Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I got accepted to live and work on some remote farms near Yasugi. I had NO plans to go to Japan a month ago, but now it's looking like i'll be there for 2 months. I'll be spending 1 month working and will have lodging and everything else taken care of by the org and then will be spending a month traveling. For now though I'm just trying to get my flight and train booked.

I need to be in Yasugi by Sept 5th, so I was looking at flying out of Portland, OR Sept 1 and arrive in Tokyo Sept 2nd that night, sleep over night and spend a day or two in Tokyo and take the Sunrise Izumo to Yasugi the night of Sept 3 or 4 (but leaves after midnight?).

JPRail says I can book a Nobi Nobi seat in advanced, and I'm planing on bringing my camping air pad anyway. There's no other way to upgrade to a private room unless I hope for some availability to upgrade at the station?

Just want to make sure this all looks correct. I'll have more questions, but literally got accepted yesterday to this program.

I guess also i don't need a 7 day JR pass, only a 1 day until I'm traveling around in oct. Trying to find just a one day over night train ticket.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I grew up in Kentucky. I am nails.

I might fly if I can't get a single one way ticket since it's probably on the same level price wise as a 7 day JR pass.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Are you trying to get booked with Horimitsu? Jealous if you are.

Kyoto is famous for its pottery along with Hagi which is about 2 hours from Hiroshima. I’m biased though bc my trip focus will be on crafts

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

History Comes Inside! posted:

I sure am.

I got a yokai piece from Ganji at Tokyo Three Tides last trip, this time I wanna get one of Horimitsu’s tigers.

We are also trying to get in last minute with him. I’d love a pottery tiger.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Discussions with my partner have been the same way and I’m just like do your research I can’t do it for you and will meet you wherever you want to see something cool.

Recommendations for flea/thrift/second hand markets in larger cities in October? Antique browsing is one of my favorite travel activities. Also craft/makers markets. I have a few pottery festivals on my list.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Trying to get a very loose itinerary together. We will have Oct 5-Nov 1 to do anything. Oct 5-11 is week to myself. My partner arrives in Tokyo, Oct 11 in the late afternoon. We do have mutual hard dates in Tokyo Oct 21 & 22 for tattoo sessions with Horimitsu :getin:

We both want to go to Hiroshima, Nihama Taiko Fest and Mt Fuji

I have a Kyoto Pottery festival I'd love to get to.

Starting in Yasugi since I'll be there all of September:

Oct 5-11 I plan to work my way down the coast and end up in Hagi to explore pottery there and I'm not sure what else on the coast? I'm open to ideas here.

Oct 12-14 Hiroshima and meet up with partner there?

Oct 15 travel to Niihama and leave the 17 in the evening

17-20 Kyoto, first day of pottery fest is the 20 and leave for Tokyo in the evening

21/22 tattoo days in Ikebukuro, Tokyo

From there I'm just???? We aren't big city folk as we've spent enough time in NYC. I was thinking we head back to Kyoto and set up base there, Fuji area/Hakone with relaxation time and be back in Tokyo for Halloween. Nice last dinner Nov 1

Fly out Nov 2

I'm thinking we might have to drop Niihama and save for another time to spend more quality time Kyoto? This would open up the back half of our trip after tattoos to do more. I'm afraid Kyoto will be like Antigua, Guate and overrun and a terrible time unless we do the weekday there.

Notes on us
He's into sashiko and kintsugi, of course me with pottery
Adventurous eaters not big drinkers.
I think a contemporary wrestling match would be fun.
He wants to visit the big fish market.
Private onsens before tattoos
Both love to browse flea markets/antique markets/craft markets.

If we don't go to Niihama then what's another good big festival that would be later in the month?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 15, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I guess one more question is I’m a women’s size US 6 or small and about 5’7”. I was thinking of picking up field work clothes over there but really concerned about finding my size esp with long sleeves. Puts me at a JP 11. Is that approaching plus size there?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

harperdc posted:

Define “field work,” but if all else fails, Uniqlo should work. Probably in the women’s M or L range.

