifically with LMB and RMB clicks. I suspect that this may be the problem that I am experiencing, but I am not sure yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bladeandsoul/comments/41wv2n/workaround_fixing_the_input_lag_with_mouse_buttons/

quote:

As most of you are probably aware, the engine that Blade and Soul runs on has a noticeable amount of input lag with the mouse keys. You can test it yourself – stand still and mash your left click, observing your LMB skill. You'll notice that the blue highlight around your skill icon only flashes every ~200ms instead of whenever you press it. Then mash the R button (the alternate hotkey for your LMB skill) and you'll notice that it highlights much more quickly and accurately. This can become an issue when doing things like Destroyer animation cancelling or stacking Force Master debuffs and you'll see many streamers and high ranking players opting to use their LMB/RMB skills with keyboard shortcuts instead. However, if you're like me and and are used to using the mouse buttons for mostly everything then you're out of luck.

[goes on talking about workarounds/solutions]

Unfortunately, none of the workarounds that I have read about for mouse input lag sound very good. I am going to try several other things though. Or maybe it is nothing on my end and the server was just being lovely for about 2 hours at some point last night. No idea yet.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

Input lag is killer for me. It's actually more of a see button pop up, press button, see button highlight, nothing happens. I'm not much on being a button spammer :shobon:

It's not a big deal in PVE stuff, and open world PVP bu,t godamn, is it painful in Arena combat. Gonna play around with some settings to see if I can make it better.

I'm about to join you which pains me because I really like this game otherwise. While not as big of a deal, the input lag is ruining my PvE experience as well. It is making combat feel less like a combo system and more like a classic GCD based system because it causes me to purposely pause when I shouldn't be all of the time

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Finally figured out my input lag issue which is great because I was about to give up. I'm really enjoying the game now. Here are some patch notes for those poor unfortunate souls that are behind a firewall today:

quote:

Starting at January 27 3:00 AM PST / January 27 11:00 AM UTC, all servers will undergo maintenance for approximately 4 hours. An in-game notice will be given 30 minutes prior to the maintenance starting.

Below are the list of changes introduced within the update:

The amount of Hongmoon Keys and Hongmoon Unsealing Charms obtained from certain quests has been increased
Fixed an issue where the client would crash when using the Spar Request function in PvP Arena
Fixed an issue where the “Blue Porcelain” and “Scarlet Shade” costumes could not be put within the Wardrobe
Lowered the amount of Salt Lake Crystals required for the quest “Top Chef” from 7 to 5
The Healing Tonic given during the tutorial quest will now be bound to the hotkey 8 by default
Fixed an issue where it was possible to skip NPC dialogue by using the “F” key during a cinematic
Fixed certain chat commands (emotes) which were not working in French and German

Fixed an issue where items bought from the Hongmoon Store in French or German would display the English name in the mailbox
Fixed various localization issues

Based on the community's feedback, we have implemented the below highly requested features:

We have added a level 10 or below chat restriction for Region, Faction and Party Finder Chat Channels
We have removed the level restriction to report a bot or spammer

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

UchihaHirou posted:

Guild Wars 2 has really spoiled me on MMOs because it never has server downtime. What is this 2010 poo poo where I can't play for X number of hours because they need to do server maintenance once a week?

No server downtime. No PvE competition. Level scaling so I can always play with my friends regardless of level and still have fun. Pretty darn good "mega servers". Perhaps the best inventory management ever at least for an MMO. I could go on forever. GW2 has a lot of bad poo poo that I could talk about too, but you are right. The number of quality of life features in that game has spoiled me forever.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

What was the fix?

It's...really embarrassing because of how obvious it should have been. I had recently configured my torrent client to automatically start up and minimize itself to the system tray. Linux distros I swear. Totally forgot that I did that. :doh:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

cathead posted:

1v1 me kid i will loving crush you

do NOT gently caress with me

https://i.imgur.com/XlyW5P9.webm

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Due to the fact that developers cannot and probably will never be able to develop new content faster than the majority of their player base can consume it, the idea of collecting bear asses or repetitive tasks in general going away in favor of "something else" is pretty much a pipe dream. The best that one can hope for is that those repetitive tasks are more fun to complete which for me has a ton to do with the combat system and enemy AI. Beyond that, we can ask for a large variety of repetitive tasks to complete as well as many forms of PvE progression. We can also ask for multiple types of activities to contribute to each of those progression systems, but beyond that...what can be done that is fiscally viable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

No, I think that's fair. But on the other hand not having a VERY limited number of bears from who's rear end you can collect while utilizing an old style closed tagging system is pretty loving lovely.

I was doing a "Collect poo poo from these assholes" quest last night. It required I collect 10 of the stupid whatevers from these assholes. However there were only five spawnpoints where these assholes spawned, and they were on about a 3 minute timer. If I had been there by myself I'd have completed the whole quest in give or take 5-6 minutes based on respawn and ttk. But I wasn't there alone. I was there with 4 other people, which turned it into a 20 minute "Who's got the better reflexes" spawn camp. Shits not fun, and they should probably fuckin fix it, because that's straight up archaic mmo design.

Oh I agree 100%. What you are describing all ties into finding new creative ways to make the repetitive tasks more enjoyable. As far as that part goes, I think GW2 is king. Far from perfect, but they made a lot of progress on this issue by making PvE an almost completely non competitive activity. Regardless of one's love or hate for that game, if every MMO at least tried as hard as ANet tried to make MMO PvE a more enjoyable experience in GW2 then we have a much better genre.

• Locked thread