Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

punk rebel ecks posted:

The reasons why I'm put off from moving to Japan are two:

1. I don't think I'll ever be accepted since I'm not Japanese, and same with my children who will be "halfu".

2. There is a lot of disparity between men and women which will make me worry if I have a daughter.

It's "haafu", not "halfu".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Araki posted:

I googled it, I was thinking of Zoorasia.

Araki posted:

Ueno Zoo sucks, a lot of the cages are just bare concrete boxes, and the animals are stressed and depressed as a result. Don't give them your money.

The only other one I've been to is Tama Zoo, which is a lot better, but still had a couple of puzzingly small enclosures, especially considering the amount of available space.

There's one on the outskirts of Yokohama that I forgot the name of which is supposed to be pretty good in terms of animal welfare, but it's quite far from Tokyo.

Thanks for the help! I might check out Zoorasia then.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't think I'll ever be accepted since I'm not Japanese

well not with that attitude you won't

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if arudo debito can do it, you can too!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Please source your quotes.

I didn't want to have to go this far but it's from my deviantart circa 2007

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

The reasons why I'm put off from moving to Japan are two:

1. I don't think I'll ever be accepted since I'm not Japanese, and same with my children who will be "halfu".

2. There is a lot of disparity between men and women which will make me worry if I have a daughter.

I mean, you're really putting the cart before the horse here. you aren't even seriously dating anyone yet. you seem to really like Japan, so I suggested moving there.

the two things you listed here are like wayyyy down the line issues and you can probably find one or two reasons like this to not move anywhere. you should probably focus on the positives of what you do like about a place, rather than being concerned about a few things that you have no control over and aren't even that terrible

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stringent posted:

It's "haafu", not "halfu".

both are correct

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Great Autismo! posted:

I mean, you're really putting the cart before the horse here. you aren't even seriously dating anyone yet. you seem to really like Japan, so I suggested moving there.

the two things you listed here are like wayyyy down the line issues and you can probably find one or two reasons like this to not move anywhere. you should probably focus on the positives of what you do like about a place, rather than being concerned about a few things that you have no control over and aren't even that terrible

Being non-factious here, I was under the impression that you had to be highly educated and highly skilled to be able to move to Japan?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being non-factious here

:raise:

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Bit of an odd question. I'm interested in exploring different parts of Japan someday, but I'm not sure what I would actually do there. I'm not into tourist stuff, or famous landmarks, or night life or instagram selfies or whatever. So basically I would just walk around and eat, which is great, but I can do that in Tokyo. I'm looking for an excuse to go see other prefectures and I'm afraid I'll end up blowing a lot of money just to be bored and sunburned.

It used to be about finding game centers, but those are the same everywhere and good christ do they suck now.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

magikid posted:

Bit of an odd question. I'm interested in exploring different parts of Japan someday, but I'm not sure what I would actually do there. I'm not into tourist stuff, or famous landmarks, or night life or instagram selfies or whatever. So basically I would just walk around and eat, which is great, but I can do that in Tokyo. I'm looking for an excuse to go see other prefectures and I'm afraid I'll end up blowing a lot of money just to be bored and sunburned.

It used to be about finding game centers, but those are the same everywhere and good christ do they suck now.

Just do it cheap so you’re not blowing money

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Every little podunk place in Japan has some kind of local food specialty, you could make searching for those a thing. Or specialize and go after regional ramens or sake breweries or something.

Or just wander aimlessly since Japan is pretty and good.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being non-factious here, I was under the impression that you had to be highly educated and highly skilled to be able to move to Japan?

lol

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I was under the impression that Japan had one of the strictest immigration policies in the world?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

peanut posted:

both are correct

both are slurs. please to be switching to the affirming "double"/"daburu"/"W"

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was under the impression that Japan had one of the strictest immigration policies in the world?

lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey I love to make your dream move to Japan come true, tell us more about yourself! Good luck!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

punk rebel ecks posted:

lmao

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Japan doesn't have strict immigration laws?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Just show up and get married and you're good to go,

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I honestly don’t know if you’re doing a bit at this point or not

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
He probably just misspelled non-facetious, most likely meaning he was claiming to be serious this time and alluding to the prior posting as a joke.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
He went to japan and loved it!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

magikid posted:

Ride a bike. Go to festivals. Collect temple and shrine stamps. Fart in all the onsens.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Look at all the goons that live here and you’ll have your answer.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Bloodnose posted:

Just show up and get married and you're good to go,

just lmao if you cant find a waifu before your tourist visa runs out

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Starting to get my ducks in a row packing-wise for my trip :sax:

Here's a dumb question: I have a Swiss Army pocketknife, any reason that'd be an issue bringing over? I mainly wanna bring it so I have a small pair of scissors to cut the bandages with for my tattoo. It'd be in our checked bag, of course.

