Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

Also, weird stuff like owl cafes and poo poo like that.

Go to the Meguro Parasitological Museum.

〜 Try to think about parasites without a feeling of fear, and take the time to learn about their wonderful world of the Parasites. 〜

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Vidaeus posted:

What kind of interesting/whacky/cool placess are there to visit in Tokyo? I am travelling there with my wife, we will be there from Sunday 20/03 to Saturday 26/03. We're staying at an apartment near Tokyo Tower. So far, the stuff we want/have booked to see is:
Studio Ghibli Museum
Gardens/parks (recommendations?)

Interested in seeing cultural/historical/engineering stuff. Also, weird stuff like owl cafes and poo poo like that.

If you're going to Ghibli, it's worth heading to Inokashira Park before or after. And there's an owl cafe in Kichijoji (one stop from Mitaka, where the museum is; http://owlvillage.jp/).

For weird stuff, this is a reasonable introduction I think: http://www.klook.com/blog/10-weirdest-cafes-in-tokyo-and-where-to-find-them/

Also: http://www.timeout.com/tokyo/nightlife/tokyo-cabaret-pubs

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Vidaeus posted:

What kind of interesting/whacky/cool placess are there to visit in Tokyo? I am travelling there with my wife, we will be there from Sunday 20/03 to Saturday 26/03. We're staying at an apartment near Tokyo Tower. So far, the stuff we want/have booked to see is:
Disneyland
Studio Ghibli Museum
Pokemon museum
Tsukiji fish market
Imperial palace
Tea ceremony (anyone recommend a place?)
Ninja Akasaka restaurant
Gardens/parks (recommendations?)
Temples (recommendations?)
Akihabara

Interested in seeing cultural/historical/engineering stuff. Also, weird stuff like owl cafes and poo poo like that.

Great post. As other people have said, there's Asakusa - It's the temple district. Eat In Nakasei.

As for Gardens, Shinjuku park is great, and of course Ueno.
Fish Market, avoid Sushi Dai or the other places with super long lines. There are lots of other alternatives. And don't eat Sushi Zanmai when you are in Tsukiji.

6 days and your itinerary should have more than enough stuff to do. Also do check out Shibuya

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
HEY GOONS I JUST BOUGHT TICKETS TO TOKYO! AGAIN! FOR THE NTH TIME!

GOOOOOOON MEEEEEEEEEEET :neckbeard:

We had Mexican food. We had all you can eat hot pot. What else do you guys want?

Also, I'm looking for some Hakone recommendations for private bath - 2 nights. I don't mind spending more money for a more "authentic" place which uses cancer sulphur water run by a family with 500 years of Patriarchy baggage.

caberham fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 29, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
http://www.gorakadan.com/en/gorakadan/guestroom/room04.html

72 000 yen a night. Mother fucker why do you have to be so expensive Japan :qq:

Welp too late. All full. I blame mainlanders

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

I blame mainlanders

...of course you do lol

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

HEY GOONS I JUST BOUGHT TICKETS TO TOKYO! AGAIN! FOR THE NTH TIME!

GOOOOOOON MEEEEEEEEEEET :neckbeard:

We had Mexican food. We had all you can eat hot pot. What else do you guys want?

Also, I'm looking for some Hakone recommendations for private bath - 2 nights. I don't mind spending more money for a more "authentic" place which uses cancer sulphur water run by a family with 500 years of Patriarchy baggage.

Hello when will you be there

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ugh, I should have booked my Airbnbs 2 weeks ago. Found some places, just waiting for confirmation on 2 of them. Balls.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Righto, thanks everyone for the Tokyo tips.

