Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Good Listener posted:

I'm not actually hitting up Kyoto at this time, we're mainly sticking to the Tokyo area. I have been to Kyomizudera and Ryoanji before when I visited back in college though :)

I have a Visa and a Master card. I have a Wise card which currently has 82500yen on it so I should be set there it sounds like.

I was going to pick up one of those simcards for internet/data when we land in Haneda. I don't have an iphone though, mine's a Galaxy.

I should maybe start planning a bit harder but I'm still kind of waiting to see when/if we can hopefully get a Kirby cafe reservation. I know it's popular so..

Thank you for all the suggestions so far though, I'll check them out during the work day today.

Also wrt language stuff, I was doing Duolingo for a while last year but their AI poo poo they did a while back soured me on using their services.

Ubigi is the cheapest rate for non Asian tourists and see if you can activate an eSIM for Japan, so that you get data the minute you land.

Arlo have it send physical card to your home before you fly, swap your sim in the airplane

Haneda vending machines are fine, you can get 3000/4000/5000 etc yen worth of sim card right after you exit customs. But you have to swap SIM cards in the airport like some smuggler and you pay a little more for the data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
+1 on having SIM card ready before you go. I got mine super cheap on Taobao. My iPhone 12 Pro also has 2 SIM slots so it's easy to put in a foreign SIM card while keeping my China one in at all times. Just disable the original SIM via the Settings menu.

Also, wrt that list earlier, 2 credit cards and 2 debit cards seems kind of excessive IMO. Definitely at least one of each plus cash, but what do I know. I don't have a credit card and that part is a pain for Japan specifically, but if you've ever lived abroad for long enough you learn to be resourceful.

The only reason I have multiple bank debit cards is because China does this weird poo poo of having each employer determine which bank you need to use to receive your paycheck, so you end up with a bunch of random bank cards and debit cards over time.

I'm planning on bringing 40k yen in cash and withdrawing another 40k in-person if I need it. But I'll also only be here like 4 or 5 days so.... v:v:v

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 15, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nothing but positive things to say about Ubigi. Topping up data was a breeze halfway through my trip, on top of providing a helpful reminder that I was getting low.

Living in the web 3.0 fancy UI/UX world I will say that the e-commerce experience for a lot of eSIM providers feels sketchy but that says more about me than them IMO.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Being a tourist in Japan feels terrifying.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Maybe ya'll shouldn't come.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nah it feels awesome, OP

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Wonton posted:

A data plan, don’t rely on WiFi like a teenager in 2024, 13 years after the death of Steve Jobs

If you're travelling in a group, depending on your roaming/data charges, renting a mobile hotspot/pocket WiFi might be cheaper.

anakha fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 15, 2024

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gabriel Grub posted:

:dafuq:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I will def check into those later tonight when I'm not at work haha. It's only two of us going so I dun think that sounds as much of a group.

I did see though that my Discover card actually let me register my travel online already so I'm set there. Will probably still call when it gets closer though to double ensure they know.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Gabriel Grub posted:

It's fine, just don't forget your flashlight.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I’m just taking half a million yen in cash to avoid the problem entirely until we somehow spend half a million yen in cash like 1 week in to a 3 week trip.

That is… a lot of cash to carry around, and presumably you have paid for lodging in advance / by card.

Some people are seriously overthinking the money thing, sweet Jesus. It’s not a 1850s trip from London to Cairo. Push comes to shove and your chip doesn’t work at the ATM, you can just walk into the bank like a caveman living back in 1995 would do, and talk to an actual teller and ask them to run your card.

And if you lose all your cards and your phone and your IDs and your ability to speak, then you’ve probably also lost a fat stack of ¥10,000 notes.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Goon challenge: take a 3-day trip where you can only use hotel Wi-Fi.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Gabriel Grub posted:

Unfortunately I have yet to see a Western tourist in begging need of funds in Tokyo, because that would be a lot of loving fun.

Not a tourist but this did kinda happen to me. I was at a poolside party, got in the pool, and when I went back to where me and my friends were, all my stuff was gone. Like, ALL my stuff: friends, phone, wallet, house keys, my drat t-shirt.

I thought they went back to the station and were waiting for me, so I went and waited until last train. They never showed. I started asking randos for change so I could make a phone call. Someone gave me 1000 yen and said good luck. I figured I'd wait it out until first train since we planned to be at the same party the next day anyway.

While waiting, shirtless mind you, some woman came along and felt sorry for me and invited me to her place. I thought okay awesome but it turns out Japanese omotenashi only extends to your driveway when picking up homeless gaijin. I spent the night in her car, parked in her driveway. Got all my stuff back the next day... it turns out someone just turned it into lost & found. No idea what would have happened to me if some cops happened to come by instead of her.

Moral of the story: don't forget your drat flashlight, and store it in your rectum.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I dropped my wallet while biking in Kyoto and it was interesting stretching out my pocket change for a day or two while sorting out what the hell to do (hooray for 500¥ coins). When I called my bank to ask for options about getting cash on hand, they immediately cancelled all my cards even though I just called to ask questions so even if it turned up all my cards would have been useless. Filing a report at a police box was pretty straightforward, and they ended up finding it a couple days later and mailed it to a friend in Tokyo so it was waiting for me there at the end of my trip. The couple hundred bucks I had in there was intact, although they did confiscate the Suica card I had in there because it had my friend's name and not mine.

I managed to get a couple hundred bucks from a Western Union, and a poster from this thread was in town and hooked me up with a couple thousand bucks for the rest of my trip and we went out for kakigori. Seriously, the people in here are really really awesome.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 16, 2024

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

anakha posted:

If you're travelling in a group, depending on your roaming/data charges, renting a mobile hotspot/pocket WiFi might be cheaper.

