Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Madkal posted:

The PSA is pretty much telling kids not to call the cops if they see a stranger walking around with a gun. I find that amusing.

But there's nothing wrong or out of the ordinary with strangers walking around brandishing firearms! :clint:

This message brought to you by Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Those oregon dipshits being nothing but the butt of late night jokes is pretty great. I say just turn off the water and power and let everyone laugh at the clowns.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Murdered children is sad and all, but what about the terrorists???

If he'd cried about the terror attacks they'd be all like "Look how weak Obama is what a terrible leader showing how weak America is that loving pussy weak surrender monkey."

Obama can't win no matter what he does.

Also:

raditts posted:

I like Trevor and the correspondents and I think the show has been great.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Steve Vader posted:

When exactly did news become a for-profit enterprise? How was that legal?

Since the printing press? I mean, I don't know who paid town criers or bards or whatever the hell else news was back then but once you could sell news as a commodity people were doing so.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gyges posted:

It's a combination of things that got to this point. First, the networks themselves don't make shitloads of money anymore, which is what was used to fund the News divisions which operated at a loss. Second, the FCC has drastically relaxed it's Public Service requirements for broadcasters, which was previously being filled by the broadcast news. Third, cable was never under the jurisdiction of the FCC and always operated with the expectation of profit. Fourth, the abundance of entertainment options has diluted viewership to the point where turning a profit requires far more work than just informing the people and as a result lovely, opinion reinforcing, infotainment is the name of the game.

So now you're left with PBS, which is losing ever more government funding and turning to private sponsorship, and CSPAN, which is boring as poo poo unless you loving love watching the Well of the Senate, poorly set up book talks, and listening to call in shows where crazy people rant at dispassionate hosts who possess inhuman patience.

State funded public news still exists and can be good. See: BBC, NPR, Al Jazeera.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

AndyElusive posted:

Unfunny, ok. Spreading ignorance? Are you loving kidding me?

You didn't see the vaccine episode did you?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im really happy they're changing TDS up a bit from Jon.

I really don't like Trevor's new stand in front of a screen thing for the first segment. I also don't like the new song.

CHANGE FRIGHTENS AND CONFUSES ME

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Well, this is the first episode I've seen where they've talked about him in anything but a mocking fashion, so I guess they're playing catch up now.

It was really grating to have him only mentioned as "who is this guy?" the last 3 months.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mendicant posted:

Colbert's new show is not very good. Its like the TV version of luke warm water.

It's not as good as the Report but it's not bad at all, aside from the dumbass band.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

The first 15 or so minutes are enough to sate the still-lingering heartache from the Report ending. The interviews are mostly boring, but then they were never that great on TCR either so I can still turn my TV off around midnight.

There's often a second comedy segment after the first interview but I wouldn't necessarily say it's worth fast forwarding to it always.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't see the problem, the best thing Trevor could do in the first few months of his tenure is ensure that only establishment left wing or apolitical guests will appear on his political satire show by being hostile to anyone he disagrees with.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SyRauk posted:

Should I bother watching the rest of that Rand "debate" online? Does he say anything new that we haven't heard him say over and over again? Also, why does he constantly tell hosts that he does not want to talk about pot? I didn't know you can shy away from serious debate subjects if you're running for President.

It's not that he doesn't want to debate it, he knows that many of his supporters are idiots that only care that he's pro-legalization and don't know anything about his batshit crazy beleifs beyond that and gosh darn it he's a serious candidate, no really, he is! His mom even said so!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Thank god you showed up in a thread for a TV show you don't watch to inform us you do not watch said show

how would we have gotten by without this vital information

Trevor mentions Africa though Raddits, AFRICA. The nerve!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The "daddy issues" schtick is no good, but I won't write him off about that. It's actually good that they brought to light the issue of a lot of gay couples opting for adult adoption when they thought marriage equality was never going to happen. It was very much a thing and the issue now, though they didn't bother to expound upon it, is that the courts really have no idea what the hell to do with annulling adult adoptions for this purpose. It just hasn't happened so it keeps getting escalated to higher courts because there's no precedent even though the logical answer is obvious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pillow Hat posted:

This is a purely theoretical argument, but I seriously doubt that Cruz would do better within the GOP (or overall for that matter) than Trump. The guy is pretty much universally hated by politicians.

Politicians are almost universally hated by voters. That's why Cruz and Trump are doing so well (not really that well). 40% of engaged republican primary voters is not very many people.

However, while I agree that neither will likely win because they're so hateful and unelectable, people are deluding themselves if they think whoever winds up being the republican nominee will get less than about 48% in the general election polls. And as we all know, you don't need to get the most votes to win under certain circumstances.

