Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

Should I get a bunch of traveler's checks before I go to Japan? Or can I get by with a credit card just about everywhere?
Travelers checks are a joke.

Check that your atm network has presence in Japan and if so you're good. I wouldn't rely solely on credit cards for foreign travel anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Do they have any frame arms girls

Those are made by Kotobukiya not Bandai so no.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Slow Graffiti posted:

And now I’m curious: are there ticket reselling laws, i.e. anti-scalping, in Japan, or are there cultural factors that come into play with that sort of thing? Seems like an incredibly lucrative market to get into, especially with Ghibli, olympics, concert tix, etc.

PS. Patent pending.

This is going to be like bringing smallpox to North America.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They’ll probably have some swag for you and maybe a stuffed Yoda delivering snacks, I got a postcard and plastic card for flying on the BB-8 ANA plane a few years ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

I was so drunk trying to take my pants off during the show that I fell out of the peep booth.
The girl was like "maybe I should do you first" so I was the first stop on her handy circuit.
That's my foremost omotenashi experience. :japan:

awesome

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

What's the story with Adelstein? I've seen a few different people dump on him but I don't know why he's terrible (though to be honest my memory of his book is mostly dominated by the awkwardness of him describing getting fingered during a handjob at a Soapland).

The stories he tells are mostly fakes, plain and simple. He did have a unique experience as a reporter assigned to a regular section of a newspaper rather than the English section, but he has laid down so much bullshit about it that you can't really believe anything he says. Which is too bad, because for a number of things he's probably the only easily accessible perspective for English speakers. He trades a lot on his supposed personal relationships with some Yaks, and cites them in many of his writings, but there's a decent chance any given yakuza he cites doesn't exist and he's almost certainly putting words in the mouths of the ones who are real people.

This thread (caution: reddit) has some good points but barely scratches the surface: https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/3lnpt6/is_jake_adelstein_a_good_source_for_investigative/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

They do get cleaned up usually by prison labor, at least in CA.

But more often the roadside is full of debris from crashes previously on the highway.

Look out at the pile of cigarette butts to the left of the travel lanes next time you pull up to a stoplight. I have never seen a cigarette smoker do anything besides just throw their butt on the ground when they’re done regardless of where they are.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

lol people in Hawaii complain when it gets to the low 70s

Soft, with a capital S

It’s almost as if the human body can adapt to its environment or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’m a type 1 diabetic using two different types of insulin pens (long and short acting). Should I expect to have to taken these for the customs inspection, and how many will they let me bring in without needing the special permit?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Basically, yakkan shomei is only required for more than 1 month's supply and/or specific medicines.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/serviceinfo/share/assist/support/medical/insulin.html

https://www.dk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visamed.html

Thanks! The “one or two syringes = a month” is a little stingy but I’m there for just a few days so I can chance it without a backup.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Got back yesterday from my first visit.

It was really good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DiscoJ posted:

Work out how to express your name in hiragana and enter it. It’s basically there as a pronunciation guide for whatever gets entered into the kanji field (since the kanji can have many different readings).

If you want to do this quickly put your name in google translate and move the katakana output to hiragana.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spanish Inquisition posted:

I know this is from a few pages back, but I wanted to chime in as a T1 who just got to Japan for a 3 month stay.

I was sweating bullets at customs, but the attendant didn't check a single bag.

For posterity / any future diabetics in this thread: as far as applying for and getting a yakkan shoumei (which, as peanut said, you only need if you're brining in more than a 1 month supply), the process was super easy. If you're just traveling on a tourist visa, you don't need a physical, original copy. I emailed my application and documents to the ministry of health and received a digital yakkan shoumei within 24 hours. Just print it out and keep it in your carry on with your meds. Easy Peasy.

I would love to hear how traveling to Japan effects your bg levels. For whatever reason, I'm constantly low and have had to adjust my Lantus considerably. I've actually been less active here than at home in the US, so... it's just baffling.

LOL. My b.

It's cool, thanks for sharing your experience, especially about the permit being a next day email. I was mostly concerned because everything I could find said "one month supply" which is pretty easy for something like pills, but for pens the only information I saw said "no more than two for a one-month supply" and that wasn't on an official site. Since I'm on two different insulins (Tresiba and Fiasp) and like to carry an spare of both in case I lose one, plus I have terrible bad luck and wanted to be prepared if COVID-19 got out of hand while I was there and I got a deal like what those cruise ship passengers are currently enjoying. I was concerned that taking three or four pens would land me in narco smuggling jail as soon as I tried to clear immigration. Ultimately since it was a four day visit I opted to simply carry two new pens and be careful, and nobody looked in my bags anyway, but next time I'll just apply for the permit and have some backups.

