Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

fivegears4reverse posted:

If the thing is an ONGOING story and your show suddenly catches on, then you can't afford to NOT have filler arcs because it's your way of keeping the property under your control and bringing in the money, while waiting for your manga-ka or light novelist to stop playing loving Idolmaster and actually get some loving work done.

I too eagerly await the day Miura tires of idolmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

Was there any major backlash complaints about Frontier? Because a few things seemed like "This isn't frontier, don't worry" type of changes.

Outside love triangle BS there wasn't. That was a competently made series, Delta is not.

RangerKarl posted:

blogpost on the whole series extension myth: https://gubabablog.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/no-delta-was-not-extended-after-epsiode-3-aired/

Just makes it even more unusual. Did someone in the writing staff get cold feet about valkyries riding Valkyries shooting at Valkyrie-killing Valkyries?

I think I fell thru a wormhole into the negaverse by reading that page

quote:

My initial reaction for Delta is it is a fine Macross.

Not among the best Macross like Seven or the Frontier movies, but above the weakest ones like Frontier TV and Plus.

The first half is great, it’s seriously one of the most enjoyable experience I had watching Macross.

When the preview episode was released last december, I was shock with now much I enjoyed it, particularly with Freyja, who I was simply not expecting to like that much or even at all. I was also totally sold on the Walkure concept almost as soon as they jumped onto the battlefield with transformation sequences. I remember having a big grin on my face during the whole scene.

Freyja and Hayate are likeable leads that have a great chemistry, which drive a lot of the show greatest scenes.

The second half is more mixed, separated between episodes that try to kept the feeling of the first half, but suffer from a pretty visible struggling production and exposition episodes that just have characters standing around speaking, which are made that way obviously to prevent a production collapse, but make for a dull watching experience.

The show also suffer from characters whose purpose weren’t well thought out from the beginning, from multiples characters that have little role on their owm and would work best as a single entity like Arad and Chuck, to characters that are entirely without purpose and should have been cut off at the planning stage like the twins, to characters that aren’t used to their fullest like Mirage.

But ultimately, I didn’t dislike any characters, which is the essential for me. Frontier TV and Plus are at the bottom for me because they have characters that are just rubbing me the wrong way

One major reason that rumors akin to "Delta's teaser reaction changed the story!" or "Sheryl was going to die until fans 'saved' her!" gain traction among fans of, well, any entertainment medium, is the fact that most people who consume media have no clue as to how its made. Their ideas on why something exists, and the actual reasons for a thing existing in a given form, are so divorced from each other that they aren't even in the same universe a vast majority of the time.

In my case it's more like I find it hard to believe they carefully went into production with that boring-as-hell script. (e: and yet that's what they did) If somehow they were forced to change poo poo by some unforeseen reason then, well, that sucks but I can understand that the result can be iffy. But if everything went according to plan then, well, the dudes in charge have no idea of what they're doing and nobody stopped them.

I call it the "Other M" phenomenon.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 2, 2016

honkykong
Sep 20, 2005

This made me lol, saw it at work. :tinfoil:

It's a bathroom faucet.

honkykong fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 2, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

trucutru posted:

In my case it's more like I find it hard to believe they carefully went into production with that boring-as-hell script. (e: and yet that's what they did) If somehow they were forced to change poo poo by some unforeseen reason then, well, that sucks but I can understand that the result can be iffy. But if everything went according to plan then, well, the dudes in charge have no idea of what they're doing and nobody stopped them.

I call it the "Other M" phenomenon.

As someone who unfortunately watched all of Nobunaga the Fool (Which I think was the last show Kawamori was heavily involved in?), I can attest that Kawamori is more than capable of putting out content that is lame and boring

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Delta just felt like Aquarion EVOL again. Strong start, then one of the more likable male characters dies and the show quickly falls apart because the main couple can't carry the entire show.

Though at least Freyja and Hayate weren't as awful as Amata and Mikono.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
evol is a lot of things but calling it as boring as delta feels insulting

also the main couple was like the only good part of this show

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BlitzBlast posted:

Delta just felt like Aquarion EVOL again. Strong start, then one of the more likable male characters dies and the show quickly falls apart because the main couple can't carry the entire show.

Yeah, Reina and Makina are good but not enough to carry a whole show.

Blockhouse posted:

also the main couple was like the only good part of this show

JUNNA was the best part of the show

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 2, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

trucutru posted:

Yeah, Reina and Makina are good but not enough to carry a whole show.

JUNNA was the best part of the show

Wakka wakka. :v:

But seriously they're the best.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I remember reading somewhere that a local Asian restaurant or bar or something had Frontier's preview playing on the TV and people couldn't stop watching it because of that excitement and spectacle. A concert with aerial stunts where the lead singer throws off the routine but then keeps singing while the protagonist is forced to carry her? J-pop concert in the background while fighters are deployed to face a new alien threat? An idyllic urban cityscape suddenly engulfed in the horrors of war? Frontier had a lot of spectacle and managed to follow through on it.

