Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
not sure if I'm allowed to link to reddit but these guys might be better suited to your extremely vague request

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

not sure if I'm allowed to link to reddit but these guys might be better suited to your extremely vague request

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue

くぉーと・ふぉあ・万

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Cross posting from the languages thread because those guys are useless for this:

I am trying to find a song that has a guy that is older, like (it even may be or related to) Mr. Children, where the guy is walking with a guitar and singing a song, can't remember how it goes but it was really good, and it was on a bridge. The video had a lot of gray and blue overtones, the ending was pretty cool, goes like "nah nah, uhhh huhhhhhhhhh" and he remains emotionless the entire time. It was kinda cloudy, and again, like some of it was ona bridge or on a beach or something...i remember a lot of water and cityscape/skylines. I think the guy was wearing denim, had glasses on, and had longer hair, like shoulder length, which I guess is long for a Japanese guy. Can you guys help me find this music video and thus the song?

I don't really have much experience with older guys (since I'm relatively young myself), but perhaps I recommend that you drop by either Kabukicho or Roppongi in Tokyo. In particular, there's a lot of places near the latter (Azabu Juban/Roppongi Hills) that offer very refined restaurants for businessmen, so I think you would probably find a lot of people in their 30s-40s who are relatively successful there.

Unfortunately for you, I'd say that from my travels with Japan, the entirely of the country has a mix between gray and blue overtones. The weather changes pretty rapidly, so sometimes it's rather bright and sunny outside, and other days it could be very gray and rain a lot. You can go to Atami for a beach, whereas any large city would give you pretty good skylines. Of course, Tokyo is the best at the latter.

If you're looking for music or clubs with music. I'd recommend Shibuya, although others here may have better travel suggestions in Japan.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Early 90's music video with a man diving through a wedding cake and a guitar solo in the desert, you say?

Well, I may not know a lot, but there are definitely a few bakeries around town, some of which I'm sure have been around since the early 90's probably, and cake is a type of dessert, which is like desert! Hope this helps.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm going to Japan for a trip with my wife. Arriving 17 March and leaving April 6. I have been to Japan before about 3 years ago for a couple weeks so I am a little familiar with the place. Mainly there for Cherry Blossom season, but would also like to visit Pokemon/Studio Ghibli stuff. Thinking of doing the following:

Tokyo - 7 nights
Hiroshima - 3 nights
Osaka - 4 nights
Kyoto - 2 nights
Yokosuka - 2 nights (have a friend that lives there)

I've visited these places before but didn't spend much time in Tokyo last time. This leaves like 3 nights for us to go elsewhere. Any suggestions on where to go for the other 3 nights? I'm pretty flexible, would be nice to go into the mountains for hot springs, or maybe up north or Okinawa or something? Is there any snow around at this time of year up north? I'm booking and planning everything myself, not on a tour.

EDIT: Have pretty much decided on adding Sapporo/Niseko as the 3 nights at the very start of the trip, for a bit of snow fun. Still, any suggestions? Am I staying in any places too long?

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 5, 2016

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Does your Hiroshima time include Miyajima island? 3 nights might be too long. I stayed 2 and it was fine.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Radiohead71 posted:

Does your Hiroshima time include Miyajima island? 3 nights might be too long. I stayed 2 and it was fine.

Yeah, I was planning a day trip to Miyajima during my stay there. Also, this looked interesting: http://visithiroshima.net/plan_your_trip/tour_plans/sandankyo.html. So I was thinking 1 day for the bomb memorial, 1 day for Miyajima, 1 day for Sandankyo gorge

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Alright guys, my wife and I are also taking a trip to Tokyo and will be there for 7 days.

I've been researching buying katanas and it sounds like its going to be pretty impossible. We live in Abu Dhabi so the plan was to drop at least a grand on a legit (sharp) sword and send it to my mothers in Georgia.

Do any of you guys have experiences relating to the purchase of a legit katana?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Here's another question this time on Fukuoka! Instead of going straight from Hiroshima to Nagasaki, we figure we'll take a stop somewhere else along the way since there won't be any Gunkanjima ferries the days we were planning out.

Anyways, how many days/nights would be worthwhile in Fukuoka? One day/night is what I was thinking then going over to Nagasaki the next day for the ferry. I know there are some goons in Fukuoka right?