I didn't have much of a problem with my glucose getting out of hand on my visit. I always get a little disrupted on travel, probably due to body time and local time being out of whack, and it was such a short trip I didn't really have a chance to stabilize. I was running a little low for most of this trip, but it was easy enough to stick a couple of coins in a vending machine or hit a 7-11 and get back in business.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nanigans posted:

Only bad thing I can say about Japanese food is how much mayo they slather on stuff. Makes some foods drat near inedible. Mayo is so gross.

I got your back here mang, mayonnaise can gently caress off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keep an eye out that any specific events or museums you want to see don’t get closed out of contagion fears.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Nakagin capsule tower is right next to Ginza if you're into that kind of thing. Otherwise, uh... it's pretty much an upscale shopping/eating district, there's not a ton to do around there if you're not looking to drop some cash. It's easy walking distance to the Imperial Palace, you can wander some of the outer palace grounds unless that's closed off.

There’s a neat rooftop garden atop Ginza Six. Nakagin Capsule Tower doesn’t let you in the building if you don’t live there though it’s still neat from the outside.

Edit: Hamarikyu Gardens is a nice urban oasis.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 1, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

edit: not gonna say mean things~

That was a pretty good one though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

I don't know what it says but of everything that sold out when panic buying happened in China--alcohol-based sanitizer, masks, general disinfectants, handsoap, fresh produce, etc...--toilet paper never sold out in here, lol.

Superior bidet technology blunted the demand. :tutbutt:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

At this point I feel it is far less about the ability to self quarantine and far more about the potential that you will lose the capacity to travel back home. I have serious reservations that if I can make it to Japan I will be able to return to hone because I have a layover in the United States and the US just barred all flights from Europe.

Here’s how to get home: https://www.freightercruises.com

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

leather fedora posted:

If you just want merch in general, I would suggest the second-hand places like K-Books, Mandarake, Suruga-ya (6 shops in Akihabara, 1 in Shinjuku), Lashinbang, and Robot Robot. Avoid the rental showcase stores; most everything there will be trying to take advantage of tourists/collectors, but they can be fun to browse if you have time.

After a few hours of that I found myself getting numbed out to brightly colored plastic, so give yourself a break if it starts to become unfun.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Cherries have already started blooming in Tokyo. Was a very warm winter this year so they're going super early.

They’re going to peak this weekend in DC.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phone posted:

poo poo!

Talk to the airline, hotel, etc. directly rather than loving around with the credit card people.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Oops guess it’s a bad time to start bidding on stuff on Yahoo auctions.

E: oh wait it’s the other way around

Yes they'll still send stuff out of Japan, just not accept things coming in from overseas.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Definitely have the worst, most disrespectful, citizens.

The UK are past masters at this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

I wonder what'll happen to stuff slated to ship, say, a month or two from now

A lot of places have removed EMS and SAL as shipping options and suggest FedEx and DHL instead. Some will delay shipping if you prefer that. I have a box that made it to the post office two weeks before the EMS cutoff but didn’t make it out. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Right on red is an almost uniquely American affectation; it got put in place during the 1970s oil crunches and we forgot to repeal it.

In general I find that I don’t have problems when I’m in a drive on the left place because I’m hyper vigilant while there. It’s when I get back home afterwards that I’m more likely to not pay attention and let a half-overwritten reflex get me into trouble. If you’re not sure move slowly and deliberately; while it may annoy other drivers it’s never illegal.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

I loved the robot restaurant, but I was chugging chuhais with my friend the whole time so I was going to have a great time.

But yeah as a gaudy tourist attraction it's perfect with all the over the top crazy Japan a tourist needs if that's what they want to experience.

I went in February; one of the two guys I was traveling with had been before and suggested it. It's not something I probably would have picked out just by looking at the come-ons for it, but I was glad I saw it. It's not something I feel like I need to make a lot of repeat visits to but it's a good way to spend a couple of hours.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I am up in the air about AirBnB’ing it next May but god dang it’s really hard to spring for a hotel when $100/night gets me a fantastic apartment vs a cramped dingy hotel room run by a racist in just about any prefecture I search. Not hot on dorms either.

I haven’t ever stayed in Japan for more than $70/night so I’m even being generous assuming I can’t find the same kind of accommodations and have to go up to $100/night. I’m only iffy on AirBnB because I’m not sure what the post rona situation will be.

