Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'm a fan of Khaosan's hostels; I stayed in their Kyoto one and a now-closed one in Tokyo. I'm told these two locations (both in Asakusa) are good: World and Lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
It's been a few years since I went, but I think you can see everything at a leisurely pace and be done in about three hours.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I've just booked tickets for a trip to Tokyo during Hanami next spring. This will be my third time going to Tokyo, but my first since I started transition (M2F-ish). I'm genderqueer and my presentation on most days is somewhat androgynous. The gender marker on all my ID (including passport) is female, but I suspect on most days it will be fairly obvious I'm not a cis woman. My traveling partner, on the other hand, is a cis woman.

Should I expect confusion/trouble/etc if I use women's restrooms when out and about in the city? I figure Tokyo is pretty cosmopolitan, but I know perception of trans folks in Japan differs a lot from the perception in the US.

(On that note, are there any onsens worth visiting where I wouldn't be causing trouble for the staff and other guests? I know some onsens have private areas instead of just two sex-segregated communal areas.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Stringent posted:

Oh yeah, Pollyana you're into cooking right? Tsukiji Masamoto has a shop in the outer market. They've got a listing of their knives here so you can see what they've got: https://www.mtckitchen.com/japanese-knives/brand/tsukiji-masamoto/
You should totally snag one while you're there because the prices in the shop are 1/3-1/2 of what they are imported. I've got a carbon gyuto and it's a loving awesome knife.

Dang, this looks like a great idea. I'm going to have to try getting one myself when I go next.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I'm arriving Sunday with my Schwab Bank (no ATM fee, no international fee, refunds all third-party ATM fees) card and will investigate.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Then you really shouldn't have gone to Japan, should you now?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

inklesspen posted:

I'm arriving Sunday with my Schwab Bank (no ATM fee, no international fee, refunds all third-party ATM fees) card and will investigate.

Got 30k from the 7-11 ATM at Narita on Sunday, which showed up as $288.79 in my Schwab Bank account. There's no transaction fee for my card, and the receipt says the "handling fee" is charged by Seven Bank, so I'm guessing it's an ATM fee from the Seven Bank side.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Magic Underwear posted:

Having just got back I will endorse tmobile big time for internet. I paid $10 extra for the month for extra speed and it was no different than being back home except for streaming video, which wasn't a big deal. No sim swapping, no extra thing to haul and charge and pick up/drop off, etc.

By the way, huge shout out to google maps. Aside from super detailed maps for walking it did a nearly perfect job with public transportation navigation. It has routes, schedules, tells you how many stops to go and even how much to pay. Hyperdia was better for JR stuff but maps was the poo poo for day to day. Especially the feature that colors in...I don't know what you call it, areas with high concentrations of restaurants and bars and stores and stuff. Keeps you from accidentally wandering into mundane office/residential areas. Although, I did have a really good time walking through a mundane residential area in sugamo to visit an onsen where I was the only white person. So that was worth it.

I used tmobile too, and it mostly worked, but there were periods where it'd seem connected, but nothing would load (and Google Maps wouldn't be able to route me anywhere) and then 5 minutes later it'd switch from Softbank to Docomo or something.