Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Phone posted:

You'll probably miss out on the cherry blossoms, I was there last year until the 31st and nothin' was popping.

For Nagoya, I have a buddy who has a video game bar right outside of Fushimi that's p chill, it's called Critical Hit. Good drinks, nice place. There's the Toyota Technology Museum and there's the Toyota Auto Museum if you're into engineering stuff, I'm hitting up the tech museum when I go (I'm going March 25 - April 5) since I skipped it last year, but the auto museum had a really, really cool post-war exhibit in the next building. Their collection is awesome, highly recommended even if you have to leave the city and hop on the monorail. There's also the JR train museum which was also cool, they're pimping the gently caress out of their Maglev stuff, and you put your name into the bucket to drive the shinkansen simulator.

For wifi, I just had a bmobile SIM and I plan on doing the same thing this year. I'm kind of hoping that they don't shut off tethering since I switched from an Android device to an iPhone, and mobile hotspotting is dictated by the telco on iOS since 8.1 or something.

I actually work for Toyota Material Handling and didn't make it to the Toyota Museum last time I was there. I'll put that high on the list.

As for Bmobile, my phone isn't on their approved list. I use a Xperia Z3V (V is the Verizon Release) so I imagine I have all of the bands necessary to function in Japan, but will my phone need to be unlocked or something? I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to technical phone stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So there's the technology museum: http://www.tcmit.org/english/ and https://goo.gl/maps/YXiJWNA1wu62

And the automobile museum: http://www.toyota.co.jp/Museum/english/ and https://goo.gl/maps/1zN8umHCwU12

Since you have a CDMA phone, it's worth it just to find a pocket wifi.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nagoya: I'd bounce on the weekend for Kyoto, Nara, Kanazawa some other historicy place

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Nagoya has either the largest, or one of the largest, planetariums in the world if that's up your alley.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Actually it's been really mild this winter so you may end up getting lucky on the cherry blossoms. Kinda hard to tell until it's like a week or two before, unfortunately.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Aredna posted:

Nagoya has either the largest, or one of the largest, planetariums in the world if that's up your alley.

The planetarium is dope, I highly recommend it.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

zmcnulty posted:

Actually it's been really mild this winter so you may end up getting lucky on the cherry blossoms. Kinda hard to tell until it's like a week or two before, unfortunately.

Yeah, the 'official' cherry blossom forecast is saying March 26th for Nagoya, but it seems their prediction last year (March 23rd) was two days late and this year has been pretty warm. extravadanza might miss the full bloom but will probably get to see something.

SonicDefiance
Jan 30, 2005

How did you stray so far to end up here?

extravadanza posted:

3) It sounds like I will miss out on the Cherry Blossoms, will I see any bloom before I leave on the 25th?

We were in Japan from mid-March to early April last year and caught cherry blossoms pretty much everywhere we went. We probably weren't there during "peak bloom" or whatever, but it was still a very pretty sight to see. :3:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Do warmer years cause later or earlier blooms for cherry blossoms? I was hoping to catch some as well.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Pretty accurate blossom forcast:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index.php

Hope I can come again this Easter! I can never get sick of Japan. If I didn't live so close to Japan I would have traveled around the god drat freaking world already. It's too convenient and too fun

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

You'll probably miss out on the cherry blossoms, I was there last year until the 31st and nothin' was popping.

For Nagoya, I have a buddy who has a video game bar right outside of Fushimi that's p chill, it's called Critical Hit. Good drinks, nice place. There's the Toyota Technology Museum and there's the Toyota Auto Museum if you're into engineering stuff, I'm hitting up the tech museum when I go (I'm going March 25 - April 5) since I skipped it last year, but the auto museum had a really, really cool post-war exhibit in the next building. Their collection is awesome, highly recommended even if you have to leave the city and hop on the monorail. There's also the JR train museum which was also cool, they're pimping the gently caress out of their Maglev stuff, and you put your name into the bucket to drive the shinkansen simulator.

For wifi, I just had a bmobile SIM and I plan on doing the same thing this year. I'm kind of hoping that they don't shut off tethering since I switched from an Android device to an iPhone, and mobile hotspotting is dictated by the telco on iOS since 8.1 or something.

I'll be in Japan around that time again and love all that engineering stuff so I put that on my list of things to do while I'm there. Do you think it's possible to see at least two of those museums in a day?

Any other recommendations around Japan for cool museums like that? I'm also planning on going to the Maglev test track with fingers crossed that there will be a test day when I'm there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Auto museum is in the middle of nowhere; you take one of the subway lines until it ends then hop on the monorail for 5 or 6 stops. I think it's about a 45 minute trip or so from Nagoya station, plus another 10 minutes on foot.

When are you planning on being in Nagoya? We can try to rendezvous and hit them up if the stars align.

For other stuff, I'm basically doing a slight retread of last year, but Mazda's down in Hiroshima and I was done with the tour by noon and spent the rest of the afternoon legging it around the Atomic Dome.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 17, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

The Auto museum is in the middle of nowhere; you take one of the subway lines until it ends then hop on the monorail for 5 or 6 stops. I think it's about a 45 minute trip or so from Nagoya station, plus another 10 minutes on foot.

