Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
lol still finding items that make me just stop and blink for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
Yeah I don't think I've ever seen anyone build around that, and I doubt I ever will. I swear some of the MI's in this game are just the dev's loving with people.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Demo + NB is unpopular because of no exclusive but items like that look fun as hell and it does have some tasty synergies like stacking attack speed on the dualwield melee base of NB. Demo also delivers loads of survivability to the playstyle.

With that MI I could see an absurdly spicy "standing in my own thermite mines" melee build. What dropped it, Flesh Forge?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

EL Skirvo posted:

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen anyone build around that, and I doubt I ever will. I swear some of the MI's in this game are just the dev's loving with people.

I am that guy, notice the color coding

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Do MI's that convert damage of skills change the effect colors too? This is the most important question.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

EL Skirvo posted:

I use one of those on my Saboteur and it's pretty great:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/Q2zd8b9Z

There's not really any points for Ring of Steel on this build and it works good as a Fire Strike blender. I haven't found an Ember's Calling mask yet and that'd be the next natural upgrade.

I do like the icons they added for rare items because if you get a double rare item the icon lights up and the text card now lets you know it's double rare instead of having to memorize the names of the affixes.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
Hell yeah man do it! I'm all for goofy rear end MI builds. I mostly avoid nightblade because {too many buttons}. Demo for the same reason if i'm honest.

I'm about to do a spellbinder using this for vitality Devastation, should be fun

image hosting

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Re: what drops what I strongly recommend Grimtools item DB, you can search specific strings like "fire damage converted to" or "damage converted to piercing" or particular skill names and it will return every possible item and what drops it.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

jjac posted:

Do MI's that convert damage of skills change the effect colors too? This is the most important question.

If it's 100% conversion yes. If you have to cobble 100% from different items no sadly. But yeah, you can get different colored Aether Ray, Rune of Kalastor, etc with the right items. Which MI are you looking at?

40 Proof Listerine posted:

I use one of those on my Saboteur and it's pretty great:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/Q2zd8b9Z

There's not really any points for Ring of Steel on this build and it works good as a Fire Strike blender. I haven't found an Ember's Calling mask yet and that'd be the next natural upgrade.

I do like the icons they added for rare items because if you get a double rare item the icon lights up and the text card now lets you know it's double rare instead of having to memorize the names of the affixes.

That looks pretty amazing really. I'm a sucker for Ulzuin's torch proc.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

EL Skirvo posted:

If it's 100% conversion yes. If you have to cobble 100% from different items no sadly. But yeah, you can get different colored Aether Ray, Rune of Kalastor, etc with the right items. Which MI are you looking at?

That's good to know, I've been eyeing a 100% lightning converter for doom bolt when I get around to making an 'all lightning storms' conjurer. Actually getting there means a lot of aether resist, though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This game is so good at making you feel clever for figuring out something weird :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Absolutely bonkers thing I have discovered about Grimtools' item DB search: it caches its item DB data in your PC's video memory, so if you leave it open in a tab while you play it can claim too much memory and compete with other apps/games running and cause them to crash :stare:
e: I doubt this is particularly the fault of the web page itself, more Google Chrome not being very smart about memory management, but heads up anyhow

VERY PLEASED with how this full acid/poison melee rift slicer Nightblade is going, I just discovered that the frostburn damage from Pneumatic Burst/Elemental Awakening is converted to more poison damage :toxx:

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/vNQj4DX2

I had been trying to do poison melee with Demo/Fire Strike and it wasn't very good, turns out you're supposed to use Amarasta's Blade Burst instead of a basic attack replacer for your regular left click power, durp

e: I guess I could drop Dual Blades down to 1 point since it's just adding some base acid damage to Shadow Strike after conversion

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 8, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

lol still finding items that make me just stop and blink for a while

Doomykins posted:

Demo + NB is unpopular because of no exclusive but items like that look fun as hell and it does have some tasty synergies like stacking attack speed on the dualwield melee base of NB. Demo also delivers loads of survivability to the playstyle.

With that MI I could see an absurdly spicy "standing in my own thermite mines" melee build. What dropped it, Flesh Forge?

for reference, this particular item drops from one of the bosses in the skeleton key dungeon just to the east of the Coven village, it's a crab boss just before the final boss. The vendor that sells all the Ugdenbog MIs and recipe drops is also in this area.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Rad, thanks. I off again on again want to see how strong a Saboteur can get because of my contrarian build heart.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Man, I really wish I had figured out sooner that Blade Burst is what Nightblade is kind of supposed to be using on left mouse button :doh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I beelined maximum skeletons, and unlike TQ which just never gave me specific pet gear I immediately got a drop to buff them and a blue ring to add even more skeletons and now I'm untouchable

Fine work, skeletons

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

Warden Krieg also drops a nice scepter for pets, and you can get a decent helm for skellies from morton's claim (ghost dude in blood grove who asks for dynamite)

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Man, I really wish I had figured out sooner that Blade Burst is what Nightblade is kind of supposed to be using on left mouse button :doh:

A lot of builds do, though some just use it for buffing damage kinda how like bone harvest works. My only nightblade build i really got into was my dual wield acid dervish. He still used ABB for the 8 second damage buff but had righteous fervor for his left click.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh yay I found the Chain Lightning spell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm now up to 4 skeletons (the Warden dropped the thing!), a bird, a hosed up flesh monster, and if I get hit sometimes I get a wolf friend thanks to another item. My main dude would be pretty worthless, except I got some cool flaming boots and retaliation stuff so I just get punched in the face then run laps around stuff and everyone who isn't dead gets shot by a skeleton. I've also gone up to veteran already because I hadn't ever pressed the "heal" button despite the above lmao. I also just saw the achievement for having 18 pets so now I have a goal

Game's good but I really don't like the setting as much as Titan Quest's. It just feels kind of bland.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 12, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The expansion areas have more unique design but yeah, the main campaign is pretty standard arpg areas with some lovecraftian flavour

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I felt the same way about the setting at first but it's really grown on me. Colonial-era Cowboys & Cthulhu, with guns and grenades. Wouldn't surprise me to learn the designers were fans of Delta Green.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone have any advice about when it's worth swapping to two pistols instead of a rifle for a purifier? I'm currently running around with a 2h Brimstone Repeater at level 37 (and the 2 piece set bonus with Eyes of Flame), but I do have the blacksmith recipe to make Hand Mortars, so I could make 2 1h pistols that should be pretty okay if it's worth swapping over now.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Arivia posted:

Does anyone have any advice about when it's worth swapping to two pistols instead of a rifle for a purifier? I'm currently running around with a 2h Brimstone Repeater at level 37 (and the 2 piece set bonus with Eyes of Flame), but I do have the blacksmith recipe to make Hand Mortars, so I could make 2 1h pistols that should be pretty okay if it's worth swapping over now.

Whenever you get pistols that work for what you're building

Or right now yolo build it and they will come

Or never

Live your truth

Edit: seriously, GD is the anti-PoE; you can make just about anything work and the more important thing is doing whatever vibes with where you're at right now

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bah humbug, GD Item Assistant does not work in Linux... guess i'll have to go back to making mule characters for the game. :shrug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol, got to the final boss of Steps of Torment, at 1% hp it instant kills me after doing no damage the entire fight, and it turns out I don't get to try again

:thumbsup:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah any of the skeleton key dungeons are one try per session, although I'm pretty sure you can just exit/re-enter and you can have another go.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol, got to the final boss of Steps of Torment, at 1% hp it instant kills me after doing no damage the entire fight, and it turns out I don't get to try again

:thumbsup:

Check your DA, you might have gotten crit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Suburban Dad posted:

Check your DA, you might have gotten crit.

Probably, but it's a little annoying he managed to get past seven critters to hit me to do it. The pets weren't even harmed at all lol

It's more annoying I just can't try again until much later

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah any of the skeleton key dungeons are one try per session, although I'm pretty sure you can just exit/re-enter and you can have another go.

Nope, it says I need another key, so no luck until I get sweet sweet blood

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

Yeah you have to exit to menu and start a new game, then get another key and do it all over again. Alkamos can be nasty, esp his pools of cold and the cramped little area you fight him in. Make sure to keep moving and lead him out into the main dungeon if you have to. Ground damage is super easy to miss and is especially nasty as it can crit with each tick, which is probably what happened.

edit: fyi you can just craft another key at the smith, they quest guy at the entrance should have given you the recipe

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If I ever get any blood to do it I'll try it again but that's really lame

Still liking the game but the more I play the better TQ seems in comparison

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In a while you will have a lot more frequent access to that stuff, plus there are some NPCs that will convert one type of rare reagent to another, it's not so bad. Nothing like Path of Exile where access to the content is literally currency that must be farmed

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The roguelike dungeons really pissed me off until I figured out that they are meant for lategame content or tuned characters that are kitted out with stash equipment from previous playthroughs.

I guess it is signposted pretty clearly, but I was just as frustrated when the same thing happened to me in my first playthrough.

Best to wait until you're a ways into act 3 or 4 before using the skeleton keys. Your resistances and DA should all be coming together at that point. Coincidentally, late Act 3 and 4 are where you can easily get blood for crafting keys.

E: LMAO yeah here I am being salty about Steps of Torment 5 years ago :v:

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ehh, chances of me actually playing through the campaign three times without rerolling characters or moving on to something else are slim. Those dungeons are strictly an endgame thing then?

*have played through the campaign like 8 or 10 times now*

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 15, 2024

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't touch them until 100 and ultimate unless there's something in there (MI) for a build I'm leveling. Might as well save dem keys.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Yeah, you can do those during the campaign but generally they are early-ish endgame content for after you’ve finished the story on all three difficulties.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You can do them if your build is online any time, they breadcrumb you the entrance to first one with a gatekeeper stat check boss by level 25-35 if you do all act 3 side content.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I hate how I get less skill points starting at 51. Hate hate hate it. I recognized I couldn’t pick everything but I figured I could at least pick up the interesting stuff on both my trees. Looking through a talent calculator though that poo poo is tight.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you'll hate it more then at 91-100

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good to know I need to wrap up getting my last pet lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

iceyman posted:

Beware that the one annoying aspect of chain lightning from seal of skies requires you to select a valid target to fire it off. You can't just spam it every which way like a fireball.

thats fine, i've been playing on deck so autotargeting ftw