The real worry is that we wind up with a contested convention and Rubio gets it. But the so-called establishment sold themselves up the river so hard over the last 8 years frothing up the teabaggers and birthers and other assorted nutballs that I don't think they can really be called establishment anymore anyway. The inmates are running that asylum.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pillow Hat posted:

I just mean since Fiorina in particular gave such an impassioned speech about it. Regardless of your opinion on the matter, she bought into it hook, line, and sinker (at least publicly) and it turns out it was completely fabricated. It's like it was her first time on the internet as a naive child and she believed everything she saw even though it was posted to /b/ by a user named AbortionIsDelicious420Guy.

Everyone already knew it was fabricated, this won't change anything.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

haveblue posted:

This thread doesn't seem to like admitting it watches the Nightly Show. Still, that was pretty great.

Or most of us really don't watch it.

I'm not sure even NDT can save Larry's shitshow but I'mm record the reair.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That was pretty great but everything featuring Larry was about as funny as contracting full blown AIDS and having to buy that drug from that rear end in a top hat wall street guy for $1000.

Can they just give TNS to NDT? There would be no shortage of material for at least the next 10 months.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Neil has StarTalk, which manages to be drier and more boring than TNS.

Yeah and Cosmos, which is remedial science for 8 year olds (which is a good thing to have don't get me wrong). He needs a show where he can burn idiots with science. But yeah Startalk is ambien.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

M_Gargantua posted:

This article made me angry in a good way. Did not know how hosed up Chicago was back then for example.

I don't understand how Bernie doesn't have the minority vote though. He's got the vote of everybody I know my age, he's got the vote of all my texas raised veteran friends, he's got the vote for a huge majority of our local college population.

I feel like the polls are just horridly skewed as they've always been. Selective polling to enforce the narrative these people want. Where else is the minority vote going to go? Not to trump, not to Hillary, surely.

Bernie had a name recognition problem when you're talking about Hillary Clinton who was a high profile person 20 years ago and never really went away. Bernie has been pretty consistently marginalized so unless you were already buying what he was selling you didn't know who he was. In the last couple weeks I've had minority coworkers say hey that Bernie guy has the right idea*, so maybe the more exposure he gets the better he does? It's not like very many people are enthusiastic about Hillary.

* No I am not one of those annoying sanders evangelicals.

e: autocomplete badness

IRQ fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 30, 2016

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gyges posted:

Why can't people just admit that Hillary actually is an American liberal? She's not the model liberal, but the idea that she's just a DINO looking to satiate her power fetish is ridiculous. There's shitloads more to actually attack her on than stupid Shillary the stealth Republican weaksauce.

Well ok then 2 things. If Hillary is what passes for a liberal (liberal and democrat are not the same thing) in this country we have some huge loving problems we have some huge loving problems. And in what ways is she not a say-anything power hungry corporate shill? Bill was too, for what it's worth.

Bernie is believable, which at least gives him a leg up even if I wasn't even further to the left than he is.

e: not saying she wouldn't be better than anything out of the clown car.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pillow Hat posted:

Ha ha ha ha ha what the gently caress! Peter Bergen's laugh is ridiculous!

I love how he busted out laughing after his own really bad and only half told joke and just kept going for like 30 seconds.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chromatic posted:

The Groundhog Day bomb and him repeating it because he was frustrated that he didn't get the reaction he wanted was cringeworthy.

Took me a hot second to figure out what was going on and I just knew a whole lot of people were going to be very confused by that gag.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh I guarantee Noah probably didn't know what the gag was either until it was explained to him. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in that you're super young or super foreign. Others should be nice and do the same. Let's not be dicks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I guess I am officially old because I don't understand YouTube superstars or why they are popular.

They're loud and cater to either minimal attention spans or absolute sperglords and, most importantly, crank out content at a really impressive pace.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

What's fake about it? He seems like he's genuinely enjoying himself to me.

The TDS thread is now a thread full of typical hyperbolic tviv hatewatching bullshit. Sad, but not unexpected.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

VagueRant posted:

Took me ages to find out where I could catch the Sam Bee thing and went in expecting it to not live up to all this praise, but ugh, it was EXACTLY what I've been missing from The Daily Show. All that venom is just so delicious to me!

I find Noah fine and Colbert's new format only mildly annoying, but yeah it was nice to have someone spit some venom again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zakharov posted:

I would like to dig up all the posts from the last 5 years of Stewart's run complaining that all he did was make fun of Fox.

Jon's getting so stale, goddamn another episode mocking CNN? He just has no teeth on the interviews anymore this is so sad to see. What a bad show now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Oliver said nothing about Scalia.

Colbert was fine, just told a personal story.

Yes but it was kind of like saying that tea party you had with Josef Mengele was very pleasant because he was quite the joker.

Scalia was a loving inhuman monster no matter how good a sense of humor he had and whitewashing that lost Colbert a lot of respect from me. Not that he cares, but gross.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

All that complaining about racism, GOSH!

That Guns 4 Kids bit was great, I hate those loving commercials.

I have no idea what commercials you're referring to which may be why I thought that bit was as funny as cancer. The second segment also ended kind of aimless and unfunny. I usually don't have much to complain about TDS but last night's was bad.

