Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't touch them until 100 and ultimate unless there's something in there (MI) for a build I'm leveling. Might as well save dem keys.

What about when you have a quest to do one of them? The Outcast wants something from the Arkovian Undead one, for example.

When is it important to sit down and grind out reputation, anyway? It seems like the augments are important for getting gear going for Ultimate, so do you need to finish up the reps on Elite first to prepare yourself for the hardest difficulty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I usually just do the main quests through the first couple difficulties and any ones I randomly stumble across along the way. Ultimate I go through most of the stuff since I want the map more explored for totems. Said totems are pretty great for rep but not as targeted as quests.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Once you get one character maxed out in a particular faction you can buy Mandate items to trade to your other characters that give a huge increase to the rate of faction gain, and with those you tend to get to Revered easily just doing Normal difficulty's quests and a bit of hero/boss killing, it's really only a big deal for the first character.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I find that I naturally accumulate rep through normal leveling play through if I work to "unlock" all all the factions as soon as possible. This unfortunately means having to play through the main quest and Malmouth expansion up to the sewer point where you meet the Resistance which is a bit of a slog. You can do this the fastest in Normal difficulty. Then jump over to Elite/Ultimate where doing the faction quests nets you good exp anyways.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There are some excellent MI's in some of the dungeons, I've gotten some build-defining stuff.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Rep grind whenever you see something on a vendor you can use and want.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
The reputation gains are increased huge on Elite and Ultimate to where if you level normally to 100 on all 3 difficulties that should cover most of your rep needs. You don't need to max out rep on Normal.

The faction specific augments are pretty cool and do require higher levels to use and until you get those higher levels and reputation amounts you can get by just fine with Survivor's Ingenuity jewelery augments from Devil's Crossing and resistance augments from the Rovers and Homestead; the Outcast is another one that has versatile augments that's easy to max out, as is Black Legion.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

been rolling a chaos/vitality deceiver mostly focused on flames of ignafar and it's been fun, a nice change of pace playing as a caster but i've been missing the oomph of demolitionist's and oathkeeper's spells. however i just got doom bolt and i no longer have any complaints

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You all were right, you get more skeleton keys faster than I thought

I went back and owned that rear end in a top hat with twice as many skeletons and a lightning nova ability I just held the button down on and ran away the moment it looked like he could try to gently caress me again (it clipped me into a wall lol so it was close). I got trash and satisfaction as a reward

The lightning nova is three times the dps of my beatstick, which only exists to let me summon one more skeleton lmao

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That particular boss drops (among other things) a super optimal caster offhand that buffs Demolitionist's Blackwater Cocktail and fire damage, most bosses like that tend to have some notable unique items that have a dramatic effect on some skill

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

leaning into the laziest character I can come up with
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4NOR3qoZ

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I killed Cthulu :toot:

I ended with seven skeletons (I never stopped using that weapon from Krieg lmao), a dog, 2-3 fat zombies, and a bird. Afterward I crafted an artifact to make a crab and I finally got to my ghosts lmao

That felt weirdly short, but I guess I was thinking I was going back to Devil's Crossing at some point since the whole backhalf (? apparently) of the game was "we're starving go to Homestead", then Homestead was gearing up for that then I went to help the Black Company instead lmao. I just assumed I'd double back and tell them they were hosed or solve the problem. It's not like anyone plays for the plot though. On to the dlc! Only bought the one but so far so good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I killed Cthulu :toot:

I ended with seven skeletons (I never stopped using that weapon from Krieg lmao), a dog, 2-3 fat zombies, and a bird. Afterward I crafted an artifact to make a crab and I finally got to my ghosts lmao

That felt weirdly short, but I guess I was thinking I was going back to Devil's Crossing at some point since the whole backhalf (? apparently) of the game was "we're starving go to Homestead", then Homestead was gearing up for that then I went to help the Black Company instead lmao. I just assumed I'd double back and tell them they were hosed or solve the problem. It's not like anyone plays for the plot though. On to the dlc! Only bought the one but so far so good.

when I got to honored with Homestead they finally agreed to send food to Devil's Crossing. so it's not dropped as a plotline, just kind of put aside next to the main plot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arivia posted:

when I got to honored with Homestead they finally agreed to send food to Devil's Crossing. so it's not dropped as a plotline, just kind of put aside next to the main plot.

I guess I should've killed more bugs lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess I should've killed more bugs lmao

you're gonna keep getting rep with them going into the expansion, the next difficulty, etc, so i wouldn't worry about it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Do you have the expansion DLCs? because the part up to the Cthulhu monster is about 40% or less of the full content including Ashes of Malmouth/Forgotten Gods

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flesh Forge posted:

Do you have the expansion DLCs? because the part up to the Cthulhu monster is about 40% or less of the full content including Ashes of Malmouth/Forgotten Gods

Not Forgotten Gods no, but I got Malmouth just so I could play necromancer and glad I did so far

I'll probably get FG next sale (the game itself was originally a gift)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can just keep going into Ashes of Malmouth then, it's a straight extension of the base game's main quest. Forgotten Gods is a completely separate map and story and you can pick that up at any time.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Flesh Forge posted:

You can just keep going into Ashes of Malmouth then, it's a straight extension of the base game's main quest. Forgotten Gods is a completely separate map and story and you can pick that up at any time.

Forgotten gods will make more sense if you complete both the kymon and the death’s vigil storylines first though

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
lol imagine reading text in an ARPG

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Azran posted:

lol imagine reading text in an ARPG

:respek: I don't even try with ARPGs at this point, just give me that loot

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Grim Dawn has pretty good text and a relatively unique vibe/atmosphere

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Grim Dawn has pretty good text and a relatively unique vibe/atmosphere

I wouldn't call it super unique in terms of atmosphere since dark horror fantasy is pretty much the go-to for ARPGs, but it does have some interesting ideas in terms of worldbuilding and storytelling. Finding some side quests in Mourndale that are just like what.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
I really enjoyed the setting and lore of the OG+Malmouth even if it wasn't the most original, the lore notes especially were decently written. Forgotten gods is absolutely forgettable though, basically just a knockoff of Morrowind set in Egypt. They even have what are basically dwemer automatons. Crate was pretty distracted trying to get shattered realms working so I guess I can somewhat forgive the actual campaign being so mediocre. I'm just hoping the same thing doesn't happen with Asterkarn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I did enjoy how basically every other incidental lore thing ended with "so, I ate him. Hail Satan or Cthulu." and the backstory of the last empire boiled down to "we probably shouldn't have pissed the necromancer off first."

e: Got to 18 critters lol, dlc weapons are pretty good huh

Also lost a ton to the optional final boss reskin early on in it - the game just stopped rendering all its attacks for a while, I think I put too much poo poo on screen for it lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 18, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

I hate how I get less skill points starting at 51. Hate hate hate it. I recognized I couldn’t pick everything but I figured I could at least pick up the interesting stuff on both my trees. Looking through a talent calculator though that poo poo is tight.

despite this game is still fun and killing poo poo is fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The reduced skill points didn't super matter by the time I blew up the Shaper of Flesh (ew lol). My build was basically done and everything else was just icing. I even got a hat that let me summon more than 3 skeletons at once finally!

Something I did really appreciate is how varied the drops were compared to Titan Quest in areas, and how the game had protection seemingly to make sure I got at least SOMETHING good. Half the legendaries were relevant to me, unlike my TQ run where like one was lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

despite this game is still fun and killing poo poo is fun.

alright, at level 74 i finally finished pretty much everything in normal (missed one one-shot chest in a roguelike dungeon i can't be bothered to go get). time to see what elite is like!

here's my character so far, if anyone has build advice on what to do: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2mE06m2

i pretty much just left click and kill poo poo, throw blackwater cocktails to reduce resistances. everything else is extra buttons for lots of enemies or particularly strong ones.

i need to make a better relic and i was gonna finish up the devotion tree by going for ulzuin's torch, but i don't quite have the points nor really anything to put the ability on, so i dunno.

e: and i have an empowered brimstone shoulderguard i accidentally took off at one point I guess. i'll fix that next time I get on to play.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

spent a while farming the cthonic nemesi(?) for the faction warrant and i don't think i like the nemesis system. some are fine and the ashes of malmouth cthonic nemesis is way less of a pain than benny to track down (even if it's way more annoying to fight) but there's still a few spawn locations that are just annoying to get to

turns out in the end i'd already used a cthonic warrant on the character i was farming one for lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
oh my god the oathkeeper taunt is actually avenger's shield (a shield toss like captain america) i love it

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arivia posted:

oh my god the oathkeeper taunt is actually avenger's shield (a shield toss like captain america) i love it

aegis of menhir is easily one of the most fun skills in the game to use

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.

Arivia posted:

alright, at level 74 i finally finished pretty much everything in normal (missed one one-shot chest in a roguelike dungeon i can't be bothered to go get). time to see what elite is like!

here's my character so far, if anyone has build advice on what to do: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/q2mE06m2

i pretty much just left click and kill poo poo, throw blackwater cocktails to reduce resistances. everything else is extra buttons for lots of enemies or particularly strong ones.

i need to make a better relic and i was gonna finish up the devotion tree by going for ulzuin's torch, but i don't quite have the points nor really anything to put the ability on, so i dunno.

e: and i have an empowered brimstone shoulderguard i accidentally took off at one point I guess. i'll fix that next time I get on to play.

If it were me, I'd get more RR. BWC will give you flat RR, but you'll want to max or softcap the third node to get a useful amount. After that, probably push to 50 points in inquisitor mastery and then max aura of censure for -%RR. I'd also probably suggest switching from mortar trap to thermite mine, even just softcapped the mines do a ton of additional -%rr and are my favorite demo skill for proccing the magi constellation.

Did a little redistribution here https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eZPGQYKV

Just filled out the above, swapped mortar for thermite mine and maxed temper (you'll be wanting that flat DA it gives in ultimate.) Took the points out of deadly aim since one point is plenty, and maxed out bursting round so that phoenix fire has a better chance of proccing. Devotion wise, you have plenty of points to grab ulzuin's torch if you finish magi and take the blue and green out of crossroads. I rearranged what devotion goes on what skill a bit, mostly putting witchfire on BWC, and ulzuins on firestrike. You could probably drop flashbang and just assign imp to stormspread or something if you want less buttons to press and more skill points.

That will give you 27 flat and -57% fire\elemental RR along with 100+ more DA and flat physical damage (that can get converted to fire or at least boosted by fire strike) and the best constellation for disco builds, ulzuin's torch. Once you hit 75 don't forget to get seals of the void for your guns and a prismatic diamond for your helm if you have the recipes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EL Skirvo posted:

If it were me, I'd get more RR. BWC will give you flat RR, but you'll want to max or softcap the third node to get a useful amount. After that, probably push to 50 points in inquisitor mastery and then max aura of censure for -%RR. I'd also probably suggest switching from mortar trap to thermite mine, even just softcapped the mines do a ton of additional -%rr and are my favorite demo skill for proccing the magi constellation.

Did a little redistribution here https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eZPGQYKV

Just filled out the above, swapped mortar for thermite mine and maxed temper (you'll be wanting that flat DA it gives in ultimate.) Took the points out of deadly aim since one point is plenty, and maxed out bursting round so that phoenix fire has a better chance of proccing. Devotion wise, you have plenty of points to grab ulzuin's torch if you finish magi and take the blue and green out of crossroads. I rearranged what devotion goes on what skill a bit, mostly putting witchfire on BWC, and ulzuins on firestrike. You could probably drop flashbang and just assign imp to stormspread or something if you want less buttons to press and more skill points.

That will give you 27 flat and -57% fire\elemental RR along with 100+ more DA and flat physical damage (that can get converted to fire or at least boosted by fire strike) and the best constellation for disco builds, ulzuin's torch. Once you hit 75 don't forget to get seals of the void for your guns and a prismatic diamond for your helm if you have the recipes.

Thank you!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

watho posted:

aegis of menhir is easily one of the most fun skills in the game to use

I wish it has a transmuter like primal strike that let you use it with no cooldown at reduced damage.

I know you can get it to 0 cooldown with specific items but that's not until way high levels.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arivia posted:

I wouldn't call it super unique in terms of atmosphere since dark horror fantasy is pretty much the go-to for ARPGs, but it does have some interesting ideas in terms of worldbuilding and storytelling. Finding some side quests in Mourndale that are just like what.

The unique part I’m referencing is less “dark horror” which is super super broad and more “multiple concurrent apocalypses in an early modern-ish era setting”. Which is rather uncommon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

The unique part I’m referencing is less “dark horror” which is super super broad and more “multiple concurrent apocalypses in an early modern-ish era setting”. Which is rather uncommon.

That is true!

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I'm not usually into paid skins for games but that c'thon swirly head dude looks loving dope

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/219990/view/3953664641970534183?l=english

upload image

EL Skirvo fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 3, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well that is majestic as poo poo

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Can I get that skin for the boys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I last played this in 2018 and am getting the itch to make another character. I heard the most recent big patch added a base dodge move, converted consumable potions to cooldown buttons and condensed loot into fewer/better drops, which all sounds great. any other big feature changes like that in the last few years to be aware of? I've played ashes of malmouth once but not forgotten gods yet.

any suggestions for a build using a DLC class that gets fun during the first playthrough and involves pressing several buttons? just broad strokes for major skills/damage to focus on. I've never made it far into playthroughs after the first.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 7, 2024