Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want to be around Himeji, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka (sucks) - try the Kansai West pass. As for going from Tokyo to Kyoto you are pretty much boned on a one way shinkansen.

Or go National but you will be under a tighter time frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Tequila Sunrise posted:

is it Akita International University or Akita University?

Akita International, of course.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Stalins Moustache posted:

Akita International, of course.

I live nearby, and have visited AIU several times for different things.

First off, you don't need any Japanese. Every class at AIU is conducted exclusively in English, with the exception of a few classes that are only for Japanese nationals so you don't need to worry about it. Everyone I talked to while I was there, students and faculty, had strong enough English that I didn't even have to think twice about what they were saying to me. Honestly, you're only going to be there a semester (So like, maybe 4 months?) so there's literally no reason to break your back learning Japanese beyond the most basic survival words if you're not interested in the language. I mean I guess if you're going to be trying to pick up dates outside of the campus maybe you need some, but other than that I can't think of a reason why you'd need it at all. Even if the only Japanese language you ever learn is 'Arigatou' you'll never be "That Person" because the entire structure of the university is "All English, All The Time".

The campus is pretty remote, though, so be prepared for that. Akita is a really rural prefecture, and AIU is literally just all by itself, not in a town or anything. It is like 15 minutes from Akita City, which has like 300,000 people and everything you could need, so don't worry about not having supplies you need, just realize that you'll need to take a bus to get anywhere off campus.

If you're coming between October-March, pack some warm clothes and snow boots. I hope you like snow and rain, a lot.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

How long do cherry blossom trees stay in bloom usually? Especially in the Tokyo area.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

How long do cherry blossom trees stay in bloom usually? Especially in the Tokyo area.

Reposting this from a few pages ago

http://www.jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index.php

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Neat, thanks.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm going to be in Japan from March 21st - April 4th. I will have a JR Pass and interested in going skiing. Where is the best place to go skiing around that time? I was already planning on going up to Hokkaido with my rail pass so I'm thinking mountains around there? I see a lot of information about Niseko online - is that the go to mountain in Hokkaido?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Depends on your skill and snow conditions. Everyone likes to go to Niseko. But it's really really crowded and locals like to go to other nearby mountains (a lot to choose)

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

caberham posted:

Depends on your skill and snow conditions. Everyone likes to go to Niseko. But it's really really crowded and locals like to go to other nearby mountains (a lot to choose)

Skill: Advanced
Snow conditions: Groomed / Powder - don't really mind as long as its not too icy.

I prefer a mountain with a lot of long runs that are accessed by gondolas.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Looking to travel to japan this year, not really looking to travel about the place too much so would prefer to stop in one area. What's a good place to go to in Japan for someone who has never been?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Although I haven't been to Kyoto or Tokyo yet, the popular opinion is Kyoto for history, Tokyo for modern activities and nightlife.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Thrasophius posted:

Looking to travel to japan this year, not really looking to travel about the place too much so would prefer to stop in one area. What's a good place to go to in Japan for someone who has never been?

Unless you dislike cities, you can't go wrong with Tokyo. You can find good examples of everything Japanese and/or international there, and there are easy day (or overnight) trips to places like Nikko to get up into the mountains and see historical stuff and so forth.

Kyoto is also good, and again there are plenty of day/overnight trips from there if you want to see stuff in the region without crossing the whole country; it's in easy reach of famous sights like Himeji Castle and you can feasibly reach Hiroshima if that interests you.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 25, 2016

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Busy Bee posted:

Skill: Advanced
Snow conditions: Groomed / Powder - don't really mind as long as its not too icy.

I prefer a mountain with a lot of long runs that are accessed by gondolas.

Have you looked at Rusutsu? Plenty of really long runs (3 mountains!) and the powder there is amazing. Also the smaller run stays open till 8:30pm.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Thrasophius posted:

This is a really general post
  • How much time do you have
  • When are you going
  • What's your freaking budget
  • What do you like to do
  • Are you going there for a new Waifu

Everyone, myself included will say Tokyo because it's a giant city with amazing parks and amazing transportation network to get out of the city and flights are much easier to catch and the museums are cool and there are lots of new restaurants and I like hanging out with Tokyo goons and I spend my time not in Japan posting in this thread because I miss Japan and I will be in Japan very soon (Easter)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What if I'm going there for an old waifu?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Then it's time for a new laifu.

Oh and OSAKA SUCKS

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think everyone in this thread is going to be in Japan for Easter. I take it that you're going to be up in Tokyo?

vvv - wanna meet up? you can laugh at me being an awful foreigner and not know the language at all

Phone fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 26, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kyoto yolo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

paberu posted:

Have you looked at Rusutsu? Plenty of really long runs (3 mountains!) and the powder there is amazing. Also the smaller run stays open till 8:30pm.

Seconding Rusutsu.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lovely pic, but you can see the cherry buds growing :dance:

These are the ones along the river in Ichigaya, so they get a lot of sun and are around the first to bloom.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's wrong with Osaka.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What's wrong with Osaka.

Too many burakumin

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's good for living but not good for more than 2 days sightseeing. But whatever I live on Shikoku where a half day is all you need for each city :sadpeanut:

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I posted earlier about my trip to Japan coming up. We will be visiting Sapporo from March 17-20, for a bit of snow action. My wife and I are both skiing beginners so we were going to play around on some of the slopes close to town, maybe some of the ones close by according to this site: http://www.welcome.city.sapporo.jp/special/feature_article/ski_resorts/?lang=en.

