Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Count me as a fan of Noah and his crew. I like Wood and Lydic a lot and Wiliams and Klepper are coming into their own as the vets, I think. There's growing pains and episodes that miss but there's always been episodes that miss. The changes confuse and scare me because I'm old but I recognize that nothing actually changes by Noah standing up or the theme music changing. I continue to watch the Daily Show happily and with no sense of obligation.

I've long ago given up on the Nightly Show and every occasional viewing doesn't make me reconsider.

Gyges posted:

Trevor has to build up his reputation to the point where Jon was, which was part of why the guests were generally good by the time Jon quit. Of course Jon did still have guests you don't care about, but you forgot about them over time so you have a skewed view of the average Daily Show guest. Most of the time the guest portion is the weakest part of the episode anyway and the most common viewing recommendation is to watch the first two segments and either fast forward to the moment of zen or turn it off.

Yeah, you have to assume that a lot of Stewart's interview gets came because of Stewart's reputation and handling of interviews. Noah isn't going to be landing presidents and world leaders just because he took Stewart's job. He'll have to slowly pick up some legitimate interviews on a lower level and build up his skills/rep. Again, it goes back to us comparing Stewart in his 17th year vs Noah in his 1st. In some ways he's going to have to start at the beginning. Getting any old actor trying to sell movies is easy. Getting politicians and actually important people is tougher.

I admit I find myself skipping the interviews more often than not these days and more frequently than I did with Stewart, but it will take time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Noah spends 17 years covering the worst of US politics I think he'll eventually get a sense of that thing Stewart knew about it.

Stewart wasn't the guy in those first years that he ended up being. He was a comic with a failed MTV show. Everyone's got their starting points. Noah's perspective is different and that might take getting used to for some, but the longer he's doing it the more his experiences will echo Stewart's.

All in all I don't think its a bad thing that there's a new perspective on things. Do I miss Stewart's perspective? Sure. It was a part of my media intake for the entirety of my politically engaged life. But life moves on and I'm fine getting new perspectives from the likes of Noah and Oliver.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pillow Hat posted:

Trevor is a really smart guy, he will get there. And in fact he's already much better than Jon was at this stage.

Honestly, I don't think that's fair either. It might be true but just like we should consider the circumstances of Noah's start we should consider the show Stewart inherited. It was a completely different show without the emphasis on politics it has now, nor the standing and respect it has. It had to grow into that show and Stewart with it. Noah gets that show in its finished form, which puts a higher standard he's judged with but also means he's starting from a place lot closer to the finishing line than Stewart did.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Count me as one of those who isn't a fan of Chieng. He's the one correspondent I'm not a fan of. He seems to just have one or two jokes and I don't find either funny enough to keep laughing at. I'm not hating him or anything. I hope he rounds out as a comic and he could maybe benefit from working with the other correspondents more. But right now when I see him I'm kind of prepared for a disappoint segment.

I will say that the one moment of that segment I enjoyed was the classic Daily Show moment where the rear end in a top hat being mocked doesn't realize what's happening.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreenNight posted:

Oliver and Colbert were on the Daily Show learning from Jon for years before they got their own shows.

Yeah, they hardly were starting from the same spot Noah is. He had like 3 segments before he got the gig.

Plus I'm not even sure we're making the same comparison now. Colbert was playing a character which is totally different. Plus one of the main complaints about Noah is his interviews and Colbert's interviews were always something completely different. I don't remember Oliver being especially good or bad at them and they're not a part of his show now.

This debate is redundant so I keep trying to avoid it. Its just "Noah isn't as good as Jon"/"Give him time to grow in it"/"He doesn't have IT" over and over. I don't know. I enjoy the show so I don't mind the growing pains. I compare that to Nightly which I just couldn't struggle through after a few weeks. If Noah's TDS doesn't work for you and you don't have faith he'll grow in it then I guess you gotta just walk away. Its awesome Oliver is there as an alternative and Samantha Bee is starting soon, isn't she?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Jon Stewart is middle aged, hardened, cynical, and more than a little tired and angry about the whole thing.

Trevor Noah is young, excited, experiencing new highs in his career, and really seeing all the absurdity of the US system for the first time as a novelty.

Expecting them to have similar perspectives just seems silly.

People who grew cynical and snarky with Stewart just aren't going to get that from Noah. Not any time soon, at least. Noah can't fake it. That would be terrible and condescending. We're still getting the same thing we always got from the Daily Show, a humorous take on the poo poo happening in politics. But we're seeing it from a different perspective. If that perspective isn't interesting or worthwhile to you, fair enough, but a lot of it just feels like basic "change" issues.

