Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm going to Japan for a trip with my wife. Arriving 17 March and leaving April 6. I have been to Japan before about 3 years ago for a couple weeks so I am a little familiar with the place. Mainly there for Cherry Blossom season, but would also like to visit Pokemon/Studio Ghibli stuff. Thinking of doing the following:

Tokyo - 7 nights
Hiroshima - 3 nights
Osaka - 4 nights
Kyoto - 2 nights
Yokosuka - 2 nights (have a friend that lives there)

I've visited these places before but didn't spend much time in Tokyo last time. This leaves like 3 nights for us to go elsewhere. Any suggestions on where to go for the other 3 nights? I'm pretty flexible, would be nice to go into the mountains for hot springs, or maybe up north or Okinawa or something? Is there any snow around at this time of year up north? I'm booking and planning everything myself, not on a tour.

EDIT: Have pretty much decided on adding Sapporo/Niseko as the 3 nights at the very start of the trip, for a bit of snow fun. Still, any suggestions? Am I staying in any places too long?

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Radiohead71 posted:

Does your Hiroshima time include Miyajima island? 3 nights might be too long. I stayed 2 and it was fine.

Yeah, I was planning a day trip to Miyajima during my stay there. Also, this looked interesting: http://visithiroshima.net/plan_your_trip/tour_plans/sandankyo.html. So I was thinking 1 day for the bomb memorial, 1 day for Miyajima, 1 day for Sandankyo gorge

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Radiohead71 posted:

That sounds good. I loved Hiroshima. The people were very friendly. Note, if you get a JR pass, you can use the red site seeing bus.

http://www.hiroshima-navi.or.jp/en/news/2014/07/372756.php

I stayed at the Sheraton Hiroshima and it was excellent

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298561-d2024066-Reviews-Sheraton_Hotel_Hiroshima-Hiroshima_Hiroshima_Prefecture_Chugoku.html

It's right next to the JR station. You can catch the red site seeing bus at street level. There is a huge cab stand outside hotel if you need one.

If you want to get okonomiyaki try nagataya which is really close to the bomb dome

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298561-d3417825-Reviews-Nagataya-Hiroshima_Hiroshima_Prefecture_Chugoku.html

Hey, cheers for the tips!

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Mr. Fix It posted:

:stonk:

Source your quotes pls

Your username is a lie

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I posted earlier about my trip to Japan coming up. We will be visiting Sapporo from March 17-20, for a bit of snow action. My wife and I are both skiing beginners so we were going to play around on some of the slopes close to town, maybe some of the ones close by according to this site: http://www.welcome.city.sapporo.jp/special/feature_article/ski_resorts/?lang=en.

My question is: what kind of clothing, etc. will we need to bring? Obviously warm stuff, but how much can you hire for skiing? I have never lived in an area where it snows and my wife has never even seen snow, so I have no snow gear, but have jumpers, thermal underwear, beanies, weather proof jackets etc. But we have no winter/snow boots. What is appropriate to wear around for just walking around the city, and can we hire proper boots for when we are skiing/snowboarding or whatever? Will we need to buy some winter/snow boots for walking around the city?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
What kind of interesting/whacky/cool placess are there to visit in Tokyo? I am travelling there with my wife, we will be there from Sunday 20/03 to Saturday 26/03. We're staying at an apartment near Tokyo Tower. So far, the stuff we want/have booked to see is:
Disneyland
Studio Ghibli Museum
Pokemon museum
Tsukiji fish market
Imperial palace
Tea ceremony (anyone recommend a place?)
Ninja Akasaka restaurant
Gardens/parks (recommendations?)
Temples (recommendations?)
Akihabara

Interested in seeing cultural/historical/engineering stuff. Also, weird stuff like owl cafes and poo poo like that.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Aredna posted:

Unless you are super super into Anime and Ghibli do not waste your time there.

My wife is keen, plus we have already bought the tix

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Righto, thanks everyone for the Tokyo tips.

Nikko temple sounds great.
We're already booked for Disneysea on a Thursday
I'll probably avoid the maid cafe/girl ear cleaning stuff. I'm travelling with my wife and she gets super jealous of stuff like that.
Aredna: What's the tip about leaving your cash/cards at home for? Is there dodgy stuff?
Samurai museum sounds cool, also the website shows it close to a Godzilla building - is that the Godzilla hotel I've seen on the internet? If so, that's awesome! What's the robot restaurant called?
Parasite museum? Not really keen on that. A little squeamish, we probably wouldn't enjoy it.
DoscoJ: Thanks for the advice for stuff near the Ghibli museum, might as well go there since we'll be in the area.
Caberham: Thanks for the fish market and gardens advice.

Tokyo is actually only part of the trip. We're also going to be in Sapporo for 3 nights before Tokyo, then Hiroshima for 3 nights after, then Osaka for 3 nights then in Yokosuka for 4 nights (have a friend that lives there). Pretty much have enough stuff to fill in the other parts of our trip. But if people have more suggestions this is what I had planned:

Sapporo 17th March to 19 March
Skiing/snowboarding at one of the ski areas close to the city (we're both beginners)
Sapporo beer museum
General look around town

Tokyo 20 March to 26 March
Already discussed

Hiroshima 27 March to 29 March
Peace memorial
Miyajima Island
Sandankyo gorge
Cherry blossoms

Osaka 30 March to 1 April
Kyoto day trip - Kinkakuji, Kyoto castle, any other good spots?
Osaka castle
Cherry blossoms
Eating, there's that food area near some big tower?
General look around the city

Yokosuka 2 April to 6 April
Kawazaki penis festival
Day trip to one of the lakes near Fuji
Cherry blossoms
Not sure what else

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

DiscoJ posted:

I'd spend a little more time in Kyoto. Fushimi Inari (place with all the gates) and Arashiyama (bamboo groves, monkeys, more temples, etc.) are cool places. Check japan-guide.com.

