Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
What are your qualifications to find any job? What degree and experience do you have? Without enough of either or a both it's going to be impossible anyways. Even as an intra-company transfer with my company paying everything I had to prove I had a degree to get my visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
These are some things you may or may not be able to see if you visit Japan depending on when and where you go.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

I did this once for Frozen and the Japanese subs and dub were different. I gave up pretty quickly on the idea of watching them together.

I don't remember the name, but I saw this in another movie to and find that amazing. I assume different companies were contracted out for the work, but it was crazy to see different translations of the same movie at the same time. I'm surprised the studios don't care about making it consistent.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
That makes sense, but doesn't closed caption in English have everything? Why would Japanese be different for people not being able to read as fast?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Nagoya has either the largest, or one of the largest, planetariums in the world if that's up your alley.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Vidaeus posted:

Studio Ghibli Museum

Unless you are super super into Anime and Ghibli do not waste your time there.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Near the end of the trip go to Shinjuku-Gyoen. If you're lucky the cherry blossoms will have started.

If you want to see weird stuff hit up a maid care when you're in Akihabara. Just do like 30mins or an hour and have some dessert after your lunch and see the crazy over the top stuff they're doing. If you want really odd you can hit up one of the places where you'll rest your face in the lap of some high school girls while she cleans your ears. There will be plenty of people handing out cards for it.

There's a rabbit cafe in Omotesando/Harajuku area - but I'd avoid it as apparently you can't touch the rabbits anymore. I'm guessing someone got bit.

Do Harajuku/Yoyogi Park/Meiji-jingu Shrine all on a Sunday. It'll be crowded, but you'll see the most people dressed up and doing performances, etc. around on that day.

If you're really adventurous you can follow the touts into wherever they are pimping for - but you should leave all your credit cards and most of your cash at home..

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

caberham posted:

Great post. As other people have said, there's Asakusa - It's the temple district. Eat In Nakasei.

As for Gardens, Shinjuku park is great, and of course Ueno.
Fish Market, avoid Sushi Dai or the other places with super long lines. There are lots of other alternatives. And don't eat Sushi Zanmai when you are in Tsukiji.

6 days and your itinerary should have more than enough stuff to do. Also do check out Shibuya

Who are you? I think someone hijacked the original persons account because you used to tell everyone to go to Sushi Zanmai in Tsukiji.

Also - wtf don't go to Shinjuku park. It is VERY different than Shinjuku-Gyoen. The former is where you go to see homeless people while the latter is beautiful.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Comment about dodgy stuff was if you follow touts - especially in roppongi or kabukicho. If someone is recruiting you for a place - dont follow them unless you know wtf you are getting yourself into

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Warning: I'm an undercover tout and will waste all your money. Come to my club. Titties and beer. Etc

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
They can be fun - but you better leave your cash and cards at home or be experienced

I can be your your guide of roppongi - and find you what you want - for better or worse!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
How wrong you are

They moved locations but it's still there

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

DiscoJ posted:

- Don't be a vegetarian. Shops and restaurants in Japan don't really cater for vegetarian diets as much as some other countries (e.g. no labeling systems, staff are uninformed, etc.) so if you (or your girlfriend) have any special dietary requirements, you'd probably need someone's help.

It's pretty impossible.

If you ask for no meat expect to get bacon at most places - bacon is a veggie apparently.

If you ask if the soup has no meat in it - also ask what kind of stock it's made from. Most soups (ramen, etc.) have some pork stock.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
So much bad ATM info in this thread.

1) Call your bank before you come and tell them you will be in Japan. Lots of banks will decline the transactions they don't know

2) 7/11 are everywhere, mostly open 24/7, have menus in like 18 languages, and have a limit of 100,000 yen per transaction. I think the daily limit is more if your bank allows it - but it has to be over multiple transactions. The minimum withdrawal is normally 10,000 - but a few rare machines at 7/11 allow other bills.

3) Japan Post - allows 1000yen bills too and also will work with most cards. Typically not open 24/7

4) Citibank - pretty much like 7/11 but less common. Several around Tokyo and at least 1 in Osaka.

If someone says you can't use MasterCard here that's super old info and it was like that for about a year only while 7/11 and MasterCard fought over fees.

If you're not going to arrive via one of Osaka Kansai, Narita, or Haneda then ask for first hand experience or check the website to verify they have a money exchange booth. I found out the hard way about an "international" airport in China that offered no such service. I wouldn't be surprised to see smaller airports in Japan be the same so it's worth a quick check before arriving.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 12, 2016

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

TWSS posted:

Does anyone want to get drunk in roppongi tonight?

I may be around. Send me a PM or LINE info or something and if I head there I'll let you know

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Citibank ended support for local accounts, but most of the ATMs themselves remained open.

