Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's fine, Kyoto is basically a commonwealth colony at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

peanut posted:

It's fine, Kyoto is basically a commonwealth colony at this point.

Wait, is it full of Aussies?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Wait, is it full of Aussies?

Not IME, but finding someone who speaks English in Kyoto is about as difficult as finding an English speaker in Munich, Montreal, or Glasgow.

Anywhere else, even if ryokan hosts don't speak English, they will be quite well versed in playing charades with foreign tourists.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

poo poo

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Your avatar is Greig Laidlaw who is incomprehensible to native English speaks and lived in Japan for multiple years.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You do not need to speak even a single alphabet letter of Japanese to visit Japan for as long as you want and for some people it might actually make the experience better than if you tried to duolingo your way into various pathetic and confusing encounters with the natives

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got by entirely by parroting arigato gozaimashita back at anyone who said it to me regardless of whether or not it’s the correct use of that second part because I haven’t got a loving clue, and people mostly just smiled and nodded.

Going back next week for another 3 week trip and I still don’t know anything except that, feels good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been living off travel videos for the past three weeks and November can't come soon enough. Dang it.

Every year I think "maybe something other than Japan next time" and.. welp..

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

History Comes Inside! posted:

I got by entirely by parroting arigato gozaimashita back at anyone who said it to me regardless of whether or not it’s the correct use of that second part because I haven’t got a loving clue, and people mostly just smiled and nodded.

Going back next week for another 3 week trip and I still don’t know anything except that, feels good.

daijoubu

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hai :shobon:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Aramoro posted:

We have vauge plans just now to visit Japan next year and our thoughts are towards going to Kyoto and surrounding area, my wife is into textiles, and since mountain hikes staying at Ryokans if possible.

How realistic is this if we have just incredibly basic Japanese by the time we get there? I'm not gifted with languages, and my Latin will not help me, my wife is good but still it's going to be rudimentary at best.

We were in Kyoto for a week when we went to Japan last year and it was loving amazing for the things you're looking for. There's cool specialty shops that have rad textiles, or local folk/traditionally made textile stuff. Just to echo what others said already, our Japanese knowledge is that we can sorta read hiragana and my partner can like, order food, and even that very basic stuff was more than enough to get by everywhere we went.

We stayed at this ryokan for a night:
http://yoshimizu.com/english/kyoto/

It was pretty rad tbf, it's towards the top of Maruyama Park. A car can bring you up but it's awesome to walk up as the park is nice kinda sorta hike and you pass small shrines/etc., temple grounds, and a small bit of residences on the way up. Great "we are horror movie protagonists this is fine" final approach if you go back at sunset/evening.

Anyway it's not like it's that out there, it's in the middle of the park, but the way it's situated really does feel like you're out there lol. The owner was insanely nice and let us check out some small shrines further up past it too and a great view and he has some pre-made goshuin for the shrine grounds the place is adjacent to too.

There's amusingly a quiet $$$$$ sushi place right next to it but we didn't bother, a lot more fun to just wander back down and eat wherever.

Also we did't run into any but if you go hiking...

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 30, 2024

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The monkey park in Arashiyama is a safe place to see monkeys. It's 20 minutes up the trail to the top of the mountain so it's closed on rainy days.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Can anyone recommend a Tokyo metro app that shows the whole subway at a glance in an abstract way? I like how MetroMan does it for Beijing and other Chinese cities since it is clean and easy to read to orient myself.

I know people recommend Google Maps, but I think that’s much more suited for finding out how to specifically get from Point A to Point B.