Pocket WiFi is good for families and kids and multiple devices , but the minute someone goes to a bathroom break or split up, oh no no connection

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

That’s called 2003 and carrying a copy of lonely planet. I’m not going to pay for airfare and hotel just to live like a hobo in the cities.

I’m going to go on a overpriced camping trip to see nature in the wilderness with no cell service

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hey, $2000 dollar vacation donation goon, PM me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

One of the people I was traveling with in 2020 just leeched wifi for a four day trip and did okay wandering around on his own, though he had the two of us with sims as backup.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Hey, $2000 dollar vacation donation goon, PM me.

It was more that he had a bank account in my country for his business that I could do an EMT with, so he hooked me up with a stack of bills while we set up the transfer. I was super lucky that he was in town for the day and will be eternally grateful for it.

I also broke my collarbone falling down a mountain on my last day and another person from here picked me up from the hospital and let me stay at their family's place for a couple days before my flight home. According to the LINE chat I somehow still wasn't the goon with the most disastrous trip where they just kept getting themselves into more trouble (I think it involved a hostess club, probably).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

According to the LINE chat I somehow still wasn't the goon with the most disastrous trip where they just kept getting themselves into more trouble (I think it involved a hostess club, probably).

I don’t remember all the details offhand but yeah, I do recall a goon getting themselves into one of the more common/well known hostess club scams.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Half a million yen is way too much for a few weeks unless you literally haven't paid for anything (hotels trains, etc) and even then it's a lot.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

154 yen to 1 usd
:eyepop:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

154 yen to 1 usd
:eyepop:

:negative:

totalnewbie posted:

Half a million yen is way too much for a few weeks unless you literally haven't paid for anything (hotels trains, etc) and even then it's a lot.

unless you're like buying a camera, in which case :thunk:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The low yen has made loading up my Wise card very positive in my favor. Sorry Japan. I'll pay it back to you soon.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

After deducting what we’re gonna spend on Shinkansen tickets for some of the longer trips and the cost of a tattoo appointment we’ve got set up it’s like 8000jpy per person per day.

If we were just talking paying for food and drink and spending on absolutely nothing else yeah it’s overkill, but we’ve also gotta pay for however many shorter trips to get out to other places or just trains or busses around the main cities where we’re staying out of that budget, and we’ll almost certainly do some shopping on top of that which will eat into the overall figure pretty decently.

We spent ~200k in about a week the first time we went to Osaka and that’s just the cash we took, not including anything we spent on our cards where we wanted to conserve some of that cash for other things. The exchange rate was significantly worse then too (like 1gbp to 140jpy, vs 188 now), so we’re getting a lot more bang for our buck this year.

It’s also my first vacation in almost 6 years due to the pandemic and life poo poo, I don’t really mind breaking the bank if that’s what people consider it :shrug:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
For two people plus travel that's much more reasonable.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

totalnewbie posted:

Too much for what? It's only 3500 bucks

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LOL Just LOL if you aren't staying at 1000 yen a night residential hotels, walking everywhere, and eating the cheapest day old crap you can find at grocery stores. And don't tell me you flew to Japan. Stowing away in cargo containers is where it's at.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would probably be found feral in a ditch six weeks later because I live and die by Google Maps when I'm out of my familiar surroundings.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

You can download maps beforehand so you don't need Wi-Fi.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Shammypants posted:

Too much for what? It's only 3500 bucks

Waltzing Along posted:

LOL Just LOL if you aren't staying at 1000 yen a night residential hotels, walking everywhere, and eating the cheapest day old crap you can find at grocery stores. And don't tell me you flew to Japan. Stowing away in cargo containers is where it's at.

You two have some terrible reading comprehension.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I somehow made it my first 3 years in China using only Wifi because my 32 GB iPhone 7 (the phone I was using at the time) didn't let me swap in a China SIM card because I originally bought it on contract in the US.

It was hellish. Life became a million times better after finally upgrading to a 512 GB iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 17, 2024

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

You two have some terrible reading comprehension.

Yeah, the concern isn’t the budget but in handling it in cash.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is a killer reminder because I 100% forgot this exists. I actually might do a WiFi-less challenge for one day. Just walk.

TBH I'm actually going to be staying really close to Tokyo Tower so honestly if I get lost I can pretty easily re-orient. Scaled down mini-joke-challenge accepted!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Oh did they unblock this for Japan? I got around a few counties without a sim this way, but Google maps hadn't licensed Japan for offline use when I visited.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

My parents did it when they came over last year, not 100% sure if it was Google Maps though.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

This is a killer reminder because I 100% forgot this exists. I actually might do a WiFi-less challenge for one day. Just walk.

TBH I'm actually going to be staying really close to Tokyo Tower so honestly if I get lost I can pretty easily re-orient. Scaled down mini-joke-challenge accepted!
Yeah I usually do this for short trips, can't really be bothered with sims, just figure out roughly what I want to do that day and it's been fine so far. I'm probably hosed if I need an Uber or something though.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

harperdc posted:

Yeah, the concern isn’t the budget but in handling it in cash.

I’m definitely concerned about the budget

I don’t know who is spending hundreds of dollars per diem, that’s wild.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

I’m definitely concerned about the budget

I don’t know who is spending hundreds of dollars per diem, that’s wild.

TIL ~$50 USD is actually “hundreds of dollars”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

TIL ~$50 USD is actually “hundreds of dollars”

feels like it the way the yen has gone of late :v: