Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Gotta say that if Lindsey Graham had showed up to play pool and talk poo poo w/ Trevor six month ago, he might have gotten my vote.

It was odd that they were playing on a snooker table though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Oh Snapple! posted:

Honestly the "kids these days" discussions just make me wonder who they think their primary demo actually is.
People old enough to remember when Craig was the host?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah I think Trevor's been doing a lot better in the last month or so as well. I noticed the other night that they changed the interview desk to have a small partition on the guests' side - I assumed to stop making women need to worry about crossing their legs etc, as they sat down and shifted back and forth in the chair. I seem to recall a couple guests on Jon Stewart's version mention how the chair actually had locked wheels so they couldn't skootch back and forth, which would be awkward as gently caress for me personally.

IRQ posted:

They've extended the definition of "millennial" out into the early-mid 30s aged, so that covers people who remember Killborn and serves as yet another indicator that "millennial" is a loving meaningless term only used by the media and grumpy old codgers.
You must be a Millennial..?

I'm 37 now - I'm too young to be Gen-X despite having being a freshman/soph in high school when Cobain died, and having grown up listening to early 90s hip hop and mid-late 90s grunge - my first Concert was Metallica and then they released that Fuel album and I stopped litening to them entirely because they turned to trash and bitched about Napster..! My older brother (who grew up listening to Twisted Sister and Motley Crue) is 47, and is considered Gen-X despite being a total hair-metal throwback, as well as all the guys he grew up with who literally would not have looked out of place in Heavy Metal Parking Lot or Dazed & Confused (this was pretty much my first concert experience as well, but I was 12 at the time), when I was growing up. I'm more Gen-X than most folks older than me, but apparently I'm Gen-Y or Millennial or some poo poo.

Welcome to being defined by people who don't actually know what the age group's culture was actually like, because they were too busy working at Rolling Stone/etc and writing about "the kids these days," and how they just don't have the work ethic/gumption/etc as the previous crop had! ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 26, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GreenNight posted:

Did anything interesting happen? I've been sitting at a Mexican resort for the past 8 days and have not read any news nor watched any tv.
Lindsey Graham is possibly the best guest on the show in the whole last 30 days, hands down.

Also playing on a snooker table was weird, but possibly Trevor is used to a larger table, and Graham def has enough chops to make up for the hugeness of playing on one.. Plus he did the same poo poo my grandfather did as a kid (aka "bar back" which also means at that age, that you'd be the bar's in-house pool shark to take down hustlers who wandered in and stripped the other patrons of their hard-earned beer money.) I was flat impressed by both, but mainly Graham.. There were definitely at least a few shots which were edited out because multiple misses are boring, but there were impressive shots made on both sides (although nobody called Trevor on his no-call slop shot, after the break).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Goddamn, even Jesus only took 3 days off for Easter!

That Cuban bit was embarrassing though.. The best they could come up with was just a stupid latin dance sketch?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

Isn't knife and fork pizza yet another of Trumps culinary war crimes? He only orders steak well done and has never had coffee or alcohol. He's literally unamerican.
Yep. Definitely not the worst pizza atrocity he's responsible for, though!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The jokes are often just there for fun and not overtly cynical or containing a message. Not all of them, but a lot less are the pointed, "You're hurting America!" style of Stewart after he'd had a few years to get situated and comfortable.

I mean it'll take a while before Trevor has the experience to pull something like this off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 17, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
angry white people

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Does anyone outside of New York actually give a poo poo about Hamilton? Can normal humans at least watch it on DVD or something?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JazzFlight posted:

Well, there's an official cast recording album (...and a bootleg video recording that's pretty watchable, psst!), but other than that, it's one of those "pony up a couple hundred dollars and wait a year" types of musicals right now. It's definitely worth listening to if you haven't already.

It is frustrating though knowing that they won't record the play for a retail video release.
There was a Journey to the West done by Gorillaz that looked wicked in the trailers, but I don't know if it'll ever end up as something I can rent or buy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0tBKB2_PA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL3HOVBgOQs

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I forgot to watch the episode on 4/20 but then I saw they had Sturgill Simpson. The cover of In Bloom was cute but uninspired, he'd have done a lot better with 'Turtles All the Way Down', especially on 4/20. Sturgill Simpson ranks up there with Joe Rogan for "does a lot of mind-altering poo poo".