What I need is something like this:

Not this:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This one:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tokyo-metro-subway-map/id470842144

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This one

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Or this one, lol, lmao

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Perfect! :discourse: Just what I was looking for, thanks!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In summary

quote:

Public transport within Greater Tokyo is dominated by the world's most extensive urban rail network (as of May 2014, the article Tokyo rail list lists 158 lines, 48 operators, 4,714.5 km of operational track and 2,210 stations [although stations are recounted for each operator]) of suburban trains and subways run by a variety of operators, with buses, trams, monorails, and other modes supporting the railway lines. The above figures do not include any Shinkansen services.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Can anyone recommend a Tokyo metro app that shows the whole subway at a glance in an abstract way? I like how MetroMan does it for Beijing and other Chinese cities since it is clean and easy to read to orient myself.

I know people recommend Google Maps, but I think that’s much more suited for finding out how to specifically get from Point A to Point B.

Tokyo Metro is just one/two of like a dozen train services serving the city. It of course all depends on where you need to go, but an app that covers all available lines will typically give the best guidance.

As such, I’d suggest this one:
https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/japan-travel-route-map-guide/id686373726?l=en-US

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Now I'm trying to find a map with all 200 exits of Shinjuku station, but human technology hasn't found a way to imbed this information in a 2D image yet

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

Now I'm trying to find a map with all 200 exits of Shinjuku station, but human technology hasn't found a way to imbed this information in a 2D image yet

Please be sure it includes all other stations which are connected to it via walking without going outside.

This includes at least seibu-shinjuku, Shinjuku-sanchome, tochomae, and potentially nishishinjuku.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

We were in Kyoto for a week when we went to Japan last year and it was loving amazing for the things you're looking for. There's cool specialty shops that have rad textiles, or local folk/traditionally made textile stuff. Just to echo what others said already, our Japanese knowledge is that we can sorta read hiragana and my partner can like, order food, and even that very basic stuff was more than enough to get by everywhere we went.

We stayed at this ryokan for a night:
http://yoshimizu.com/english/kyoto/

It was pretty rad tbf, it's towards the top of Maruyama Park. A car can bring you up but it's awesome to walk up as the park is nice kinda sorta hike and you pass small shrines/etc., temple grounds, and a small bit of residences on the way up. Great "we are horror movie protagonists this is fine" final approach if you go back at sunset/evening.

Anyway it's not like it's that out there, it's in the middle of the park, but the way it's situated really does feel like you're out there lol. The owner was insanely nice and let us check out some small shrines further up past it too and a great view and he has some pre-made goshuin for the shrine grounds the place is adjacent to too.

There's amusingly a quiet $$$$$ sushi place right next to it but we didn't bother, a lot more fun to just wander back down and eat wherever.

What was the bath situation like? I can see it's shared and people are meant to take turns but did that seem to work smoothly?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

peanut posted:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/shinjukudungeon/id650438517

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

peanut posted:

I swear Ikebukuro station is a lot more confusing to me than Shinjuku. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, or its a sign that I've completely naturalized into the Shinjuku life but I never get lost at Shinjuku.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I kind of got the "gist" of Shinjuku after a few visits so I'm usually headed in the right direction and emerge at a reasonably close exit.

Now the last time I tried to get anywhere after arriving at Tokyo stn I am pretty sure after 30 minutes I was huddled in a corner rocking back and forth mumbling something about dying in this maze, alone and unloved.

e: I'm still alone and unloved, but I did survive to tell the tale.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

This is amazing

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I was thinking of getting tickets to these TeamLab things - but there are two in Tokyo. Which is better, Planets or Borderless? Or are they soo good they're worth going to both?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Comrade Fakename posted:

I was thinking of getting tickets to these TeamLab things - but there are two in Tokyo. Which is better, Planets or Borderless? Or are they soo good they're worth going to both?

Borderless is great. Planets is boring.

Borderless is large with stuff to see and do everywhere. It's so full of stuff it is easy to get lost and miss things.
Planets is basically 8 exhibits connected with black hallways and only a few of them are interesting.

Also, if you go on the right/wrong day, planets smells like feet. In multiple rooms. One in particular is really really bad.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I thought Planets was cool when I saw it but this was literally pre COVID so maybe over the years foot smell has just taken over. I think Borderless is the best, followed by Planets, then Osaka Botanical Garden.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

some kinda jackal posted:

I did survive to tell the tale.

