Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can anyone recommend stores that sell older/opened Gashopon figures/sets in Akibahara or Ikebukuro?

We were in Osaka the other day and went into Yellow Submarine in Denden town and my gf had a blast finding the exact figures she wanted from the gachapon machines. She had fun with the machines, too, but this removed the randomness and had a much larger selection. I'm certain there are stores in Tokyo that cater to the same tastes and would like to go to one.

I don't mean the obvious ones that are at street level, I mean the ones that you have to know where you are going to find. Perhaps on a side street or, more likely, up and elevator with signs only in Japanese.

Thanks for any advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

orenronen posted:

Better than Akihabara or Ikebukuru, Nakano Broadway has lots and lots of this kind of store crammed into a single place. I think you'll find pretty much anything you want over there.

I thought that was part of ikebukuro. That's the place I meant, anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Nakano Broadway is unbelievable.

I think I saw about 1/4 of it in 2.5 hours.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gonna really miss Japan. I was at a Starbucks today and a girl came in via wheelchair. One of the workers immediately ran to her and assisted. The place was packed. As soon as someone stood up from a table he was standing there ready to prepare it for the girl. Table cleaned and helped the girl to the table.

We decided to sit out front. He then brought dry chairs to us because the ones outside were damp from an earlier rain. Is there any place in the US that has "actual" good customer service?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The subway maps are a joke. Some have a compass. North is always a different direction. Sometimes to the right. Sometimes down. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out because the station is a cross and there is no compass. Good times.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah, that makes sense. Pretty logical, too.

Growing up with all maps facing N is probably not the best thing now that I think of it. What if you don't know which was is north?

Once again, Japan wins.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Thanatosian posted:

Recommendations for places to get fugu? I'd like to try it while I'm there. We'll be in Tokyo and Kyoto.

Look for a place that has a tank in the window with a bunch of fugu swimming around. There are a bunch in the dotonbori area of Osaka.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^^ I'm going to Japan to ride trains all day every day!

I know that itinerary is a joke which is why I laughed.

E: If you are going to Tokyo and want to see Kyoto/Osaka as well, then the JR Pass is worth it. The train ride to and from Shin-Osaka plus other JR rides in and around those two main metro areas will more than cover a 7 day pass.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Fromage posted:

You joke but this is unironically how the JR Pass is designed. It would be so much more useful if it were like the bus pass and you got five non-consecutive days rather than having to just go loving hog on the shinkansen within a week.

It really depends on how you use it.

Go to Japan for 2 weeks, get a 7 days pass. Use it to get to/from Kansai/Tokyo in the middle of your trip. It works out.

If you just go to Japan for 7 days then it can become a mad dash to break even.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Walk across the street and look at the dog statue.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://borderless.teamlab.art/

This has to be booked in advance but is well worth it. Also, because it doesn't take all day, it gives you an opportunity to knock out wandering around Odaiba while you are there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gonna have to check that one out!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

runawayturtles posted:

Just a heads-up based on my trip last year, even with the earlier cherry blossom timing thanks to global warming, there still isn't much blooming in Kyoto until April. Tokyo gets them first. (Not sure if you actually want to see them or just mentioned it regarding crowds.)

Crowds are not an issue right now. Whether they are back in March remains to be seen.

I have to say I am jealous as hell of the people who get to see Kyoto without a flood of mainlanders.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Indolent Bastard posted:

Any recommends on a Tokyo spot for those stupidly fluffy pancakes you see online?

My recommendation is to go in with low expectations. They aren't all that great. They look neat and photograph well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Indolent Bastard posted:

Expectations suitably adjusted.

With that in mind, look for the chain called Gram. They have even opened a location in San Francisco.

Anyway, they only make about 20 of the pancake plates every 3 hours. It's pretty limited because each pancake takes a long time to make. So find a location and figure out what time you need to get there. At busy time there will be lines.

I had them at one cafe and they were really terrible. I vowed I would get a good one. I kept seeing various Gram locations and they were always sold out until one day...

And it was pretty disappointing. Not bad, just underwhelming.

Okonomiyaki, on the other hand. I love it so much that I have recently begun trying to make it myself. First attempt was about 90% as good as I would expect in Japan. A lot easier than I had feared. I am going to get good at it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Thanatosian posted:

I have a trip to Tokyo and Kyoto planned for March 3rd; I'm seeing reports now of Tokyo canceling or postponing indoor events. I'm considering making alternate plans, going somewhere other than Tokyo. I'll probably spend the last few days in Kyoto regardless, but am thinking going to Osaka for a few days before that if the Coronavirus stuff gets much worse; first-time visit to Japan, I like food and historical stuff, anyplace that would make a good location to go to via Shinkansen other than Osaka assuming I need to be in Osaka on the 13th?

Make Osaka your base. From there you can make easy day trips to Kyoto, Nara, Kobe, Himeji, and a longer trip down to Hiroshima.

Osaka isn't as interesting a town as Tokyo, but, IMO, the people are nicer. It has a warmer atmosphere.

It really depends what you are looking for.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

KidDynamite posted:

Akihabara is expensive as poo poo. Where can I buy cool anime or video game poo poo for not tourist prices?

Nakano Broadway. 2nd and 3rd floors mainly. It's two stops NW of Shinjuku. I forget what line. Just get off at Nakano station and walk up through the arcade. It's one block away and better than Akihabara.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...9!4d139.6656491

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sub $500 to fly to BKK with a layover in Japan right now. Cheapest I'd ever seen was $625. Man, wish I could do it. Land at NRT, contact airline the next day w/ some excuse why I can't make my flight and just enjoy no tourists for a week.