When are you planning on being in Nagoya? We can try to rendezvous and hit them up if the stars align.

I'm not sure yet and I honestly probably will not know my complete itinerary until I am in Japan. I have a place out in Yokohama that I will be staying at so it's convenient for me to just plan things out around what my friends in Japan are doing. I also really want to use my rail pass to go up to Hokkaido and ride on the new shinkansen line up there. Let's keep in touch though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Busy Bee posted:

I'm not sure yet and I honestly probably will not know my complete itinerary until I am in Japan. I have a place out in Yokohama that I will be staying at so it's convenient for me to just plan things out around what my friends in Japan are doing. I also really want to use my rail pass to go up to Hokkaido and ride on the new shinkansen line up there. Let's keep in touch though.

Alright, sounds good. I'm going to be in Osaka/Kobe on March 25 and 30th at least, as well as the 4th since I fly out the next day from KIX. I plan on hitting up Nagoya for the 28th and 29th, and then I need to figure out the rest.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Does anyone know any good train stations between Tokyo and Sendai that I can see the Hayabusa / Super Komachi train pass by? I also wouldn't mind leaving the station and finding a good spot to take pictures of the train either. I'm a big train enthusiast (電車オタク.....) and can spend hours just sitting there waiting for the train to pass.

Phone posted:

Alright, sounds good. I'm going to be in Osaka/Kobe on March 25 and 30th at least, as well as the 4th since I fly out the next day from KIX. I plan on hitting up Nagoya for the 28th and 29th, and then I need to figure out the rest.

Awesome, that sounds like a good plan.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi

I feel like complaining just because I can. Getting concert tickets for Japan internationally is a loving PITA.

Also not to mention that every form requires a Japanese phone number and a Japanese address, which I usually have to fake by using my old/dead phone number from a few years ago or my old dead address from a few years ago or a hotel address.

Thanks

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

Hi

I feel like complaining just because I can. Getting concert tickets for Japan internationally is a loving PITA.

Also not to mention that every form requires a Japanese phone number and a Japanese address, which I usually have to fake by using my old/dead phone number from a few years ago or my old dead address from a few years ago or a hotel address.

Thanks

AKB 48 has a special foreigner's pass for easy tickets

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

AKB 48 has a special foreigner's pass for easy tickets

Yeah but I'm not interested in underage kids

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's cuz you got tired of it already right?

:downsrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NcIGBKXMOE

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
dang

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

I saw that video a while back - just me or is anyone tired of the "Wow look at how weird Japan is" videos that Vice has to do all the drat time. And that guy they interviewed who claims to be the know-it-all for this industry is Japan is such a square - saying things like how bad woman have it in Japan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hello, i am a japanese. I have am found your comments on another site is link. I think maybe you are so confuse about meaning of customer service. In Japan, customer service is famous O MO TE NA SHI, also customer service is have manner, also is use keigo, and have politeness when talk to other. Also is have bow.
In America, it's call danger country. Customer serivce equal clerk is not get shoot by gun of customer. Also cusotmer service equal don't say racism to black human. So America standard is too low. But America is teach Japan one thing. It's name 糖尿病 in english say "DIABETES". this is because america is eat many sweet, candy and also hamburg.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
All true.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VPD-pq818U

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

extravadanza posted:

1) Any recommendations on food or stuff to do in Nagoya that I haven't done yet? Or even Kariya for that matter (seemed like a small town with no tourism, so probably not)... The Castle was under heavy construction when I visited in 2012, so maybe it's worth seeing now that it's complete? I'm not sure.

3) It sounds like I will miss out on the Cherry Blossoms, will I see any bloom before I leave on the 25th?

Thanks for your time reading this.

You are too early for Cherry blossoms, but you should be able to hit the end of plum blossom season. The Nagoya Agriculture Center(https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...6bc334d05e76b7f) has a beautiful plum grove.

It probably is worth seeing Nagoya castle again if you last saw it in 2012, since now you can tour part of the wooden palace that is currently under reconstruction.

Also, Nagoya is like 35 minutes from Kyoto by bullet train, so there is no reason you can't visit there on a day off, even coming from Kariya I think you are only looking at about 1 hour of travel time.

AFAIK, Kariya doesn't have much going on except a really awesome lantern festival during the summer.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

teddust posted:

You are too early for Cherry blossoms, but you should be able to hit the end of plum blossom season. The Nagoya Agriculture Center(https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...6bc334d05e76b7f) has a beautiful plum grove.

It probably is worth seeing Nagoya castle again if you last saw it in 2012, since now you can tour part of the wooden palace that is currently under reconstruction.

Also, Nagoya is like 35 minutes from Kyoto by bullet train, so there is no reason you can't visit there on a day off, even coming from Kariya I think you are only looking at about 1 hour of travel time.

AFAIK, Kariya doesn't have much going on except a really awesome lantern festival during the summer.

