Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This is the thread where we talk about The Daily Show and Nightly Show obviously.

Trevor Noah

Young, handsome, South African, and hated by bloggers for some reason. He inherited Jon Stewart's well oiled machine and is doing a fine job keeping it together as we enter a presidential year. He seems to have already ironed out a lot of the rougher edges he brought over by the time he wrapped up 2015, but more importantly he hasn't changed what worked with The Daily Show. More than less, it's still the same show. Despite having to cover yet another shooting right after starting his tenure, he hasn't yet been beaten down by all the bad news and bullshit like Jon was when he handed over the keys.

The Daily Show News Team:
Jessica Williams
Hassan Minhaj
Jordan Klepper
Roy Wood Jr.
Desi Lydic
Ronnie Chieng
Al Madrigal
John Hodgman
Kristen Schaal
Lewis Black
(Aasif Mandvi hasn't formally left the show but has noticeably been absent for a while, except for Jon's last show.)

Larry Wilmore

Some fans of his time as Senior Black Correspondent on TDS were probably a bit underwhelmed by Colbert's Comedy Central successor. Sometimes his delivery lacks a certain energy that made his fellow TDS alumni more engaging in their own programs. He does get pretty fired up about police violence, racism, and Bill Cosby, so we'll sometimes get some really good stuff. For better or for worse, he seems to enjoy moderating panels in a manner where he gets to hang out with his comedian buddies. I've been more generous to him than most people in last year's thread, but I don't expect him to shake up the format of the show more than he already did. Most of the thread will be about TDS, but we're keeping Nightly here too because it makes more sense than talking about the show in the main late night thread.

Larry's also hosting the White House Correspondents Dinner this year.

The Nightly Show Contributors:
Mike Yard
Ricky Velez
Grace Parra
Rory Albanese
Robin Thede
Holly Walker
Jordan Carlos
Franchesca Ramsey

If you want to talk about Colbert, go to the main late night thread. John Oliver's show also has its own thread.

2015 thread

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Justin_Brett posted:

I can't believe Larry is making hating M. Night Shymalyn a thing in 2016.

Good.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think the mindset they had with this Rodman bit was "Jordan Carlos can do impressions. Let's just have him do one." And then they forgot to write jokes for it.

Larry, like Stephen and John Oliver before him, took some of Stewart's staff with him. As much as I want to keep rooting for Larry, I think Nightly's problems start with him. He's comfortable with Nightly being TDS-lite. Less teeth. More casual presentation. Less obsessed with perfection.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Larry to his credit pretty much called anti-vaxxers idiots in that episode. Too bad that point got washed away in the panel.

Nightly doubled down on Jordan Carlos' Rodman impression last night. Ugh.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"Does the lottery exploit the poor?"

"Telling the poor that if they work hard they'll be rich exploits the poor."

Not an exact quote but that was a good line from Rory from the panel. Also they should keep Ricky Valez off the panels.

Also that Daily Show interview... Ugh. It's people like this that keeps me from candidly talking about politics because so many people are more concerned about keeping score than having a good faith discussion.

Also Al Madrigal still exists. That bit. :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

AndyElusive posted:

I know most goons here don't or won't watch TNS but their bit on the Oscar snubs panned out to be more or less on point which I found amusing.
It wasn't laugh out loud funny, but I appreciate it because I'll welcome any bashing of racist Hollywood. It's one of those subjects that I think Nightly should indulge on because it's the kind of subject that a more subversive, edgy, niche late night show (which is what I feel Nightly should be) should go after. Of course, most of Nightly is, for lack of a better metaphor, weak tea.

I doubt Will Smith really gave a memorable performance in Concussion but the observation that only white people can win Oscars for movies nobody's seen is a sharp one. I like Eddie Redmayne but he's getting nominated yet again for a super Oscar-baity movie. I didn't even know there was another positively-received trans movie that came out in 2015. Yep, the Oscars will once again be pretty white.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 14, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
You take that back; Jessica Williams is amazing. :colbert:

I kind of feel like What The Fact is a worthless recurring bit. If a politician makes a provocative claim in a speech, debate, or ad; calling out their bullshit should be in the main political segment.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That children's book is lovely and racist not just for how it portrays slavery as a whole, but because we know specifically about house slaves who hated their treatment from the Washingtons that they escaped.

(I feel guilty when I have more to say about last night's Nightly than Daily.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I find Colbert's show great. :shobon:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Supposedly there's another thinkpiece going around asking why people don't like Trevor Noah.

I read someone else commenting on it, but didn't click on it myself. I think it also argues that The Nightly Show is better, which is a rather.... unpopular opinion to say the least.

Edit: I think a real reason bloggers hate Trevor Noah is because they hate the idea that The Daily Show host is younger than most of them.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 26, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Alright, I decided to skim the piece after all. It's not the hit piece or concern troll piece I imagined it being. But I can't help thinking it's willfully riding on the blog hivemind's strange dislike for Trevor.

