Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
The main thing to be aware of is that at most restaurants if you order with "no meat" you'll probably still get bacon on it. Make sure to specify no bacon too if it is something that contains that.

Ramen - check what the soup is based on. Pork-based soup isn't uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
1) call your bank ahead of time and ask them to let you use it internationally and tell them the dates you'll be in other countries

2) if you have the visa or mastercard logo on your card you can use it at any 7/11 or Japan Post (USPS equiv) ATM or Citibank ATM

3) if you have the chip and pin thing (US is finally getting it) then 7/11 will let you take 100,000 at a time. If not you can do 30,000 per transaction and 2 transactions at a specific ATM each day

4) call your loving bank before you leave - everyone thinks they are special and don't and then their cards don't work

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Sakazen and there's a Big & Tall shop between Aoyama and Gaienmae somewhere too.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
On the first day of Golden Week I just walked up and bought a non-reserved ticket and then waited one extra train (20 minutes on that track that day) and was first in line to get a seat.

That would only work if you're at the starting station though - so don't try to do that at Shinagawa station since it'll be full at Tokyo station already.

If it's busy travel time you may need to plan ahead (3 day weekends, golden week, obon), but otherwise you'll be fine on most routes at most times to just walk up and get a non-reserved seat.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Question Mark Mound posted:

In this case, you could always play the "stupid foreigner" card and just say you asked a local to book for you since you weren't going to be in the country when tickets can be on sale.

Haven't had to do that myself but I've heard of people who live and work in Japan getting away with that kind of stuff.

Was in line for a club one night and a Japanese guy in line told us that if we just go and tell them that we were told we didn't have to wait in line because we were foreigners they'd let us in. I'm like "what?" and he insisted. So we walked up and said "hey, guy over there said we didn't need to wait in line since we are foreigners or something" and they asked who and I just said "I dunno, some guy over there" and pointed and dude was like whatever and put us ahead of the line.

Dumb gaijin works quite well sometimes.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
A year or so back when I was in a Yamaya I had to wait like 20 minutes for the person in front of me to do the duty free thing on his liquor.

They kept reminding the dude he had to take it out of the country and swear that he was going to do it - but they certainly let him do the duty-free paperwork to save his 900 yen.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

caberham posted:

Wait what you can use apple pay for trains and metro?

Not that I would unless it's some auto top up feature

Apple Watch 2 and iPhone 7 or newer have a Suica app you can use with Apple Wallet.

It doesn't auto-top-up, but you can just add money in it from something else setup on Apple Pay easily. Takes about 10 seconds for me to add 10man to it.

e: or add 1man to it - that's probably more accurate

Aredna fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 23, 2017

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Magna Kaser posted:

I was looking into the NFC/FeliCa iPhone stuff cuz I'm a huge giant dumb nerd and it seems like while technically the hardware in all iPhone's with NFC can support it (as people pointed out), it's a combo of a few things. There are (probable) licensing fees to Sony to actually "use" the tech, whatever sort of agreement they have with Suica itself because it's technically integrated with Apple Pay and not just a rando NFC-using app, and there are extra requirements from the Japanese government somehow only for iPhones and not for other phones with regard to this cuz the radio is stronger for something???.

Also found some quotes that Apple is actively trying to get non-Japanese iPhones on Suica and add more stuff like this so it can probably just be patched in when they decide to do it.

But yeah for now you gotta get a Japanese iPhone 7 or newer.

There is an actual physical FeLiCa chip inside of the phones that support it and it does have a license fee to Sony to put into it.

Apple isn't going to pay Sony for every phone it sells outside of Japan which is why they don't support it.

.Z. posted:

Something worth noting for anyone considering the Japanese iPhone (or any Japanese phone with a camera) is that you can't disable the shutter sound. Fine in Japan as all the phone are like that, but kinda annoying outside of Japan. You will get people going, "You know you can turn that sound off?" and such.

It's literally just software so if you decide to venture to the darker parts of the internet you can probably find what you need to flash it.

Also if you turn on Live photos it just makes the little "beep" like you get when a movie finishes.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Odabia is far from everything and inconvenient to Tokyo. Only stay there if you want to spend a lot of your time there or enjoy riding trains to get to anything else at all.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

air- posted:

Anyone here into VR? I'm gonna be in Tokyo next week, planning to go do this and curious if anyone's been. Mario Kart looks awesome.