Delta's first episode had a lot of that same spirit of spectacle but they never did anything as exciting or captivating afterwards.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

trucutru posted:

I think I fell thru a wormhole into the negaverse by reading that page

The guy calls himself Gubaba, why wouldn't he put 7 on a pedestal.

Still, ignoring the bit about TV show ranks, I mostly agree that the second half had way too much standing around and blasting exposition at you. Were they under contract to make sure certain people kept yapping?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

trucutru posted:

In my case it's more like I find it hard to believe they carefully went into production with that boring-as-hell script.

Lots of writers, professional and amatuers alike, go into a project thinking that whatever they got going on paper/computer machine right that instant, it is good and cool. What is supposed to happen is you find people to bounce your work off of in order to figure out what is and isn't working, and tweak things until whatever problems your work is suffering from get resolved. Editors, friends or family, other people working the same project with you, etc.

It's not at all surprising to me that Delta possibly always was this boring on paper. Sometimes, everyone involved in a work on this scale gets behind it entirely, regardless of the faults they see/don't see. It's hard not to feel some sort of pride and protectiveness over a piece of entertainment you're producing. It's hard to tear it up yourself in order to fix it. Maybe you DO see something wrong, but you might be in the minority. Maybe everyone disagrees about various aspects of the project, but nobody can present solutions that everyone is satisfied by. Maybe you're out of time.

So yeah, I'm willing to bet that the whole committee behind Delta all saw what the script was like, and outside of some pretty minor tweaks, they all got behind what they had and did the best they could with it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lots of writers, professional and amatuers alike, go into a project thinking that whatever they got going on paper/computer machine right that instant, it is good and cool. What is supposed to happen is you find people to bounce your work off of in order to figure out what is and isn't working, and tweak things until whatever problems your work is suffering from get resolved. Editors, friends or family, other people working the same project with you, etc.

It's not at all surprising to me that Delta possibly always was this boring on paper. Sometimes, everyone involved in a work on this scale gets behind it entirely, regardless of the faults they see/don't see. It's hard not to feel some sort of pride and protectiveness over a piece of entertainment you're producing. It's hard to tear it up yourself in order to fix it. Maybe you DO see something wrong, but you might be in the minority. Maybe everyone disagrees about various aspects of the project, but nobody can present solutions that everyone is satisfied by. Maybe you're out of time.

So yeah, I'm willing to bet that the whole committee behind Delta all saw what the script was like, and outside of some pretty minor tweaks, they all got behind what they had and did the best they could with it.

So yeah,

trucutru posted:

the dudes in charge have no idea of what they're doing and nobody stopped them.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So it's a Star Wars: Episodes 1-3 situation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they probably figured that the aerial knights would be pure unadulterated crack for fujoshi, when in reality it doesn't seem like anyone liked them very much.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the fujoshi market is very powerful and it isn't strange for people to want a piece of that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gundam already did that years ago by hiring the loveless artist for 00.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
every time keith and roid were in the same frame it's like "THESE TWO ARE REALLY GAY FOR EACH OTHER OK" and we're all like "OK but what about the re-" "NO" and we just stayed silent and hoped that maybe Tenjin or somebody else might knock on Kawamori's door and say "Dude, your last batch is just not working out" and they go out to get better weed writers or something.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RangerKarl posted:

every time keith and roid were in the same frame it's like "THESE TWO ARE REALLY GAY FOR EACH OTHER OK" and we're all like "OK but what about the re-" "NO" and we just stayed silent and hoped that maybe Tenjin or somebody else might knock on Kawamori's door and say "Dude, your last batch is just not working out" and they go out to get better weed writers or something.

They needed to have some sort of mechanic where Windemerdians touch runes to communicate their feelings or something. Avatar-style.

Roido-sama: My rune is going pika-pika for you.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 2, 2016

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they probably figured that the aerial knights would be pure unadulterated crack for fujoshi, when in reality it doesn't seem like anyone liked them very much.

They didn't even manage to set the bait right. Of all the aerial knights, only White Knight actually did anything that could be remotely construed as fujoshi bait, quite literally ramming his throbbing blade of justice through Roido-sama. And that is literally it.

Everyone else in that whole team was basically Character Archetype: THAT Guy. You had your Odd Twins Who Occasionally Showed Up To Cheerlead. There was the Old Man Getting Too Old For This poo poo, and his best of best friends, Honorable Dude Who Dies In A Pointlessly Symbolic Way.

And then we have Bogue The Fuckass, who I think was supposed to be important but instead was so terrible he made me wish I was watching Gundam Unicorn, where they had a similar but superior nut-hugger of a character actually make his giant robot BOW IN SPACE to make way for the object of his homolust. All we got out of Bogue was "AAAAAARGH I AM MAD AT WALKURE- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH I AM INCOMPETENT AGAIN- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING IS THIS AN ERECTION?!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I thought they were going to set Bogue up with an unrequited mancrush on Keith but then they started to have him basically go through the "Ewww, cooties!" phase of puberty on screen despite him being at least in his late teens and I wasn't really sure what they were trying to do with him after that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think they knew what they were doing with any of the supporting cast

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

I thought they were going to set Bogue up with an unrequited mancrush on Keith but then they started to have him basically go through the "Ewww, cooties!" phase of puberty on screen despite him being at least in his late teens and I wasn't really sure what they were trying to do with him after that.

