Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

All students. And university students are moving in/out.
Russian visas are cheaper with a Japanese passport but you still need to apply in advance. Sakhalin and the Kurils might have some exemptions because of the history of mixed colonization, but the only people I know who've been there were born there :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I remember seeing the flight to Yuzho Sakhalinsk from Tokyo on skyscanner, it's surprisingly cheap, I think it had a stopover in Vladivostok though, so maybe the final leg is done with some cheap, terrifying domestic airliner.

I'd love to check out Sakhalin one day. I like rear end end of the world type of places like that.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hello Japan thread I have simple questions this time around for my trip in late March.

What's the best/cheapest way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto? Last time I visited Japan I stuck to Tokyo only so I'd like to visit Kyoto for a few days this time as well this time.

Also if you guys have any onsen ryokan recommendations in either Tokyo or Kyoto I'm all ears, especially those that are for couples.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Look into the JR pass. You can use it on all of the JR lines including most of the shinkansen ones.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
JR Pass isn't worth it if you only do a one-way from Tokyo to Kyoto. For a roundtrip, try: http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/?aff=EXJ . JR Pass may be worth it if you take the Shinkansen line even further.

Tokyo and Kyoto city proper aren't really thermal areas with onsen directly in them. For Onsen around Tokyo, look at: Hakone Onsen, Kinugawa Onsen, Kusatsu Onsen, Nasu Onsen, Ito Onsen Atami Onsen as possibilities. For the latter, consider Arima Onsen, Kinosaki onsen. There are also a couple of others right outside Kyoto like Kurama onsen as well.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks for those recommendations!

It looks like the deal site is for a one way trip so buying the round trip would probably come out more than the JR Pass?

e: After some thinking I think the JR Pass is worth it in order to expand where I visit for the time I'm there (about 2 weeks) so thanks for that recommendation.

net work error fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 23, 2016

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Oops wrong thread.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

net work error posted:

Hello Japan thread I have simple questions this time around for my trip in late March.

What's the best/cheapest way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto? Last time I visited Japan I stuck to Tokyo only so I'd like to visit Kyoto for a few days this time as well this time.

Also if you guys have any onsen ryokan recommendations in either Tokyo or Kyoto I'm all ears, especially those that are for couples.

No one is recommending the overnight bus then I guess. If you don't have a JR pass that's the cheapest way, other than hitch-hiking, which I only know of one person from here has done.

Hope you are one of the people who can sleep on a bus in that case if you go with that option.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Technically the cheapest is the seishun 18, but I don't think anyone wants to be in a train for 9 hours

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Those options are new to me but yeah probably not the best.

Anyone ever gone to Hashima Island and used one of the ferry companies to visit it? Since I'll be getting a JR Pass most likely I'm expanding my list of things to see.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

net work error posted:

Those options are new to me but yeah probably not the best.

Anyone ever gone to Hashima Island and used one of the ferry companies to visit it? Since I'll be getting a JR Pass most likely I'm expanding my list of things to see.

Please elaborate on Hashima I've never heard of it tbh

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

peanut posted:

Please elaborate on Hashima I've never heard of it tbh

The wiki page can probably explain it better than I can but it's an old abandoned island that used to be used for mining. They have ferry tours around it and I guess you can actually go onto the island now and take pictures of cool abandoned buildings and that sort of thing. All very spooky :ghost:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ohhhhhh Gunkanjima

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
So any hope of finding tickets to Ghibli in late march? Didn't think it would be sold out so early but according to this it is:

http://online.jtbusa.com/Services/GhibliMuseum.aspx

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

As far as I am aware, in-country purchases (made exclusively at Lawson convenient stores, as opposed to international purchases which can be done online) only open on the 10th of the preceding month. I think the idea is to let tourists grab tickets when planning their trip, without screwing over people actually living in Japan or being booked out for months in advance.