Also - telling people you can't find an ATM 24/7 in major cities is just wrong these days. As long as you call your bank and show up with a little cash you'll be fine.

Most people think they don't need to call their bank then end up in a other country with a card that suddenly stops working.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Someone upset because they are wrong?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
You need netflix so you can scout the hub for people to chill with.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I would research whatever you're connecting to and see how much they fight against it these days. Netflix and Hulu are becoming pretty active in blocking lots of location services so I'm going to set up a personal VPN next time I'm back in the US.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Approximately 2 cases of tallboys from Amazon delivered to your door.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If you want something special do some research and see if you can find out when they'll do a maglev test run in Yamanashi-ken again. I hear they run them quite a bit and I'm sure at the right place you could get a good view. Most aren't publicized though so I'm not real sure where to begin researching it.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Oh wow - they have a lot more set up now than I realized for it. I just knew they ran them throughout the day from people that lived in the valley and heard them sometimes.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Your friend is way out of date. Dancing is legal now and before it didn't matter anyways and some clubs would just get busted, but customers never got in trouble.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
It's no different than working for a Japanese company in Japan.

If you're in Japan more than 180 (181?) days in a year working you owe Japanese taxes based on the portion of time working in Japan. For US taxes, you get a Foreign Income Exemption Deduction that is just over $100k now, on top of other deductions and such that you can take.

If you are making less than $100k then it will be easy to fill out some forms. If you have more than that then I recommend hiring a company to do your taxes if your company won't do it for you. I'm on an expat contract so a lot of stuff counts as income even though it's money I never see (i.e. company paid flight home yearly). My tax forms with all the paperwork this year filled out by our tax company is something like 19 pages due to all sorts of calculations and tax credits that have to be carried over and moved around properly.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Obon dates are different by region and sometimes by company, if observed. August is going to be horrible - try to climb Fuji on a July weekday if you want to avoid crowds.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Shadowhand00 posted:

I noticed that anything rated 3.0 and above was really good.

Still, I should have just gone around and gone into random shops. This article better articulates what I wish I had done in Japan:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/eating-without-a-map-travel-essay.html

On the other hand I had the worst ramen of my life and got sick by walking into a random place like this. Sure do it for a few meals as you're wandering around - but there are so many awesome places that it'd be a shame to miss out on some amazing food because you want to be special and unique on your trip.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Any museum and Disney will be best on weekdays that aren't public holidays.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If we can work out some time I'm happy to take people out for the night. I'm doing a diet thing so I'm going out a lot less and typically drinking less (or even not at all on some of those nights).

Also lots of other people in the group chat are out various nights of the week. Join up and remember to turn notifications off.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
The same one that everyone is talking about and peanut posted a QR code to

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Also search domestic airlines for cheap prices - especially if you can be flexible on times.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Stringent posted:

Dammit, he found it.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I agree with the post above me and if you get bored of temples you can head for a day to Osaka, Kobe, or Nara to see something else.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Curious what you consider the 7 cities? Never thought about it that way.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If you are inside the station and just show up at the shinkansen counter, give them your ticket or suica and they'll fix it to charge you the right amount. If you go outside of the ticket gate you're probably out of luck if there's any discount - which there usually is.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

peak debt posted:

uhm ginza, shinjuku, shibuya, ueno, shinbashi, roppongi? those seem to be the recognizable city centers

Oh with the sprawl Coombes I was expecting places like Yokohama, Kamakura, Chiba, Tachikawa, Etc

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Some say it's the wettest FUK-hole Japan has seen in years

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Ned posted:

I wonder what the saddest most depressed city/region in Japan is?

Tokyo- as everyone realizes their lives and relationships are just as souless and empty as they were in the inaka

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Shibawanko posted:

I'm going to go home for a while and won't renew my spouse visa I think (it expires in July), but I plan to come back in a few years with another spouse visa. Should I tell the government that I'm moving out? Should I just stop paying health insurance? Or can I just go home and let the visa expire?

There's a whole webpage with information about this
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_1/en/q-and-a_page2.html
... but it's loving unreadable. It seems to threaten you with fines if you don't return your residence card, but does that really happen?

You should also forget to cancel your cell phone, gym membership, electricity, rent contract, and any other bills you may have.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
When I got the Nikko pass they saw I was a white dude and didn't even ask me for anything other than money. I'm sure it will vary by location and person, but you may still get away with it in a lot of places.

However I would plan on it never working or you'll probably he disappointed.

Maybe you could show up with a US driver's license and claim you forgot passport in the hotel or something?

Planes can be a pain, but if timing and discounts line up they can be way cheaper than any pass. At times you see Okinawa for like 3000 yen and of course closer places too.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Nagoya:
* one of best planetariums in the world
* hall of lights (or some name like that) illumination that looks cool
* nagashima spaland amusement park (no clue how it is in winter)