Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
This is why futons are great. The floor can never be too small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Jeez I've never heard of that place but I gotta spend a night or two there next time I'm in Japan. Good tip

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

ntan1 posted:

If you are thinking at the level Aman, then consider Amanemu instead., also in Japan.

That looks even better. I love this Aman brand. Now I just need to think up some excuses to go to Japan

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oakwood is corporate housing. I think they build one anywhere there's a US consulate or embassy just for free permanent diplomatic housing contracts. They're nice, but they're kinda cookie cutter samey McDonald's-style "good enough" nice

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I saw the lower end of Aman Tokyo is 90k yen a night. If it was the US I'd call that $900 after taxes and resort fees and poo poo but I dunno if Japan does that or if you really pay the posted price, if so that's like $830 a night. Pricey, but Japan is pricey and I think high end HK hotels are about the same.

I definitely wouldn't pay anything near that for Oakwood. Even premier. A lot of my coworkers in Guangzhou lived at the Oakwood premier there and again, it's nice. But at the end of the day it's corporate housing and you know what you're gonna get pretty much anywhere in the world.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Also just found out the only remaining pre-dreadnought in the world is in some park in Yokosuka, gotta hit that.

It's right next to Fleet Activities Yokosuka, so if you have any friends posted there you can make a day of it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there anything else in the area that's cool for history nerds? I'm thinking I might as well check out Kamakura while I'm down there, but given it's East Asia I presume all the historical places are long since bulldozed.

Yokosuka doesn't really have anything except that park and the old navy arsenal but it is kind of cool to see the town that is completely made to serve the US military these days, and the shrine that the servicemen aren't allowed to go.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
So where do you go for anime now (in Tokyo) if Akiba is nothing but Mandarin-speaking luxury goods stores? I was last there in 2014 and there were already like 3 Chinese department stores so I can see how they might have completely dominated by now.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Akiba is fine for nerd poo poo.

Or go to Taipei they have a mandrake store there with official translated goods

Mandarake has a great web store, I've been buying all my doujins and novels and poo poo from the Osaka one. A++ would buy again. I guess if I want to go on an anime trip I'll just go to Nipponbashi if Tokyo can't do it anymore.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've never been to a store in China where the staff cared whether or not I needed help.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I went to a Bob's Big Boy in Kyoto during the whatsit festival with the big fire 大字 on the mountain and I don't regret it at all. Extremely good festival meal. Only wish I wore my jinbei

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've never seen one. But my American life is like Nevada, New York, Ohio, California and Florida, so they might be a The South thing.

I think the most embarrassing food mistake I made in Japan was getting some good ol' yakiniku at a Gyu-kaku and then getting home and seeing a Gyu-kaku right there in the mall I went to the gym in every day.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

If you see a 787 fly on that no matter what airline it is (unless it's Chinese) because that plane is a real difference, more than the airline.

Hainan is the exception to the no Chinese rule, in my opinion. I fly their 787s whenever I need to go to mainland China and it's a pleasant experience.

I get the kosher meal though, that helps.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Speaking of skiing, where's good for spring skiing? I'm looking at going end of March to early April in the Kanto area and I didn't think of it until seeing Horsebanger's (good name) question that maybe I could still ski then.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I had a good time at Osaka castle and it's right across the street from a big museum worth visiting. I wanna say the Osaka Prefecture Museum?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

ntan1 posted:

quick I have 1 day in Kyoto in March somebody give me a interesting thing to do that isn't the Hub.

It's just an office building. Not really worth the detour at all. It's not like you can meet Haruhi or anything

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
where do i have to go to find friendly people to discuss whether hirame, ganmarei, or fue draw the best ahegao?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Klook will sell me this unlimited 4G sim for 8 days, which seems pretty good. But I'm gonna be in Japan for a total of 10. Do these kinds of prepaid cards come with extension options, or would I have to buy a second one for the remaining two days, or should I hunt for a 10-day one?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

😑 That's what I get for trying to be helpful.

nice dicebag nerd

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
As a professional anime opinion haver, I feel like I have to come in here and say the rumors of the death of Akihabara are greatly exaggerated.
In the past three days I did Nakano Broadway, Shibuya Mandarake, and Akihabara. I kinda wish I skipped the other two and spent more time in Akiba because there's just so much goddamned weeb shopping there I didn't have nearly enough time for (before they started closing places at 8pm on a Saturday what the hell). I'm gonna try to go back today.
I feel like there were actually less department stores full of luxury goods for Chinese people than there were when I was last here in 2014? But I don't have numbers to confirm that at all.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Speaking of toy shopping where are some good places in Tokyo and around akihabara? I’m looking for cool nerd things like Godzilla and sci-fi stuff and not so much gundam and bikini girl statues with huge boobs which is all most places seem to stock. Planning to go to the Bandai Akiba and tamashii nations places and probably yellow submarine in shinjuku but are there other good places to shop?

