Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I’m definitely concerned about the budget

I don’t know who is spending hundreds of dollars per diem, that’s wild.

It sounds like they'll also be paying for trains and maybe some hotels out of this for two people. And according to op, it comes out to 80/day. Even if it's per person, that's pretty reasonable. More than I usually tell people to budget, especially with the weak yen, but within reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

harperdc posted:

Yeah, the concern isn’t the budget but in handling it in cash.

I didn't read that post as "I am going to carry 500,000 cash on me at all times." Clearly you're going to keep it locked in the hotel safe and take what you need with you. Yea, you can stop multiple times for cash (but this often sucks, and is a waste of time) but it isn't necessary as Japanese hotels are safe and also your gear on a trip is likely more than 3500. My camera, lenses, our computers, Switch and my wife's purse are a lot more than 3500, and if I am not terrified at the thought of leaving that in the safe or even the room, some cash isn't a problem either.

Ultimately I think the need for cash is kind of overblown. Most tourists are shopping at places that take cards anyway and eating at restaurants that take cards for a majority of the trip.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

It sounds like they'll also be paying for trains and maybe some hotels out of this for two people. And according to op, it comes out to 80/day. Even if it's per person, that's pretty reasonable. More than I usually tell people to budget, especially with the weak yen, but within reason.

Yeah $80/pp/day is a super reasonable budget for 2 people sharing lodging. It's just that most of $160/day is going to be spent on the hotel and trains, which you pay by card, so bringing the entire $160*#days in cash seems excessively anxious. I've done trips to countries that do not have international banking access where we paid for 100% of everything in cash on the spot (hotels, rental car, etc), it's just very annoying. Like we spent €3k in 3 weeks in Algeria last year and had to do the entire thing by cash in Algerian dinars - and their largest bill is worth €9.

I definitely wouldn't carry a full trips' expenditures worth of cash as a "backup" in normal countries where you can use credit cards and ATMs, but I guess not the end of the world.

zmcnulty posted:

Not a tourist but this did kinda happen to me. I was at a poolside party, got in the pool, and when I went back to where me and my friends were, all my stuff was gone. Like, ALL my stuff: friends, phone, wallet, house keys, my drat t-shirt.

I thought they went back to the station and were waiting for me, so I went and waited until last train. They never showed. I started asking randos for change so I could make a phone call.

Those people seem like, uhh, not your friends. Unless you were all extremely drunk and/or something dramatic suddenly happened that caused all your acquaintances to suddenly peace out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know what Japanese cash can get hosed? Anything less than a 100y coin.

I'm randomly finding that garbage in my pockets for like three months after my trip. Dumped everything I thought I had into the receptacles at Haneda and I'm still plagued by it.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Having to print documents and send them to AAA with a physical check for $20 and passport photos in order to obtain an International Driving Permit that still requires my US driver's licence is the definition of archaic.

Someone please confirm this is actually necessary for a rental car, it feels like a joke

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I guess if you don't have a local AAA office. You do need the permit to rent a car, but I just went to one of the AAAs in town and it took about twenty minutes.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Oh good deal, it wasn't clear if it was able to be resolved in person or if the office just mailed it off somewhere anyway. I'll call a few of the places nearby

Thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The actual IDP is just a translation of your US license with your photo, signed by Debbie in Florida.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm randomly finding that garbage in my pockets for like three months after my trip. Dumped everything I thought I had into the receptacles at Haneda and I'm still plagued by it.

Change wallet with two sections, one for 100s/500s and one for small change. Space for all those super necessary point cards. This is the way.

root of all eval posted:

Oh good deal, it wasn't clear if it was able to be resolved in person or if the office just mailed it off somewhere anyway. I'll call a few of the places nearby

Thanks!

Yeah I just went to my local AAA office and got the IDP before I moved to Japan. It’s necessary. Don’t think anybody can just arrive in Japan and use their home license without at least a translation, and the ‘just a translation’ group of countries is very small.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

some kinda jackal posted:

One of my favourite Japan stories is an American friend of mine who just threw every coin he got in a big jar for his year in Japan (this was in the 2000s) because he hated dealing with change. Took it to the bank when he went to leave and it was like USD$2k.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

One of my favourite Japan stories is an American friend of mine who just threw every coin he got in a big jar for his year in Japan (this was in the 2000s) because he hated dealing with change. Took it to the bank when he went to leave and it was like USD$2k.

1400 in 3 years. Late 2000s

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A friend gave me their "I don't do coins" jar in Korea, I never counted it but it covered my bus fare for a year or so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I have one who did that with I think 500 yen coins, and he had enough to pay for freight shipping his and his partner's stuff back to the UK once he moved home.

it was a pretty big jar by the end of it.

also my old JET apartment had a sizeable bucket of pachinko parlor balls in it for reasons that I never knew. but that place had been 'the JET's apartment' for over a decade by that point, so who knows.

Zettace posted:

I understand why getting small change is annoying but I never had the problem where it accumulated. Small coins are so easy to use. You don't have to pay everything in small coins just chuck a couple of 10 yen or 5/1 yen coins so you get back a 100 yen coin instead of 89 yen.

This is how the locals do it - round it off to get better change

harperdc fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 18, 2024

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I understand why getting small change is annoying but I never had the problem where it accumulated. Small coins are so easy to use. You don't have to pay everything in small coins just chuck a couple of 10 yen or 5/1 yen coins so you get back a 100 yen coin instead of 89 yen.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

On JET I kept a jar of random coins and eventually dropped them all in an ATM that had a coin slot.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Common sense isn't common

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

harperdc posted:

This is how the locals do it - round it off to get better change

Do this, everyone. The cashiers are used to it, and it's good mental practice too.

Also, "never pay with coins and throw all coins in a jar", so you'd buy a bottle of water in a vending machine, pay with 1000 yen, and dump 880 yen into the jar? That's some expensive water.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is American Express really universal in Japan though? I saw some reservation pages that didn't have it listed, but pretty much everyone had Mastercard and Visa listed.

Very common, I main an AMEX and 99% of transactions are fine with it, only very rarely will a store not support it.

Both AMEX and Diners run on the JCB network here.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

nielsm posted:

Do this, everyone. The cashiers are used to it, and it's good mental practice too.

Also, "never pay with coins and throw all coins in a jar", so you'd buy a bottle of water in a vending machine, pay with 1000 yen, and dump 880 yen into the jar? That's some expensive water.

Yep! Then I get a surprise 880 yen around 5 years later.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Jesus, if you're that lazy, throw the coins on an IC and pay for stuff with that.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It is funny when your tourist friend gets their mind blown when you pay 1022 yen for a 922 yen purchase. You get this look of "you're allowed to do that????"

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Zettace posted:

It is funny when your tourist friend gets their mind blown when you pay 1022 yen for a 922 yen purchase. You get this look of "you're allowed to do that????"

You don't do that in the US? I mean, in Europe we do it all the time too - give 10,22€ for a 9,22€ purchase to get 1€ back :v:

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
It's done in the US, but there is definitely a generational divide. I try to stay away from using cash in the US because if the register is being run by someone under 25 they might BSOD.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Otoh I did that in the US and got a nod of appproval from the grizzled biker casheir so I felt very accomplished.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Plus in the US it's virtually impossible to anticipate a precise total on anything. If I weren't intimately familiar with the currency and how much I have I would just emotionally fold lol

Add on the cultural impatience for lines/queues and you get folks like me that will just stuff cash back bills in the first pocket to leave the zone of commerce as fast as humanly possible out of perceived guilt toward others.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to be honest with you, I deal with cash like once a year if that. It never even occurred to me to just do some math to throw coins in to get a non-poo poo coin back.

I'm at that weird point where I used to think I was living in the future because I could tap my card to pay for something, nut now if my watch is freaking out and I can't pay for my coffee by waving my arm in front of a box like some kind of wizard, going back to pulling put a plastic card from my wallet feels like I've reverted back to medieval times. If I actually have to insert it and punch in a PIN I might as well be banging rocks and stick together for fire.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 18, 2024

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

When I left Japan in March and had a whole pocket full of stupid little coins and there was nowhere to dump them in the airport (no charity box or anything!) I just gave them to an old security guard who walked away with a smile on his face

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I did end up making lemonade out of the lemons and bought one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIN7aD7TyXs

so every time I find a coin I toss it in there and get a fun little train nerd reward.

e: It looks like Pasmo machines have an "all your coins pls" garbage chute which is immensely useful. I would absolutely just dump my pocket contents into a machine and charge my phone's Suica going forward..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 18, 2024

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Gabriel Grub posted:

It's done in the US, but there is definitely a generational divide. I try to stay away from using cash in the US because if the register is being run by someone under 25 they might BSOD.

It's also because all coins are garbage in the US. Like even a bunch of quarters is barely even worth the effort, and everything less than that is completely trash. In most if not all European countries, some coins actually have value. Like, Switzerland uses coins worth $6, which even with Swiss prices are not worthless.

It's actually kind of a relief in the US in that you can spend a lifetime dumping all your coins into the nearest tip jar or incinerator and not worry about it ever adding up to anything.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't think I've paid for anything in cash in the US for years and years.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

peanut posted:

Common sense isn't common

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I forgot which combini it was, but they had machines where, if you picked the option to pay by cash at the register, you just dumped your coins and it told you how much you had left. Great way to just get rid of all the low value coins without having to even count.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Freaksaus posted:

I forgot which combini it was, but they had machines where, if you picked the option to pay by cash at the register, you just dumped your coins and it told you how much you had left. Great way to just get rid of all the low value coins without having to even count.

A lot of 7/11s have that. I also used it to dump my coins if I wasn't going to be holding up a line.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

One of my friends had amassed a giant bag of coins during his holiday here and I told him to just dump them into that machine at 7/11. There were so many coins that it actually clogged up the machine and it stopped working, the person working behind the counter just opened it up and fixed it and let him continue though. Highly recommend doing it to pay for your last minute ice creams or something!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I miss Family Mart so much. Coffee, onigiri, souffle for £3 and it was delicious

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

A lot of 7/11s have that. I also used it to dump my coins if I wasn't going to be holding up a line.

Pretty much all the grocery stores with self checkouts will let you do that too.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
It might sound lame as heck but do any of y'all know where to maybe look for cheaper sukajan like..maybe a particular Tokyo district? I dunno they look cool and I love the bomber jacket look :nyoron:

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Only white person who ever pulled off a sukajan is Rachel McAdams in Game Night.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It used to be Ameyoko, then it was Nakameguro, and now it's probably back to Ameyoko again.

Asakusa side streets also have a lot of everything including those Kewpie dolls with yakuza tattoos
https://maps.app.goo.gl/85oN4MsyiHeoG7AR9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Gabriel Grub posted:

Only white person who ever pulled off a sukajan is Rachel McAdams in Game Night.

I mean, other white people who could definitely pull it off:

• Ana de Armas
• Jason Momoa
• Eiza Gonzalez
• Jason Statham

etc.

It's actually really easy to pull it off as a style: all you have to do is be really, really, really ridiculously good looking. There's even a whole Ben Stiller documentary on that concept which came out way back in 2001.