But yeah if you don't mind a country twang, Sturgill Simpson is hilarious and sharp as hell.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The most shocking part of that whole thing was Don Lemon proving that he is in fact human and not Ric Romero in blackface

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

Usually Vice is douchey in the other direction though.
A lot of their earlier stuff was a lot less, uhh, informed? I seem to recall someone (Eddie Huang maybe?) doing an expose on prostitution and drugs in thailand by going to thailand and buying and taking a lot of drugs while paying for and having sex with hookers.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

Well Eddie Huang is a huge piece of poo poo so that would make sense.
It's funny because in the last year or two they've really shifted gears. A lot of it seems to be their Viceland channel but a lot of their stuff is actually really good, and goes into niches that nobody else looks into or covers. States of Undress and Gaycation are pretty awesome, and Huang's World captures a lot of the feel of an older Bourdain show episode where he hangs out with his bros and waxes philosophical about family in between food-spergs. Except they film the part where he does all the local drugs, too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

Oh come off it, the worst the media did was not give him any coverage early on.

I voted for Sanders and I absolutely refuse to vote for Hillary in the general, but there's no grand conspiracies going on.
go ask Melissa Harris-Perry about her stance on your views, based on recent experience

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
you guys are aware that Bernie marched with King, right?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've got no idea because Trump's finance chair is busy hitting people with folding chairsforeclosures http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/05/trump-s-new-money-man-has-a-repulsive-record-of-throwing-homeowners-out-on-the-street.html

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
dude, you need to work on your run-on sentences because :psyduck:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

VagueRant posted:

Seeing people legit saying "guys, you HAVE to vote for the person we don't want in office just to beat the other guy who's even worse" is like the ultimate expression of a completely corrupted and failed democracy.

It's not quite as bad as the people who actually agree with Bernie on everything but supported Hilary because they thought her centrism would make her more appealing to the people they disagree with, and so they gave up on their principles and voted against their conscience thinking they were realpolitik chessmasters playing at "electability".

I'm so glad that type failed here in the UK. The whole desperate left-wing "let's pick a candidate who appeals to our political enemies instead of generating support for our actual side" is the most pathetic thing, I swear to god.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdxLohjwhoQ

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

raditts posted:

Kind of weird how that second segment was just straight stand-up routine.
Yeah it feels as though someone in the background made an executive decision that 1/3 or more of each daily show episode has to be basically an SNL sketch, complete with a Chris Farley clone or similar. The "keystone cops" level jokes and skits during the rest of many episodes really reinforce for me, that The Daily Show has been called to heel, put on a leash, and they will not be tugging at their chain anytime soon.

I mean Desi's sketch on how much it sucks to be a new mom was really cutting-edge material during the current election cycle but I'm just sayin'

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr Christmas posted:

Am I going crazy? Am I like one of those people who actually sees Michelle Obama as ugly?
She's a handsome woman, but that underbite is pretty hardcore, makes her look like she just stepped out of the boxing ring and hasn't spit out her mouthguard yet.

raditts posted:

We get it, TDS, you guys don't like Bernie and all his supporters are "bernie bros"
I was listening to a recording of a bernie rally from the other day, and his supporters can be heard referring to each other as bernie bros.

Get over it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GutBomb posted:

I didn't realize every Bernie supporter was present at this particular rally and able to be heard on this recording.
Being an insufferable Bernie supporter is your posting gimmick, or your actual fursona?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'd find that more of a burn except for the fact that CNN's got a pass in my book so long as it keeps putting stuff like United Shades of America on. Guess what I'm watching a lot more reliably than Nightly Show?

(Also Kamau Bell had the perfect retaliatory shot already when he was on Colbert: "Larry says he remembers when CNN was all news, but I remember when the show after The Daily Show was funny.")
so Bell goes pure hipster and just name-drops the puppet show

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Echo Chamber posted:

Not sure if it was a good idea for both shows to sit out Monday. Even if they can't prepare anything, a lot of poo poo happened since they took their break. I assume they're planning Friday shows for both conventions... so maybe that's understandable.

The recap show didn't include Jon's glee when Trump first rode down that escalator. It was a more innocent time.

Also if you haven't seen Monday's Colbert, what the hell is wrong with you? Watch it now.

Every news show is crazy messed up right now, half my larger podcasts are a week since an update.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr Christmas posted:

Maybe it's because I'm white and therefore not as likely to be physically attacked by them, but the frothing racists scare me less than the people who ostensibly aren't, but are okay with going along with everything that happened last week anyway.

What do you mean by "everything last week?" I apologize, but im not scanning

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I heard something on a podcast (I'm thinking bbc world news) a day or three ago, where a british journo was interviewing folks at the convention form both sides and then talking to a few of them afterward, and at least one good old boy was mortified at how much he'd gotten swept up in the crowd, and admitted he didn't agree with or stand for half the poo poo he'd cheered for and chanted.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr Christmas posted:

I mean the general insanity of the RNC.