I did it - get the pass and make sure Mario Kart is still going on. It originally ended at the end of August.

The games were pretty fun, but sometimes a bit buggy. They had to reset my machine 3 times to get it to pick up my hands. Mario Kart is pretty much set speed catch-up to keep it fun since you just get one go. The power-ups were awesome and it was great to hit people near me with a hammer.

Skiing seemed pretty realistic.

Dino Horror game was scary af, but fun - would probably try a different one in the horror group (red) if I did it again - maybe the flying bike.

And Dragonball was cool, especially if you're a Dragonball fan. I didn't even know the character names and still enjoyed it and would do it again.

Overall - expensive, but a lot of fun overall.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Joule doesn't seem to get too busy these days. Right near it, though, is Ghost, which was pretty good and your typical big club feel - though not all that large in general.

There's another large one that's pretty popular these days as well and is supposed to be better than Ghost, but I didn't get a chance to check it out. I forgot the name, but if you ask around at a bar or club you'll find people going that way.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Assuming you mean the 27th/28th evenings - Halloween parties will be in the streets in Shibuya and Roppongi. Every club, bar, etc. will be packed af and not worth it. Just street drink and mingle. The streets will be packed af too... but anywhere indoors takes it to a new level.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

.Z. posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately doesn't look like there are any voice sim cards there.

Anyhow, found the posts I was referring to on my 3rd attempt at scanning through the thread.

Sharing here incase anyone else was interested. The suggestions were for:
https://www.genkimobile.com/simcard.php - data only
http://asolutions.co.jp/service/details/sonixnet-sim.html - Same provider as Genki, but allows for voice options. Requires a 3 month commitment, doesn't have an online checkout process.

I set mine up all via e-mail with them. They were super responsive and great to work with. Haven't had any problems at all. They are just for foreigners though and required proof of being a non-citizen of Japan for me to get setup. I don't see that on their site anymore though so perhaps they let anyone join now.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

zmcnulty posted:

Just FYI Niseko is basically a territory of Australia during ski season. Nearly everything is owned and operated by gaijin for gaijin. Said gaijin basically saved the town from falling into obscurity, but the if you're after some authentic Japanese experience, you'll need to head out of town.

It's so much not Japan that the restaurant we were at didn't even have a Japanese menu available - only English.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
https://www.contexttravel.com/

This place has tours your parents would probably be interested in if they're footing the bill.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Just watch this for Toronto - you'll find deals under $400 CAD to Tokyo at times: http://www.yyzdeals.com/

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Navaash posted:

Yeah don't ever fly in or out during the New Year's, Golden Week, or Obon periods. You will pay through the nose if you try. You can arrive/leave just before or after without getting smacked upside the head with massive premiums, though.

Flying into major cities during those times can work out fine. Everyone is leaving Tokyo to visit family. I've seen Golden week with super low prices before as long as you're coming to Tokyo for it and leaving at the end of it.

totalnewbie posted:

The deals I've seen are usually direct YYZ -> NRT, but obviously they don't last long. It really only works if you've got a flexible schedule and are checking every day.

Deals normally require flexible schedules, but you don't need to check every day. Lots of places have pricing alerts you can set up.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
So basically Hawaii Goon Farm 2: Animeland, but you charge people?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Looks like Shinsei GoRemit is cheaper over about 350,000 yen, but under that TransferWise is a bit cheaper. Like Shinsei GoRemit, it's just a furikomi to their account.

Shinsei GoRemit = flat 2000yen.

Transferwise = 100yen + 0.55%

I used Transferwise a lot last year and never had any delays or issues.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

sale on Banksy art posted:

Definitely put all your money on black.

You have to diversify - put half on Red as well

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

StabMasterArson posted:

Will be staying in Tokyo for 10 days next month, our apartment is in Ikebukuro. Can anyone recommend some places to check out or avoid around there? Is it worth getting a 7-day train pass? We'd like to check out Akihibara and Harajuku etc but not sure if the passes cover that. Am I going to straight up die from the heat?

If you're staying in an AirBnB you should make sure it's ok. Laws are changing in mid-June and lots of places are gonna have trouble staying open for service.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's Savoy. I wouldn't really call it very Japanese, except for how it's perfection in its simplicity, because you'll confuse people as to what you mean.