So if you have a contact in Japan or will be there yourself around February 10th you should have no problem getting tickets for late March.

edit for clarity: There are two separate pools of tickets, so the foreign purchasable tourist ones can be totally sold out while in-country tickets still have availability.

z0glin Warchief fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 25, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, Y'all. I work for a company that finds employees for Japanese manufacturers in the US Midwest. My company was just asked to look for a candidate for a sales position located in Japan.

Our client wants someone with high-conversational Japanese (Think: can function using Japanese for work) who is currently in Japan. It's an entry level sales position with a company in the automotive industry. No specific experience is required but you will need to be convincing when you say you've always dreamed of being a sales rep in manufacturing. The position will transition to Indianapolis after a year of learning/working in a small city an hour outside Tokyo. If you're in Japan to teach and want to be in Japan to do something else this seems like a good route to this former English teacher.

We still need to figure some things out with our client so we're not actively looking yet. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you our info.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

z0glin Warchief posted:

As far as I am aware, in-country purchases (made exclusively at Lawson convenient stores, as opposed to international purchases which can be done online) only open on the 10th of the preceding month. I think the idea is to let tourists grab tickets when planning their trip, without screwing over people actually living in Japan or being booked out for months in advance.

So if you have a contact in Japan or will be there yourself around February 10th you should have no problem getting tickets for late March.

edit for clarity: There are two separate pools of tickets, so the foreign purchasable tourist ones can be totally sold out while in-country tickets still have availability.

Ah sweet. I'll check back around then and see if any kind soul in the thread wants to hook me up. I would reward you in any non-goony way they see fit of course. Or in a goony way hell it's the ghibli museum!!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Eifert Posting posted:

Hey, Y'all. I work for a company that finds employees for Japanese manufacturers in the US Midwest. My company was just asked to look for a candidate for a sales position located in Japan.

Our client wants someone with high-conversational Japanese (Think: can function using Japanese for work) who is currently in Japan. It's an entry level sales position with a company in the automotive industry. No specific experience is required but you will need to be convincing when you say you've always dreamed of being a sales rep in manufacturing. The position will transition to Indianapolis after a year of learning/working in a small city an hour outside Tokyo. If you're in Japan to teach and want to be in Indianapolis to do something else this seems like a good route to this former English teacher.

ftfy

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing. If you want to live in Tochigi for a year then move to flyover country it sounds like it could be a decent position.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
A lot of people, myself included, had or will have a hard time transitioning from teaching to something else. If it's not for you that's fine.

If someone's not looking to be out of Japan in a year the position's not for them. Indianapolis isn't California, but it is the final destination and is better than a lot of other options where manufacturing jobs tend to be. I'd probably still be in Korea if it had been entirely my decision; you don't have to tell me why you'd prefer Japan.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
I'll be in Tokyo next week for 5 days and I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

I need to pick up a mobile wifi unit and the rechargable transit card from the airport. Am I missing anything that would be good to pick up at Narita?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Keep staring at your phone and you'll miss everything.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hello friends, I need a little help planning my trip as far as how many days to spend in each place. I'll be there for two weeks and so far on my agenda is Kyoto, Osaka, Gunkanjima so I guess Nagasaki, and Tokyo. I remember in the previous thread people mentioning that Osaka is only worth staying at for like two days or so max, is that still the case? I'm going to have a JR pass so I'm open to traveling more places as well.

So far I'm thinking 3 days in Kyoto, 2 days in Osaka, 1 in Nagasaki and the rest in Tokyo and surrounding areas. Does that make sense at all?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed Nagasaki, but it's not exactly close enough to any of the other cities you're going to to make it worth it, especially if it's just for a day. It's about a 5 hour trainride from Osaka.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Replace Osaka with Hiroshima.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

peanut posted:

Replace Osaka with Hiroshima.

Why? I could always add it to my itinerary.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Osaka is great your 2nd or 3rd time to Japan but it sounds like your first. There's too much other cool stuff near and around that for many people it makes sense to put it on the backburner. Just head to Dotonbori for an evening or two and you should be good.

