Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It doesn't really matter if you fly into Haneda or Narita. HND is closer to downtown but NRT is usually significantly cheaper.
Get cash from atms on arrival.
Research a JR Pass.
And I hope you can stay with friends because Christmas-New Year is peak travel season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh yeah atms close nights and weekends lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This probably won't affect first time visitors, but 7-11 has minimal/no presence in some rural areas. We got our first 7-11 two years ago :toot:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah tbh google translate is p good, esp if you keep your sentences short and simple. They added a pronunciation guide under the Japanese text box.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Can you live without US Netflix for the few months you're living in a new country, or do you just GOTTA keep up with your shows?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Steam? You can live without that too, I promise.

Although the videos on pbskids.org are blocked here :japan:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

quote:

From the 13th until the 15th, we'd be in Onomichi. We intend to bike around there, even do the bridges to Imabari and back on the 14th. Would this be feasible in a day?
- Finally, on the 19th, take the train from Osaka ro Tokyo for our flight back.

You won't be able to do a round-trip Onomichi-Imabari in one day (the bike road is 70km one way), but you can faff about on the islands closest to Onomichi.

Everyone please go to a Carp home game.

Don't spend your last day rushing towards the airport. Get back to Tokyo a day earlier to finish shopping, repacking, and always double check your flight time 24 hours in advance.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Our flight is actually the 20th in the afternoon, forgot to mention we're already doing that!

As for the Shimanami Kaido, I heard you can do it in three hours or so. Our plan was to start around 8 in the morning, have lunch in Imabari, relax there and bike back. How long do you reckon a one-way trip takes? We could also take a ferry to Imabari and bike back, or do it the other way around and take a ferry from Imabari back to Onomichi.

http://www.go-shimanami.jp/sp/cycling/model/

Distance: 70km

Times:
Pro 3 hours
Fast 4-5 hours
Regular 5-6 hours
Slow 8-10 hours

Bike rentals:
April-September 8am-8pm
October-March 8am-5pm

Don't count on frequent ferries.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Also sheesh July please keep your passports with you so the coast guard can ID your wilted corpses

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ A+. I'm linking your post in the op. Japan is a difficult place to be vegetarian.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Any absolutely great places people in here stayed at in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka/Hiroshima?

Kyoto: I wanted to stay at JAM sake bar & hostel but no kids allowed. We stayed at Rakuza instead.

Hiroshima: Flex for chill, Hana Hostel for baseball.

Osaka: I always stayed at Chuo business hotel which is ugly and in a drab neighborhood but is v convenient for subway and airport express access.

Tokyo idk I am inaka bumpkin

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Both are wrong, both are correct. Do whatever is most logical/other people are doing. If a sidewalk is hella crowded and the road is full of parked cars and buses, walking the bike down the sidewalk is an acceptable compromise.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

join the military and have them do it for you

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Debit card with pin. Exchange rates are actually decent at atms and even airport kiosks. Tell your home bank in advance and confirm your daily max.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

U inspired them

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

tbh I'm hella jelly

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese people love tourist traps and generic souvenirs so actually everything ever is very authentic :japan:

There is an izakaya somewhere in Tokyo that does Awa Odori dance alongs. I tend to just do big city things which usually means eating Thai and Vietnamese food.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our bidet is heated

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What do you guys think

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ugh read (the post immediately below) the op

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jake Soo posted:

I'm in Kyoto with my parents (60+) who are showing signs of travel fatigue. We're taking it slow this time, so some light sightseeing is in order. We've got the whole day reserved for tomorrow, but we're not gonna be early wakers.

Hanami (Heian Jingu? ask your hotel), day drinking, picnic, pizza, go to Uji or Otsu, public baths.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The age verification on LINE is obnoxious so everyone just adds me instead.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'd do kaiseki at a ryokan. You can also try a course dinner at a sushi izakaya that will be much cheaper.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I heard that traveler's checks have been replaced by prepaid cards.

Japan is a cash society so a credit card won't really be useable outside of hotels.

Exchange cash and/or use an atm on arrival.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ok enjoy eating at Gusto for every meal guys

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The main draw of Gusto is T points and being open at breakfast time

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cessy posted:

Anyone have any experience bringing in a pet and leaving them with a caretaker in quarantine? My ability to google ballpark expenses for importing our two cats is failing miserably on this subject.

Quarantine is 6 months, isn't it? How long are you planning to stay in Japan?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

quote:

but it seems like most of it either requires fluency, or the postings are intended to hire really low cost talent.

Basically this. The companies don't really know what kind of tech staff they need, so fluency is usually prioritized over competency.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Companies are bad at efficiency and productivity.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It will be terrible even before you get to Mt Fuji. Please change your travel dates

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Climbing Fuji jet lagged would be ideal considering the whole sunrise watching thing

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Government trees.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Glorious artistic udon

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Recycle shops like Hard Off (lol) have lots of weeb toys

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some broad af questions here but I hear Kanazawa is nice.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The only problem is that early September is still hot af. Less crowds than proper summer break, though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can't go wrong with a daytrip to Nikko.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Europe has four regions: cold, wine, iron curtain and England.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JR Pass for long distance, special deal for tourists only. Suica for urban commuting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

I'll be going to Japan this October for ~14days, we'll want to visit Osaka, Kyoto an Tokyo. What do you guys recommend on the amount of time to stay in each places? We'll want to have the most time for Tokyo. Also any recommendations for nice daytrips would be really grand (Any good places for hiking/nature suff would be cool). I was in Tokyo and Kyoto last year for a week but only kept to the city and didn't really see much else.

Nikkkkkooooo
I'd say come to Ehime for matsuri but I can't really host goons this year.