My question is: what kind of clothing, etc. will we need to bring? Obviously warm stuff, but how much can you hire for skiing? I have never lived in an area where it snows and my wife has never even seen snow, so I have no snow gear, but have jumpers, thermal underwear, beanies, weather proof jackets etc. But we have no winter/snow boots. What is appropriate to wear around for just walking around the city, and can we hire proper boots for when we are skiing/snowboarding or whatever? Will we need to buy some winter/snow boots for walking around the city?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

caberham posted:

This is a really general post
  • How much time do you have
  • When are you going
  • What's your freaking budget
  • What do you like to do
  • Are you going there for a new Waifu

Everyone, myself included will say Tokyo because it's a giant city with amazing parks and amazing transportation network to get out of the city and flights are much easier to catch and the museums are cool and there are lots of new restaurants and I like hanging out with Tokyo goons and I spend my time not in Japan posting in this thread because I miss Japan and I will be in Japan very soon (Easter)

Yeh I was thinking it'd be Tokyo but thought I'd ask here in case there where any places better i wouldn't know about. Going for about 12 nights toward the end of May, budget is prob about £2500 for the holiday, like night clubs etc (but not an excessive amount) but generally like sightseeing and seeing weird poo poo.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So are you there for a new waifu?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can't really help you with the night club bit, but there are a tonne of amazing Japanese style cocktail bars like little smith. Seems like Tokyo is the place for you. But if you want sleaze, then go straight for Osaka.

As for sight seeing, I think everyone likes to sight see, so I don't know what you like. I mean there's Kyoto being the old imperial capital and all with a gently caress tonne of temples and amazing architecture. If you do go to Tokyo book an appointment beforehand at the imperial household agency for a palace tour.

If you are from Scaborough North Yorkshire or haven't really traveled to Non European places or haven't been to Asia then everything is going to feel weird for you. The streets, the food, the crowd, the OTAKU, the karaoke, the washlets.

Or maybe everything is just normal and you are the weird one

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8HSjhQ7Z2o

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

caberham posted:

If you are from Scaborough North Yorkshire or haven't really traveled to Non European places or haven't been to Asia then everything is going to feel weird for you.

Wow that's a disturbingly accurate description of me...

I'm want to travel there just as a holiday to see what Japan is like because I like the idea of teaching there but want to see what the country is like beforehand. Yes I know it wouldn't be an accurate depiction of everyday life there but it would at least give me a little feel for it.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Thrasophius posted:

Yes I know it wouldn't be an accurate depiction of everyday life there but it would at least give me a little feel for it.

In that case, you should probably skip Tokyo all together and visit some bumfuck town in the middle of nowhere. ;)

I'm kind of half-joking. AFAIK it's pretty hard to get jobs in Tokyo since everyone wants to live there. Plus, if you are going through the JET program, you don't get to choose where you teach and odds are you will end up in the boonies.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So I just walked past this the other day, apparently it's just opened in the past year or so:
https://www.facebook.com/samuraimuseum.jp/

Y'all tourists should check it out if you're in Shinjuku.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
#Thankyou #samurai #tokyo #shinjuku #sengoku #museum #bushido #edo #cool #sword #spear #armor #shogun #happy #budo #sightseeing

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kawaii imo thx senpai

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
What kind of interesting/whacky/cool placess are there to visit in Tokyo? I am travelling there with my wife, we will be there from Sunday 20/03 to Saturday 26/03. We're staying at an apartment near Tokyo Tower. So far, the stuff we want/have booked to see is:
Disneyland
Studio Ghibli Museum
Pokemon museum
Tsukiji fish market
Imperial palace
Tea ceremony (anyone recommend a place?)
Ninja Akasaka restaurant
Gardens/parks (recommendations?)
Temples (recommendations?)
Akihabara

Interested in seeing cultural/historical/engineering stuff. Also, weird stuff like owl cafes and poo poo like that.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Vidaeus posted:

Studio Ghibli Museum

Unless you are super super into Anime and Ghibli do not waste your time there.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Aredna posted:

Unless you are super super into Anime and Ghibli do not waste your time there.

My wife is keen, plus we have already bought the tix

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Vidaeus posted:

Temples (recommendations?)

go to nikko, it's an easy day trip from tokyo. world heritage site, massive temple/shrine complex, has the original three wise monkeys.

failing that, sensoji in asakusa is deece.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

Disneyland

My one advice about this list is that if you're going to Disneyland, do it on a weekday. Don't get me wrong - it will still be really crowded whenever you go, but on weekends it goes into extremely unmanageable levels.

Also, I prefer Disney Sea to Disneyland. Choose that one if you'd like to drink some alcohol at a Disney park.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 29, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Near the end of the trip go to Shinjuku-Gyoen. If you're lucky the cherry blossoms will have started.

If you want to see weird stuff hit up a maid care when you're in Akihabara. Just do like 30mins or an hour and have some dessert after your lunch and see the crazy over the top stuff they're doing. If you want really odd you can hit up one of the places where you'll rest your face in the lap of some high school girls while she cleans your ears. There will be plenty of people handing out cards for it.

There's a rabbit cafe in Omotesando/Harajuku area - but I'd avoid it as apparently you can't touch the rabbits anymore. I'm guessing someone got bit.

Do Harajuku/Yoyogi Park/Meiji-jingu Shrine all on a Sunday. It'll be crowded, but you'll see the most people dressed up and doing performances, etc. around on that day.

If you're really adventurous you can follow the touts into wherever they are pimping for - but you should leave all your credit cards and most of your cash at home..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Go here. Bonus is that it's only like a hundred meters from the robot restaurant so you can double up.

Stringent posted:

So I just walked past this the other day, apparently it's just opened in the past year or so:
https://www.facebook.com/samuraimuseum.jp/

Y'all tourists should check it out if you're in Shinjuku.