Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Rookersh posted:

Does this also apply to the Shaman lightning version of Cadence that is every attack? Savagery or whatever it's called?

Was thinking of doing a ForcequakexShaman proc build, but would have some extra points for those if needbe.

No, that's specific to Cadence because of its weird every-third-hit mechanic. Every other auto attack modifier stacks fully with proc skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Does anyone NOT use the classic targeting? The second I dragged my mouse off of a still-live enemy while holding the button and walked away I knew it wasn't for me. Does the default have any advantages?

I don't use classic targetting. If you kill quickly and attack quickly, it's a lot easier to just hold down the mouse for entire fights, as you work your way through mobs. Assuming you're not a spazz who accidentally moves the curser off a mob before it dies, of course. There's A LOT less clicking involved with classic targetting off. You just hold down the button for minutes at a time.

Night10194 posted:

WHAT.

Was this true in Titanquest. gently caress.

LOL

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Does anyone NOT use the classic targeting? The second I dragged my mouse off of a still-live enemy while holding the button and walked away I knew it wasn't for me. Does the default have any advantages?

Meanwhile: I recently found out while playing some ARPG (Torchlight II or Diablo 3 maybe or maybe Vermintide because that game is the true clickfest) that multiple friends were clicking for every attack. So I guess this is a PSA that you don't have to do that. Save your finger and your mouse.

Dang I didn't know about classic targeting. I guess I might switch to it even though I've gotten used to the current way.

I didn't spam clicks at least. In fact with the current targeting system I'd hold down mouse pretty much forever at times.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Garfu posted:

Great game that I play a lot.

Here is some flair for the OP if you're so inclined:

Thanks for this.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Night10194 posted:

WHAT.

Was this true in Titanquest. gently caress.

I can't tell if you're joking. :ohdear:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I can't tell if you're joking. :ohdear:

I'm not. I played all of loving Titanquest with multiple PCs clicking every time.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I just wanted to thank all of you goons for your feedback and advice in the thread. I've updated the OP with stuff you've posted.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Man, even the Steam guides haven't got a soldier build, lovely or otherwise. I know there's no depth to the click-until-dead class but I just feel like it's not playing well. It does gently caress all damage and I don't have a reliable AoE for mobs. I don't particularly want to multiclass yet since I already feel spread thin at 21...

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Man, even the Steam guides haven't got a soldier build, lovely or otherwise. I know there's no depth to the click-until-dead class but I just feel like it's not playing well. It does gently caress all damage and I don't have a reliable AoE for mobs. I don't particularly want to multiclass yet since I already feel spread thin at 21...

I'm currently doing a Battlemage that gives a a fair bit of active skills. I'm running with Candace, Blitz, Shock-wave, Shield Slam and Raging Tempest. (I could even through in flash freeze on a easy point) The secret if you feel like you don't have enough skills is to look for components that will give you new ones. Have a shield? Put a battered shell in to get Shield Slam. Want another attack? Put a chipped claw into a weapon and get Slam.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah I'll be honest: I haven't looked AT ALL into crafting/components/anything. I probably should.

One thing I thoroughly enjoy is the faction system and the fact that the more dudes you kill the higher chance it'll spawn heroes and such for them to give you a higher reward. It's a neat idea.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You can use Blade Arc or Forcewave as main attacks instead of Cadence. Better AoE for sure, but I dunno about single target.

I've tried both because I really don't like Cadence, and there are problems with them though. No-cd Forcewave's damage seemed bad (undertuned?) to me even considering its ranged and good AoE. Blade Arc demands energy regen on gear and it can be hard to maintain even with that once its at a high rank. Arc also kinda sucks against skeletons and other bleed immune monsters.

My favorite was Blade Arc but I only got to level 34 so idk how it is at higher levels.

jingletard
Jan 6, 2016
Is there a preferred weapon type for a demolitionist? I'm assuming either a 2H ranged weapon or 2x 1H ranged weapons?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Even using maxed Cadence I feel like my damage is pooooop. I have to be building my character wrong but THANKFULLY the game is extremely lenient on respecs so I can play around la la la!

So here's an ARPG thing I can't loving believe:

Marvel Heroes 2015 drops premium items that can be lost on level transition. It SUCKS when you're just trying to dive through an area and then one of them drops and you have to try and pick it up but you can't because it's covered in 60 enemies and all you want to do is click the item and pick it up and you can't and gently caress you!

Grim Dawn's the opposite. If I lift off my mouse and reclick on an enemy if I'm over an item nameplate it prioritizes picking up the item instead of hitting the bad guy. This is ALSO wrong!

What ARPG's SHOULD do (and so far I don't know of any that do) is prioritize enemy clicks but if you hold ALT (or whatever the show items key is) it prioritizes the item.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
tbh I wish the game was even more respeccy because then I'd recommend going Warder with Savagery and Feral Hunger for your leftclicking melee character, but I'm hesitant as the class choice is permanent and you might not like it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have a blademaster (still at 40 since I haven't played her since the cap was raised above 40) who used cadence and just stacked attack speed with dual wielded weapons so it would trigger as often as possible, using things like amarasta's quick cut for bonus on non-cadence attacks. It was super powerful. I feel like cadence probably won't do much for you with slower weapons.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I guess I should mention my current build is 2-handers. I get the feeling they may not be viable 'til the late game because 90% of my drops are not them.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

"Attack-until-dead" characters that focus on default attacks are extremely viable and come in four general forms:

-Dual Wield Blademaster (Soldier/NB) with the top row of passives in NB except the acid one. This has been the strongest character in most previous versions of the game and scales exceptionally well with good items. At the moment, legendary items are quite weak, making this build less OP, but the next patch should buff most of them. From Soldier you take Mil Con, Oleron and maybe field command/squad tactics. From NB all the DW skills + Pneumatic/Shadow Dance + Anatomy of Murder. You van focus on Physical or Pierce or mix them a bit. Devotions: Oleron and Unknown Soldier.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/QYxHLj
Choose the remaining skills from: Dual Blades (if you focus on Pierce damage), Field Command, Squad Tactics, Decorated Soldier, Shadowstrike, Veil of Shadow+Nights Chill, Markovian's Advantage

-Sword and Board Blademaster with mostly defensives from NB. Very strong right now as shield builds in general are strong. Can run Cadence as its autoattack, or Troll/Beronath like the rest. Same skills from NB as above minus DW skills. You can stop at 32 pts NB with this whereas DW has to go 50 Soldier 50 Nightblade. Devotions: Probably Behemoth and Targos, maybe Tree of Life.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/WJbGAw
Choose the remaining skills from: Oleron's Rage/Menhirs Bulwark (you MUST pick one of these and max it), the Cadence line, Forcewave, Blitz, Field Command, Squad Tactics, Decorated Soldier, Menhirs Will, War Cry+Break Morale,

-Spellbreaker DW (Arcanist/Nightblade). Focuses on dodge for primary defense through Shadow Dance and Maivens. Does Cold/elemental damage. Very passive-heavy with DW from NB and Iskandras+Maivens+the Spirit/OA one in Arcanist. Key strength: Very good itemization atm 50-75, some of the best for any build. Devotions: Whirlpool I think its called. Anything with elemental damage, dodge and OA.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/irNKH1
Choose the remaining skills from: Conversion (1 pt), Merciless Repertoire, Dual Blades, Shadow Strike, Ring of Steel, Veil of Shadow, Nightfall

-2h Warder (Soldier/Shaman). Savagery+passive procs in both trees. Very high HP through double HP passives. Can get high OA+DA too. No great legendary 2hs atm but good green ones are fine. A bit sluggish until you get attack speed/total speed. Uses Savagery for default attack. Devotions: Olerons and Targos probably.
Base build: http://grimcalc.com/build/Dtym9w
Choose the remaining skills from: Tenacity of the Boar, Markovian's Advantage, Zolhan's Technique, Field Command, Squad Tactics, Decorated Soldier, Menhir's Will, Fighting Spirit (1 pt)

All four of these are viable on Ultimate. Stack attackspeed, OA and your primary damage. For defenses stack HP and resists, also dodge for NB/Arcanist.

2H uses Savagery as default attack. Sword and Board (use Mace/Axe, not sword) can use Cadence if maxed with modifiers. Otherwise all use Mistborn Talisman or Shard of Beronath as default attack.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 6, 2016

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Soldier melee AoE with 2-handers is pretty respectable. This is what I would suggest:

1. Blitz
2. Forcewave (cooldown version)
3. Blade Arc (cooldown verison)

You should have access to all of these skills pretty quickly. Use them constantly. Make sure to put a Claw in your 2-hander to get the Slam skill. It's awesome.

Regarding Demolitionist, you can build them with any weapon types. If you're looking to make cool use of their default attack skill line, think about dual wielding pistols paired with heavy investments in Fire Strike, Static Strike, and Brimstone along with the toggle skill Flame Touch. Put Devil Touched Ammo, Flintcore Bolts, Attuned Lodestones or similar components in your guns for added fun times.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I guess I should mention my current build is 2-handers. I get the feeling they may not be viable 'til the late game because 90% of my drops are not them.

Feel free to try crafting a 2-hander from the blacksmith when you have some extra scrap or money (iron bits). If I haven't gotten an upgrade for a while, I just craft a few versions of the piece of gear I want and I usually get something worth using. What you craft scales to your level, so it's a pretty hassle free system. You may get lucky and get a good green item (although you're just crafting a yellow).

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Unless you're crafting a green or blue item with fixed stats, you're generally better off just doing vendor runs for items, particularly weapons. Check Luther Graves in A1 and reset the game until you get a good weapon. For physical damage classes, you generally want Officers or Tyrants as the prefix and Ferocity or Onslaught as the suffix. Any combination of those and you've got a very strong weapon.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
I'm running a trickster that has savagery and all the dualblade proc chances maxed with also maxed phem burst. any tips for devotions and where to go from there?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You'll want Heart of the Wild and Shadow Dance both maxed for Ultimate too, if you haven't.

Are you focusing on physical/pierce or elemental damage? That build can do both to a degree.

If you're doing Physical/Pierce go for Oleron and Unknown Soldier plus the 2 middle points in Targo the Builder.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm running a Shaman/Soldier and I'm interested in the ground pound cone attack. Is it any good if you take the rapid fire skill? So far my reaction has been a resounding no, my single strikes do 50-100+ and then ground slam does 9.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You're gonna have to put skill names on that description I think.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
game is fun and pretty grim. until you start dealing with resists, and resists within resists.

at which point gearing out becomes the most grim thing in the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The biggest drawback to the TQ games is that having a million classes that can all do different stuff means that finding gear to support what you're actually trying to do becomes increasingly difficult, and that you become somewhat locked into having to hold onto suboptimal equipment because it's the only thing you found with your class' unique skillset.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
I have a serious problem with rerolling in this game. My highest character is a 47 conjurer that just beat veteran but I'm bored of it. I dunno if I'll ever be able to stick to a character long enough to reach 85.

Also I worry about my characters being viable endgame but I don't like using other peoples' build guides. I should probably stop doing one of those things if I want to get anywhere.

Erz fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 6, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
After playing the game on normal and not really knowing what veteran was about, I sorta gimped my char by making it into a glass cannon since the game never really warns you about how the enemy damage soars in other difficulties. So I did some steps of torment in veteran (which is a loving slog for me, since I specialized on bleed damage) and I sorta managed to remedy that with a few +55 physique affixes and all the armor I could get. I have a lot more survivability now and lost only 10% dps.

I really like my Demo/Nightblade build though. With falcon swoop assigned to fire strike and 170% attack speed I just poo poo out birds that make everything bleed to death in a single hit. I assigned other devotion skills like assassins mark to other dual wield procs like amarasta's quick cut and it's cruise control, basically.

I think the thing I like the most about the game is the chunkiness of hits, how you can just mow down a pack of skeletons and see bones flying everywhere.

Edit: I'd really like to try this thing multiplayer.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 6, 2016

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
What are some good abilities to look at for 1h/shield? A tanky proc monster seems fun.

I'm tired of kiting everything as Arcanist/Shaman and I already dumped a shitload of points into Spirit so it feels like there's no turning back from casting. I could probably stick it out until I get something more fun than Sky Shards but I want to check out a melee build.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Royal Scrub posted:

What are some good abilities to look at for 1h/shield? A tanky proc monster seems fun.

I'm tired of kiting everything as Arcanist/Shaman and I already dumped a shitload of points into Spirit so it feels like there's no turning back from casting. I could probably stick it out until I get something more fun than Sky Shards but I want to check out a melee build.

Demo/Soldier, pack a pistol and shield with either Fire Strike or Cadence for ranged enemies and take passives/toggles that'll let you stand in place and explode/counter-attack melee dudes. Surprisingly effective.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

What kind of weapons do you go for when you have a caster build? Guns or just ones with good stats as you shouldn't be near the enemies?

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

What kind of weapons do you go for when you have a caster build? Guns or just ones with good stats as you shouldn't be near the enemies?

Generally you just use whatever has the best bonuses for your build if your skills don't have a specific type requirement. For a caster you'll usually use a wand/spellblade and a caster offhand.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The Royal Scrub posted:

Consider going 2-handed instead. Your classes have no synergy with shields and lots with 2-handers. You can get tanky enough through Maivens Sphere and Heart of the Wild and that 50 mastery toggle skill in Shaman with damage absorption, and shield builds that don't have the Soldier tree are wasting SO much potential.

Here's an optimized level 85 build for an elemental damage 2-hand Druid:
http://grimcalc.com/build/cpmOS2

You could move points from Primal Bond to Stormcallers Pact at the end of Shaman if you needed the extra damage more than the survivability.

E: And your points in Spirit aren't wasted since your damage will primarily be elemental, even if you use a physical damage 2-hander, since much if it will be converted anyway.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 6, 2016

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The Mash posted:

Consider going 2-handed instead. Your classes have no synergy with shields and lots with 2-handers. You can get tanky enough through Maivens Sphere and Heart of the Wild and that 50 mastery toggle skill in Shaman with damage absorption, and shield builds that don't have the Soldier tree are wasting SO much potential.

You could move points from Primal Bond to Stormcallers Pact at the end of Shaman if you needed the extra damage more than the survivability.

E: And your points in Spirit aren't wasted since your damage will primarily be elemental, even if you use a physical damage 2-hander, since much if it will be converted anyway.

No wendigo totem? I'm taking a melee (primal strike instead of savagery) shaman through elite right now and even though it's the damage is vitality I've found that even just 4-8 points in wendigo + 1 in it's passive do more to keep me alive than pretty much anything else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a good left-click replacement option for 2H soldiers? They all seem better for DW or shields.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I like the looks of Fire Strike with a big gun with bombs for backup and AoE.

Doing something like that, should I look at Canister Bomb or Grenado for said AoE? And is it likely to work better with Soldier (for physical damage) or Arcanist (for fire damage)? Can a Demo/Arcanist still wear heavy-ish armour?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Mover posted:

No wendigo totem? I'm taking a melee (primal strike instead of savagery) shaman through elite right now and even though it's the damage is vitality I've found that even just 4-8 points in wendigo + 1 in it's passive do more to keep me alive than pretty much anything else.

I have never used totems (Shaman is the newest class and was added in December '15, I've been playing since like October '14) and have no idea how useful they are, so I can't say.

Prism posted:

Doing something like that, should I look at Canister Bomb or Grenado for said AoE? And is it likely to work better with Soldier (for physical damage) or Arcanist (for fire damage)? Can a Demo/Arcanist still wear heavy-ish armour?

Canister Bomb does less damage but has a bigger area of effect and can stun. It does mostly Fire damage. Grenado has more damage but in a smaller area. It does mostly Physical damage.

Try both skills out for which one you prefer, then make the decision based on that and build around it. Yes, it's slightly harder to get enough Physique when you don't have Military Conditioning from Soldier, but you'll still be able to wear what you need to when you pump some points into Physique.

Also, "heavy armor" as a concept is unimportant. Armor is a very useless stat in GD. The difference between a medium chest armor and a heavy one is maybe 500 armor on high levels. That comes out to ~300 flat damage reduction. On ultimate, most mobs hit for 2k+ and many for 4k+. Spending 500 Physique to wear heavier armors for 10% damage reduction to physical melee attacks is a complete Waste.

Here's a list of defensive statistics based on their usefulness in making you not die. Obviously they're all good in theory, but this list is based on current damage formulas and the amount of the different stats actually available in game:

1. %Damage absorption. VERY rare, only available on a couple of skills.
2. Health
3. Dodge (*)
4. Resists (*)
5. Saying a little prayer before you go in
6. Flat damage absorption. From skills/devotion procs typically. Usually comes in too small amounts to be worthwhile.
7. Defensive ability (**)
8. Armor

* = This has no diminishing returns and in the case of dodge no hard cap, which means that each point you can get is better than the last. If you gain 10% ranged dodge to go from 0% to 10%, you've reduced your damage taken by 10%. If you gain 10% to go from 80% to 90%, you've reduced your damage taken by 50%. The same applies for resists. Stacking one of these two types is a very strong form of defense and is one of the reasons why Maivens Sphere + Shadow Dance (Arcanist/Nightblade) is such a strong combo.
** = There are some issues with the current DA formulas that make Defensive Ability quite bad at the moment, at least on Ultimate and, to a degree, Elite. Normally, Defensive Ability is the best stat for reducing regular melee-hit damage from monsters. This has been the case in the entire history of TQ and Grim Dawn. Presumably this will be fixed in the upcoming major balancing patch, at which point DA moves up above Health on the list.

Here's a similar list of offensive statistics. Again, the list looks at what is actually AVAILABLE in the game and how well those available amounts contribute to your total DPS.

1. Attack speed / Cast speed (for skills without cooldowns)
2. Offensive Ability
3. Flat +damage of your chosen type (assuming you are using default attacks or skills with a decent % weapon damage ratio on them)
4. Cooldown reduction if your main damage is a skill with a cooldown. Otherwise ignore.
5. +% damage of your chosen type as well as +% total damage, which are functionally the same thing. (Note that +% total damage is less good than one might assume by the name, it adds on to your +% physical or whatever, it's not a total force multiplier)
6. +Cunning/Spirit depending on whether you do Physical/Pierce/Bleed/Internal Trauma or any of the magic types of damage
7. Flat +damage of a type different from your main damage but within the scaling of the same main stat (cunning/spirit).

Dahbadu, you may wanna put these lists somewhere in the OP. Armor is the craziest newbie trap of an ARPG ever and DA in its current form is close behind it.

The Mash fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 6, 2016

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Prism posted:

Take both, IMO. Canister for mobs and Grenado for elites, but since the game actually models physics, you can use both against anything with good timing and placement. Tight hallways become deathtraps since canister fragments will all land in close proximity with each other, while grenades will gib packs of enemies should they pack together too tightly in a doorway or whatever.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Don't take both. Skillspreading is the worst thing you can do in this game. Pretend you're playing Diablo 2. Max one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

The Mash posted:

I've tried switching to 2H and so far I'm made of paper and Sky Shards still does more damage. Really I was talking about rerolling anyways though, so I'd presumably go Soldier/X.

Looking at Devotion it seems like there are a lot of cool proc abilities, so I was going to try and focus on spamming those. Does only suff that deals % weapon damage work for procs? I'm also not seeing anything class-wise that would let me focus on attack speed. I basically want to build a D2 procadin.

toasterwarrior posted:

Demo/Soldier, pack a pistol and shield with either Fire Strike or Cadence for ranged enemies and take passives/toggles that'll let you stand in place and explode/counter-attack melee dudes. Surprisingly effective.

Thanks for this, currently trying it out.