Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Also looking more likely than not the country will basically be shut down from April 27th to May 6th due to the Emperor abdicated on 4/30 and Golden Week going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Almost every country has some sort of period where you're allowed to work while visiting it if you're still working for your home country/business. If you work for a local company or a company with a local office it may be different.

Japan has it kick in when you hit around 180 days out of a rolling 365 day period. I think 183 is the exact number, but you should probably be able to find it via some searches.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Freelance would probably be different. Though you may be able to argue that each contract is created based on your permanent residence location. Especially if you aren't contracting with Japanese people/companies.

It's probably worth a short consultation with a tax accountant and/or lawyer if you're not on a full time gig somewhere and just working remotely.

People work all the time while traveling and just because it's 90 days instead of 9 days won't change the laws.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Why eat kushikatsu when you can have Hub ale and pizza?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Best Conbini is Uber eats

You get MacDonald's, local kebab, famichiki, and cocoichi all at the same time from your sofa

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If it has noodles it's not real chili

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Also you rarely need reserved seats unless you want to guarantee you sit together and have more than 2 people.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/jp/tokyo/date/2023-10-03

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Nama > bi-ru

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Japan: Shinkansens are mid

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Question Mark Mound posted:

On the topic of speaking Japanese, I feel like I need a proper answer for the inevitable "nihongo jouzu" because I could just about ask for a drink at a bar.

What's a good (and simple!) way to basically say "I know I'm barely able to speak but I appreciate the gesture"

My Japanese teacher told me to use "madamada"

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Go to a bar and just give the game to a random person.

Okashi no machioka is where to go for sweets. Donki is mid tier targeting well known things for tourists. Machioka has that plus a ton of other things.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Shredder posted:

What is the Japan version of DayQuil/NyQuil, I have fallen ill and need to kick this poo poo to the curb, I only have 3 days left

I got some bron but it doesn't seem to be doing poo poo, and googling indicates most of the cold meds here have caffeine

Edit: pharmacist at donki hooked me up with some yasumo which has no caffeine. Also the cough drops are by the gummy worms and not the cough medicine. Hope it works!

BRON liquid version works nearly as well.

BRON pill version is poo poo and doesn't knock you out.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I have 2 topen tickets in my group for Jimmy Carr on Monday 1/29 (1830 doors, 1930 start) if anyone wants a ticket or to join. They were 8900 each and should be pretty good seats since I bought them early, but they haven't told us seat numbers yet so who knows.

E: gone

Aredna fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 24, 2024

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Mister Chief posted:

Literally exactly the same as any show since the audience is 99% gaijin.

First time in Japan he also had material on Fukushima and about 5 minutes taking the poo poo out of English teachers.

Latter part was the quietest part of the night because it turns out they don't like being on the receiving end of his jokes.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Gabriel Grub posted:

I would love to hear that material.

Me, too. I was drunk enough I don't remember it. Hoping he does it again this time or at least a similar bit

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Aredna posted:

I have 2 topen tickets in my group for Jimmy Carr on Monday 1/29 (1830 doors, 1930 start) if anyone wants a ticket or to join. They were 8900 each and should be pretty good seats since I bought them early, but they haven't told us seat numbers yet so who knows.

E: gone

1 open ticket for tonight again. A goon got sick last minute

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
A wise man visits Nagoya once. Only a fool visits it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

Now I'm trying to find a map with all 200 exits of Shinjuku station, but human technology hasn't found a way to imbed this information in a 2D image yet

Please be sure it includes all other stations which are connected to it via walking without going outside.

This includes at least seibu-shinjuku, Shinjuku-sanchome, tochomae, and potentially nishishinjuku.