Remember that late teens is already beyond middle-age for them. God, what a mess.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
For a show that really liked to drag its heels, Delta's finale seemed really rushed.

I'm going to hold off on final judgement until I can watch it all again without the week long gaps between episodes.

honkykong posted:

This made me lol, saw it at work. :tinfoil:

It's a bathroom faucet.

:aaaaa: that's pretty loving bonkers

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
You'd think the Windermereans would just start shouting RUDANJAL ROM MAYAN into the cosmos in hopes of just randomly finding the Star Singer

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MJP posted:

You'd think the Windermereans would just start shouting RUDANJAL ROM MAYAN into the cosmos in hopes of just randomly finding the Star Singer

They are too pissed about a city of hundreds (maybe even thousands) being obliterated to think straight. Such are the perils of globular-cluster-wide warfare.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

trucutru posted:

They are too pissed about a city of hundreds (maybe even thousands) being obliterated to think straight. Such are the perils of globular-cluster-wide warfare.

I think the point was that they were more pissed about being hosed over by NUNS, but yeah.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

I think the point was that they were more pissed about being hosed over by NUNS, but yeah.

They should consider themselves lucky they don't have to deal with RABBIS. :dance:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I guess my problem with Delta is that it wasn't necessarily bad per se, but just kind of meh. So much wasted potential. I'm wondering if we will see more of the characters since they've really alluded to the story not being completely over (who is Lady M, the march towards peace talks, and frankly Walkure being one of the most powerful forces in the galaxy).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Delta had cute and fun characters with some good interactions, and it had good songs, but the battles were maybe a bit too few or at least too frontloaded and did not deliver on the promise given by the insanity in the first episode.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BattleMaster posted:

Delta had cute and fun characters with some good interactions, and it had good songs, but the battles were maybe a bit too few or at least too frontloaded and did not deliver on the promise given by the insanity in the first episode.

There were a ton of battles in the show! They just all consisted of planes zipping around shooting at each other to no real effect.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kanos posted:

There were a ton of battles in the show! They just all consisted of planes zipping around shooting at each other to no real effect.

Yeah I guess they blurred together a bit, but they also were heavily front-loaded in the first half. It would have gone a long way for things to have been more evenly spaced out (and also more exciting)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
once again, whether it was due to budget, time constraints or a deliberate stylistic choice, having the signature transforming robots never transform was just awful.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

having the signature transforming robots never transform was just awful.

I agree, but have you seen the VF-31 in Battroid mode?

:barf:

Granted, it looks way better with the super packs on it, but that only happened once or twice. :(

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It's got dem long legs

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I kinda like the arm railgun SMGs. Seemed strange that you had a weapons platform that needed to hold its main guns.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, i guess they did transform a few times, but that was almost always to get shot in the shields repeatedly. those scenes sucked too.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I'm catching up with the show after moving countries. Picked up at 17, and cracked up at "my dickculture!" with all the guys on their phones. Can't wait to finish the show.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Kingtheninja posted:

"my dickculture!"

This will always be there at the back of my mind while watching Macross.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy yes the original theme kicking in during the history lesson in episode 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BattleMaster posted:

I can't say as I even agree with this rather faint praise, since Ikenai Borderline was the only song that really stood out to me throughout the show and while I liked the characters, I got bored of most of them after 6 or 7 episodes and feel that Hayate and Freyja are the only ones who ever got significant interaction, most of which I didn't care about. Even their interactions in Freyja's birthday, which was presumably supposed to be cute, didn't really do anything for me and felt saccharine more than fun. There were the occasional setups for interaction, like Freyja screaming without realizing that Messer was there that seemed like the basis for some good stuff, but of which nothing developed in the end. Hayate taking Freyja for a spin in his VF to blow off steam was cool. That's about the only interaction of theirs I can think of that I really liked. I think I disliked most of the rest because I just wasn't invested in their relationship, and their's was the only relationship explored in any depth within the show. I'd love to have seen more of Chuck, Ernest, Arad, Mikumo and a few others, but the show was too busy playing footsy with a mystery to do anything with any of them. Like, I dropped the show after 22 episodes so I may have missed it, but did anything even come of Ernest teaching VF karate or whatever it was he specialized in? The concept of seeing him (or Mirage I guess) fighting a VF was a great tease, but it certainly seemed to have been left at the wayside along with a lot of other really fun stuff after the first episode.

I'd probably like a few more songs if I ever grabbed the album, but the show didn't inspire enough interest to even try. I've never been a huge fan of any Macross music though, and while I liked a couple of songs in most Macross TV shows, the music in the franchise as a whole has left me cold. Delta is the least impressive of the TV shows in that regard to me I suppose, but it's not something I was ever expecting to majorly care about and not finding a lot of songs to enjoy doesn't surprise me or disappoint me because of it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 4, 2016

• Locked thread