Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

anakha posted:

Thanks for the advice regarding the Kyushu JR pass. It looks like I'd still spend less on individual tickets than the pass.

For getting around via bus and metro in Fukuoka, should I be getting the Sugoca or Nimoca IC card? Used to pay solely via cash before but that was in Tokyo/Osaka where the metro covers pretty much everything and I figure IC cards would be easier this time around since there are places in Fukuoka more easily accessible via bus.

Suica/Icoca/Sugoca can be used across most of Japan, with exceptions for less visited cities that aren't on your itinerary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In March I led two tour groups of 25/47 people and my observation is that from an airline perspective, it's better to use one big suitcase instead of two small suitcases.

If you are great at packing light and won't do any shopping and have very tight transfers, then you can do carry-on only. But if you are traveling with anyone else and even one of you needs to check a bag, then you will be waiting at baggage claim anyway, so you might as well take advantage of the baggage allowance.
Some economy fares allow two suitcases, some only allow one, so check your policy before you pack.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

bovis posted:

For something a bit different, if you're into doing a bit of light hiking (honestly would barely call it that) I went up to Sandankyo Gorge for a day trip last year and it was a good time. Some really beautiful views and I had a great curry at the little restaurant/rest stop partway through the walk. Would take up your whole day so you'll probably want to be spending a couple days here and not just visiting for a day.

If anyone does travel to Hiroshima and wants to get some good Okonomiyaki and drink some beers then hit me up! Always fun meeting with travellers here

quoting this so I can find you when the time is right

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Teppanyaki steak course, lots of options in Ginza/Yurakucho area, including upscale hotels.

High level but casual sushi under the tracks at Kanda station
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Tb9AB5HG7yi2LHC5A

Fugu and Kaiseki at Shinbashi station
https://maps.app.goo.gl/k35TxR9PQKSFTinb9

peanut fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 9, 2024

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

field balm posted:

I've got a trip coming up in September, I don't really understand but what are the chances the yen stays the same until then? I saw today that we're at 100 yen to 1 aud, which is insane. Should I just change a couple thousand bucks now? I've always just used the ATM's over there previously but that's like 20 percent higher than last time i went over.

If we could predict exchange rates we would all be rich rn. If you think it's good then just go for it, it will probably be the same in September.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

This doesn't seem to be working well for me but I'll Google monthly rentals. Thanks for the link. I just wondered if anyone had some cheap recommendations or hacks first!

Based on my previous searches, monthly rentals are restricted to legal residents, and not available for tourists. Either your company needs to rent it for you, or just use AirBnB which has apartments and "extended stay" hotel listings.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Tamachi stn. area this time. Never done anything around there, but it's right off Yamanote so can't go wrong either way. .

I've walked through the maze of old bars between Tamachi and Mita station and thought it would be cool to explore at night.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

When people ask me how I became fluent in Japanese, I tell them that first in the US I was a huge nerd then I took classes for 2 years then I moved to rural Japan and worked at normal Japanese kindergarten for 15 years and also having a good mother in law is important.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

harperdc posted:

Also, get tickets for right field/left field, (外野), those are the standing/singing sections at Japanese pro baseball games. It will at least be noisy and feel exciting to go along, and doing so means spending half the game cheering/singing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good Listener posted:

I might've missed it but do most places in Tokyo take all major US credit cards? I just wanna make sure it won't be an issue when I use my Visa to check in to hotels and the like.

Also are there any historic sites/shrines/temples in the Tokyo area that you'd all think are must sees? Like in Kyoto there's Kyomizudera and such so I was just wondering if you all had thoughts on those sort of sites I should make sure not to pass up.

Everything on this list https://www.hotels.com/go/japan/best-temples-and-shrines-tokyo plus:
Zojo-ji
Yasukuni Jinja
Tsukiji outer market area (and Namiyoke Jinja if you're in the area)
Ameyoko shopping street

RE: Cash and cards
Bring a debit (ATM) card and a credit card. Some card readers don't like the small chip on my US card, so always carry cash as a backup. For big withdrawals, I recommend 7-11 atms because they let you take out up to 100,000 yen/transaction.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shrines are often 24 hrs so you can also go at night. The shops will be closed but the gorgeous architecture will still be there (Senso-ji too!)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

154 yen to 1 usd
:eyepop:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The actual IDP is just a translation of your US license with your photo, signed by Debbie in Florida.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Common sense isn't common

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Otoh I did that in the US and got a nod of appproval from the grizzled biker casheir so I felt very accomplished.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It used to be Ameyoko, then it was Nakameguro, and now it's probably back to Ameyoko again.

Asakusa side streets also have a lot of everything including those Kewpie dolls with yakuza tattoos
https://maps.app.goo.gl/85oN4MsyiHeoG7AR9

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sukajan means "Yokosuka jacket" (US military base neighborhood) and they're a variation of bomber/baseball jacket.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Goshuin is fun and cool and I highly recommend it unless you're traveling in a large group (15+) in which case the goshuin collectors slow everything down

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Green tea kit kats and norishio potato chips, big boxes of souvenir snacks designed to be left in office break rooms, Family Mart socks and lucky charms from shrines for your most important people.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tabelog includes number of seats in the "Seats/facilities" section of the restaurant information, under the days/hours and whether they accept credit cards or not.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's fine, Kyoto is basically a commonwealth colony at this point.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The monkey park in Arashiyama is a safe place to see monkeys. It's 20 minutes up the trail to the top of the mountain so it's closed on rainy days.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

This one

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Or this one, lol, lmao

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In summary

quote:

Public transport within Greater Tokyo is dominated by the world's most extensive urban rail network (as of May 2014, the article Tokyo rail list lists 158 lines, 48 operators, 4,714.5 km of operational track and 2,210 stations [although stations are recounted for each operator]) of suburban trains and subways run by a variety of operators, with buses, trams, monorails, and other modes supporting the railway lines. The above figures do not include any Shinkansen services.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Now I'm trying to find a map with all 200 exits of Shinjuku station, but human technology hasn't found a way to imbed this information in a 2D image yet

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

drink chuhais on the sidewalk for safety

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Confirmed, make friends with jolly yakuza looking guys and they'll pay for everything

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

no, there's nothing, i'm sorry

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Odawara is also a museum in castle shape. It's gorgeous from the outside but the inside is completely modern because it was built in 1960. The samurai vibe in the castle grounds is excellent.

Himeji castle is the top choice.

Okayama castle is modernized with authentic elements.

Matsuyama Castle is all wood and narrow stairs in the best way.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes, 10th at 18:00. Good luck!
https://kirbycafe-reserve.com/guest/tokyo/
ご予約につきましては、毎月10日18:00に翌月のお席の受付を開始いたします。

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Based on my experience, Bank of America doesn't have travel notifications anymore, they just let AI flag suspicious activity.
If you need to unlock it you need to call their customer service, which is also automated, as an international call.

They didn't let me use an ATM in Vietnam even though I booked my flight and hotel with the same account.:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Get a paper travel guide from a bookstore or library