I guess I can understand being caught up by a charismatic speaker. But I can't see where talk of Trump's charisma comes from. He just rambles incoherently, and "This thing will be good" isn't exactly soaring rhetoric. Even his initial comment about Mexican rapists was mincing and non-committal. And that's before you consider that he looks like my cat's rear end.
The thing is that you're overestimating the depth of inquiry of most of the people he's caught up in the rush. His inane and incoherent ramblings are almost literally the kind of word-salad that people with a little background in sociology, speech, history, and writing would make up as a joke or exercise. Almost everything he says is lifted directly from the "Wow, what a great crowd! I really love being here in <X>" *waits for applause to die down* ",the home of the <Y>!!!" *waits for applause to die down. "Now let me tell you some stuff about how nothing's your fault, and you'll be given everything back that was ever taken from you in your whole life, and you'll be too busy agreeing to actually hear most of what I said because you're too busy losing your poo poo at every phrase you CAN recognize!" *crowd goes insane*

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The "What to Expect When You're Expectant" episode was boring as gently caress, I felt like I was watching a very special flashback episode of some show where they just played a montage of the last few seasons because one of the actors ODed or some poo poo. It's the first time I haven't finished watching TDS (and that counts skipping boring interviews) in a long time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr Christmas posted:

In the same press conference, he also and revealed that he thinks the Geneva Convention is outdated and that he didn't know who Hilliary's running mate is.

If either of those things or the Russia stuff had been said in that speech by itself, it would be considered the du,best thing a presidential candidate ever said.
Nobody knows who Tim Cain is

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
16 people just died in a balloon accident.

nice timing, Trevor

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
NYT had a story about Larry Wilmore's show getting axed. Apparently Wilmore is saying it's linked to "Unblackening", which could either be him saying CC is trying to trim black people, or a reference to his Unblackening bits on the election.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

The show being about race should have helped it if anything, because, sadly, we're having a whole lot of very prominent issues with race in this dumb country right now. I dislike the term "mining outrage" as applied to John Oliver/Jon Stewart but man if Larry had wanted to go hard on that route he could have. But instead he did all the stuff that has already been pointed out as being bad about the show and sat there giggling.

And yeah I love Norm but that sports show was a disaster. I don't think Norm has it in him to do a regular show like that.
Norm reminds me a lot of Adam Corolla in that regard. You kinda enjoy him but only in small doses, and hopefully as a supporting cast member. Neither of them can command a room and discussion like Colin Quinn or Jon Stewart.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Steve Vader posted:

The comedians who used to love Cosby were not usually that way due to The Cosby Show, which was certainly a massively popular show at the time - I remember some point in the 90s, TV Guide described it as "the last show we all watched together," meaning both as families and as a country, before cable really hit its stride and splintered audiences. But the big Cosby fans were about his stand-up albums from back in the day - telling stories from when he was a kid who got beat and not the parent beating his kids - because they were so full of complete goofball embellishment, weird voices, and exuberant charm that they made him a highly entertaining storyteller. I listened to those albums constantly as a boy and they informed a great deal of what coalesced into my sense of humor as an adult, and I imagine it was the same for a lot of comedy appreciators/practitioners. And that's why it was such a huge, arresting moment when I saw some random person on tumblr refer to Bill Cosby as a rapist and my brain went into panic mode. "WHY WOULD SOMEBODY SAY THAT? I HAVE FAT ALBERT T-SHIRTS!" And the more I learned, the more devastated I was that this guy I'd enjoyed so much was a goddamned creep-monster. And of course, I have friends who love making edgy Cosby rape jokes that just make me nauseous to this day. I kinda like Jim Jeffries, but I turned off his new special when he started going into Cosby stuff. I still feel horrible about it.

Even before that really broke, though, he was looking really "off his meds" on talk shows. The last thing I remember seeing that was fun was when he was on Letterman and he actually climbed a ladder up to the balcony to hang with the fans up there. He was on Jimmy Fallon not long before everything crashed and he was kind of wandering the whole set like he might as well have been drunk.
Punky Brewster was a much more important figure in my formative years of TV watching than Cosby. His old standup was okay, but that was a hell of a lot of :words: on Cosby bro

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tarlibone posted:

It's an age thing, probably, and really, Cosby deserves a lot of words. In order to appreciate why some people are so reluctant to fully believe the accusations that have been made against him, it's important to understand just how deep Cosby is ingrained in popular culture--in particular, we're talking about comedy. I'm sure that for most goons, Cosby is the guy who was on that TV show that was on NBC when you were toddlers and that was in reruns forever. You know, the middle class black family where the kids had 14 different jazz musician grandparents and you needed earplugs to look at the sweaters. And yes, that show as amazingly popular--it took the Simpsons to knock it off its throne, and it only did so because by then, the show was winding down. But for decades, he was one of the kings of stand-up, and he managed to do it without working blue.

