Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

:ohdear:

Well this is information I didn’t think to ask for. Guess I’ll be living on vending machine food.

if they'll even take your money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Good Listener posted:

I'm not planning on any guided tours, are me and my roomie gonna get hassled for wandering around Tokyo :x?

Yeah it's a nightmare. Be sure to hit up a pawn shop as soon as you land to get a big piece of lumber or something, you're going to need it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

some kinda jackal posted:

if they'll even take your money

Oh yeah they did start installing those gaijin cameras. You might try covering your face.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Well, I didn't want to go too far over the top to not be a huge dick to Cheese Thief, but at the same time I wanted to go sufficiently far over the top to make it obvious it was sarcasm, even though this is the Internet and people have a wide range of absurd and incredibly wrong beliefs.

Looks like I failed!

Japan is super easy to get around as a foreigner. No one will bother you, tattooed or not, unless you go into a bathhouse, in which case you actually will be thrown out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saladman posted:

Well, I didn't want to go too far over the top to not be a huge dick to Cheese Thief, but at the same time I wanted to go sufficiently far over the top to make it obvious it was sarcasm, even though this is the Internet and people have a wide range of absurd and incredibly wrong beliefs.

Looks like I failed!

Japan is super easy to get around as a foreigner. No one will bother you, tattooed or not, unless you go into a bathhouse, in which case you actually will be thrown out.
Not your fault, I'm not great with sarcasm and kind of anxious about travelling right now anyway, given it's the furthest I've ever gone and also the first time I've travelled anywhere in 5 years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You are supposed to carry your passport though, that part's real (not the hotel booking). I've never been checked by the cops but all my darker skinned friends have many times. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

If you go on a tax free shopping spree you'll need it for that too.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 5, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's all in good fun. We all asked 'that' question once. I do all the time.

I'm a weird looking dude with a nose ring and gauges and no one has ever batted an eye to my face. You'll be fine :)

But yeah, the passport thing is serious as everyone's saying. I haven't been stopped yet but I'm fully prepared to be, and not take it personally.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Grand Fromage posted:

You are supposed to carry your passport though, that part's real (not the hotel booking). I've never been checked by the cops but all my darker skinned friends have many times. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

If you go on a tax free shopping spree you'll need it for that too.

I got checked by the cops. They asked for my passport, asked me to take off my shirt and flex, gently caressed my chest, we went on a date to torikizoku and then they let me on my way.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
passport photo + pic of the jp stamp often works too, although technically you are supposed to carry your passport.

It's really rare to be stopped by the police but it does happen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shammypants posted:

I got checked by the cops. They asked for my passport, asked me to take off my shirt and flex, gently caressed my chest, we went on a date to torikizoku and then they let me on my way.

Did they pay?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
BRING A FLASHLIGHT!!!

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I was with a filipino friend and he was stopped by police but once he just pulled out a US passport and they were like, that's fine thank you. They didn't even open it, just saw the face of the passport lol.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Did they pay?

Absolutely not

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Haha my brain was too focused on work/unnecessary worrying about routine blood work to notice the sarcasm. My bad!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Saladman posted:

Have fun and let us know how it goes though! We get almost no trip reports of Americans traveling alone in Japan.

This is very helpful (prayer emoji) I'm adding it to the op.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
And Saladman is usually so helpful, I was telling all my people I was going to be forced to eat out of the snack machine.

I had a friend in Tokyo who sent me a mania spree of messages about how he 'got his weed connection back,' and the key is to 'keep it airtight, ''not wear a hoody,' and 'only sell kilos. No nickle and dimes.' In brief, he disappeared from the internet soon after. I tried to tell him but wouldn't listen. Looking at the law, even ADD meds can't be brought into the country.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cheese Thief posted:

And Saladman is usually so helpful, I was telling all my people I was going to be forced to eat out of the snack machine.