Nikko temple sounds great.
We're already booked for Disneysea on a Thursday
I'll probably avoid the maid cafe/girl ear cleaning stuff. I'm travelling with my wife and she gets super jealous of stuff like that.
Aredna: What's the tip about leaving your cash/cards at home for? Is there dodgy stuff?
Samurai museum sounds cool, also the website shows it close to a Godzilla building - is that the Godzilla hotel I've seen on the internet? If so, that's awesome! What's the robot restaurant called?
Parasite museum? Not really keen on that. A little squeamish, we probably wouldn't enjoy it.
DoscoJ: Thanks for the advice for stuff near the Ghibli museum, might as well go there since we'll be in the area.
Caberham: Thanks for the fish market and gardens advice.

Tokyo is actually only part of the trip. We're also going to be in Sapporo for 3 nights before Tokyo, then Hiroshima for 3 nights after, then Osaka for 3 nights then in Yokosuka for 4 nights (have a friend that lives there). Pretty much have enough stuff to fill in the other parts of our trip. But if people have more suggestions this is what I had planned:

Sapporo 17th March to 19 March
Skiing/snowboarding at one of the ski areas close to the city (we're both beginners)
Sapporo beer museum
General look around town

Tokyo 20 March to 26 March
Already discussed

Hiroshima 27 March to 29 March
Peace memorial
Miyajima Island
Sandankyo gorge
Cherry blossoms

Osaka 30 March to 1 April
Kyoto day trip - Kinkakuji, Kyoto castle, any other good spots?
Osaka castle
Cherry blossoms
Eating, there's that food area near some big tower?
General look around the city

Yokosuka 2 April to 6 April
Kawazaki penis festival
Day trip to one of the lakes near Fuji
Cherry blossoms
Not sure what else

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Add the Mazda Tour for Hiroshima, it's pretty neat!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hey peanut,

When's the best time to visit Shikoku? Also, I'm an onsen/mountain/nature person more than a sea/beach person do you have any recommendations for onsen towns? Do you know any good tourism websites for Shikoku (JP ok).

Im already going to be in Kyushu in spring and then Hokkaido/West Tohoku/Tsurugaoka/etc. in October, but I feel next year it's either going to be Chuubu/Chuugoku or Shikoku.

thx.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

caberham posted:

Great post. As other people have said, there's Asakusa - It's the temple district. Eat In Nakasei.

As for Gardens, Shinjuku park is great, and of course Ueno.
Fish Market, avoid Sushi Dai or the other places with super long lines. There are lots of other alternatives. And don't eat Sushi Zanmai when you are in Tsukiji.

6 days and your itinerary should have more than enough stuff to do. Also do check out Shibuya

Who are you? I think someone hijacked the original persons account because you used to tell everyone to go to Sushi Zanmai in Tsukiji.

Also - wtf don't go to Shinjuku park. It is VERY different than Shinjuku-Gyoen. The former is where you go to see homeless people while the latter is beautiful.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Vidaeus posted:

Osaka castle
Cherry blossoms

I'd spend a little more time in Kyoto. Fushimi Inari (place with all the gates) and Arashiyama (bamboo groves, monkeys, more temples, etc.) are cool places. Check japan-guide.com.

Osaka Castle is a reconstruction so though it looks good on the outside, the inside is pretty modern. If you want to see something more historically accurate, there's himeji (between Hiroshima and Osaka by Shinkansen) and Hikone (not too far from Kyoto).

For Osaka, I'd recommend the Umeda Sky Building and Namba Parks.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

DiscoJ posted:

I'd spend a little more time in Kyoto. Fushimi Inari (place with all the gates) and Arashiyama (bamboo groves, monkeys, more temples, etc.) are cool places. Check japan-guide.com.

Osaka Castle is a reconstruction so though it looks good on the outside, the inside is pretty modern. If you want to see something more historically accurate, there's himeji (between Hiroshima and Osaka by Shinkansen) and Hikone (not too far from Kyoto).

For Osaka, I'd recommend the Umeda Sky Building and Namba Parks.

Thanks dude, would it be doable for a day trip from Osaka to Kyoto to see Kinkakuji, and the other stuff you mentioned?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think the slowest you can go from Osaka to Kyoto is like 60 minutes. I think it's fairly equidistant compared to Nara.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Hey peanut,

When's the best time to visit Shikoku? Also, I'm an onsen/mountain/nature person more than a sea/beach person do you have any recommendations for onsen towns? Do you know any good tourism websites for Shikoku (JP ok).