Especially cuz the sakura has just started. Sigh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

peanut posted:

Thailand is also very good, hth

Yeah. Usually when I go to Japan I go to Thailand as well because it will often drastically lower the ticket costs and make things non stop. I mean it is cheaper to fly to Bangkok with a "stopover" in Japan than to fly direct to Japan. Airfare is stupid.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ntan1 posted:

The immigration queues are better now.

Yeah, but you should see the lines at the ER!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Business of Ferrets posted:

Upside is that after 14 days of quarantine, jet lag won’t be an issue anymore.

Yep. It's just enough time to adjust before flying home and adjusting again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Midjack posted:

Yes they'll still send stuff out of Japan, just not accept things coming in from overseas.

Doesn't matter for the US, we don't make anything except for garbage. That includes the media we create, as well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I liked the story. It had a nice first act. The second and third act were kinda smooshed together, but it worked. And the denouement has been satisfying.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mikeycp posted:

we'll see in a couple weeks if there's an epilogue

:vince:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Japan may have been worse in the past, but the US is clearly the bad guy now. I think it is inarguable that we are the worst country. Definitely have the worst, most disrespectful, citizens.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Advice for tourist in Japan:

Get drunk. Walk around. Nothing else matters.

Oh...get an egg samich at 711.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Huge anime tits >>>>>>> iphones.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That description of Tokyo Disneyland is pretty close. It's not good. It feels huge with too much empty space, not enough shade, and just weird. However the pooh ride there is one of the best rides in the Disney system.

Tokyo Disney Sea, on the other hand, is the best park I've been to. It's wonderful. You don't even have to go on rides to enjoy yourself. Just walking around is a thrill. The place is absolutely gorgeous. And not overly expensive, either.

If you go, make sure to do Big Band Beat, the alladin ride and the walk around hunt near the pirate ship. I forget what it is called, exploration something maybe.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've done airbnb a few times and have never been really satisfied. There is always an issue with the bed. One place the bed had a single pillow that was really small and a blanket that barely covered the full sized mattress. Another had uncomfortable (cheap) mattresses. Another had pillow issues.

I'm sure there are places that are fine. OTOH, I've liked almost every hotel I have stayed in. There was only one I didn't like.

Quick recommendations: Tokyo: Tokyu Stay Shinjuku. Good location. Nice hotel. Around $100 US a night, though.
Osaka: Hearton Hotel Shinsaibashi. Smack dab in the middle of everything. Around $50 a night. I still don't get why it is so cheap. It's totally fine for a hotel and the rooms are actually bigger than most. Probably because it is older. I'd be more than happy to stay there again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
At this point I doubt it happens, but I'd really like to go to Japan this Fall.

I mean, I doubt Japan lets anyone from the US in for the foreseeable future.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm guessing there are a lot of people in Kyoto who are saying, "let's just keep things closed. We are totally fine with no tourists."

Seeing vids of Kyoto right now. Droooool. I can't even imagine how wonderful it must be to not have massive crowds constantly pissing everyone off, throwing garbage everywhere, ignoring signage, taking pics of people without asking.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, everywhere I go in the East Bay people wear masks. It must be bizarre to be in the parts of the US that are in complete denial.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm not going to shake peoples hands any more. Maybe never again.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
At the rate the US is going, Japan won't even let us come for the Olympics next year.

I'm only half-joking. Like, if the Olympics were next week, we wouldn't have any participants, let alone live viewers.

The best thing to do is monitor their tourism site:

https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/

Once the US is no longer banned, then go for it. There is no point in buying a ticket in the hopes it works. Japan actually wants to keep their citizens safe. So they aren't going to let a bunch of filthy disease carriers in to ruin things.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Japan trip planning:

1 - get to Japan.
2 - do whatever you want on whatever day until it's time to leave
3 - don't miss flight home.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Now we need someone to set up a marriage hotline. You don't even have to meet, just get married over the internet.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

LimburgLimbo posted:

lol at step 3 just don't go home bro

Every time I go it is harder and harder to leave. We'll see what happens next time I go. If Japan ever lets filthy Americans back, of course.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Martytoof posted:

Man I was wandering around Tokyo in VR and when I pulled my headset off I made this audible sigh of disgust as reality set back in.

This whole COVID mess can’t end soon enough so I can sink all my free money into cheap konbini snacks again.

:same:

I want a 711 egg samich. And sushi that costs 1/2 what it does in the US and is better. And ramen that actually tastes right. And curry w/ chicken katsu that I don't make myself and is only okay. And to feel safe just walking around.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I find this thing about Japanese burgers kinda odd. Japan can't do American breakfast, sure. But burgers? They have better quality beef than the US does and it's not even close. They have higher quality produce. The baked goods are great. It's not hard to get mayo/mustard and ketchup right. And japanese mayo is better, anyway. So why wouldn't they have good burgers?

I'd say it is probably easier to find a quality burger in Japan than in the US. I mean from boutique burger joints.

But breakfast? Hahahaha. Noperoo. Can't do eggs right. Can't do bacon right. Somehow screw up pancakes, too. I'm sure there are some places that get it right, but in general, american breakfast in japan is awful. Like not even as good as waffle house and that is a very low bar to clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Archer666 posted:

During helloween last year Japanese Starbucks had a pretty tasty frappuchino. Starbucks isn't really a thing in my country so I dont know if its exclusive, but it sure was tasty!

Starbucks does special drinks every month or so in Japan. They do it in other places, as well, but not really in the US to the same extent. It's one thing I always try to do when I am in Japan: go to starbucks and try whatever the special of the month is. Depending on the drink, it will often sell out during the day.