Personally, I enjoy Noah's wide eyed take and if I want snark and anger I can go other places for that. I miss Jon Stewart but life goes on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think of it like this.

Jon Stewart was my old friend who when I pissed at something I saw on the news I knew I could call up and he'd be pissed with me and we'd find comfort in our shared anger and a few laughs.

Then Jon moved on with his life and stopped being so angry. I miss him because I still get angry and I miss having that guy to call but I'm glad that he's moved past it.

Now I have this new friend Trevor and we have the same conversations. He's not as angry and sometimes I feel like I'm in a different place than him and I'm not getting what I got from Jon, but also Trevor's lack of anger is kind of refreshing and helps to calm me down sometimes and wonder if maybe I'm being over the top or if there's a healthier way to process this.

Jon moved on with his life and hopefully is less angry. Maybe Trevor can help me get there too. And if not John Oliver will call me on the weekend and we can bitch. Or there's always the angry mob on the internet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

old dog child posted:

I don't think Trevor isn't as cynical as Jon or anything like that...he grew up in South Africa! I doubt that anything that happens here is even remotely as bad as things he's seen back home. I think he just can't take our politics seriously because of how dumb it must look to an outsider. How do you get enraged about the relatively good situation in America when your home country can barely keep its power on? I enjoy his perspective because it's fresh and different. He's pretty good at hitting jokes even though his interview skills need work, but I think he will only improve with time. Certainly better than when Jon started (maybe it's me but I feel like sometimes he was carried by his insanely strong correspondents). And that's part of the fun..we get to watch him grow!

I think its reasonable to say Trevor may possess cynicism but not towards the stuff he's talking about. For him its all new and weird and (as you said) comparatively better. It takes time to get sick of this poo poo the way Stewart was, and Noah may never get there because of his different experience and basis for comparison. He's laughing and Jon was often crying.

And yeah, I appreciate that perspective. Its like when my conservative relatives claim Christians are being persecuted in America because of gay marriage in the same breath that they say Christians are being murdered by ISIS. Get some drat perspective. Those two things aren't equal.

Noah provides some of that perspective for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Jeb segment from Full Frontal is probably the best thing I've seen from Noah, Oliver, Wilmore, and maybe even Stewart and Colbert in awhile.

Personally I don't care which is better. I'm just psyched that I have so many options for this stuff.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness I think he was saying that the people actually pushing and shoving and tearing up signs were giving Trump what he wants, not protestors in general. It's a simplistic view that doesn't address a lot of the bigger issues but i don't think it was anti-protest.

And I actually found the KimK segment funny, but I actually come from that exact place where people say to me "they're everywhere" and I respond with "no, they're on like half a dozen gossip media outlets that I don't give a crap about so I almost never see them." So that smarmy nerd probably spoke to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Graham interview was hilarious, especially the part where he tried a burn on Obama and it went over like a lead balloon. In the end you have to give credit to Lindsay for having a sense of humor about himself and being able to laugh something like that off without getting offended or snarky at the crowd like so many politicians would have or do. I mean, just the fact that Graham was willing to come on after all the years of Stewart giving him poo poo is a credit to the guy being fairly human.

I like that Noah's Daily Show tries to do something weird when they land one of these big guys. With Rand Paul they did that drinking game and now the pool thing with Lindsay. Trevor doesn't have the gravitas or chops to ask some kind of grilling questions so they're doing these little games so its at least memorable and interesting. And to their credit both Paul and Graham were game for it.

On the Kardashian thing I never meant to say that she/they weren't saturating pop culture. I'm not blind, I know who they are and how would I since I've never seen the show? Yet I know there's a Kylie and a Kendal and whoever else. My thing is, who cares? Sure, I encounter headlines and stuff when I'm on the internet but I don't have to click them. Its like going grocery shopping and being stuck on line with the tabloids. Sure, I'm standing there so I'm going to glance over the headlines but I don't pick up the magazine because I don't care. I'll absorb a certain amount of information just through that kind of cultural osmosis but in order for me to actually know anything about Kim Kardashian I'd have to actually make the choice to invest some energy in following a few clicks and reading a few things. And I just don't (usually, I have my days where something piques my curiosity that normally doesn't).

I guess that's what I took from the Daily Show segment. Yeah, I agree that Kim Kardashian got famous for doing nothing and that's kind of stupid and an ugly part of our pop culture. And I agree that the whole gossip/celebutant/paparazzi/reality show thing is pervasive and lovely. But its really not hard at all for me to avoid 99% of it. I'll catch bits and pieces on CNN and internet headlines and passing conversation but the only times I actually have to think about it is when (a) I actually get my curiosity piqued and choose to dive in or (b) someone brings it up to me, usually to complain about it. And when that happens I kind of just want to say "then lets just talk about anything else" because I really don't get why we care.