People my age remember the Cosby show fondly because, for a 1980s sitcom, it was heads and shoulders above the rest. We also remember Bill Cosby: Himself, a filmed stand-up routine from 1983 (I think?) that featured some of his best late comedy work. Before that, there were many records, going back a few decades. Yes, people used to buy comedy albums that weren't full of Adam Sandler songs. And again, all of this was non-blue. It was comedy you could listen to with your kids, but it wasn't kid comedy. The image he worked so hard to craft with his comedy, Fat Albert, and the Cosby Show (and perhaps even I Spy) is the only image folks my age (and older) had of the guy because he was so controlling of his public persona. Suddenly hearing that four hundred thousand women all have the same story about him drugging them and then coma-raping them, during the height of his popularity nonetheless? One is so incongruent with the other that even if you want to believe it (and most of us don't), it's just really hard to accept.

Until very recently, going up against the 'Coz was like tugging on Superman's cape. Now, it's more like tugging on Ghost Dad's gossamer-thin premise. He's down to playing up the frail old man bit, something I usually see when elderly Illinois politicians go to prison for felonies. Crazy.
I guess you're a little bit younger than me because I remember his old comedy records and I don't recall them being as non-blue as you. I always looked at him as kind of an Eddie Murphy who found a good niche and changed his image, rather than actually thinking he was some kind of icon of the american nuclear family. I mean I was watching his show in grade school, but I was listening to his records when my folks went camping and got drunk with their friends when I was a toddler. When I think of Cosby I remember the "titty-pump" routine, not his jello commercials.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 20, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mavric posted:

I watch it on the TDS comedy central site with no problems? I'm west coast though so by 11pm its already up a free.
I have a lot of streaming issues on the comedy central site but I suspect it's because I moved and ended up in a neighborhood that comcast hates. They tend to have the previous night's episode up by 8am PST the next day but it's a little inconsistent.

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm not sure what a party model is but it sounds like a good direction for Hulu to take
I'm thinking chat window along the side, sort of like a twitch stream?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've gotta say that Bill Clinton had the most graceful reaction to that balloon bomb I would have thought possible. Then his comment about how he wished someone had hooked him off stage was great.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Echo Chamber posted:

I've been pretty unimpressed with Bill Clinton interviews for a few years now.

Maybe it's just my shifting politics. But I think it's more of Bill just rambling on and on.

What are you expecting? He said it in that interview - he's out of the game and loving it

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I think that one of the things that Trevor misses, is anger. He just never feels unbuttoned. He can be funny, smart, sharp, charming, somber, etc, but I literally cannot think of a single instance when he's allowed himself to use anger on stage. I wonder how much of that comes from his race and background, but it is something that he hasn't pulled out of his quiver - if it was ever in it.

Stewarts "best of" moments are often when he's actually mad at someone or what they represent, and he goes right for the heart using a variety of techniques. Trevor dumps balloons on a man who recently told a crowd full of BLM protestors that they need to stop black on black crime before worrying about police profiling and brutality.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tarlibone posted:

Josh Gad is the worst. Put any noun after "worst" you want, it'll be true.

Olivia Munn... I'd forgotten about her. She was on TDS for just a couple of moments, both of them unfunny. She reminded me of someone who was told during the job interview that she'd be doing one job--say, paying customer's insurance claims--but then she showed up to the job, and they told her that she'd be selling yachts instead. And only paid commission. And she'd only be able to sell them in the market of Ferguson, Missouri.
The thing about Munn is that you've gotta give her credit for how far she's come. She started off as a pinup model and video game show booth babe or something, started doing videogame journalism and got on G4TV etc, then broke through that ceiling and moved over to actrual television, and now she's an actress showing up in some pretty big movies. She's no Catherine Hepburn but she's really the epitome of climbing your way to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
She's way too sharp to not know that. She's simply a Republican due to emotional baggage, she said it herself.

edit: my father is very similar. In his actions, philosophy, and beliefs, he's totally a liberal/progressive, but he grew up on a farm and registered Republican, and despite being a teacher and watching every single Republican candidate in his state try to abolish public school systems, he's still a Republican. He just never realized that he's a pre-Goldwater republican, and like a frog being boiled to death slowly, he never noticed the changes because they were gradual.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 14, 2016

• Locked thread