Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm going to Japan in April for a little over a week and plan on going to Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto. I've actually been there before a few years ago and we got rail passes, but looking online now it seems like Tokyo and the others are in separate regions. What's the best way to plan travel between these cities? We may be doing day trips from these cities (Nara and Himeji most likely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

orcane posted:

If you get a JR rail pass it doesn't matter which JR Group company is operating the lines you want to use.

I was hoping to save some money with a regional pass. Sounds like you're saying my only real option is the national pass?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Should I get a bunch of traveler's checks before I go to Japan? Or can I get by with a credit card just about everywhere?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I dunno I used them last time I traveled internationally but that was on the advice of my parents, who are old people.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I was just in Tokyo last week as a tourist. Ueno park is like 3 stops away from Shinagawa and is basically the national mall: a park surrounded by museums. I didn't have time to check any of them out, but they looked legit.