This is ripe for the horror movie twist where you finish your shower, pull back the curtain and you're STILL IN SHINJUKU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

peanut posted:

This is cool tho https://satoshi7190.github.io/Shinjuku-indoor-threejs-demo/

Archer666 posted:

I swear Ikebukuro station is a lot more confusing to me than Shinjuku.

I'm with you. Shinjuku is third after Hakata and Ikebukuro.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

This one

It looks like the grandfather of the London Underground :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:perfect:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

peanut posted:

This one

All this makes me want to do is figure out a ridiculously roundabout but not entirely unreasonably out of the way set of connections to get somewhere.

Like I'm going to be staying in the Tamachi area and I plan to hit Disney again so I feel like I could take the JR to Osaki, then the Rinkai to Shinkiba before finally hitting the Keiyo to Maihama.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
itym the Tokyo Rinkai Kosoku Tetsudo Rinkai Line

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

ntan1 posted:

itym the Tokyo Rinkai Kosoku Tetsudo Rinkai Line

For reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkcrGzYhAek

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
We stayed in a hotel right next to Nishinjuku Station last year and used both that and Shinjuku station a lot and... it was really not that hard to navigate? There are signs everywhere in English that say which direction you're going to. I can believe it was more difficult pre-Tokyo Olympics, but in 2023 it was like... super straightforward. For people who have never seen a large train station before, like people coming from non-NE-Coast-United States, maybe it is confusing. Like there were signs everywhere telling you "this way central west exit" and "this way south exit" "this way central east exit", and if you don't know if you're trying to get to the west or east side of the station, then I think you're poo poo out of luck for navigation help.

E: Well, this was already 2017 and it was pretty obvious:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.691...i6656?entry=ttu

Maybe the signage off the platforms was worse at some point. For us it was super easy to just follow the signs to the correct line / correct exit every time.

E2: Alright maybe downstairs used to be more confusing, from 2016:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.688...i6656?entry=ttu

You'd have to know what the "koshu-kaido gate" or "miraina tower gate" was, instead of it just telling you east, west, south, central, etc. Pretty sure everything now just gives you cardinal directions, or maybe we were just lucky and never had an issue with signs telling us "this way west exit".

Saladman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 30, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It used to be much more confusing. The signage at all the major stations is really easy now. . Especially when you understand how to read them. But for a first timer, it can be a bit much.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Even in that first image, like

What does 1.2 mean and why is that different from 1-4 and 1.2.4. Also what direction are the arrows actually pointing to?

Yes I can navigate Shinjuku station with no problems, but given that it's a large station with many people walking through it really fast, a lot of people will face information overload and not be able to process everything.

But also, an example issue that I faced was that the folks i was leading wanted to get from the Shinjuku line to the Shinjuku Isetan, which there isnt good signage for. Of course I know that the toei lines deposit you on the west side of shinjuku station so you have to cross under the JR line and then follow signs for the Marunouchi line which will then connect to an underground passageway, but that's really not obvious for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ntan1 posted:

Even in that [second] image, like

What does 1.2 mean and why is that different from 1-4 and 1.2.4. Also what direction are the arrows actually pointing to?

Yeah, that underground one is definitely confusing - although that was taken in 2016. I assume that "1•2•4" means "1 and 2 and 4, but not 3" whereas "1~4" means "1 through 4" but who knows why 3 is missing. I might also be wrong! But I'm also pretty sure it's not like that anymore. We switched between JR lines and various different Tokyo transit company lines, which was very mildly confusing but never to the point where we had to ask someone.

What we did get confused was sometimes you had two tickets, and had to use the two tickets successively in different gates, when using the Shinkansen. We thought the first time we got them that one was just a receipt and the other was the actual ticket.