I had a friend in Tokyo who sent me a mania spree of messages about how he 'got his weed connection back,' and the key is to 'keep it airtight, ''not wear a hoody,' and 'only sell kilos. No nickle and dimes.' In brief, he disappeared from the internet soon after. I tried to tell him but wouldn't listen. Looking at the law, even ADD meds can't be brought into the country.

Perscription arthritis medication should be OK, though, right? Do I need to get a doctor's note or something?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 6, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If you mean like Aleve, that's fine. If it's some weird prescription poo poo you might want to look it up. If it's not an opioid or amphetamine it's probably allowed.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

so you're saying take my edibles before I get on the plane?

Mister Chief posted:

Hey, do you have any other northern Japan hikes you can recommend?

Unfortunately I've not been before, I'm just basing my plans off google. If you search stuff like "best hikes tohoku' you'll get some lists from the usual suspects.

cheese eats mouse posted:

DM for restaurant recs if you head to any of these places. You can get made to order senbei in Matsushima and it’s so tasty paired with their matcha soft serve. There’s a cute couple there that runs a Ryokan that needs some renovations but the couple is so nice with cute poodles and the futon is very comfy. Also has a tattoo friendly onsen.

I forgot about Chusonji temple in Iwate, which is way better than the Kyoto golden temple. Only place I found black sesame soft serve too. Go hungry and get wanko soba, which we did not do. There’s another temple that’s a nice walk around too. Not much else in that town.

PS I obviously love ice cream

I will! Unfortunately my body is a machine that turns most shellfish into puking, hives and diarrhea, but I'm keen for regional food recs in general. As a reasonably heavily tattooed individual I hadn't even bothered to look into onsens but a night somewhere with an outdoor bath sounds like heaven after some big hikes.

field balm fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 6, 2024

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Grand Fromage posted:

If you mean like Aleve, that's fine. If it's some weird prescription poo poo you might want to look it up. If it's not an opioid or amphetamine it's probably allowed.

I took an opioid based medication to Japan last month but I did all the necessary paperwork stuff beforehand and got it cleared at customs on the way in. There's some good info here: https://en.japantravel.com/guide/br...e%20medication.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Not your fault, I'm not great with sarcasm and kind of anxious about travelling right now anyway, given it's the furthest I've ever gone and also the first time I've travelled anywhere in 5 years.

Japan got over 20 million tourists in 2023. You ain't special, bud. Keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

bee posted:

I took an opioid based medication to Japan last month but I did all the necessary paperwork stuff beforehand and got it cleared at customs on the way in. There's some good info here: https://en.japantravel.com/guide/br...e%20medication.

I brought medicine in my bag and just.. walked into the country. If you need less than a month worth/bring less than a month worth and have a genuine looking prescription no one cares. There are a few drugs they do care about but they didn't apply to me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
some people have the good stuff, tho

stimulants

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I got the med waiver for my stims NBD. Just brought the form with me, said I had stuff to declare, they looked at the form and my bottles and said ok!

Wellbutrin has some stimulant and banned, plus I was bringing a 2 month supply.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel kind of in a good space that I can afford to wean down and take a concerta holiday for a few weeks without any repercussions. If I needed it to function I'd be biting my nails.

I actually didn't have a good understanding if that's even covered by the import certificate you can apply for, or if they just laugh and send a polite reply, so this is good info.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 6, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I got the med waiver for my stims NBD. Just brought the form with me, said I had stuff to declare, they looked at the form and my bottles and said ok!

Wellbutrin has some stimulant and banned, plus I was bringing a 2 month supply.

This was the experience :a friend with his adhd meds in early 2020. If your meds aren't flat out banned you can get the wavier over the internet in about a day and the inspection on the way in is about 2 minutes.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
If I have to leave the amphetamine salts at home, it would be helpful to bring like a lot of benzos to help with jet lag/stress of getting stuck by a Hori tattoo master for 5 hours a day for 25 hours.