E:
Here's another question, anyone gone to Tashirojima? I would like to see the cats.

net work error fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 7, 2016

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

Yeah, I was planning a day trip to Miyajima during my stay there. Also, this looked interesting: http://visithiroshima.net/plan_your_trip/tour_plans/sandankyo.html. So I was thinking 1 day for the bomb memorial, 1 day for Miyajima, 1 day for Sandankyo gorge

That sounds good. I loved Hiroshima. The people were very friendly. Note, if you get a JR pass, you can use the red site seeing bus.

http://www.hiroshima-navi.or.jp/en/news/2014/07/372756.php

I stayed at the Sheraton Hiroshima and it was excellent

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298561-d2024066-Reviews-Sheraton_Hotel_Hiroshima-Hiroshima_Hiroshima_Prefecture_Chugoku.html

It's right next to the JR station. You can catch the red site seeing bus at street level. There is a huge cab stand outside hotel if you need one.

If you want to get okonomiyaki try nagataya which is really close to the bomb dome

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298561-d3417825-Reviews-Nagataya-Hiroshima_Hiroshima_Prefecture_Chugoku.html

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 8, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can get touristy katana at the Sensoji souvenir market, or get some fancy cooking knives made by real sword smiths that will actually be useful (and easier to carry home.)

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

net work error posted:

Here's another question this time on Fukuoka! Instead of going straight from Hiroshima to Nagasaki, we figure we'll take a stop somewhere else along the way since there won't be any Gunkanjima ferries the days we were planning out.

Anyways, how many days/nights would be worthwhile in Fukuoka? One day/night is what I was thinking then going over to Nagasaki the next day for the ferry. I know there are some goons in Fukuoka right?

E:
Here's another question, anyone gone to Tashirojima? I would like to see the cats.

Depends on the day of the week but you can enjoy Fukuoka for eating/drinking and the people. If you want to do sightseeing there isn't a lot but I can show you around if I am town when you are visiting. It is probably worth stopping by if you are heading from Hiroshima to Nagasaki because Fukuoka is a bit more positive and metropolitan and lively.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

davey4283 posted:

Alright guys, my wife and I are also taking a trip to Tokyo and will be there for 7 days.

I've been researching buying katanas and it sounds like its going to be pretty impossible. We live in Abu Dhabi so the plan was to drop at least a grand on a legit (sharp) sword and send it to my mothers in Georgia.

Do any of you guys have experiences relating to the purchase of a legit katana?

Georgia the state or Georgia the country?

If it's the state you'll be better off looking for one on eBay, lots of swords were brought over after the war, and there's some pretty decent new swords being made in the US.
Eg, http://www.mvforge.com

If you're dead set on buying one in Japan, this is where people from my iaido dojo bought swords:
http://www.toukenhataya.jp/goods/sword/sword.html

You can see the prices. Also you're going to need someone who speaks Japanese well. Most of his swords are older I believe and would therefore probably be classified as national treasures and illegal to export. You also need a license to even carry one, and a locking bag to carry it in. It's possible you could get him to ship it straight from the store, but I really have no idea about that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

You can get touristy katana at the Sensoji souvenir market, or get some fancy cooking knives made by real sword smiths that will actually be useful (and easier to carry home.)

For cooking knives I've got a chef's knife from here:
http://www.mtckitchen.com/c-3-tsukiji-masamoto.aspx
They've got a shop in Tsukiji and the prices there are less than half what they are on that site.

If you're down with a non-sharp sword (iaito), this guy carries some very nice ones:
https://www.seidoshop.com/collections/minosaka-iaito

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
My cousin and her dad (60+) are coming to visit in the summer and she'd like to know which tour groups are the best for Japan travel. Can anyone recommend?

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
So is anyone in Tokyo willing to pick me up two Ghibli tickets and mail them to me? I'll paypal in advance and throw in a extra $20 so you can grab a meal or some beers on me. I was told they go on sale the 10th day of the previous month and can be bought at Lawson's. We'll be in Tokyo in late march.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Radiohead71 posted:

That sounds good. I loved Hiroshima. The people were very friendly. Note, if you get a JR pass, you can use the red site seeing bus.

http://www.hiroshima-navi.or.jp/en/news/2014/07/372756.php

I stayed at the Sheraton Hiroshima and it was excellent

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298561-d2024066-Reviews-Sheraton_Hotel_Hiroshima-Hiroshima_Hiroshima_Prefecture_Chugoku.html

It's right next to the JR station. You can catch the red site seeing bus at street level. There is a huge cab stand outside hotel if you need one.