I have no ACTUAL opinion about Kim Kardashian. I know she's hot and I guess its pretty cool that she's considered so even though she doesn't fit that runway model look. I know she got rich because her dad was a high powered Hollywood attorney and she got famous because of a sex tape with Brandy's brother and doesn't seem to have actually done anything worthy of praise (at least by my standards). I know she's married to Kanye and they're kind of insane. I know one time she bought a dress that might have been white or might have been blue. Beyond that I just really don't care.

I guess I just don't get why we can't all not care. And odds are that would start to gradually make her go away because the whole gossip world would move onto whatever new person was doing something crazy or scandalous. After all, I don't know what the gently caress Lindsay Lohan's doing these days.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 24, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Noah's starting to look more comfortable. I think a lot of the production changes like him standing away from the desk or them mixing up the "News-Correspondent-Interview" formula a little bit have started to make it feel more like Noah's shows and less like Stewart's. And he seems to have been at it long enough that his whole "I'm new to this country and this is strange" schtick is giving way a bit to "wait, this poo poo doesn't make sense!" a little. He's still not all the way there but I think he's growing into the role.

I don't know about Wilmore. I can't get through an episode. Sadly I just think that show doesn't work. And with Bee hitting the ground rounding and (IMO) Noah improving faster it really makes Wilmore/TNS look bad in comparison for having been twice as long and still having a lot of the same problems.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As it was during much of its run I think if you watch four episodes in a week the odds are you'll probably get an average of one really funny episode, 2 solid episodes, and 1 not so funny episode.

But of course if you haven't watched in 2 years it comes down to how much you like or hate what is almost entirely a new cast.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Desi Lydic stealing 20bux is a good gag.

Yeah, that was a great gag in subverting expectations. You were waiting for the typical Daily Show mocking questions or something and then its just "wait... did she pocket that $20?"

I'm glad she's back. Along with Roy White I think she was one of the more positive changes post-Stewart.

GutBomb posted:

I've watched every episode since the beginning and the only times it was heavily race related was when the news of the day was heavily race related. It's been overwhelmingly election related for the entire run so far.

If there's any difference its that Noah's perspective is naturally different from Stewart's on race subjects. Like, this last episode did a segment on Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill. That's a subject Stewart might have covered too but Noah comes at it from the perspective of a black person and adds some stuff from his South African background. Like, this works in the same way that when Stewart did a story that involved New York or maybe Jewish people he had a different perspective on it and handled it differently than Noah does now. Noah's unlikely to break out into a mock yiddish stereotype or freak out over pizza.

So, I don't know. If you're sensitive to race stuff than I guess Noah might seem more "race related" simply because you're seeing things through the eyes of a mixed race South African man instead of a Jewish NYer's. But I don't think the content focus has changed at all.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 22, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sorry. Been watching a lot of baseball.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trump Rap was amazing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ultimately as much as it sounds like a broken record I once again chalk it up to the new show's growing pains. They're trying to find their own identity and format. They're obviously never going to discard the politics because its what the show is known for but they obviously push more music, stand up, and just general variety show stuff. It would probably be more tolerable to some if it just stayed in the third segment and keep that one to interviews/music/standup that a lot of TDS viewers just don't care about. But its a learning process for the show. We're still in Season 1.

But also, there's always been non-political humor on TDS. Lydic's mom segment wasn't really any less topical than a lot of other segments including the March Madness of Hate things they were doing. Or that Kim Kardashian segment a couple of months ago. They at least tried to tie it to recent news stories even if its stuff that properly flew under the radar to most of TDS's audience of "non-new moms." But there's always been this kind of showcase comedy segments for their roster of comics so I just see the Wolf stand up or Heavy music performances are more of the same kind of thing.

Wolf's just not that funny.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 11, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Actually I admit that I just misread coyo7e's post and got crossed up between the Wolf and Lydic segments. Sorry. Its an off day.

I agree that the Wolf standup was weird but I also stand by the idea that its growing pains and a random standup act feels similar in theory to a musical performance. But it would play better if it replaced an interview instead of one of the correspondent segments.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think people are being oversensitive. Delusional Bernie supporters who won't admit this race is over or accuse Hillary of stealing the election or act petulantly is a thing that exists and its ripe to be mocked by the people who mock politics. It doesn't make all Bernie fans bad guys, and that segment was even presented as Roy White being the reasonable Bernie Supporter who thinks death threats are bad and it makes sense to support Hillary against Trump if it comes down to that.