Also: any especially fun karaoke/bars for a night out in Osaka?

Also also: any preferred spots too buy some whiskey to bring back with me? Like, the giant department stores find to buy booze at?

And finally, we may have some time on.. 5/11 I think if goons possibly wanna meetup for some drinks somewhere in Tokyo? Not 100% on this yet, gotta check with my partner, but if she's down and there's interest here I think it'd be fun! Y'all have helped out so much, if I can buy drinks or something for at least one of you that'd be cool :bubblewoop:

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wasn't saying :therapy: as a joke, you seriously need to go get therapy my dude.

If this is a bit, well, good job.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

bring normal scissors? buy whiskey anywhere seriously the selection is ridic

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Johnny Truant posted:

Also also: any preferred spots too buy some whiskey to bring back with me? Like, the giant department stores find to buy booze at?

Duty Free in the airport has ridiculously cheap whiskey. I got a $350 bottle of Nikka whiskey for $50.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If there are any. Since Japanese whisky became popular I haven't seen bottles of it at duty free.

I miss the days you could load up on $20 bottles of assorted 12 years on your way out. :sigh:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

Duty Free in the airport has ridiculously cheap whiskey. I got a $350 bottle of Nikka whiskey for $50.

Ooh this sounds perfect. And you were there recently so :pray: hopefully I can snag a bottle or five on my way out of the country.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Duty Free in the airport has ridiculously cheap whiskey. I got a $350 bottle of whiskey for $50.

it'll be about the same price at any store/distillery in Japan, depending on if you can get the tax exemption, and if you don't you're talking a couple bucks more.

Generally speaking if it's $50 at duty free it's also 50ish at a store in Japan. The huge markups come from exporting/importing it.

I would actually warn against waiting to get to duty free to buy anything since duty free sells out of this stuff a lot as it's such a hot item. I've been burned at Haneda and Narita when they've had basically only european/american whiskies and been sold out of any sub-several hundred dollar Hibiki 30 year stuff, and Chitose was actually sold out of all it's Nikka stuff when I was there last December. P much any store you go in will have it for about the same price as duty free would have it tho.

I was happy I picked up the coffey malt and other yoichi stuff in stores before the airport, and they even bubblewrapped it in special bags for being put in checked luggage.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

it'll be about the same price at any store/distillery in Japan, depending on if you can get the tax exemption, and if you don't you're talking a couple bucks more.

Generally speaking if it's $50 at duty free it's also 50ish at a store in Japan. The huge markups come from exporting/importing it.

I would actually warn against waiting to get to duty free to buy anything since duty free sells out of this stuff a lot as it's such a hot item. I've been burned at Haneda and Narita when they've had basically only european/american whiskies and been sold out of any sub-several hundred dollar Hibiki 30 year stuff, and Chitose was actually sold out of all it's Nikka stuff when I was there last December. P much any store you go in will have it for about the same price as duty free would have it tho.

I was happy I picked up the coffey malt and other yoichi stuff in stores before the airport, and they even bubblewrapped it in special bags for being put in checked luggage.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Found the best luck at smaller liquor stores for good deals on whiskey. Was able to get Yamazaki 18 for around $250 in Hiroshima at a super tiny but well stocked store, for example.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

That’s just because it’s completely ludicrously overpriced wherever you saw the 350

Duty Free is not at all a reliable place to get Japanese whisky for something like the past 5-10 years

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also if you're in Osaka the Yamazaki distillery is nearby and the tour is a good use of a few hours.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If you're in Osaka definitely don't stay in the Namba area like we did. Super loving crowded and loud pachinko everywhere. I prefer the less noisy areas.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
On the other hand, stay in Namba because it’s near the fun areas to drink and party.

The Drunken Clam is a small bar in Osaka not far from Namba that is owned by a Canadian and they do open karaoke. But it’ll be almost all foreigners.

As for whiskey, many friends have asked me to pick them up stuff to bring them in America but they usually end up finding it for cheaper in the US. Japan isn’t a land of cheap epic whiskey anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Namba is good because it's walkable to most of the fun areas and central to the entire transit network.