Ive done stuff in Hiroshima and Osaka as well and I also confirm you should do Hiroshima over Osaka.

PS Ned is supposed to come here and tell you to go to Fukuoka (especially if you try to add Nagasaki)

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 28, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Come visit scenic Akita. Nestled in the Tohoku region of the barren North, we boast the highest rates of alcoholism and suicide, as well as being the prefecture with the highest average age. Let's enjoy!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Come visit scenic Akita. Nestled in the Tohoku region of the barren North, we boast the highest rates of alcoholism and suicide, as well as being the prefecture with the highest average age. Let's enjoy!

Are there lots of Akita breed dogs there?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kochi would like to challenge those claims

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Tequila Sunrise posted:

And some of the best hot springs. And great sake and rice. I'm stopping by Oga/Akita on my way next October, but sorry gonna spend more time in Yamagata and Aomori instead :(.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I'm not sure if Gunkanjima is worth such a trip, it looks cool but I've heard the tours there are so restricted and short that it's probably not worth traveling to the other side of Japan just to visit it. You'd probably be better off just doing some urbex on your own.

MrZodiac
Jul 19, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
I'm traveling to Japan in May/June on business and I'll be able to schedule some vacation time afterwards. Does anyone know of a good tattoo artist, preferably in/around Tokyo? I'm looking for an artist who uses modern equipment but is good at the traditional Japanese style.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Don't forget to go to an onsen to show off your new ink

MrZodiac
Jul 19, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Soricidus posted:

Don't forget to go to an onsen to show off your new ink

Gosh golly I sure do love being denied service in other countries, maybe I'll find a hostess bar and try to make some new Yakuza friends with my anime backpiece

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

ntan1 posted:

Osaka is great your 2nd or 3rd time to Japan but it sounds like your first. There's too much other cool stuff near and around that for many people it makes sense to put it on the backburner. Just head to Dotonbori for an evening or two and you should be good.

Ive done stuff in Hiroshima and Osaka as well and I also confirm you should do Hiroshima over Osaka.

I was in Osaka for two days last year, and the only notable thing I remember was vomiting undercooked takoyaki into the road.

I also recommend Hiroshima over Osaka. You can use Kyoto as a base for exploring all the other stuff in the Kansai region anyways. Hiroshima is a good central hub which you can check out Fukuoka and Matsuyama from. I also went to Naoshima as a day trip from Hiroshima, but it's kind of a long train ride to get there and back. Don't regret it though, Naoshima is really cool.

Kralos
Feb 23, 2004

馬鹿外人 lol

MrZodiac posted:

I'm traveling to Japan in May/June on business and I'll be able to schedule some vacation time afterwards. Does anyone know of a good tattoo artist, preferably in/around Tokyo? I'm looking for an artist who uses modern equipment but is good at the traditional Japanese style.

I had a Daruma done with tebori by this guy, he spoke english just fine (the tattoo was actually done in Mexico, he was here for an expo) http://xxxakilla1.blogspot.com/

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Decided to go to ageha on sat night and it turns out there was a kyari pamyu pamyu concert on there. Definitely an interesting night.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cross posting from the languages thread because those guys are useless for this:

I am trying to find a song that has a guy that is older, like (it even may be or related to) Mr. Children, where the guy is walking with a guitar and singing a song, can't remember how it goes but it was really good, and it was on a bridge. The video had a lot of gray and blue overtones, the ending was pretty cool, goes like "nah nah, uhhh huhhhhhhhhh" and he remains emotionless the entire time. It was kinda cloudy, and again, like some of it was ona bridge or on a beach or something...i remember a lot of water and cityscape/skylines. I think the guy was wearing denim, had glasses on, and had longer hair, like shoulder length, which I guess is long for a Japanese guy. Can you guys help me find this music video and thus the song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That sounds like every karaoke video ever but maybe it's Quruli?