Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

IRQ posted:

I also don't like the new song.
For real tho, that remix absolutely sucks and I can't believe anyone approved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pillow Hat posted:

I'm glad the seal was changed because despite a (surprisingly) reasonable explanation that (surprisingly) checks out, it's important to consider how it looks regardless. It's sort of like people who get swastika tattoos for Buddhist reasons (which, by the way mcbexx, would have been a much less asinine comparison). Like sure, maybe you're not racist and maybe it's a symbol of peace in your mind -- but you sure as hell look like a racist rear end in a top hat.
Yeah, to me it looked like something out of Parks & Recreation, like one of their town hall murals:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Echo Chamber posted:

Supposedly there's another thinkpiece going around asking why people don't like Trevor Noah.

I read someone else commenting on it, but didn't click on it myself. I think it also argues that The Nightly Show is better, which is a rather.... unpopular opinion to say the least.

Edit: I think a real reason bloggers hate Trevor Noah is because they hate the idea that The Daily Show host is younger than most of them.
I find the problem is that Trevor Noah is almost a non-entity. He reads a bunch of jokes in a row in a jovial manner. It seems fake. I want him to say something off the cuff or get fired up about something. Hell, talk about interesting things going on in Africa that us Americans might not know about. I like John Oliver because he gets pissed about stuff and uncovers interesting stories that the media glosses over.

The only reason to currently watch TDS is the correspondent pieces.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Chromatic posted:

Oh was it the Bill Murray movie reference? Fair enough, I got that wrong.

I'm still extremely disappointed with the new show.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-jon-stewart-was-so-much-better-at-hosting-the-daily-show-than-trevor-noah-2016-1

^ Good article.
That sums up the problem with the current show. Noah has no teeth. It's the TV equivalent of a Quaker popcorn cake.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pillow Hat posted:

That opening segment was loving FIRE.
It almost feels like they realized that they have to start competing for real with John Oliver and Samantha Bee or keep losing viewers. In that segment, Trevor got serious/frustrated instead of acting jovial and chuckling at his own jokes all the time. In addition, it actually educated the viewer about the misinformation about party alignment over the last century (even though it's something you could read on wikipedia).

I was still impressed and hope Trevor sticks to this style over the way he's been in the debut months.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

coyo7e posted:

Does anyone outside of New York actually give a poo poo about Hamilton? Can normal humans at least watch it on DVD or something?
Well, there's an official cast recording album (...and a bootleg video recording that's pretty watchable, psst!), but other than that, it's one of those "pony up a couple hundred dollars and wait a year" types of musicals right now. It's definitely worth listening to if you haven't already.

It is frustrating though knowing that they won't record the play for a retail video release.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I realize that Colbert had the "I know I shouldn't be up here line, but neither should Donald Trump" line prepared the whole time, but the fact that he managed to fire it off last second as he was being dragged away elevated the whole bit at the RNC from slightly funny to performance art.
Fake security guard, it was a bit.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I agree with this, except I do think Jon would have unpacked the point by now. I think Trevor is just lacking that insight, as much as his Daily Show has been great.
Jon did a more satisfying Trump take-down in his 10-minute appearance on Colbert's Late Show than Noah's been doing since he took over.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just miss Jon's honest frustration and energy. I don't quite watch these shows for the comedy, that's secondary. I watch shows like Last Week Tonight and Full Frontal to hear a truth-filled rant/takedown where I can pump my fist in the air and say, "finally, someone articulated the problems with [topic or person] in a succinct way!"

Maybe I should just be watching an actual news channel at this point, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

raditts posted:

Oh, okay. Yeah, I noticed that too, I could never tell if he was pretending to be going senile as an act, or if he actually was. Honestly, I still can't tell.
Yeah, I saw him twice on Jimmy Fallon when he first got the Tonight Show and he was getting really creepy, like you weren't sure if he was really losing his mind. This was still way before the rape stuff came up and I was weirded out.

• Locked thread