If you want to get okonomiyaki try nagataya which is really close to the bomb dome

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298561-d3417825-Reviews-Nagataya-Hiroshima_Hiroshima_Prefecture_Chugoku.html

Hey, cheers for the tips!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

kinmik posted:

My cousin and her dad (60+) are coming to visit in the summer and she'd like to know which tour groups are the best for Japan travel. Can anyone recommend?

My parents did their own thing plus some day trips booked at the jr travel office in most major stations.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yeah I was forced on a multi day tour in Japan when i was a kid and hated it. My parents feel the same way and regretted hiring a tour.

Day trips with tours are ok, however.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Thanks, I'll pass the word on!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Any Mt. Fuji tips? I was thinking of maybe spending a day or two near there. Not sure what the area is like in regards to tourism.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Why do Japanese movies almost never have Japanese subtitles? Does Japan hate deaf people and Japanese as a second language learners?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Movies marketed to kids will often only have a dub release in average theaters. Likewise, 3D doesn't do subtitles well.

And people are nearsighted and illiterate :shrug:

Oh you mean like on a dvd? I've never seen a major release without subtitles, but I can imagine comedy tv dvds without it.
Yes, deaf are poors and not a part of the market

peanut fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 11, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chomskyan posted:

Why do Japanese movies almost never have Japanese subtitles? Does Japan hate deaf people and Japanese as a second language learners?

Fan subs to add Japanese subtitles to movies.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Chomskyan posted:

Are you referring to movie theaters or DVDs? I can't say I've ever seen a movie theater in the US that played subtitled movies. Deaf people have to request some sort of assistive tech to go with it.

Phone posted:

Fan subs to add Japanese subtitles to movies.

I did this once for Frozen and the Japanese subs and dub were different. I gave up pretty quickly on the idea of watching them together.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 11, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I did this once for Frozen and the Japanese subs and dub were different. I gave up pretty quickly on the idea of watching them together.

I don't remember the name, but I saw this in another movie to and find that amazing. I assume different companies were contracted out for the work, but it was crazy to see different translations of the same movie at the same time. I'm surprised the studios don't care about making it consistent.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Aredna posted:

I don't remember the name, but I saw this in another movie to and find that amazing. I assume different companies were contracted out for the work, but it was crazy to see different translations of the same movie at the same time. I'm surprised the studios don't care about making it consistent.

That happens with pretty much all dubs and subs: usually the subtitles are a translation of what's said and the dub is a minor rewrite taking culture and mouth movements into account. This is true for stuff dubbed/subtitled into English from foreign languages as well.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Also the basic rules for subbing and dubbing are fundamentally different, since (most) people read much more slowly than they can listen, so you really have to shorten things up for subtitles. If you just printed the script for the dub at the bottom of the screen it'd simply be hard for people to keep up.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

That makes sense! Thanks, I never really thought about it before.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
That makes sense, but doesn't closed caption in English have everything? Why would Japanese be different for people not being able to read as fast?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Aredna posted:

That makes sense, but doesn't closed caption in English have everything? Why would Japanese be different for people not being able to read as fast?

I've seen discs with two sets of subtitles in a given language: one that's CC for the dub and one that's normal subtitles for the movie's native language. I think Chomskyan is complaining about the complete lack of subtitles for a non-dubbed movie and you and Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. might be talking about discs that don't have CC subtitles. Both lame situations, I agree.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Giant Ethicist posted:

(most) people read much more slowly than they can listen

You're underestimating people. In English, the average reading speed is something like 250wpm, while speech starts to sound fast above about 150.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

Aredna posted:

I watch a lot of English-language TV and movies with English subs on. Mr. Fix It is right, they are different from CC. Sometimes subs are verbatim, sometimes it's cleaned up to be more concise. It can be arbitrary due to different transcription companies' rules, but there are situations where it makes sense.

For example, there's only so much text you're allowed to cram onto the screen at any given time. Depending on the pace of the show, if someone is being long-winded, you could have the scene move on before you're done reading the speech. I haven't seen that come up too often, but it does happen.

In my experience, CC tends to ignore pacing to include everything so captions can get laggy at times.

