Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pillow Hat posted:

Disagreed. Roy is my favorite correspondent, but I think you need someone with a more middle-of-the-road style as host.

Yeah, the host is always the straight man who allows the correspondents to go wild, it's fundamental to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Other correspondents have made it funny before, by being less blunt about it (not going on for so long or specifically naming the Daily Show). Colbert used to do rants that started about one thing and ended up about his personal issues all the time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Titan posted:

Surprised there isn't more love being shown for Neil deGrasse Tyson dropping science all over the place. His mic drop was amazing.

This thread doesn't seem to like admitting it watches the Nightly Show. Still, that was pretty great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://www.complex.com/music/2016/01/neil-degrasse-tyson-demolished-bob-feud-the-nightly-show (go to 1:50)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I tried listening to StarTalk but it was pretty rare that he said something I didn't already know in the Q&A episodes (:chord:) and his co-hosts were annoying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I watched it last night. It's great and it's where the Daily Show's missing hard edges went.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Holy gently caress Ben Carson :staredog:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Ricky Velez is not the worst on the show. Grace Parra is.

NIGHTLY!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

What was that about, I changed the channel as soon as she showed up on screen.

A man-on-the-street bit (1:20)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the Kardashian arguments I've ever seen eventually boil down to "Too many people like them, and I can't see why, so they shouldn't", which isn't going to convince me they're awful garbage people. I guess I'm lucky enough that her fans mostly stay out of my hair, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oh Snapple! posted:

Not even looking at timestamps, this just feels like it was on TNS

Bingo. It came up while talking about the Emory students losing their poo poo over Trump graffiti.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The design schedule doesn't care whose picture is on the bill, it cares about resistance to counterfeiting. The 20 is pretty good in this area and other bills are weaker so they get handled first.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Afro posted:

Trump Rap was excellent

That was the best transposition of political quotes since William Shatner reading Palin tweets as beat poetry.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/jessica-williams-is-leaving-the-daily-show.html

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

her show is going to be good, whatever it is

Apparently it's going to be a scripted comedy about a too-woke millennial.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Probably off preparing for the convention or something, all 3 shows are back to listing new episodes for today and the rest of the week.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
e: n/m I'm dumb

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

raditts posted:

When does the show start tonight? Are they going to start the show after the convention is over, or is it cancelled, or what?

According to the bottom bar right now, the show will start once Trump finishes his speech, which I guess is still happening.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Echo Chamber posted:

With these harassment revelations, Roger Ailes turned Megyn Kelley, Gretchen Carlson, and Andrea Tantaros into sympathetic figures. The world has turned upside down since Jon left.

Didn't Jon do a bit about Gretchen Carlson (or one of them) about how she used to be intelligent and talented and tragically had to suppress it all after becoming just another blonde news bimbo?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://www.avclub.com/article/thursdays-episode-nightly-show-larry-wilmore-will--241124

This week is new, then that's it. @Midnight becomes @ElevenThirty for the time being.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tarlibone posted:

well, when you can't be fired, you do some pretty strange things.

He's spent the whole episode that wasn't a pre-written bit ripping *hard* on Trump and telling people to vote for Hillary.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I don't think Larry was even wrong there. The panels were consistently the weakest part of the show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bass Bottles posted:

I dunno, I kinda remember Colbert doing almost the same jokes about the same topics kinda frequently.

They definitely didn't coordinate to make sure that didn't happen

Sometimes they found different stories to cover but when something really major happened they had no choice but to both talk about it. Usually they tried to at least make different jokes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wait, there was a new episode last night? It showed as a repeat in the guide...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clearly you weren't around to witness the reaction to Josh Gad or Olivia Munn.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Echo Chamber posted:

Trevor's sick. Jordan Klepper is hosting tonight. There's already a clip of it on the Facebook page.

Strange. It feels like he just joined the show yesterday; but now he's the first officer.

All along I was expecting the whole thing to be an extended joke about refusing to admit you missed your shot at the big chair and Trevor to be back for segment 2, but nope, guess it was real #penisfarts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is certainly something

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tarlibone posted:

It reminds me of 2000, when the Daily Show hilariously called their election segment "INDECISION 2000." I remember the first new episode after the election. Jon said casually that they thought they'd just have a few laughs and call it "Indecision 2000," because that'd be a funny play on words. Then he said something along the lines of, "we didn't know you'd take the idea and run with it."

The Nightly Show subtitled their segments "America's Last Election" :tinfoil:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In hindsight that "we're going to put coal out of business" bit was way more telling and damaging than anyone understood at the time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, President Trump For Realsies is just not a funny concept. Plus we're stuck in a sort of purgatory where he hasn't actually done anything yet but the entire left sphere (which includes virtually all comedy) is continuously panicking over possibilities and implications, which is also not funny.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Echo Chamber posted:

Also, I'm not liking the Treasury pick even though he's one of the more "normal" picks.

I agree, but it's a healthy sort of "this person will make decisions I disagree with" dislike and not a maddening "this person will wreck critical pillars of American society" dislike that some of the others merit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The current thread title is pretty old and not that funny nowadays, it should be changed to "Dammit, Andrew, why are you so woke?"

Or use that for a 2017 thread if there's going to be a new one.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 6, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jojoinnit posted:

America Porgress?

Give the guy a break, it's hard to spell when not using Cyrillic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's also a quote from a show that hasn't been on for years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Obama interview appears to have been entered into the Tivo listings as a completely different show (labeled as season 1 episode 1), causing mine to not tape the first five minutes :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I find it hard to blame Obama for anything that didn't get done when every other branch of the government presented a united front against him.

• Locked thread