I'm enjoying The Daily Show, and many of the broader editorial focus shifts are understandable. (Less media bashing, less of Stewart's "i'm tired of being tired of everything" tone) And I guess Trevor is still trying to figure out how to fill the hole left in those changes. I think Trevor really needs to gain more wisdom and perspective for a voice to shine through and that would still take a few years. I'm not going to make excuses like "he's new and Stewart wasn't that amazing at the start too" because Trevor inherited a stronger program and experienced crew and what matters is if I'm being entertained now. Fortunately, I am.

I'll avoid the super simplistic (and wrong) explanation that the 2016 election's been too big a joke it can't be additionally mocked. I do think it's hard to digest with the willful troll campaigns of Trump and Cruz not on the terms they're willing to be engaged with. Trump and Cruz don't mind at all being mocked by comedy and welcome continuing relevance as long as it doesn't hurt their support from the base.

I don't know what a better forest view "so what?" take on the election or America in 2016 would be. It obviously involves Trevor having a strong viewpoint, and I think he's still working that out.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I found that Chieng bit funny. I'm not sure if Ronnie intended to keep doing Daddy issue jokes after the first two times, but I thought it going for it way too tempting to not tie it with the adult gay adoption angle.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Gyges posted:

Trump is not something to worry about. He is a farce and the fact that he is leading the Republican field is indeed the height of comedy. If by some miracle he actually wins he will be crushed in the general, because outside of 30% of the Republican base he is never going to be taken seriously as an option.
Trump has a shot if the old guard of the GOP stays in disarray after the early states. If he somehow gets nominated, he can quickly play a softer, more inoffensive message for the general. People have goldfish memory and many might not sympathize with Muslims and Mexicans that much. He's excellent at stagecraft so I can imagine a Trump GOP convention being a real spectacle. He can still strongly dictate what the next news cycle will be talking about. He might not have a great chance in a general, but he's worth taking seriously as a threat.

That being said, I think people need to talk a lot more about the old guard GOP and all the harm they did. And that it's fruitless to ask Rubio or Jeb or Kasich or Christie to SAVE US from a Trump or Cruz nomination because they're all terrible.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I do think it's a matter of political cynicism. Bernie thinks a class-focused campaign is a winning strategy. Addressing white supremacy with the R word isn't.

But yeah that narrative of him being tone deaf on social issues has been overplayed by mile by the institutional center left in the media, which seems to want to address race and gender issues for social currency with only lip service towards the economic angle. People pointed out that the same thing happened to Jeremy Corbyn in the UK.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
NDT's mic drop. That was amusing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Steve Vader posted:

Colbert recycled the classic "Governor Bush vs President Bush" debate bit for pitting Trump vs Trump. Worked well.
Trump knows he has even less need than Dubya to be consistent. Trump's campaign has fueled entirely by feeding the beasts. (The base and the news cycle.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Golden Girls was actually a decent show for its time, right?

It's not one of those lovely shows that people keep looking back on fondly like Full House or Saved by the Bell?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Berniebros meme is more effective at attacking Befnie from the left than calling out his lukewarm gun control effort. Otherwise, they got nothing that hasn't been used eight years ago against Obama.

I remembered that during the Month of Zen marathon how people in D&D forgot just how vicious Clintons were willing to get to stop Obama. They even played the whole "my opponent would make a great VP" card but when a Bernie staffer said the same thing a few months ago...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Just tell me the one GOP candidate you'd vote over Hillary isn't Kasich.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was just hoping more people don't buy into the "Kasich is the lesser evil of the GOP race" meme precisely for the reasons mentioned above.

Also, Franchesca Ramsey is a nice addition to the Nightly team.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The idea that campaigns are about media expectation management has had tangible harmful consequences. It's a product of the horse race.

Palin "exceeded" her expectations in the veep debate back in '08. She effectively won the debate by memorizing a bunch of lines and not answering any questions.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oliver's new season hasn't started yet.

I know I'm being quite unfair, but I have a kneejerk dislike for Seth Meyers, not unlike what I have for many SNL alum of his generation, that stops me from giving his show a shot. I consider him and Fallon's main qualifications for being NBC's late night hosts as "white, male, knew Lorne Michaels".

I think the angle that's missing from all the shows is how Donald and Ted benefit from an angry base of nationalistic supporters who really have been screwed over by economic policies of the past three decades yet still want to drink the kool-aid on how great America was at some arbitrary, imagined time. And it's easy for them to scapegoat the superficial gains made by women, blacks, gays, and immigrants when they too have been hosed over worse and for much longer. I don't think there's an easy way to make biting comedy or satire from it.

I wish there was an amusing, funny viral video explaining how the Democratic party since the rise of Reaganomics was remarkably different from the New Deal era; but it's a complicated subject.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Charles Martel posted:

+1

Also, there's no such thing as making fun of Fox News too much.
What if Trump is doing it

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Sam Bee's show premieres tonight. Figured it's worth quickly mentioning here even though it should be discussed in the late night thread.