David Chang and Aziz Ansari are apparently there every time they're in Japan lol

There are like 3 Savoys or something. And then you have the spin-off Frey's from one of the old Savoy chefs that some people say are better.

I want to try out Pizza Studio Tamaki though - everyone I know that loves Savoy says it's the first place they've found that's better than Savoy.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Shinjuku is easy if you just go out the south side or north side and then use the portable real time map, compass, and auto-updating where are you now on the map marker you have with you. Alternatively bring a sextant.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Not sure if it's true anymore, but a few times in the past I found hotels were half price on US sites (expedia, etc.) compared to Japanese sites because Japanese sites tend to charge per person instead of per room.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If you're the kind of person that won't panic when your AirBNB gets cancelled I highly recommend booking AirBNB for as many days as possible. Worst case is you end up somewhere in your budget that's nice. Best case you stay somewhere good for free.

Basically - AirBNB is currently cancelling reservations 3 days ahead of time if the place has yet to provide proper registration information. They give you a full refund and give you a coupon for the same amount that you can use to book somewhere else.

We got a place for $544 for 3 nights (4 people in a multiple bedroom house) and when it got cancelled we got a $544 coupon for a stay somewhere and a $100 "experiences" coupon which hasn't been used yet.

I made sure to book the first place somewhere that didn't talk about being registered to increase our chances of a free stay and it worked out great. Just be aware that you're gonna have to be ready to re-book something mid trip and not panic about having nowhere to stay.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
There's literally something to do every month in Japan that's around every year for a few months. Unless you really hate certain things there is always something going on that you can go do.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

ntan1 posted:

did you know that japan has four seasons?

Drinking in onsen season
Drinking under trees season
Drinking by the ocean season
Drinking under fireworks sesaon

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

harperdc posted:

JetStar is fine, and for a 2 hour flight it’s okay. IIRC it’s a spinoff/LCC for Qantas. I may not want to go all the way down to Australia with them, but inside Japan or nearby is okay.

I've flown them from Tokyo to Gold Coast (9 hours) in economy as a goon-size goon and it wasn't too bad. Going there mid week everyone had their own row to them selves, but coming back I got stuck in the middle between two people I didn't know and it wasn't horrible. Well other than that coming back they dropped us in Osaka instead due to a sudden volcano blocking the air - but they still offered to put people up in hotels and fly next day or pay same day shink back to Tokyo,

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Went to Roppongi last night hoping to get drunk on a weeknight with some random expats and hopefully cute girls who speak English, instead was met by empty bars everywhere and random dudes every ten feet asking me to go into strip clubs. I screwed up the train too so it took forever to get to and from Shinjuku and the whole night was a big fail. Help me SA, why did I gently caress up and will it be just as much of a waste on Fri/Sat?

e: also jesus gently caress it is hot right now

e: e: also gyukatsu motomura shinjuku is tits.

You missed Jumanji basically. One of the few places actually busy on a weekday. Roppongi gets worse very year. If you just want girls to talk to find a Hub or something.

If you have other end goals or type of place in mind post it and you'll get better recommendations.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That monk is more cringey than any of those idiot tourists. Imagine running into a dude with an authentic Shingon Buddhist staff shoved that far up his anus.

Maybe Cooperhound is said monk.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

zmcnulty posted:

teamLab did a pop-up exhibit a couple years year in Odaiba, I went, and it was pretty awesome. Word spread quickly and the wait time toward the end was like 3+ hours.
A coworker has been to the one you linked, he said it's huge, and he ended up spending like 8 hours there.

The Odaiba one was really cool and was called teamLab Planets - it's up again this year in Toyosu actually: https://planets.teamlab.art/tokyo/. I would assume the lines aren't as bad as before, but it's hard to say.

air- posted:

Will be in Tokyo in Sept and making plans for a free day there. I was really hoping to check out the Yayoi Kusama museum, but it's closed for the whole month :( Anyone been to this? Not much info online yet since it's new, but it looks like a solid alternative.

This one is teamLab Borderless. I went one opening weekend and it was really awesome. I highly recommend it. We arrived around 2pm and stayed for 4.5 hours. In that time we did all of the exhibits except for one that had an hour line. I think it was called floating pond or something similar and it was near the front right from where you come in.