Mandarake, Lashinbang, Amiami, and basically all other places that sell gundam and bikini girl statues with huge boobs also have floors/areas dedicated to Godzilla Kaijus and American superhero crap and all the other stuff that makes me mad it's eating up square footage that could be more huge boob statues so it's all right up your alley. All in the same place.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was in Ikebukuro tonight and the shops are definitely more shoujo and BL-focused but I still found titty moe stuff to buy. I didn't see any Godzillas or Gundams in Animate or Gamers though (I got there at 8 when Lashinbang was already closed. Sad).

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've been having a good time eating at Coco Ichibanya. They got lots of curry choices and I got like 6 anime girl clear files from eating a few meals there and they're always in good locations and the staff are nice to me and they play good music. That's my recommendation.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to think if I've ever had a straight up bad meal in Japan and I'm coming up empty. Sure, not everything blew me away, but even convenience store fried chicken is worth the price you pay.

Honestly the only time I've been a little annoyed was with kaiseki, but I didn't pay for that meal so I can't complain too much.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sometimes called a bawdyhouse

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Which does tablelog say is the best McDonald's in Japan?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
How much did you spend on tolls

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I did United this time around because my top priority above all other things when flying to Tokyo is that I go to Haneda and not Narita. Mission accomplished. Also they were running a 787 and it was nice.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Which airline has the most anime? United only had Doraemon and Detective Conan it was shameful.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

on the bright side nobody on this trip has even come close to being as goony as the guy on my last visit who came and sat next to me on the bus so he could tell me the good news about the anime that changed his life

So did you check out DearS yet or?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mt. Fuji is one of my favorite mountains. Top five easy. I like its symmetry and bigness. Post more of that bad boy please.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the lesson here is travel with good friends you know and love and don't post an invitation on the internet for random acquaintances to go on 30 day adventures to the other side of the world.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty heavily lactose intolerant these days but I just carry a bunch of these in my bag: https://www.amazon.com/Lactaid-Lactose-Intolerance-single-dose-pouches/dp/B0009RF9K0
And I was good to go for my cheesy curry or my soft serve.

They kinda changed my life when I bought a box of them like two years ago because before that it was either not eat things I like or know that I'm going to suffer for it so make sure she knows these things exist.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

arisu posted:

I think I'm going to apply for Global Entry, since I'm thinking of taking more trips down the line even after the Japan trip. My mom lives in Taiwan too and I'm gonna try to get out there more often.

Any US goons have Global Entry and do you think it's worth it?

Thanks!

Yes it's good, and you get TSA precheck with it. Note that they now have a thing where you don't have to go out of your way to an airport for the interview and can do "interview on arrival" the next time you enter the US. But if you live in a city with a big international airport you could just go do the interview at a convenient time. I don't, so I just did it on a trip back from Mexico.

When I came back from Japan last week, I went through customs in less than 7 minutes. Except my wife isn't a U.S. citizen so I had to wait like an hour for her. Hmm.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

Or the one that got rolled by Nigerians in Roppongi for five grand after a goon meet, lol.

How do those Nigerians get visas anyway? Always wondered about that.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Business of Ferrets posted:

Was my last contact with him, so maybe!

I passed on the information and somebody else followed up on the case, as I was just temporarily covering that type of work.

I assume the Japanese authorities eventually notified the US embassy and he got consular access. I wouldn't worry. This isn't China

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Business of Ferrets posted:

Heh, that’s why I was there! :911:

I forgot I'd seen you in the FSO thread. Sorry you had to deal with that on leave.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

Sidewalk etiquette in general is pretty abysmal in Tokyo, I think the only hard and fast rule is try not to run into anybody on purpose.

I assumed most of the time you were meant to walk on the left side, like the way traffic is on the left. But the only place I ever saw a sign about it was in Gion in Kyoto and it said to keep to the right so I dunno. I felt like generally people were keeping left in Tokyo?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ikebukuro is Akihabara for fujoshis. They got some good nerd shops but it's like 80% anime hotboys what wanna shtup each other.

They do have a lot of theme cafe collaborations though, if you wanna have pretty ordinary food and drink themed after your favorite waifus and also get your hands on some exclusive character goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nanigans posted:

I’m going to look at all the anime and game nerd poo poo

Your typical Japan goon has a kind of a chip on his shoulder about not being a weeb. But your old pal Bloodnose loves you and supports your hobbies and I fully encourage you to go all out. It's hard to understate how great the market is in Tokyo for all your anime, manga, game and other nerd poo poo is right now. I feel like there's more to see and shop now than any time I've been in the last ten years. It definitely feels more mainstream than it used to be and some chuds might bitch about that but honestly it just means more for us to buy and enjoy.

The extra suitcase I brought to Tokyo full of American snacks for goons came back full of this (minus the most graphically pornographic covers) :

And I could've bought so much more if I had more time in Akihabara and maybe another suitcase. And all of it is like 20-40% cheaper in Japan than in the west.

One more time: there's so much to shop in Akihabara. So much. Next time I'm leaving two solid days. I feel so bad about everything I missed out on when the shops started closing at 8 (why do nerd shops close at 8 on a Saturday??).

A really pro strat would be to go onto the Mandarake website beforehand and mark out the things you want to get in each shop. I should've thought of that. Lashinbang you could probably do too. But you also find great poo poo just browsing.