Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Especially after that story went around that Obama quietly met with all the families who lost a child at Sandy Hook to just listen to their stories and learn all about the children.

When exactly did news become a for-profit enterprise? How was that legal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I mean that it used to be considered something off-limits, like news divisions of media companies were not expected to be profit centers because the public trust was something important, and I thought even the gubmint made some write-off-style benefits for that, even. I suppose I'll just go do my own research about this.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

FYI - RUMSFELD was on Colbert tonight, and he actually said "If it was a fact, it wouldn't be called intelligence." In reference to the causes of the Iraq War.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The Daily Show segment about who would kill us faster Trump or Cruz was spot on.

The moment of Zen guy did bring a good point though, we need to Smite Fart.

Smite Fart Man was also the "Obama's A Pussy" Man.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Colbert recycled the classic "Governor Bush vs President Bush" debate bit for pitting Trump vs Trump. Worked well.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Echo Chamber posted:

Golden Girls was actually a decent show for its time, right?

It's not one of those lovely shows that people keep looking back on fondly like Full House or Saved by the Bell?

Yes, it was. Full House and Saved By The Bell were trash but kids who watched them didn't know any better and thus loved them.

Golden Girls is an 80s sitcom, sure, so you have to allow for that. but it still holds up pretty well. Bea Arthur could kill you with a look and didn't even need the zingers. I enjoy watching it.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I don't know. I miss Jon a lot, too, because he had the gravitas and he could really get pissed and help us work through the visceral anger at the stupid poo poo, but there's something about Noah's approach to just LAUGHING at stupid poo poo so stupid that it should be LAUGHABLE and not taken seriously by anybody that's valid.

I mean, there is so much bullshit out there that should never be taken seriously but constantly is by the 24-hour news cycle, and pointing and laughing at it's bullshittery rather than getting frustrated and exasperated by it can be effective, too.

I saw Colbert say something recently about what he enjoys about working the Late Show is that he's no longer under any obligation to carry a sword and shield to go after an interview subject he would formerly have been expected to mock. On one hand, I totally understand why that would be a huge goddamned relief for him, it also underscores why his show is fun but no longer required viewing, and it underscores what I really, really miss from him. Jon and Stephen were always this double-shot of 'oh, thank god somebody else is seeing all this.'

Maybe it's the evolution, though. You spend 9+ years getting pissed at poo poo with Jon and Stephen, and it's old hat enough now that maybe we can just start laughing it out of public favor with Noah - provided he has the time to grow into being as impactful as his predecessor. Assuming he can.

I don't know.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I hate the Venn Diagrams bit, much like I hate Pros and Cons on Fallon. I know it's a Hal Gurnee Network Time Killer, but it's just basically taking lame monologue jokes and presenting them in a slightly different format.

But you do a show every night, you have to have some regular bits to keep you going on the days you don't have the gumption to make a great show. Sucks for the people who tune in that night, but then again, late-night viewer brains aren't always firing on all cylinders either, what with sleep and all.

Has Oliver started up again? I usually see his poo poo go viral immediately, but I haven't yet.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

This guy has made a catchphrase out of insisting one of the Republican frontrunners wants to gently caress his own daughter. He's not "light and fluffy." His being in a good mood may make things feel that way, but it's not.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

They showed a clip of her show on Colbert last night. Looks like it's going to be pretty Daily Show-esque - new Daily Show, as in her standing up and tossing jokes out at news items. And with field pieces and such.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm sure some of those laughs are nervous laughs, too.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

So Sam Bee is 10:30 on TBS before Conan, right? So I guess I have to go to the official website to see any of it, being cable-less. I wish TBS had a Roku app where I could watch these shows.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Ah. I've got to get in the habit of watching entire shows on Youtube, when that site is a magnet for distraction and attention-span-deadening. Will do.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

"Sentient Caps Lock Button Donald Trump" - nicely done, Sam Bee.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

John Kasich on Colbert tonight. I really don't want to watch John Kasich on anything. Someone tell me if it's worth a drat.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

jojoinnit posted:

It takes ages for major movies to leak usually and a major show like Mormon or Hamilton is a hell of a lot harder to sneakily film.

Because the entire usher staff is instructed to be watching for shitheads doing that.

I work in theaters that play shows like this. Don't try and pull this poo poo. It's a pain in my rear end.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

bull3964 posted:

So, uh, Colbert went to visit John Stewart and brought back Colbert.

By, that, I mean, the Colbert Report. There was even a Word tonight.

