Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I will be in this. I will use the prompt "Rabbit falls through snow layers and suffocates."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Rabbit & Turtle 681 words. "Rabbit falls through snow layers and suffocates"

Turtle wanted to say he had animal instincts, but now that he was actually sneaking out with Rabbit, all he could honestly think about was the cold and the rear end-white night. He donned enormous earmuffs and a flannel greatcoat that almost touched his toes, but with the temperature reaching far below zero, he might as well have been venturing out in lingerie. His teeth were chattering out of his head, his upper lip was chilled with snot, his vision was blurry and useless against the sleet…

But Rabbit persevered. At this point, Rabbit was not just the eyes and ears of their operation, he was the hands, feet, nose, and mouth as well. Something about his mixed heritage had to have granted him a certain grace with the elements, although Turtle didn’t know the specifics; by the time they finally settled in behind a dilapidated wooden fence, he was just thankful that Rabbit hadn’t objected to half-hauling him for the last mile.

Beyond the fence, an old frayed shack was barely visible. It hunched there in the middle of the snow-piled field like some sort of lonely Ice Age behemoth.

“It’s armed to the teeth,” puffed Rabbit, after a moment of frozen silence. Turtle remained hunched against the fence, but tilted his eyes up quizzically. “I mean weapons,” Rabbit explained. “Weapons, out there.”

“The shack? For real?”

A tense tilt of the head that might have been a nod.

“How do you know?”

“Buddy of mine got the word.”

Turtle cracked a smile. “Did you give this buddy a wack codename, too?”

Rabbit glared and blew on his fingers.

“You know I don’t even like turtles,” Turtle continued. “I saw one getting its shell brushed once. It was, like, rubbing up against the bristles. They have a bunch of nerves there or something. It’s disgusting.”

The two then fell back into silence. It was unclear what exactly Rabbit was planning, but Turtle felt he had asked too many questions. He knew he was a burden already.

Without warning, Rabbit hopped the fence and crouched on the opposite side, holding his hand up against Turtle’s approach. Hiking his hood up higher on his head, he proceeded to stoop towards the shack. Turtle squinted on. From a distance, he looked like a big beetle inching across the landscape. When he got near the shack he stopped and began circling one corner of the place, leaning right and left as if looking for or signalling someone.

And then, suddenly, he was gone.

Turtle hadn’t been able to see too clear, but the field was most definitely and most abruptly empty.

“poo poo,” he muttered, struggling up and hastily dusting snow off himself. He leaned over the fence and looked as hard as he could, unsure if he could shout. Aside from 7 meters of tracks, there wasn’t a trace of anything. “poo poo! poo poo!”

Now, panicking, Turtle immersed himself in the depth of the field and hobbled after Rabbit’s footsteps, his body tripping over his mind. Nothing bad was supposed to have happened. Did something bad happen? What could he have done?

A few feet ahead: “Trevor!”

Turtle didn’t hear it the first time, as he stumbled upon a gaping hole in the ground. Then it appeared again, a cracking, high-pitched half-cry. Rabbit had forgotten codenames.

“Trevor! Are you there!”

Turtle collapsed in place and stared into the hole, eyes straining. “What the gently caress,” he hissed, “Sam, are you down there?”

A short silence. “They dug the poo poo out!”

“What? Sam, what the gently caress? What the gently caress?”

“They dug the fucker out! I dropped right through! God dammit! Trevor!”

“Oh my god, are you alright?” Both voices were reduced to a whimper. Turtle began frantically swiping away at snow around the hole, knees trembling.

“I can’t even loving see you, Trevor! God dam—”

Turtle’s coat caught under him as he scooted forward and toppled himself and a massive load of slush into the hole. The ground somehow gave away like water as he screamed.

As they both screamed.

Bandiet fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 27, 2016

• Locked thread