Itinerary might be, Thurs Fri Sat shop in Shibuya, putz around Tokyo,
Sunday visit the spring festival in Takayama,
Monday a way to Gifu City for 11am appointment, stay through Friday
Saturday-Monday ??? Fly home Tuesday, go back to work Thursday.
Seems doable except the Takayama to Gifu City short turn around.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If you’re a foreigner just apply for the waiver it takes a few days max and you can do it online. The form can be buggy but it does work

You don’t even need a note from your doctor, only the pill bottle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

I feel kind of in a good space that I can afford to wean down and take a concerta holiday for a few weeks without any repercussions. If I needed it to function I'd be biting my nails.

I actually didn't have a good understanding if that's even covered by the import certificate you can apply for, or if they just laugh and send a polite reply, so this is good info.

Concerta is legal. Its the amphetamine ones like Adderall that are banned. I don't know if you need the paperwork for it though.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

If you’re a foreigner just apply for the waiver it takes a few days max and you can do it online. The form can be buggy but it does work

You don’t even need a note from your doctor, only the pill bottle.

Yeah my experience with getting the paperwork was pretty smooth. I just emailed everything they asked for with photos and about a week later I got the clearance certificate thing back. I printed it out and the import dude at the airport spent about a minute reading it and looking at the box my medicine was in.

Someone mentioned valium, my doctor had put this on my "current medications" letter he wrote me but when I did the application and sent it to the import authority they replied and said that they didn't care about the valium as long as it wasn't more than a month supply.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

"Month supply" can be a little floppy though. They consider two insulin pens a month supply but I'm on two different kinds so I'd be packing four total, and that leaves me no backups if I lose or fry one.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Concerta is legal. Its the amphetamine ones like Adderall that are banned. I don't know if you need the paperwork for it though.

Basically the non-amphetamine ones are fine if you have 30 days supply or less and don't have more than a certain number of milligrams (which looks like a small amount but is actually shitloads). If you have more than that, you're supposed to fill out paperwork. A bit of googling gets the official website.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

slinkimalinki posted:

Basically the non-amphetamine ones are fine if you have 30 days supply or less and don't have more than a certain number of milligrams (which looks like a small amount but is actually shitloads). If you have more than that, you're supposed to fill out paperwork. A bit of googling gets the official website.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Thanks lol, i was legitimately feeling too lazy to look it up.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Planning a trip to Fukuoka and trying to decide on which onsen town to hit. Kurokawa, Beppu, and Yufuin all seem popular. Looking at the 80-120k/night range for 2 but could be convinced to go higher. In room bath is a plus. Anyone have trip reports/recommendations? First time to Kyushu.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Kurokawa is by far the best of the three if you are willing to spend on it. I recommend Miyama Sanso.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How bad is traveling during Golden Week? I have a friend arriving to Japan on the first week of May and wants to take the Shinkansen to Kyoto on Thursday, May 2nd or Friday, May 3rd.

Is it more that's it's extra crowded or more that he won't be able to buy the bullet train tickets since it'll be sold out?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

How bad is traveling during Golden Week? I have a friend arriving to Japan on the first week of May and wants to take the Shinkansen to Kyoto on Thursday, May 2nd or Friday, May 3rd.

Is it more that's it's extra crowded or more that he won't be able to buy the bullet train tickets since it'll be sold out?

Had to stand/sit on our luggage in the train car with the bathroom/vending machine pretty much the whole shinkansen trip from Hiroshima to Sapporo because tickets were sold out. Book in advance!

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

EDIT: Misread the dates of this year's GW.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This year, the fastest trains (Nozomi) will only have reserved seats during Golden Week

quote:

JR Central and West alluded to this back in September, when they announced they would not be offering unreserved seats on Nozomi trains during the then-upcoming New Year’s period and were planning the same for other heavy travel times. The policy has now been officially formalized for April 26 through May 6 of this year and affects all Nozomi trains along the Tokaido and Sanyo lines, the most popular shinkansen route which connects Tokyo and Hakata (Fukuoka), with stops in Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima along the way.

Friday the 3rd will be the worse day, as that is a very long weekend (Friday and Monday both holidays this year).