Too bad it was only for one segment, felt like old times.

I hope this is a precedent - there's no reason CR Colbert can't be a recurring character on the new show when current events demand it.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Anthony Weiner's political opinion being sought for some reason. I remember when he was on The Daily Show before the scandals and he seemed like he was pretty cool, but he sounds like a really smug douche here so far.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Watching Daily Show on Hulu.

It's presented by Arby's.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I love Norm MacDonald stand-up. I love how he just bulldozes a joke's premise and things you take for granted. His special "Me Doing Stand-Up" has been on my DVR for years.

The comedians who used to love Cosby were not usually that way due to The Cosby Show, which was certainly a massively popular show at the time - I remember some point in the 90s, TV Guide described it as "the last show we all watched together," meaning both as families and as a country, before cable really hit its stride and splintered audiences. But the big Cosby fans were about his stand-up albums from back in the day - telling stories from when he was a kid who got beat and not the parent beating his kids - because they were so full of complete goofball embellishment, weird voices, and exuberant charm that they made him a highly entertaining storyteller. I listened to those albums constantly as a boy and they informed a great deal of what coalesced into my sense of humor as an adult, and I imagine it was the same for a lot of comedy appreciators/practitioners. And that's why it was such a huge, arresting moment when I saw some random person on tumblr refer to Bill Cosby as a rapist and my brain went into panic mode. "WHY WOULD SOMEBODY SAY THAT? I HAVE FAT ALBERT T-SHIRTS!" And the more I learned, the more devastated I was that this guy I'd enjoyed so much was a goddamned creep-monster. And of course, I have friends who love making edgy Cosby rape jokes that just make me nauseous to this day. I kinda like Jim Jeffries, but I turned off his new special when he started going into Cosby stuff. I still feel horrible about it.

Even before that really broke, though, he was looking really "off his meds" on talk shows. The last thing I remember seeing that was fun was when he was on Letterman and he actually climbed a ladder up to the balcony to hang with the fans up there. He was on Jimmy Fallon not long before everything crashed and he was kind of wandering the whole set like he might as well have been drunk.

Sometimes, his bits from "Why Is There Air?" that I memorized pop up on my shuffle, and I'll spend some time listening to things that used to make me happy and now make me sad, because wistful reminiscences aren't as funny when you're just wondering whether or not he'd started raping people by the point he's telling you about his football experience against Hofstra. I'm not sure why I haven't taken everything off the iPod yet. Maybe I'm just reminding myself never to have heroes.

If Steve Martin ever turns out to be secretly horrible, though, I'm done.

Anyway, I'm glad Jon Stewart came back to pep talk Larry Wilmore the same way David Letterman came on Jon Stewart's last MTV show to comfort him about cancellation - even, I believe, quoting Letterman's advice to him about not confusing cancellation with failure.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

IRQ posted:

I don't share the reverence you do for the Cos, but you can separate the author from their work and still enjoy the latter for what it is. I can think of quite a few cases where you need to do that to varying degrees. That said, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to, especially in the case of Cosby, Michael Jackson, Roman Polanski etc.

Yeah, I can still sometimes quietly enjoy it by myself, but I have to put myself back in the before-time, when he was just a lovably silly man and not a shitbag (even though I know there was no time he was not both). It's a little easier with music than comedy, which is a lot more directly relies on identifying with the actual human being.

I guess the difference may come in being able to enjoy what you already have/know, but any further actual support of the person or his work should probably be stopped.

I'm thankful I never really got into Woody Allen.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

All right, I'm dumb. What does that mean?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

pwn posted:

The most baffling part of that was CBS censoring not only the innocuous "balls," but even "mouth."

The Tiffany Network really takes their high-class image seriously.

Two and a Half Men proved that.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I like that in calling Kap a "whiny, indulgent, attention-seeking crybaby" she doesn't see that she's actually describing herself.

And by "like" I mean weep softly in fear that my generation's spawn has ruined the world.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Munn did. I think Gad did too. Not sure.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Ape Agitator posted:

Mo was pretty bad but had a handful of good segments to my recollection. I don't know how many segments but Stacey Grenrock Woods was probably the worst of the Killborn era for me. Now that my brain is thinking about it, A Whitney Brown was kind of a dud most times too.

Woods was not in the Kilborn's era.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

There's also the miserable spectre of a Dogshit Administration that makes it continually disheartening and nauseating to discuss.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Tomi Lahren is apparently on TDS tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

The Daily Show 2017: The World Is Dogshit And Satire Is Useless

• Locked thread