Im already going to be in Kyushu in spring and then Hokkaido/West Tohoku/Tsurugaoka/etc. in October, but I feel next year it's either going to be Chuubu/Chuugoku or Shikoku.

thx.

Hello! I recommend now through May to avoid mosquitoes, or October for festivals in Ehime. There's not too many onsen on Shikoku, but Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama is the oldest, and Iya Valley in Tokushima has all the onsen ryokan (and Kazura-bashi bridge). We stay at Nagoma on Oshima (Imabari) at least once a year (not real onsen water but the food is excellent).
There are some cool temples on the 88 pilgrimage like Ishiteji, Sankakuji, Zentsuji...
Ride a bike across Shimanami Kaido.
My town has MINETOPIA if you like bubble era money drains. There's also a new art museum but please don't come just for that :sadpeanut:
Summer offers rafting (Happy Raft), Yosakoi, Awa Odori and 90% humidity!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I will land in Narita Mar 28 night, Will go to Hakone 29 - 31. Then stay in Tokyo until 6th.

peanut posted:

Hello! I recommend now through May to avoid mosquitoes, or October for festivals in Ehime. There's not too many onsen on Shikoku, but Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama is the oldest, and Iya Valley in Tokushima has all the onsen ryokan (and Kazura-bashi bridge). We stay at Nagoma on Oshima (Imabari) at least once a year (not real onsen water but the food is excellent).
There are some cool temples on the 88 pilgrimage like Ishiteji, Sankakuji, Zentsuji...
Ride a bike across Shimanami Kaido.
My town has MINETOPIA if you like bubble era money drains. There's also a new art museum but please don't come just for that :sadpeanut:
Summer offers rafting (Happy Raft), Yosakoi, Awa Odori and 90% humidity!

I also heartily recommend going to Saijo and riding Peanut's kei car or renting a car. I do want to go to Shikoku again, but you are much better off with a car

Aredna posted:

Who are you? I think someone hijacked the original persons account because you used to tell everyone to go to Sushi Zanmai in Tsukiji.

Also - wtf don't go to Shinjuku park. It is VERY different than Shinjuku-Gyoen. The former is where you go to see homeless people while the latter is beautiful.

I'm a changed man, I won't be drinking alcohol this time!

I still like sushi zanmai, just not in Tsukiji :ohdear:

Nowadays I shill for Sushi Ichiyanagi. http://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1301/A130101/13156961/

Also Kyubei http://www.kyubey.jp/en

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A very good PLZ HELP post.

Vidaeus posted:

Righto, thanks everyone for the Tokyo tips.

Nikko temple sounds great.
We're already booked for Disneysea on a Thursday
I'll probably avoid the maid cafe/girl ear cleaning stuff. I'm travelling with my wife and she gets super jealous of stuff like that.
Aredna: What's the tip about leaving your cash/cards at home for? Is there dodgy stuff?

There's no dodgy stuff in Japan unless you are actively seeking it out. It's a cash based society so have lots of cash ready. Nikko is great, but I recommend spending a night there, you can go there for a day trip but it's really rushed unless you stay near Asakusa. Lake Chuzenji is also beautiful. However, skip Nikko if you are planning on going to Kyoto/don't know much about Buddhism/Japanese history. Instead of going to a maid cafe, you should take your wife to a butler cafe. Then lord over her how not jealous you are (comedy)

quote:

Sapporo 17th March to 19 March
Skiing/snowboarding at one of the ski areas close to the city (we're both beginners)
Sapporo beer museum
General look around town

Beer museum is decent. But I like the craft brew in Tokyo a lot more. Sapporo is a great landing city because it's a giant grid just like North America. I recommend learning skiing before going to Japan, you just save a lot more time and it's much better value than spending a whole day falling and getting tired. There's also the Shiroi Kobito factory - famous cookie place (which you can buy in all airports)

Osaka castle
Cherry blossoms
[/b]

Honestly, since you are already visiting all those other cites and spending time in Tokyo, I would skip Osaka and spend more time in Kyoto/Nara.