As an aside, afaik Japanese people can read Japanese faster than native English speakers can read English. It's easier to digest quickly due to sentences being broken up into hiragana, katakana, and kanji.

Mr. Fix It posted:

I've seen discs with two sets of subtitles in a given language: one that's CC for the dub and one that's normal subtitles for the movie's native language. I think Chomskyan is complaining about the complete lack of subtitles for a non-dubbed movie and you and Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. might be talking about discs that don't have CC subtitles. Both lame situations, I agree.

I'm still curious to hear what movies Chomskyan found that didn't have any subs. That's pretty standard nowadays, isn't it?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Soricidus posted:

You're underestimating people. In English, the average reading speed is something like 250wpm, while speech starts to sound fast above about 150.

All I know about the topic is what Donald Richie told me, heh. (There's an essay on the topic in Partial Views.) He does sort of gripe that the limits on subtitles are probably stricter than necessary, but "beats per subtitle" is apparently pretty limited, and a subtitler would need good reason to do above the guidelines.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Chomskyan posted:

You're spoiled by countries where captioning is mandated in some fashion by the law. It's certainly not mandated for everything in the US, but most media companies end up shelling out to do it at some point since they imagine their content will be used in a situation where compliance is mandated. There is no similar requirement in Japan so it's very common for things like TV show DVD's to not have closed-captioning. This is especially true for any content aimed at children. The idea is that the target market can't read so there's no reason to provide captioning.

It's pretty silly for the television content since it IS captioned when it goes out to broadcast on TV, but they just don't bother putting that on the DVD releases.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I sometimes watch a talk show about disabilities, and they subtitle the host with cerebral palsy who has some pronunciation difficulty, but not everyone else, unless a guest is using sign language because ???

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm going to Japan for the 2nd time in April, and we're going to rent a car for the Fuji Five Lakes area and a trip towards Nagano. We're going to be in Tokyo in the beginning and the end of the vacation, but I obviously don't want to drive a car inside the city. What would be a good place to pick up a rental car for the first leg towards Fuji?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Was talking with my coworkers today about how poo poo it is that deadpool is delayed here and now a couple of us are flying to Taiwan to see it lol.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Hello All. I will be visiting Japan for ~2 weeks march 13-25. Specifically, I will be staying in Kariya (Aichi Prefecture) for business. This will be my second visit, and I'm looking for some things to do and place to eat in Nagoya. My previous visit was December of 2012, in which I visited Nagoya Castle, Atsuta Shrine and the outdoor shopping center called Osu Kannon.

A little bit about me... I'm an Engineer, I don't know Japanese beyond 'hello' 'thanks' etc., I like to drink, but I don't much care about partying, I like fancy food and would like to try new stuff.

I'll have the weekend of the 19th to do whatever I want, probably staying in Nagoya. -- so although my stay is long, I only really have 2 days to do anything fun.

My questions!

1) Any recommendations on food or stuff to do in Nagoya that I haven't done yet? Or even Kariya for that matter (seemed like a small town with no tourism, so probably not)... The Castle was under heavy construction when I visited in 2012, so maybe it's worth seeing now that it's complete? I'm not sure.

2) Wifi rentals- are there recommended services? I found this place with a quick google search and they say they can ship it to my hotel, which seems nice. https://www.rentalwifi.com/

3) It sounds like I will miss out on the Cherry Blossoms, will I see any bloom before I leave on the 25th?

Thanks for your time reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You'll probably miss out on the cherry blossoms, I was there last year until the 31st and nothin' was popping.

For Nagoya, I have a buddy who has a video game bar right outside of Fushimi that's p chill, it's called Critical Hit. Good drinks, nice place. There's the Toyota Technology Museum and there's the Toyota Auto Museum if you're into engineering stuff, I'm hitting up the tech museum when I go (I'm going March 25 - April 5) since I skipped it last year, but the auto museum had a really, really cool post-war exhibit in the next building. Their collection is awesome, highly recommended even if you have to leave the city and hop on the monorail. There's also the JR train museum which was also cool, they're pimping the gently caress out of their Maglev stuff, and you put your name into the bucket to drive the shinkansen simulator.

For wifi, I just had a bmobile SIM and I plan on doing the same thing this year. I'm kind of hoping that they don't shut off tethering since I switched from an Android device to an iPhone, and mobile hotspotting is dictated by the telco on iOS since 8.1 or something.