Needed more Africa references obviously.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

Sam is great in Full Frontal, but every other aspect of the production seems like a 90s public access show. It doesn't have the polish of something like The Daily Show or Last Week Tonight.

The budget for that set was probably as many stolen Home Depot gift cards as they could buy off the methhead in the alley behind the chinese takeout place next to the gas station for craft services leftovers from Conan.

As long as it's funny I can overlook the fact that mall santas in the 80s had better sets.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Pretty much anyone who gets a show on TLC comes to mind, most notably the Duggars. Moreso now since, y'know, one of them is a child molester.

Don't forget that rear end in a top hat dwarf that got DUIs so much his family joked about it on their lovely reality show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

On the Kardashian thing I never meant to say that she/they weren't saturating pop culture. I'm not blind, I know who they are and how would I since I've never seen the show? Yet I know there's a Kylie and a Kendal and whoever else. My thing is, who cares? Sure, I encounter headlines and stuff when I'm on the internet but I don't have to click them. Its like going grocery shopping and being stuck on line with the tabloids. Sure, I'm standing there so I'm going to glance over the headlines but I don't pick up the magazine because I don't care. I'll absorb a certain amount of information just through that kind of cultural osmosis but in order for me to actually know anything about Kim Kardashian I'd have to actually make the choice to invest some energy in following a few clicks and reading a few things. And I just don't (usually, I have my days where something piques my curiosity that normally doesn't).

I guess that's what I took from the Daily Show segment. Yeah, I agree that Kim Kardashian got famous for doing nothing and that's kind of stupid and an ugly part of our pop culture. And I agree that the whole gossip/celebutant/paparazzi/reality show thing is pervasive and lovely. But its really not hard at all for me to avoid 99% of it. I'll catch bits and pieces on CNN and internet headlines and passing conversation but the only times I actually have to think about it is when (a) I actually get my curiosity piqued and choose to dive in or (b) someone brings it up to me, usually to complain about it. And when that happens I kind of just want to say "then lets just talk about anything else" because I really don't get why we care.

I have no ACTUAL opinion about Kim Kardashian. I know she's hot and I guess its pretty cool that she's considered so even though she doesn't fit that runway model look. I know she got rich because her dad was a high powered Hollywood attorney and she got famous because of a sex tape with Brandy's brother and doesn't seem to have actually done anything worthy of praise (at least by my standards). I know she's married to Kanye and they're kind of insane. I know one time she bought a dress that might have been white or might have been blue. Beyond that I just really don't care.

I guess I just don't get why we can't all not care. And odds are that would start to gradually make her go away because the whole gossip world would move onto whatever new person was doing something crazy or scandalous. After all, I don't know what the gently caress Lindsay Lohan's doing these days.

I don't care, and the only time I hear about Kardashians is here in this thread, and on the OJ Simpson show where Ross from Friends is a Kardashian trying to suck OJ's dick. It's very, very easy to not hear about them, as I'm not even trying not to. Can we stop talking about it? Her rear end was on a magazine or something I guess, who the gently caress buys magazines? Stop furiously F5ing TMZ or whatever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

coyo7e posted:

People old enough to remember when Craig was the host?

They've extended the definition of "millennial" out into the early-mid 30s aged, so that covers people who remember Killborn and serves as yet another indicator that "millennial" is a loving meaningless term only used by the media and grumpy old codgers.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Isn't knife and fork pizza yet another of Trumps culinary war crimes? He only orders steak well done and has never had coffee or alcohol. He's literally unamerican.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's fine, but it's different.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

They're not going to make a movie version of it as long as Broadway tickets are selling out years in advance. So you might be able to in a decade or two I guess.

It baffles me that nobody really pirates wildly popular shows like this and book or mormon. I think I once found a really poo poo copy of Mormon but it was unwatchable.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Steve Vader posted:

Because the entire usher staff is instructed to be watching for shitheads doing that.

I work in theaters that play shows like this. Don't try and pull this poo poo. It's a pain in my rear end.

Do the needful and pull an inside job.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Well that explains everything.

Usually Vice is douchey in the other direction though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

coyo7e posted:

A lot of their earlier stuff was a lot less, uhh, informed? I seem to recall someone (Eddie Huang maybe?) doing an expose on prostitution and drugs in thailand by going to thailand and buying and taking a lot of drugs while paying for and having sex with hookers.

Well Eddie Huang is a huge piece of poo poo so that would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SyRauk posted:

I'm confused, so Viacom is not giving Clinton money? Gotcha.

Oh and then there's this: https://theintercept.com/2016/05/06/hillary-super-pac-draft-oped/

Now go ahead and tell me the media isn't trying to smear Sanders in anyway possible.

Oh come off it, the worst the media did was not give him any coverage early on.

I voted for Sanders and I absolutely refuse to vote for Hillary in the general, but there's no grand conspiracies going on.

• Locked thread