Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
No comments on Bernies album? That was freaking amazing. I've always wanted a Larry David spoken word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"Does the lottery exploit the poor?"

"Telling the poor that if they work hard they'll be rich exploits the poor."

Not an exact quote but that was a good line from Rory from the panel. Also they should keep Ricky Valez off the panels.

Also that Daily Show interview... Ugh. It's people like this that keeps me from candidly talking about politics because so many people are more concerned about keeping score than having a good faith discussion.

Also Al Madrigal still exists. That bit. :(

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Colbert did a bit about the Bernie Sanders folk album literally months ago.

And don't get me wrong, I rarely watch Colbert at all these days.

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
Colbert's new show is not very good. Its like the TV version of luke warm water.
Basically all the good stuff in late night comedy died with ferguson and stewart.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I like Trevor, but that interview with Rand Paul is one of those times I wish Jon was still there. That was loving weak.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

kittenmittons posted:

I like Trevor, but that interview with Rand Paul is one of those times I wish Jon was still there. That was loving weak.

And that's the thing I say to people that say Trevor needs time to get more comfortable in the role: He'll never have the insight Jon Stewart had and still has. He was born and raised here. He knows the score. He just gets it. And most importantly, he's quick with his wits and wisdom to slam anything or anyone on their bullshit. I think it's been mentioned before, but most of the time, he acted like the father most people want or wished they had and he was speaking for younger generations.

I like Trevor too, but he'll never have that special something Jon had.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oh please. The first couple years of Jon's run loving sucked.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
And people were always complaining that Jon wussed out on crushing the conservative guest most of the time.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

jojoinnit posted:

And people were always complaining that Jon wussed out on crushing the conservative guest most of the time.

He did. Jon was often the worst part of the show. I mean he was never bad but he really never hit the highs of Colbert or Oliver. He's just not a great comedian. But man the guy could care hard and he basically reinvented political satire. Trevor just needs to build himself some rage. Right now nothing is as bad as Africa. We've got to hit him with shittier things. Like exploding baby veteran bad.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Charles Martel posted:

And that's the thing I say to people that say Trevor needs time to get more comfortable in the role: He'll never have the insight Jon Stewart had and still has. He was born and raised here. He knows the score. He just gets it. And most importantly, he's quick with his wits and wisdom to slam anything or anyone on their bullshit. I think it's been mentioned before, but most of the time, he acted like the father most people want or wished they had and he was speaking for younger generations.

I like Trevor too, but he'll never have that special something Jon had.

Inversely, I think Tervor's overseas origins can be a boon to him, though thus far he's tapped into more for naivety and confusion over America's issues to try and show how crazy they are, rather than having a more globally informed perspective on issues. Probably the closest I can think of is when Trevor gets to make dictator jokes, since he comes from a continent where those have been and actually still are a thing, compared to people just randomly yelling 'King Obama' like it actually means something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Noah spends 17 years covering the worst of US politics I think he'll eventually get a sense of that thing Stewart knew about it.

Stewart wasn't the guy in those first years that he ended up being. He was a comic with a failed MTV show. Everyone's got their starting points. Noah's perspective is different and that might take getting used to for some, but the longer he's doing it the more his experiences will echo Stewart's.

All in all I don't think its a bad thing that there's a new perspective on things. Do I miss Stewart's perspective? Sure. It was a part of my media intake for the entirety of my politically engaged life. But life moves on and I'm fine getting new perspectives from the likes of Noah and Oliver.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mendicant posted:

Colbert's new show is not very good. Its like the TV version of luke warm water.

:stare:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mendicant posted:

It's not as good as the Report but it's not bad at all, aside from the dumbass band.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

It's not as good as the Report but it's not bad at all, aside from the dumbass band.

The first 15 or so minutes are enough to sate the still-lingering heartache from the Report ending. The interviews are mostly boring, but then they were never that great on TCR either so I can still turn my TV off around midnight.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Yeah, everyone needs to shut the gently caress up about Trevor not having the on-demand insight Jon had. You just sound stupid. Jon was reading the news and interviewing people and living and breathing American politics on a daily basis for over a loving DECADE. Trevor is a really smart guy, he will get there. And in fact he's already much better than Jon was at this stage. He just doesn't have the time-accrued wisdom that comes from experience -- YET. I'd much rather see him doing what he is now, i.e. taking it easy on guests while he gets his feet under him, than going after them hard and getting shot down by experience.

On another note, who the hell let Rand wear that outfit? jfc what a garbage way to dress.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

The first 15 or so minutes are enough to sate the still-lingering heartache from the Report ending. The interviews are mostly boring, but then they were never that great on TCR either so I can still turn my TV off around midnight.