E: Canadian dollaz

Absent a clearly stated refund policy, at this point I wouldn’t put down any money for travel or events that you aren’t okay just throwing away.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

im pretty sure putting fingers in our ears and going LALALALA NOPE means we're immune but yeah you're probably right

might need to put japan specifically on hold and look for some alternatives. unfortunate but it helps knowing this is global, we're not the only ones disadvantaged by this

Another thing to keep in mind for any foreign travel before we have widely available and effective vaccines or prophylactic treatment is that you may have additional time on both ends of any trip: the global standard seems to be two weeks in isolation when you arrive at your destination, and two weeks in isolation when you return home. That's a month on top of the time spent at the destination, which makes a lot of travel not worth it unless you're going to be there for several weeks.

I hate to dump on your dream but I suggest you consider domestic options and save your money for the trip you really want in a few years. Foreign tourism isn't feasible for the foreseeable future.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

mods, thread title plx

It happened!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

2) people mistakenly thinking you can't get Japanese citizenship, which is absolutely not true as you can, but it's Jus Sanguis and many ignorant Westerners don't realize that virtually unlimited Jus Soli a la the US is actually very rare, and you also need to abdicate other citizenships when applying. This means that people who just wanted a Japanese passport purely for convenience generally don't do so because you have to actually, y'know, actively want to be a citizen. I would personally like it if Japan allowed duals both for later in life application, and cleaned up their very grey laws for those born with other citizenships, but it's not actually a policy that far out of the norm.

I had heard that one of the quirks of Japanese citizenship is that you have to renounce all other citizenships, but you do that renunciation in front of the Japanese government so it’s straightforward to maintain the other ones by simply not doing their renunciation process, as long as the non-Japanese country doesn’t also have an exclusivity thing with its citizenship.

Admittedly that all holds up until something involving a legal system happens and you probably run the risk of losing at least one of your citizenships.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That makes sense that they’d scrutinize naturalized citizens more thoroughly than someone who was born into a dual-cit situation. I only have indirect knowledge of the situation from picking through some old documents that came up in a barely related context.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

harperdc posted:

I've had the same questions from other Americans and just drop them the Japan Times' long feature from last year on dual citizenship, y'all may have your quibbles with the JT (and I do too) but it serves as a good enough glimpse for Normie Americans.

also when I changed status and renewed my visa to move on from teaching I got three years, so I'm not sure 1 year is a rule? it honestly just seems arbitrary.

Thanks, that was a useful read.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Japan trip planning:

1 - get to Japan.
2 - do whatever you want on whatever day until it's time to leave
3 - don't miss flight home.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Those are pretty awful when they're just in Tokyo or Kyoto but when you get out into the inaka, sometimes you really need to plan carefully so you don't miss the one limited express train you can catch that will get you to your destination at a reasonable time, or a bus that only comes around once an hour or two.

It’s definitely good to recognize critical deadlines like that unless you’re in full drifter mode, but it’s enough to tell yourself “on Tuesday we need to be done with lunch and headed to the bus stop by 14:00” and set a reminder on your phone for that day. Stop watch tourism is one of the most unfun ways to take a vacation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PurpleButterfly posted:

Correct - this is a US Office of Personnel Management background check that is a prerequisite for work related to a contract between (my company) and (other US federal department). You have to disclose any identity card you have ever been issued by any foreign country.

Tell them you had it but it was long ago, it’s expired, and you don’t have copies, the main thing they’re worried about on something like that is if you’re vulnerable to coercion or subject to another country’s laws. Disclose everything you can and you’ve met the requirements. If you get interviewed they may ask you about it but just be honest and proactive and you’ll be fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PurpleButterfly posted:

^That's exactly the approach I'm already taking. Thanks! (BTW, did those cards have expiration dates printed on them?)

Yes; I have only encountered one government issued ID that didn’t have an expiration date printed directly on it and it was for internal organization use.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

hopefully they never expand lol.

here's a q tho, would chik fil a be closed in japan on sundays?

Probably, there are enough Christian churches around to give them the pretext.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

harperdc posted:

In-n-Out is so strict with their supply chain they have barely expanded and it’s still all west of the Mississippi if memory serves.

I know I’ve heard they did one-day pop-up shops in Tokyo before but that was by bringing all the relevant ingredients over from California. They don’t even have any locations in the Seattle area.

Texas is as far east as they currently go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

So I was trying to send my sister some miso and furikake and Kuroneko is saying you can't send any food products of any type to the US at the moment? Anyone know if that's correct?

Air mail between the two countries is still suspended, though DHL and FedEx will get through assuming they’re okay handling those particular items. There’s no ban on them at the US border.