We will be working on a strawberry farm, succulent farm, tea farm, field clearing, fruit tree pruning, green roofs as some examples in 30s temps with humidity and some rain. Hot, sweaty work.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

harperdc posted:

Go peruse Workman’s website for stuff. Shops in-person may or may not be close to stations.

Looks promising! Thank you

We decided to drop Naiihama and go to the festival in Himeji plus meet up there and I’m definitely going to the sake fest.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 16, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My one overnight bus experience was Guatemala City to Tikal and I was also sick with food poisoning never again bus

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We've narrowed down Kyoto as where we want to do the ryokan and onsen experiences. Anyone have places they recommend? Either tattoo friendly for the public baths or a private couples option? Also any other lodging recs?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’m spending a week in Hiroshima and pretty excited to explore the city in depth, you can find me drinking sake at the festival on that Sunday :cool:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I got my medical waiver and was working on my customs form online, having never done this (bringing medicine that is banned in that country), do I need to claim I am bringing prohibited items and then show my medical form or just mark no? I have a medication that is banned in Japan I'm bringing in for personal use.

"(1) Narcotic drugs, stimulants, marijuana, psychotropic substances, MDMA, designated drugs."

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Ok thank you. I’ll do that.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The Suica shortage is some real chaos here right now. Also Visa is blocking foreign cards from registering Suicas so I can’t even use the app. Some say Mastercard and Amex work though.

Just a FYI for anyone coming in the next few weeks

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

peanut posted:

Ay caramba

If Suica app is wonky try Pasmo, or Icoca*

I have not tried this advice because I have stacks Suica cards and JP credit cards

I’m here for a while if I could borrow yours :p

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

KingKapalone posted:

We're visiting in just over two weeks so I'll have to learn about these cards. It's just like a subway card in NYC?

Bring a Mastercard or Amex. Once you’re in Japan you can register for a digital one using Apple wallet or as other people mentioned Passmo also in wallet. It looked like physical Passmos are also endangered

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Grand Fromage posted:

hope you bought the right paper ticket for the right train company motherfucker

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
October Ghibli tickets are up now

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
No cause it makes you call to verify. If you’re trying to get Ghibli id offer to courier but we are about to leave home base for a few days :/

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Looking for recommendations for the north of japan. We have about 5 days and a JR pass to get us around. Wouldn’t mind some leaf peeping and just a slower pace to end a long journey.

Dates would help: 10/26-10/30

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 16, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Few questions about the JR site

I am already in Japan, do I mark my arrival as the port I was issued my visa (HND) earlier this month, even though I want to exchange at Hiroshima in October? I'm assuming they are matching stamps.

Is Hiroshima JR offices big enough to not have a meltdown when I want to exchange? My little Yasugi station told me to go one city over and a friend told me Matsue station also had meltdown when someone wanted to buy a JRPass there, even though the JR site lists them as an exchange location.

I'd like to save ~$70 from courier services. A $38 shipping fee is a rip with this company:https://www.japanrailpass-reservation.net/

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 21, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I am a bit biased but shimane and tottori have been fun to hang out in. Buy some high quality yet cheap knives at Wakou, visit the coolest blacksmith, stunt on grandmas as you monster walk past them down the dunes, izumo taisha, Mt Daisen, the cute pink electric shimaneko train and every day looking like a Ghibli movie.

It’s not overrun with western tourists and you will be on Google translate a lot, but people here are happy to see you and very welcoming to their out of the way spots.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 29, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
everyone wants knives in the states i feel like a goddamn dealer with the amount of knives traveling in my luggage. hopefully Yamato doesnt laugh in my face at my luggage request.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yamato does international and there’s always DHL

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I had my first run in with the police yesterday, which is funny to me in rural Japan. We were waiting for the clouds to clear on Daisen to get a good shot on the way back from a cafe visit. I generally thought he was just asking if we were ok, but he rolls up, says he saw us on the local news (we have been on local tv a few times) and after doing a quick fan boy, asks us for our residence cards and registration on the bikes the guest house provided for us and runs their numbers thinking we stole them.