The other one that gets a long line is the lamp one. It's kind of near the back left and up some stairs to get to it if you're coming from the entrance.

I would recommend going early on a weekday and doing both of those first. It looks like in September weekdays aren't quite sold out yet, but buy your tickets ASAP because they will likely continue to sell out daily.

The tea house is really cool and a lot of people miss it because it's right across from where you change shoes to go into the athletic room. It's 500 yen per person extra though for your tea.

And last piece of advice is just to watch everything super carefully. There are a lot of hidden things that you may not notice. A lot of the museum is interactive and there are things you can do in one room that change what happens in other places around the museum. I'm sure we didn't find everything that you can do.

One example was An empty room that looked broken had people walking through it as a shortcut had 3 TVs. I thought - wait a minute this just opened there is no way it's broken. So I just stood there staring at the TVs for a few minutes. Then cocoons appeared on me and then continuing to stand there led to butterflies hatching.
The longer you wait the more that appear. They fly all around the room and then you notice they disappear by the door. It's not by chance. They then fly out and end up flying all over and interacting with other exhibits. Really cool thing to discover.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

zmcnulty posted:

Which distilleries were you planning on visiting? If it's Hakushu or Yamazaki, they have English audio guides, which includes the rules/safety orientation at the beginning.

If you want to do the tour at Yamazaki you may be hosed by now, since reservations are required. You could probably still get a spot for just the tasting bar and the museum, or alternatively you could try Hakushu as well (tasting menu is nearly identical).

https://www.nomunication.jp/2018/04/16/suntory-hakushu-distillery/

To add to that - we were at the hakushu distillery and did get lucky that they had a few people answer and gave us the free spots on the tour. So it's possible, but I wouldn't plan a special trip around going that happens.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

ridiculous kit kat flavors, ninja boots.

The new hotness is Pringles flvaors, such as yakitori, gyudon, t-bone steak, and potato salad.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Planets is temporary, but back from two years ago. Borderless is permanent. Borderless is way more interactive than Planets.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

LimburgLimbo posted:

It’s temporary but apparenty until fall of 2020, so there’s plenty of time haha

https://www.teamlab.art/e/?type=pickup

Well drat - it only lasted a summer in Odaiba 2 years back. I was hoping to make it this year, but no rush now.

Granite Octopus posted:

Borderless was pretty cool. Somewhat dampened by some rear end in a top hat European tourists who cut in at the end of an hour-long line.

The lines were crazy btw, but the place really emptied out in the last 30 minutes, so if you want to avoid them, going at the end of the day might make sense. If you have a dslr or similar make sure you bring it. Many of the exhibits are very dark and I needed to really crank up the iso to get decent shots.

On the other hand if you try to really explore and understand how the exhibits interact with each other and with people you'll easily spend 4-5 hours there. Borderless is absolutely massive and if you go at the end of the day you'll miss a lot of the exhibits.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Also had some friends stay at the Granbell. It's not convenient and by all the love hotels - but otherwise they were more than satisfied.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Didn't one company reach a licensing agreement with Nintendo? If so, that's never going away for good.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

zmcnulty posted:

Just lol at your plebian rear end if you aren't simply asking your driver to take you

Who uses a driver these days? I have a helicopter drop me off right next to the office: https://www.mori.co.jp/en/company/press/release/2009/07/20090728150000001577.html

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
At a low end club it means you get a seat to yourself and have to get drinks yourself.

At most clubs it means you have to buy a minimum one bottle per something (hour, 2 hours, 4 people, etc.).

At top end clubs you have to buy a minimum bottle/bottles + seat charge.

Any with bottle service you'll of course have wait staff, but none will be dedicated to your table. Typically either to the VIP area or to the entire floor.

Cheapest you'll find is 1000/person for the night for VIP seats all the way up to spending 500,000 yen or more if you want to drop that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol where is 1000 yen/person that is a drat steal

Black Horse - obv no drinks included, but you get the seat

Aexo posted:

Yeah, I meant waitstaff for the VIP area but if I'm pushing ¥500k I'd expect my own person. I'm not paying that though 😂

Thanks for the info. I think a dedicated place to park my rear end while on vacation sounds great.

Well you'd basically have one of several people in the area taking care of all tables and almost always someone standing there waiting to help someone.

If you have a budget and number of people someone can probably recommend somewhere.