Osaka Castle is a reconstruction so though it looks good on the outside, the inside is pretty modern. If you want to see something more historically accurate, there's himeji (between Hiroshima and Osaka by Shinkansen) and Hikone (not too far from Kyoto).

For Osaka, I'd recommend the Umeda Sky Building and Namba Parks.

Thanks dude, would it be doable for a day trip from Osaka to Kyoto to see Kinkakuji, and the other stuff you mentioned?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
As part of my trip I posted about earlier, we're going to be staying in Yokosuka, near Oppama station, staying with my friend. I'd like to visit one of the lakes around Mt Fuji around this time, maybe Lake Kawaguchiko. Or maybe even Mt Hakone. Somewhere to get a good view of Fuji and cherry blossoms. Google maps is showing that a trip out there using trains etc. would take over 3.5 hrs. Does anyone know of any buses that go out there direct that aren't showing on google maps directions? We could leave from Oppama or Yokohama or anywhere around there.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
For anyone that's been to the Ghibli museum: what is a reasonable amount of time to spend there? We have a tickets for 10AM, would like to make a booking at the owl cafe nearby, but unsure of what time to book for.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm going to be travelling between Hiroshima and Osaka on Wednesday 30/03 and would like to stop off at Himeji on the way. I have 3 questions:

1) Is it possible to do this via Shinkansen?
2) We will have suitcases, is there a place to store 2x normal size suitcases around the train station?
3) How long is appropriate to see the castle? 2 hours?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
RIghto, thanks for the tips. I already have a JR rail pass, and I'll have a look at the luggage delivery service, see if it suits us.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
So I understand that I can use Pasmo/Suica around the Tokyo area for the local trains and vending machines, etc.. I have a few questions related to these cards:

1) Which one should I get? Is one better than the other?
2) Can you use these with the JR trains? I have a JR pass but will be in Tokyo for a couple days before I activate it, to make better use of it when I'm travelling to Hiroshima/Osaka, etc.
3) I will also be in Sapporo, Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto. Are these cards also able to be used in these areas, or are there other local equivalents?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Good to know, thanks.

I went to Japan a few years ago and from what I remember, the PASMO only worked around the Tokyo area back then. Looks like they've been working on it since last time I was there! Japan-guide site says March 2013.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Actually, I'll be in Sapporo first so looks like I'll grab a Kitaca from there. Another question: is it possible to return this in Tokyo to get a refund or does it have to be returned within the same region? We fly in and out of Tokyo, but when we first arrive in Japan we're not leaving the airport and flying straight to Sapporo for the start of our trip, then flying back to Tokyo to see more of the main island. Alternatively, can I grab a PASMO from within Haneda airport before we fly out to Sapporo?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Any recommendations for mobile apps (android) to help learning common phrases in Japanese, or to show people so that they know what I want to say?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am looking to spend about a week in Japan from August 8th to 14th. I am mostly going to spend time in or around Tokyo. My intent was to do a two day climb up Mt. Fuji from August 10th to August 11th.

This is a Wednesday to Thursday weekday, however it is right before the Oben holiday. Additionally, apparently August 11th is the inaugural Japanese "Mountain Day".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-salarymen.html
The objective of the new legislation stated that the day was created in order to share “opportunities to get familiar with mountains and appreciate blessings form mountains”.

I can't even make this poo poo up.

So now I am worried that going anywhere near Mt. Fuji is going to be a clusterfuck. My intent was to go up the lesser used (but more difficult) Gotemba trail to avoid the mob. I have the experience and the physical fitness to do this, but am still worried about crowds, hut space, etc.

Anyone have any experience with this? Technically Obon starts on the 13th, so I am missing the bulk of that madness, but will still probably have people taking long weekends. Likewise, "Mountain Day" seems to be like the Japanese equivalent of Columbus day, so I am not sure it will have much of an effect on crowds. However it is a national holiday, so who knows.

Hey, I went on a 14 day trip to Japan 3 years ago from August 8 to 22. We climbed Fuji on August 10 and 11, exactly like you. Not sure if Obon are the same dates or not this year but it was totally fine from what I remember. We did the Gotemba trail and it wasn't too crowded, since it was the hardest one. Didn't see too many people or have to queue. Was busy at the top though, tens of thousands of people on the summit.

EDIT: we didn't use any huts, just kept climbing, resting every now and then. From memory we started at 6PM and got to the summit at about 4AM.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I am an Australian and after visiting Japan twice, I am strongly considering incorporating a Japanese style shower/bath room and bidet toilet seats if I ever build a house again.

EDIT: Don't build a house, it's a giant pain in the arse and takes ages. Also sucks heaps of your time.

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
If Hiroshima, definitely Miyajima (easy to spend a whole day there), a day around the city/bomb park and museum. Also, if you want to get into the mountains, then I highly recommend Sandankyo gorge, a day trip reachable via public bus from the city. http://visithiroshima.net/plan_your_trip/tour_plans/sandankyo.html

We went there last time in April. It was the off season but still extremely beautiful. Trails beside mountain streams and a relaxing hike through the gorge. Hardly any people were there.