I had my passport on me and my friend didn’t, which ended up with them meeting us at our apartment. Two men in suits roll up, one playing good cop who knew the family hosting us and the other making a big stink, or as my hosts says, “being a huge dick about it”. The girl has the same first name as my middle name so they were getting real confused why I wasn’t there.

This is a town where they still talk about a melon thief from last year and Russian break ins from 30 years ago. My host says he’s going to complain cause he’s trying to run a hosting business and doesn’t need local cops messing with his guests.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I had the feeling to carry it that day, esp after reading passport chat. Definitely have left stuff out and have never had anything stolen after a month here.

Wrapping up the farming program and now will be traveling around for a month. I’m thinking of being a coordinator for this org and coming back for their spring trip as an employee. Japan is pretty great.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yes please write simple sentences in translators. I’ve had better luck with those plus some body language.

Bee—ru oh-nay-guy-she-ma-s

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I didn’t realize I did a rough fish and chips just now with pickled mackerel and potato wedges. I ordered them separately…fried potato is instinctual for me lol

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

peanut posted:

Btw it's time for Saijo Festival and Niihama Taiko Festival. The inaka parties hard.

Also Nada no kenka, which we are at right now.

Saijo was a blast

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have a Schwab international checking account and just use it where I can and use it like a regular debit.

They used to reimburse ATM fees but I guess they stopped it

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Kaddish posted:

Day 2 of 5 staying in dotonbori and not sure if we regret it yet. It’s a madhouse.

lol owned. we had dinner with a friend heading out in Osaka and he took us around and again lol owned

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 18, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Just a stupidly pretty sunset at Kiyomizudera today. We caught the last hour of it being open.

I’m ready to leave the amusement park that is Kyoto though. The locals hate you, and after a month in the inaka and living in NYC I’m also over huge groups of tourists and can empathize.

We decided to go to Sendai after our tattoo appointments in Tokyo. Hopefully more nature walks in Buddhist temples and less dodging instagram influencers.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 19, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I lost control and spent so much money on ceramics…again. There’s a woman in Tokyo who specializes in rare stuff from the Kyushu region. Only 10 kilns making the stuff she sells.

It’s so beautiful I wish I could have bought bigger items.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

ntan1 posted:

Who specifically?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5Dax92taiN88E1o2A?g_st=ic

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

.Z. posted:

That's really dangerous knowledge for me...

The prices are also pretty reasonable for the work she has to do to get the stuff. I spent 10.5¥ and picked up a matcha mixing bowl, two small to medium plates, and a small vase.

We ended up buying an extra suitcase at the Tokyo flea market today for 2.5k¥. Also found a painted scroll on silk for 2k in its OG box with papers, and another tea bowl in it’s OG signed box plus various other smaller items. I think we spent maybe 10k. Flea markets own.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
If Kyoto can move away from buses into subway or light rail, it would make commuting in the city way more bearable for everyone.

I loved Hiroshimas system. I think I took every form of transit there as there was always something to use.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We have been trying to find second hand but more Japan style than western style clothing shops. But we are also both way taller and bigger than Japanese people so I don’t know how much luck we will have.

We really do want to pick up some samue in a comfy Turkish cotton, if anyone has a place to check out?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We are currently staying in Sendai. Yesterday was Yamadera, today was Shiogama fish market building our own don and then Matsushima. We missed out and didn’t realize how much there was nature wise to enjoy in Matsushima so we are going back for a stop over on the way back to Tokyo. It was nice to also get the small town welcome again, I missed it. Sendai is good vibes with seeing more outdoorsy people around.

We are going to Hirosaki and Aomori this weekend, so trip report. The leaves haven’t really changed even in Yamadera, except for the very tall mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We crossed that bridge on accident and at the time I was lugging a lot of heavy pottery with me. We could have not walked the extra 20 minutes but my partner did guess wrong. I was so pissed.

Btw never eating another eikiben again. They are not kind to me.