Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Lemmi Caution posted:

English teacher chat might better be corralled into this thread.

As far as I know the OP is still relevant.

Thanks for this!

v- Haha, yeah, I was starting to wonder how many Japan threads there are, I think I've come across like 4 of them already, not counting archived threads. Sorry for cluttering this one up with teaching questions!

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There are 3 main Japan threads: Ask/Tell, Travel/Tourism and LAN.
D/D is terrible, don't go there. The Language thread is also terrible.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rich uncle penny bags in the language thread is my homie because he learned high level Japanese to find javs that satisfied his chubby Asian fetish.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Rich uncle penny bags in the language thread is my homie because he learned high level Japanese to find javs that satisfied his chubby Asian fetish.

Is there any reason besides this that people learn foreign languages?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

peanut posted:

There are 3 main Japan threads: Ask/Tell, Travel/Tourism and LAN.
D/D is terrible, don't go there. The Language thread is also terrible.

Eriog and kapalama posts are my fetish, don't kinkshame.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492502
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438030

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I've had conversations with Japanese people about this, and the thing you need to understand is that the forces that keep this imbalance of power in place are somewhat mutual. I've been very struck at times by how willing Japanese women I've met are very content to play a role, and reject me quite harshly for not acting in kind. Japan is a country built on people acting how others expect them to act, and this goes both ways. Japan has a serious case of rape culture, and you're just not going to crack that. Most average Japanese women would be very confused to hear about a sexual encounter that wasn't what we in the west would consider rape.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mr. Fix It posted:

I've had conversations with Japanese people about this, and the thing you need to understand is that the forces that keep this imbalance of power in place are somewhat mutual. I've been very struck at times by how willing Japanese women I've met are very content to play a role, and reject me quite harshly for not acting in kind. Japan is a country built on people acting how others expect them to act, and this goes both ways. Japan has a serious case of rape culture, and you're just not going to crack that. Most average Japanese women would be very confused to hear about a sexual encounter that wasn't what we in the west would consider rape.

What is this?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It makes me kind of angry and sad for a short period of time. Unlike some other people in this thread, I don't have any real roots in Japan. There's nothing that explicitly ties me here right now. So when I see something like that it makes me feel like I should just give up, move back to the US, and get some job translating technical documents.

I try really hard every single day to do what's expected of me, speak Japanese as best I can, be as tolerant as possible, and improve my Japanese as much as I can. Seeing those kinds of portrayals of foreigners makes me feel like it's all useless because it will always be assumed that I'm just like all those stereotypes. It makes me feel like there's nothing I'll ever be able to do that will validate my existence in Japanese society beyond being the foreigner novelty sideshow.

I know that this isn't a problem unique to Japan, and I know I'm not the only person to have ever experienced racism. When I see those things though, feelings like that come up in a very direct way. It's one thing to understand those feelings exist, and it's another to actually feel them.

The thing that usually pulls me back from that ledge is that I do have a bunch of Japanese people around me that have gotten to know me well enough that I know they don't see me in that stereotypical way. On a micro level, with the friends and acquaintances I have, it is actually easy to forget in my daily life that Japan can be like that. Those kinds of attitudes that people are talking about being on full display in media is a constant reminder of what the average Japanese person probably thinks when they see me on the train or at the supermarket. It's disheartening.

It's not like I lose sleep over it or worry about it a ton, though. The feeling tends to pass pretty quickly. Overall, I really do enjoy my life in Japan.

So to answer your question, the thing that bothers me when those sorts of things pop up is that it makes me regret the work I've put toward being fluent in Japanese and living in Japan. It's like, after all I've accomplished, this is the kind of bullshit it comes down to.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Coco Ichi is gross.

LyonsLions posted:

So to answer your question, the thing that bothers me when those sorts of things pop up is that it makes me regret the work I've put toward being fluent in Japanese and living in Japan. It's like, after all I've accomplished, this is the kind of bullshit it comes down to.

Good post. This is exactly why I got out, I found it really disheartening.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
These are some things you may or may not be able to see if you visit Japan depending on when and where you go.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Japan: Rimming Manifest Destiny

You know the tale.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kawaii pics arigato

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Maybe I've missed some YouTube video or post but I can't really find what "I've had conversations with Japanese people about this" is referring to.

LyonsLions posted:

What bullshit?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Eriog and kaplama's post histories.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Anyone have any recommendations for good/cheap places to stay in Tokyo and Kyoto (about one week each, travelling alone).

What about airbnb? I keep agonizing over hotels but there seems to be some nice and relatively cheap hosts on airbnb, and I like that it's a bit more down to earth. I've been looking at some hostels too but I would like a private room if possible.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Whats your price range and time frame?

AirBNB is ok subject to all of usual risks when using them. Many locations are also kind of out of the way.
Business hotels are also very good, both in Tokyo and Kyoto. These are between 40-80 dollars for a night.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hostels have private rooms too. And the shared lounge should take the edge off travelling alone.
In Kyoto I've stayed at K's house and Rakuza, and I wanted to stay at JAM but they were booked up.
Tokyo I've stayed at Kita Shinagawa. It was basic but v easy to get to.

You could stay at Toyoko Inn the whole time but it's not very... cultural.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Max price for me is probably around $80 and I found some hotels that seemed nice enough but since I'm travelling by myself I was leaning towards a hostel/airbnb for a chance to meet some new people.

I've looked briefly at K's house, seems OK... Kita Shinagawa appears to be a street though??

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Never been there myself but this place looks super hipster (double word score because it's in TOKYO JAPAN)
http://backpackersjapan.co.jp/nui_en/

If you plan on spending heaps of time in Shibuya/xjuku probably not very convenient though.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

Never been there myself but this place looks super hipster (double word score because it's in TOKYO JAPAN)
http://backpackersjapan.co.jp/nui_en/

If you plan on spending heaps of time in Shibuya/xjuku probably not very convenient though.

That looks so hipster it hurts.

Rakuza seems kinda nice but they don't accept reservations this far in advance (have to wait a couple of weeks). Maybe I'll live hotel life in Tokyo and hostell life in Kyoto. Should probably decide pretty soon though because rooms are disappearing in front of my eyes

Kralos
Feb 23, 2004

馬鹿外人 lol
I've used Airbnb a couple times in Japan with no problems, and am planning on booking a few places for traveling there this spring.

For hostels, there's this in Tokyo place which is pretty new too http://bunkahostel.jp/ and in Kyoto -if you're not claustrophobic- 9 hours capsule hotel was pretty nice. I only went there at night to sleep and was out all day so it was perfect, since it's half a block away from Kawaramachi, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. https://ninehours.co.jp/en/kyoto/

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'm a fan of Khaosan's hostels; I stayed in their Kyoto one and a now-closed one in Tokyo. I'm told these two locations (both in Asakusa) are good: World and Lab.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I actually went ahead and booked a hotel in Asakusa which seemed decent and relatively cheap; still aiming for a hostell (probably Rakuza at this point) in Kyoto so I'll get some different experiences.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mmm dirty Tokyo snow rain combines.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Hoping anyone has any recommendations, my wife and I have been to Japan once before for a few weeks and stayed around Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. This time we are going for three weeks and were thinking of visiting Kanazawa, Kobe, Nara and then down to Hiroshima and with some time in Tokyo again near the end. We are going in March so I know it'll be cold and wet but that's fine, any recommendations of places to visit would be much appreciated.

We kind of just want to eat lots of good food and chill out for most of it, old towns, temples and nature. Would be nice to stay in some Ryokans and visit some onsens as well, I was thinking Shirahone Onsen and doing some hiking around Nagano could be fun but I'm not sure how suitable the weather will be in March. Both of us really enjoy drinking heavily and doing some karaoke too, does anyone know of any small public karaoke places in Tokyo? It's not really the same with only the two of us.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Forums user turdbucket, it may please you to hear that sumo is in Osaka in March.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

peanut posted:

Forums user turdbucket, it may please you to hear that sumo is in Osaka in March.

That's the best news I've heard all week!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've always rented pocket wifi's whenever I went to Japan but this time around I want to rent a unlimited data only SIM card.

I found two sites and both are priced very differently:

1) cd Japan - http://rental.cdjapan.co.jp/index_en_jpy_10.html - 14 day unlimited data only nano SIM card rental for 2900 YEN. (Return required) (110MB daily - slow data after)
2) eConnect - https://www.econnectjapan.com/products/sim/5gb - 5GB data only nano SIM card rental for 7480 YEN. (No need to return)
3) Japan Wireless - http://japan-wireless.com/order.html - 6GB data only nano SIM card rental for 4000 YEN. (200MB daily)

Why is there such a huge discrepancy between my three options? It seems that the first option for 14 day unlimited data is the best but I'm wondering why it is so cheap? Has anyone here used any of the above options before?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just use bmobile. All of those sites look awful.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

Just use bmobile. All of those sites look awful.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/product.html - wow that's pretty cheap. Only 2,204yen (excluding tax) - that's the cheapest out of all the above three options for 14 days unlimited data.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

I've used Japan wireless twice before, so I can vouch for them being legit.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Another hand up for Japan Wireless - cheap and easy.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
e: forget it, we solved the problem.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 21, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Will be traveling in Japan during late March - early April. Planning on buying the JR Pass and trying to figure out where to go. I speak Japanese and considering visiting my friends in Sapporo. I know the new shinkansen line up to Hokkaido is supposed to open on March 26th so I am planning on taking that. However, will it still be cold and not worth it to visit around that time? Should I just go to Kyushu instead?

Also, is it possible to go to Russia (Sakhalin Island) from Hokkaido around that time? I can't find any solid information online but it seems like during that time it's not possible?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 22, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I would think that the new shinkansen line would be excluded from the JR Pass seeing how you can't even hop on the Nozumi.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

I would think that the new shinkansen line would be excluded from the JR Pass seeing how you can't even hop on the Nozumi.

Good point - However, I just found this http://www.japanrailpass.net/new_year/JRP_hokkaido_eng_1225.pdf

"Your pass is valid for travel on the newly opened Hokkaido Shinkansen (between Shin-Aomori and Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto).However, the pass is not valid for travel in Gran Class cars."

Hmmm, I wonder if it will be sold out for the first few days......

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

Also, is it possible to go to Russia (Sakhalin Island) from Hokkaido around that time? I can't find any solid information online but it seems like during that time it's not possible?

Seems like there are daily flights to and from Sapporo to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, RU - Khomutovo (UUS)
http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlight.do?id=660166481&airline=HZ&flightNumber=6894&departureDate=2016-01-23

However, I can't find any information on how I am eligible to book that flight online.... seems like such a small and insignificant flight path that maybe online reservations are not possible.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Phone posted:

Not all Nozomi-equivalent class cars are banned on the Shinkansen lines. Just all of the really main ones.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Russian visas are also a bitch to apply for. I'd say Sakhalin isn't worth the effort unless you have family there.
You should definitely visit friends in Hokkaido.

You're traveling during Spring Break so start booking hotels soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

Russian visas are also a bitch to apply for. I'd say Sakhalin isn't worth the effort unless you have family there.
You should definitely visit friends in Hokkaido.

You're traveling during Spring Break so start booking hotels soon.

It's Spring Break for all students that week?

And even with a Japanese passport would getting a visa be tough?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 23, 2016