There's often a second comedy segment after the first interview but I wouldn't necessarily say it's worth fast forwarding to it always.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

jojoinnit posted:

Yea I love how in the very thread were we constantly bitched about Jon going too easy on guys like, say, Bill O'Riley and Mike loving Huckabee suddenly they think Rand Paul would get anything more than the savage treatment of 'you don't REALLY think (absurd belief) right? *awkward laughter as audience boos* yikes'.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't see the problem, the best thing Trevor could do in the first few months of his tenure is ensure that only establishment left wing or apolitical guests will appear on his political satire show by being hostile to anyone he disagrees with.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pillow Hat posted:

Trevor is a really smart guy, he will get there. And in fact he's already much better than Jon was at this stage.

Honestly, I don't think that's fair either. It might be true but just like we should consider the circumstances of Noah's start we should consider the show Stewart inherited. It was a completely different show without the emphasis on politics it has now, nor the standing and respect it has. It had to grow into that show and Stewart with it. Noah gets that show in its finished form, which puts a higher standard he's judged with but also means he's starting from a place lot closer to the finishing line than Stewart did.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Give Him Time ™

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I know most goons here don't or won't watch TNS but their bit on the Oscar snubs panned out to be more or less on point which I found amusing.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Should I bother watching the rest of that Rand "debate" online? Does he say anything new that we haven't heard him say over and over again? Also, why does he constantly tell hosts that he does not want to talk about pot? I didn't know you can shy away from serious debate subjects if you're running for President.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 14, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

AndyElusive posted:

I know most goons here don't or won't watch TNS but their bit on the Oscar snubs panned out to be more or less on point which I found amusing.
It wasn't laugh out loud funny, but I appreciate it because I'll welcome any bashing of racist Hollywood. It's one of those subjects that I think Nightly should indulge on because it's the kind of subject that a more subversive, edgy, niche late night show (which is what I feel Nightly should be) should go after. Of course, most of Nightly is, for lack of a better metaphor, weak tea.

I doubt Will Smith really gave a memorable performance in Concussion but the observation that only white people can win Oscars for movies nobody's seen is a sharp one. I like Eddie Redmayne but he's getting nominated yet again for a super Oscar-baity movie. I didn't even know there was another positively-received trans movie that came out in 2015. Yep, the Oscars will once again be pretty white.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 14, 2016

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Tom Hardy deserves that supporting role for being a completely irredeemable piece of poo poo. Most movies would make the antagonist have a positive trait or something, Hardy's character would've literally been curb stomping puppies if he'd come across any.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SyRauk posted:

Should I bother watching the rest of that Rand "debate" online? Does he say anything new that we haven't heard him say over and over again? Also, why does he constantly tell hosts that he does not want to talk about pot? I didn't know you can shy away from serious debate subjects if you're running for President.

It's not that he doesn't want to debate it, he knows that many of his supporters are idiots that only care that he's pro-legalization and don't know anything about his batshit crazy beleifs beyond that and gosh darn it he's a serious candidate, no really, he is! His mom even said so!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Trevor really didn't enjoy drinking that whiskey.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

GreenNight posted:

Trevor really didn't enjoy drinking that whiskey.

That's what I gathered from it as well. Oh well, whiskey ain't for everybody.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
It wasn't prop whiskey?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, it looked so red...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It might as well been fake and Noah was just acting.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Trevor's was fake, Rand Paul's was real. They even alluded to it that during the interview

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I will also say that the recent highlights for me were the Fox News criticizing Obama for not shedding tears about The Right Thing (where I literally raised my eyebrows and said "Really?!" out loud, the segment about sneakers with the Sneaker Don, and Roy Wood Jr.'s recent sketch.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Roy is the best correspondent on the show right now

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Roy should've been given the main chair. There, I said what we were all thinking.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Disagreed. Roy is my favorite correspondent, but I think you need someone with a more middle-of-the-road style as host.

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
you know what i want to hear more about in the next episode of TDS that i will not watch: africa

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

The dude is African! Get over it! He's relating to the news and jokes in a familiar way!

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Yeah imagine if Jon would have played up his Jewishness or do some kind of goodfellas-esque voice schtick regularly. Dude wouldn't have lasted a season!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pillow Hat posted:

Disagreed. Roy is my favorite correspondent, but I think you need someone with a more middle-of-the-road style as host.

Yeah, the host is always the straight man who allows the correspondents to go wild, it's fundamental to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Trevor's was fake, Rand Paul's was real. They even alluded to it that during the interview

That was a genuinely funny moment from Rand.

• Locked thread