Also, I kind of understand the appeal of how Internet personalities are your fake friends, being a Red Letter Media fan and someone who used to like Penny Arcade back in the day. But I kind of can't latch on to the new generation of YouTube stars (AKA people younger and more successful than me) that appeals to people whose ADD is bigger than mine. But it's another "says more about me" thing.

Maybe it's also because the new generation doesn't even hide how aggressively they promote their personal brands, which I think kind of disrupts the whole "fake friend" atmosphere.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
For those who missed how D&D > YCS responded to the amazing debate opening as it happened live:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763279&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

It lasts a few pages.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That New Hampshire couple is adorable.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Ten Years Ago:

Take a guess
part 2

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I personally was interested in seeing both shows' take on both debates we had this weekend.

The Henry Kissinger debate was interesting to say the least.

And I just want to see more shows play the clip of Trump going after Jeb's family while Jeb himself couldn't stop him despite the support of the GOP-friendly audience.

They'll both be old news after a week.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still find it weird that many people have a "Pre-Sanity/Post-Sanity" view of Stewart as if those were two different guys.

Not to argue about old things, but I think Stewart's message was based around his misdiagnosis of the political environment when the Tea Party was still in its infancy. He thought the anger was manufactured and exacerbated by the media's obsession with conflict and tribalism, and politics being a spectator sport between Team Red and Blue. I felt like that misreading was nonetheless consistent with the Jon who called out Tucker Carlson and Jim Cramer.

I think many people on the left were projecting their "truth in the middle/false equivalence/South Park" anxiety on that.

Granted, knowing what I know now, it's a message based on a naive view of state of the national political discourse. People were and still are angry for good reason. And people usually can't effect needed change by simply engaging each other and working out a solution considering how much bad faith posturing is part of the discourse.

There's not much to defend about whitewashing Scalia, but there's no way Colbert would have danced on his grave even during the Report days. Heck, Colbert literally danced with Kissinger. Actually... that wasn't cool.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 17, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There's already plenty of people, especially goons, who are a bit weary of Cory Booker.

Don't get me wrong; he's easy to like if you want to like him, but I've been put off by his Wall Street ties, his love for the media circuit, and his coddling with Chris Christie. (And he also stopped my man Rush Holt from becoming a senator.)

It's frustrating because his personal narrative, including dashing into a burning building, is very compelling. But unless if he retools his politics, he's further to the right than Obama and Hillary.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Specific issues?

The two the pop into my head first (besides his Wall Street ties), is his embrace of education "reform" and his opposition to Obama's Iran deal a few months back. Those aren't the most objectionable things if I pull back, but those things are what sticks out first to me considering how well he's able to state his progressive positions on social issues.

Granted maybe I'm being too harsh in fully embracing neoliberal bashing. I might not be checking my contrarian mentality enough.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
For those who still care, last night's Nightly directly dealt with criticism over that Bill Nye panel.

Basically, Bill Nye appeared and told people to chill out. This wasn't the first time Nye appeared on the show since the panel; I don't think they needed to address the backlash.

Fake edit: Okay, this Martian parody plays out as expected but I find it funny.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Looks like there's a Jon Stewart hit piece going around blaming The Daily Show for the rise of Donald Trump. Because that's the reason Trump's doing so well. I'm won't bother linking to it, because you can probably guess how it plays out.

Oh bloggers. Never change. :allears:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jordan Carlos did try to point out that things were objectively worse than they were when the guest panelist entered the job market. But it didn't make the panel less agonizing.

They should just anticipate when the guest comedian is going to take a bootstraps or PC Police angle and have Franchesca Ramsey on the panel to call them out.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That plantation bit was good by TNS standards at least. It could have worked as a TDS skit.

Christ, that whole idea of slaves having a view of free soil. :smithicide:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't think Larry was supporting the idea of North Korea keeping the frat boy locked up. He's just acknowledging his sympathy ceiling. It wasn't particularly funny, but the culture of privilege where risking (and actually creating) an international incident seems like acceptable hazing is kind of hosed up.

I hope it's a recurring theme on TDS where they go for the "This specific state is screwed up" angle and then reveal it's actually happening everywhere.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Trevor's bit would have been a little more comprehensive if he explicitly talked about how Nixon and Reagan brought the Dixiecrats into the GOP. And how Democrats like the former Klan member Robert Byrd had to make a full 180 degree turn on civil rights to stay in the Democratic Party.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I feel kinda guilty for saying this but I like Black React. Maybe it's just knowing that Larry enjoys performing magic tricks and seeing the TNS cast all hamming it up at the same time.

And we haven't seen Larry's show from the 70s in a while. Good.

Did I just jinx it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
For those who want see some Chris Matthews bashing, Larry Wilmore flat out called him an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread