Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I briefly worked with a dude who wore an Adidas happi jacket to the office every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Good Listener posted:

It might sound lame as heck but do any of y'all know where to maybe look for cheaper sukajan like..maybe a particular Tokyo district? I dunno they look cool and I love the bomber jacket look :nyoron:

A bomber jacket and a sukajan are pretty different; the former leather and have a fleece collar (and are reasonably heavy/warm), whereas a sukajan is more like a windbreaker.

I found a cool, I'm pretty sure authentic WestPac '87 USS Midway one in my size at a recycle shop not far from a US Navy base with harper back when I lived in Kyushu. Still have it!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wear what you want. You might look dumb to other people, but if you are happy with it, who cares.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

A bomber jacket and a sukajan are pretty different; the former leather and have a fleece collar (and are reasonably heavy/warm), whereas a sukajan is more like a windbreaker.

I found a cool, I'm pretty sure authentic WestPac '87 USS Midway one in my size at a recycle shop not far from a US Navy base with harper back when I lived in Kyushu. Still have it!

Bomber jackets have gone through a bunch of different evolutions and the MA-1 isn't so different from a sukajan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sukajan means "Yokosuka jacket" (US military base neighborhood) and they're a variation of bomber/baseball jacket.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Sukajan means "Yokosuka jacket" (US military base neighborhood) and they're a variation of bomber/baseball jacket.

"Yokosuka ジャンパー" if memory serves. and yes, it's the lightweight jackets with embroidery (traditionally the 'tour of duty' style graphics) on the back, not just plain bombers or MA-1s.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Going to hang out in Nagoya for a few days. Seems like some good shopping there, a castle, a few antique shop tours, dinner tour. I see a huge martial arts supply store so I can properly larp as an mma guy with the right shirts. Might be chill if the rain isn't too much.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
There's a pretty neat little retro gaming bar in Nagoya called critical hit run by an American expat. Haven't been there in over 7 years, but it was always nice to visit when I was over there working, if you're into that kinda thing.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I had grand plans of doing an international vacation every two years from age 30 to age 50 and a big list of destinations, but after doing Tokyo last year I kind of just want to do Tokyo again next year. I've got a lot of ideas left over!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Good Listener posted:

It might sound lame as heck but do any of y'all know where to maybe look for cheaper sukajan like..maybe a particular Tokyo district? I dunno they look cool and I love the bomber jacket look :nyoron:

I know there's a shop on one of the floors in Nakano Broadway, but I dont know the prices. Same in one of the backstreets of Harajuku, but since its Harajuku those are probably not going to be cheap.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Appreciate the help! I'm gonna actually check out Shimakitozawa and do some potential thrift store shopping and see if I can find anything there before I try to go looking for a brand new one. I think trip is slowly coming together, though still need to wait til May or June when we can try to get Kirby cafe bookings set up.

I added a stop in Chofu while in Tokyo too cuz seems it has youkai/Gegege no Kitaro related things and I am a sucker for that.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 22, 2024

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Walked past Club Prinny everyday for a week as I walked to and from the Hori-shi's house in Gifu. I think the HQ for the Disgaea company is nearby and they have this cool Prinny themed shop. I didn't dare go in while the Otaku's were doing their thing battling their pokemon cards with each other into the night, but it was neato.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

We're putting together a plan for a few days in Kyushu with a rental car. We want to check out parks in Kagoshima area after an overnight stay and meander our way north. We have a free night before a ryokan stay near Mt Taisen.

Any recommendations on overnight stays in Miyazaki prefecture, maybe along the coast line?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

extravadanza posted:

There's a pretty neat little retro gaming bar in Nagoya called critical hit run by an American expat. Haven't been there in over 7 years, but it was always nice to visit when I was over there working, if you're into that kinda thing.

He said your post was really nice, and gave his love to all the goons. Would be a cool spot to drink a few beers for a comfy atmosphere, before going out into the Nagoya wild to do whatever all those men in the suits who are so drunk they can barely stand up at the crosswalks do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

root of all eval posted:

We're putting together a plan for a few days in Kyushu with a rental car. We want to check out parks in Kagoshima area after an overnight stay and meander our way north. We have a free night before a ryokan stay near Mt Taisen.

Any recommendations on overnight stays in Miyazaki prefecture, maybe along the coast line?

I don't have any recs for acommodation, but this moai park is a neat stop along the coast in Miyazaki. The road that it's on that follows the coast is a recommended scenic drive as well.

Actually, I take that back about not having an acommo rec, have this dinosaur themed love hotel in Oita. My partner and I stayed at it back when we lived in Kyushu; I think only one of the rooms is still dino-themed, but the exterior decor was very Jurassic Park at least.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 23, 2024