Really liking that agricultural center suggestion. I've been around farming my whole life in Indiana and keep a small garden myself. It would be interesting seeing traditional Japanese plants and farming.

I just found out the guy I'm visiting Nagoya with saw the castle a month ago, so I'll probably have to pass on it for this visit and just do stuff we haven't yet.

A lot of suggestions for Kyoto, so I'll keep that open as an option, but I do plan to make a 2 week Tokyo/Kyoto trip dedicated just for vacation at some point in 2017 with my wife. Currently saving up $, Miles and vacation days for that to happen, though.

RE Kariya: Yea that's the feeling I got on my last visit. Sounds like I'll be working 'Toyota Hours' (working 8 am - 8 pm) so I likely won't have any time to spend beyond just getting Dinner in Kariya, anyway...

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
Goon waifus, I will be in Japan the following places on the following dates:

March 29 - April 2nd - Meguro, Tokyo
April 2nd - April 3rd - Kawasaki (going to the dick fest, so what, wanna fight about it?)
April 3rd - April 4th - Asakusa, Tokyo
April 4th - April 6th - Kyoto area
April 6th - April 9th - Osaka/Nara area
April 9th - April 10th - Hiroshima/Miyajima
April 10th - April 12 - Fukuoka/Yufuin
April 12th - April 14th - Nagoya
April 14th - April 15th - Setagaya, Tokyo)
April 15th - fly back to real life/california

Anyone want to kick it? I don't know what to say about me or anything. Here's my instagram?

https://www.instagram.com/cosmicprank/

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

cosmicprank posted:

Goon waifus, I will be in Japan the following places on the following dates:

April 2nd - April 3rd - Kawasaki (going to the dick fest, so what, wanna fight about it?)

Anyone want to kick it? I don't know what to say about me or anything. Here's my instagram?

https://www.instagram.com/cosmicprank/

Hahaha I will be in Japan during that time too and didn't realize it was going on. I'll try to make it to the dick fest!

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
My partner and I just snagged a flight that will put us in Japan from March 8th to 22nd. She's really interested in traditional Japan and is super-excited to see the temples in Kyoto, but I have a massive fetish for JDM cars (I have an '85 MR2) and would love to check out engineering/technology museums in addition to the more traditional stuff. I'm interested to hear any recommendations you might have.

Also, I will puke and poo poo for 8 hours if I consume fish or beans and I need an epi-pen if I have peanuts or peas. Will an allergy like that be a problem in Japan?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

TWSS posted:

My partner and I just snagged a flight that will put us in Japan from March 8th to 22nd. She's really interested in traditional Japan and is super-excited to see the temples in Kyoto, but I have a massive fetish for JDM cars (I have an '85 MR2) and would love to check out engineering/technology museums in addition to the more traditional stuff. I'm interested to hear any recommendations you might have.

Also, I will puke and poo poo for 8 hours if I consume fish or beans and I need an epi-pen if I have peanuts or peas. Will an allergy like that be a problem in Japan?

They kinda sneak fish and bean product into a lot of stuff. Is like Fish stock a problem or just eating like big chunks of fish? There's plenty of pork and chicken to eat, but sometimes they can still be prepared with fish or bean.

Maybe look into some sort of card that indicates your food needs?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

extravadanza posted:

They kinda sneak fish and bean product into a lot of stuff. Is like Fish stock a problem or just eating like big chunks of fish? There's plenty of pork and chicken to eat, but sometimes they can still be prepared with fish or bean.

Maybe look into some sort of card that indicates your food needs?

This website seems like a good resource. I'll either carry around 3 cards or I guess I can try to use the fill in the blank card to list my allergies in roma-ji? All seafood, all nuts, peas, beans and kiwi seems like it might take up a lot of space and I also kind of want to specify that I can't do soy or miso without enduring hours of poo poo-pukes.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
If it's really that bad, you might want to go to the grocery store and make your own food. I wouldn't put my faith in Japanese waitstaff to understand your situation when the reaction is that severe. I know that's pretty brutal, but I've heard way too many stories about vegetarians getting food with meat in it no matter how clear they are about not being able to eat animal products.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Will I not even be able to get away with pork ramen or is there definitely some bean paste in the stock they use?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You might be better off just trying to get a refund for the tickets or just wind up eating egg salad sandwiches from the convenience stores.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

TWSS posted:

Will an allergy like that be a problem in Japan?

lol

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Nobody in Japan has a fish allergy, because the instant a child with a fish allergy is born, they shrivel up and wither to dust instantly

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

No fish, soy or sesame? You're boned, dude. Just accept that you'll eat nothing but pizza and will have diarrhea constantly.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

peanut posted:

No fish, soy or sesame? You're boned, dude. Just accept that you'll eat nothing but pizza and will have diarrhea constantly.

I'm good with sesame! I'm ONLY allergic to fish, shellfish, legumes, nuts, and kiwi.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Coke Zero and Snickers bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Phone posted:

Snickers

Nope, peanuts.