Yokosuka 2 April to 6 April
Kawazaki penis festival
Day trip to one of the lakes near Fuji
Cherry blossoms
Not sure what else
[/quote]

GOOOOOOON MEEEEEEEEEEET

Actually your itinerary looks pretty solid but it seems you are packing in a lot of stuff. Especially when you are traveling with a spouse. If you are normally fine being nimble and doing things back to back then great. If not, it can be a bit of a schlep packing bags every other day

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak
I'm here (edit: tokyo, around shibuya/shinjuku) until mid April and would like to get drunk/play monster hunter with goons also I can be your waifu for a day ok thanks!

Anemone fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 1, 2016

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I went to a Gundam Cafe yesterday lol the food was meh and the coffee was meh but the staff wore uniforms and it was a chill place for my kid to take a nap

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Comment about dodgy stuff was if you follow touts - especially in roppongi or kabukicho. If someone is recruiting you for a place - dont follow them unless you know wtf you are getting yourself into

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't follow touts anywhere!

Gundam cafe was awesome. I watched a whole hour of opening and closing scenes of different GUNDAM with my girlfriend. It was ~~~bliss~~~

APRIL 2ND saturday goon meet? Let's do it. Maybe do penis festival by day? dickbuttt

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Warning: I'm an undercover tout and will waste all your money. Come to my club. Titties and beer. Etc

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lmfao if you don't go to their clubs.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
They can be fun - but you better leave your cash and cards at home or be experienced

I can be your your guide of roppongi - and find you what you want - for better or worse!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Aredna posted:

They can be fun - but you better leave your cash and cards at home or be experienced

I can be your your guide of roppongi - and find you what you want - for better or worse!

party and drink until 5am and eating Wendy's. IT'S TOO MUCH

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

We'll (wife and I) be in Tokyo March 28 to Apr 2 and would like to hang out with other goons. We were looking at the penis festival too but really anytime should be good.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

caberham posted:

party and drink until 5am and eating Wendy's. IT'S TOO MUCH
The Roppongi Wendy's actually closed down about a year ago. It's just the one near Akebonobashi or whatever near Shinjuku.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

leather fedora posted:

The Roppongi Wendy's actually closed down about a year ago. It's just the one near Akebonobashi or whatever near Shinjuku.

Really? Pretty sure I had Wendy's in Roppongi like a month ago.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Well, maybe it wasn't an entire year ago, but it was quite a while back. I know for certain it's gone now though.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
How wrong you are

They moved locations but it's still there

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

leather fedora posted:

Well, maybe it wasn't an entire year ago, but it was quite a while back. I know for certain it's gone now though.

It combined with the First Kitchen near the crossing.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Went there last month for a Frosty. They don't sell Frostys. gently caress Wendy's.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Alright, I'll be In Yokosuka for 2 weeks for work 18-29 April (I'm a Capt. in the AF) and then I'll have 30 days of vacation I HAVE to take somewhere, so I figure I'll take it in Japan since the govt. is already paying for my flight. If you were a dude who had 1.5 months to burn in Japan and spoke no Japanese but wanted to see sights and make new drinking friends what would you do?

I spent a week in Tokyo and a week in Kyoto with my now ex-wife and it was fun, but I'm not really looking to hit those cities again. Tokyo was pretty drat overwhelming and Kyoto was cool but after the umpteenth temple I was good. I went to Hiroshima already and saw Himeji but it was under construction so I didn't see much and therefore will be going again.