As said, they mock Hillary too. Bernie supporters just don't mind that because its cathartic. And its totally reasonable that if you're intensely passionate about something that you're going to be bothered when TDS mocks aspects of it. But that's what they do and there's always someone in that position.

I mean, with Nevada there's another story about the stupidly of the primary caucus rules and bizarre rules that can be abused or confuse people. But these shows have covered that stuff in the early caucuses and "death threats" is a new story that stands out.

That segment was ok but it wasn't hilarious, mostly because the joke's been done plenty already. TDS was a little late to the "crazy Bernie supporter" gag. And I'm on the fence about the new lady. Can't tell if I like her or not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know, I feel like you can't really be "punching down" on a guy who basically made the 3rd best campaign to be the most powerful person in the world. By that logic making fun of Ted Cruz is punching down too, but we don't mind that because we all hate that fucker.

But with all due respect, I doubt we're going to find mutual ground just based on the fact that you seemed to be arguing with a lot of people other than me in that post.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Toxxupation posted:

It betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of the political system that you honestly think being third best in a race in a two-party system means jack or poo poo.

Bernie Sanders made a surprisingly strong showing in a primary that was never in his favor and fought nose to nose with Hillary for a good part of it. Even today he has a mathematical/technically correct argument that he could still win which is something none of us would have ever imagined 12 months ago. It just seems like a really high bar for the "punching down" idea.

But seriously, you seem super angry and it doesn't seem to be at me so I'm just bowing out because I have no desire to be the stand-in for "the most insufferable people of all time" to you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really don't think you're arguing with me, Toxxuption. All I said was that if you run for President of the United States than you're fair game to be mocked by the people who do nothing but mock politics. That holds true as much for Bernie as it does Hillary, Trump, Cruz, or Lindsay Graham. TDS wasn't mocking transgendered people or the poor. I don't think "punching down" really applies in this case.

But obviously you disagree.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 21, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've enjoyed that the Daily Show has seemed to do more themed episodes the last few weeks. Its more focused and engaging than trying to run off jokes on 5 subjects over the first two bits. And I liked the Desi/Jordan opening. It just feels more like Noah's TDS is breaking out of the Stewart model and finding itself well now.

And Noah seems like he's getting more comfortable with and as a result bothered by US politics. Which is good since that seemed to be a lot of what people didn't like and thought he was missing, especially compared to Bee who is like 90% anger and frustration.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's when it started. Then there was stuff like him playing pool with Lindsay Graham or "drinking" with Rand Paul. And a few times they mixed up the order of the segments and did a correspondent piece first and a news piece second. But over the last month or so of shows it really feels to me like they've moved past "trying different things" and settled into their own show feel. They're willing tp spend a whole episode on one topic or Noah will stand or sit or there will be no correspondent piece or the Desi/Jordan thing.

It just feels to me like they've finally gotten comfortable doing whatever they feel right about instead of trying to fit the 17 year mold. Which is what Noah really needed and why (IMO) Bee and Oliver got off and running quicker since they were doing their own thing from the start.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I like Noah but seeing Stewart do that last night just made me miss him so much. Life goes on.

I skipped a couple of weeks. That's not really a knock against the show. I did that with Stewart's show too everyone and awhile. I get busy or behind or burned out on news and just zone out until something sucks me back in, which the RNC did. Did Jessica Williams get a goodbye episode because I definitely need to watch that. Anything else noteworthy?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It shows the incredible superficiality of Trump's campaign. He gets them scared, he gives them a scapegoat, he says he'll deal with the scapegoat. They don't think beyond that. Its demagoguery defined. Engage them calmly and rationally and they reveal they really haven't put that much thought to it, they're just acting on emotion. A lot of it the very emotion Trump is driving up but much of it also just general fear, anger, and anxiety.

Its dangerous and scary and its why for the first time in my life I'm pressing every person in my life to please vote and take it seriously and beyond party lines.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly, most of the time I don't even feel like Wolf is filling the correspondent role. Most of her segments come off like forced stand up to me. There's an element of that in a lot of correspondent bits but Wolf just really feels like I got dragged to an open mic night.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been really avoiding stuff since the election and the hype around this interview has threatened to suck me back in, but it sounds like its just a terrible Trump person being terrible and being unable to even pretend to see reason. So I don't think I'm ready yet.

Maybe in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See, I'm still angry because all I can do is hear "he touched people"/"He did touch people."/"Well Bill was busy." and scream SO DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT OR NOT YOU HYPOCRITICAL MONSTER!

Christmas cartoons it is.

• Locked thread