Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im really happy they're changing TDS up a bit from Jon.

I don't mind the changes although the intro bit feels like it cuts into show time - previously the show would start at around 15 seconds, now its more like 40 seconds (I fast forward the intros so its more work for me now!).

What I don't like is the guest lineups though. I'd find about 70% of Jon's guests interesting just from the DVR blurb and want to watch the next day. Its closer to... honestly 0% with Noah. I've maybe watched 3 of the last 20 episodes, just that quick second decision of "who the gently caress is this guest? I dunno, too busy gonna delete this episode" kicks in.

I just assume the lineups are aimed at younger people, but then I saw last nights was Colin Quinn and all I can think is "wait... the dude from remote control? what the gently caress... delete"

and yeah no Nightly Show in 2 months, don't miss it at all. I don't really watch any late night show at all anymore, maybe just clips from Fallon/Colbert/Conan when it gets sent around via email. Huge change for me from last few years when I would pretty much watch Stewart/Colbert every day :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

raditts posted:

I guess I am officially old because I don't understand YouTube superstars or why they are popular.

Just watched the Lilly Singh interview, she's kind of annoying to me but she definitely feels very energetic and probably woulda been a better host than Trevor.

I'm in my late 40s too so not part of the youtube/twitch generation, but lately I have been watching twitch streams of call of duty WHILE I am playing call of duty. I'll tell you exactly why the new youtube/twitch base is so popular with younger people. It feels like they are your friends, AND that everyone else in the audience is part of your friends circle too. The streamers give shout outs to the viewers constantly, talk about whats going on in their lives and take an interest in their viewers lives, commiserate about shared problems (jobs, money, food, dating, etc) and are down to earth and honest in a way you don't see on TV. Its like the old public access TV shows if they had immediate real time feedback with viewers and digital sets that let them do anything.

Another experience I would compare it to is early MMOs for us older people. Back when you'd log into Everquest or World of Warcraft and have a guild where you would shoot the poo poo in chat or teamspeak/ventrilo and you'd feel connected to a bunch of virtual friends. Youtube and twitch are now the same but you don't even have to play any game, just sit and socialize with people that are like you.

Its kind of cool in many ways but also sad in many ways since I think it probably attracts a lot of people who don't have any friends in real life, not sure if its healthy or not. I know when I started withdrawing from reality due to MMOs that was a pretty bad time in my life, I probably would have dove into twitch back then even harder and with all the subscribe and donate options it seems the money sink could be very dangerous to vulnerable people.

Still for those (the vast majority) who are able to keep online circles and reality seperate its probably more entertaining than most movies and TV shows.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Yeah, Sam Bee's new show is fantastic, its just too bad its only one day a week.

• Locked thread