I'm thinking of doing a week or two in Osaka (is 2 weeks in Osaka too much?), hitting up himeji for a few days and then hitting up that black castle thing I saw on the Internet. I'd love to do some nature walk type stuff too. Budget isn't much of an issue, if it's cool and worth seeing I'll go. I really like cultural stuff, museums (especially military museums), castles, festivals and carnivals and stuff. I figured there must be some pretty cool smaller town cherry blossom festivals worth seeing in April/May.

My ex-wife was Japanese, so the last time I went there (and the only time) she basically coordinated everything and talked to everybody. Just from that 2 week experience I didn't get the impression that many people spoke ANY English, so I bought the "Genki" text book and have been trying to learn some of the language before I go. I've also been playing "slime forest adventure" so I can read (poorly) hiragana and katakana, is this going to be enough to scrape by or am I hosed and should cut the 1.5 months down to something more manageable like 1 month? (I have to do 2 weeks at Yokosuka for work anyways, so it'd be just 2 weeks on my own). Also my ex took our rice cooker and it was loving LEGIT, any brands with the titanium bowls and fancy doo-dads you guys recommend?

Lastly, any goons in the Yokosuka or Tokyo area want to meet up? I'll buy! And I know it's cliche as gently caress to ask about hooking up in Japan but I'm newly divorced and in a foreign country so gently caress it. What kind of clothes should I bring if I'm looking to meet normal girls out there? Normal American stuff (nice jeans, nice shoes, nice button up shirt) or is it like Europe and everybody dresses to impress with slacks and blazers and stuff?

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 2, 2016

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

DiscoJ posted:

It combined with the First Kitchen near the crossing.
Huh, I remember hearing about that but I thought it was a limited-time promo. Good to know I was mistaken.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

JacksLibido posted:

Lastly, any goons in the Yokosuka or Tokyo area want to meet up? I'll buy! And I know it's cliche as gently caress to ask about hooking up in Japan but I'm newly divorced and in a foreign country so gently caress it. What kind of clothes should I bring if I'm looking to meet normal girls out there? Normal American stuff (nice jeans, nice shoes, nice button up shirt) or is it like Europe and everybody dresses to impress with slacks and blazers and stuff?

Come to Kyushu! Weather will be great then and it is like a mini-Japan and the cities all have their own different vibe. I can introduce you to lots of single women if you visit here because Fukuoka has the largest imbalance between men and women in all of Japan and there are just too many women to go around! Fukuoka also has the reputation of having beautiful women so it is really a win-win situation if you are looking to enjoy your newly single status. That and we don't have a lot of foreigners in general so you stand out.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Ned posted:

Come to Kyushu! Weather will be great then and it is like a mini-Japan and the cities all have their own different vibe. I can introduce you to lots of single women if you visit here because Fukuoka has the largest imbalance between men and women in all of Japan and there are just too many women to go around! Fukuoka also has the reputation of having beautiful women so it is really a win-win situation if you are looking to enjoy your newly single status. That and we don't have a lot of foreigners in general so you stand out.

Dude that Bodhi Chen thing looks loving legit, I'm in. Which is cheapest/fastest, flying or train? What time of month works best for you? I just checked the Sumo schedule and it looks like there's going to be some matches starting 8 May in Tokyo? I definitely have to see a Sumo match, so you want me to come out early may or mid may?

-edit-
Google says Fukuoka is known for tonkotsu ramen, I LOVE tonkotsu ramen.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 2, 2016

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Well captain chair force you have two weeks in Yokosuka so just come to Tokyo a few nights and see if it's still overwhelming. Don't tell girls you live in Yokosuka, they may not like that unless they're pinoy

I found Osaka to be a lot more gritty but good luck there without Japanese

FUK is pretty awesome so definitely get down there at some stage

In other news I'll be around Ginza in May, like every month ever

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ned posted:

yo unironically do this, when i went out with Ned just for japanese food and beers we were surrounded by tables of cute girls in like every direction. Fukuoka owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
like i love my wife and stuff but if i ever somehow fall through a wormhole and end up in another dimension that is very similar to this one, except that i am now single, the first thing i would do is move to fukuoka