Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
My partner and I just snagged a flight that will put us in Japan from March 8th to 22nd. She's really interested in traditional Japan and is super-excited to see the temples in Kyoto, but I have a massive fetish for JDM cars (I have an '85 MR2) and would love to check out engineering/technology museums in addition to the more traditional stuff. I'm interested to hear any recommendations you might have.

Also, I will puke and poo poo for 8 hours if I consume fish or beans and I need an epi-pen if I have peanuts or peas. Will an allergy like that be a problem in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

extravadanza posted:

They kinda sneak fish and bean product into a lot of stuff. Is like Fish stock a problem or just eating like big chunks of fish? There's plenty of pork and chicken to eat, but sometimes they can still be prepared with fish or bean.

Maybe look into some sort of card that indicates your food needs?

This website seems like a good resource. I'll either carry around 3 cards or I guess I can try to use the fill in the blank card to list my allergies in roma-ji? All seafood, all nuts, peas, beans and kiwi seems like it might take up a lot of space and I also kind of want to specify that I can't do soy or miso without enduring hours of poo poo-pukes.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Will I not even be able to get away with pork ramen or is there definitely some bean paste in the stock they use?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

peanut posted:

No fish, soy or sesame? You're boned, dude. Just accept that you'll eat nothing but pizza and will have diarrhea constantly.

I'm good with sesame! I'm ONLY allergic to fish, shellfish, legumes, nuts, and kiwi.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Phone posted:

Snickers

Nope, peanuts.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Does anyone want to get drunk in roppongi tonight?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
For some reason all the resources on the internet say to wait until you get to Japan to exchange currency because the rate will be better. From my experience that is utter bullshit as every single currency exchange I've seen has had a rate that is at least 10% worse than what our bank offered in Canada.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

Any recommendations for mobile apps (android) to help learning common phrases in Japanese, or to show people so that they know what I want to say?

I used google translate to have a drunken conversation about Honda with two salarymen from Osaka.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Man, the people here are so loving nice they make Canadians look like a bunch of self-absorbed cunts. Random locals keep coming up to me and my girlfriend and giving us free poo poo. Thus far we've been given a set of ponchos, oodles of sweets and a few people even gave up their tables in busy restaurants so we could eat together.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Why do European tourists wear so much loving perfume?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

General question for visiting Tokyo: how difficult is the language barrier? For context, I have some severe food allergies and thus finding acceptable food and ordering in restaurants is a concern when traveling in a foreign country. When I visited Germany, I was constantly reassured, "oh, everyone speaks English, you'll be fine", but I encountered numerous situations (in major cities) where the restaurant employees spoke zero English and I had to do my best via translating the menus and ordering in German. There's also other non-food service situations like train travel and such that I'm also interested in, but my general perception is that the language barrier would likely be more difficult in Tokyo versus my experiences in Germany, and so just looking for any more detail on that.

I'm allergic to fish, crustaceans, nuts, peas, beans and lentils and I had a blast in Japan last March. I got cards from https://www.selectwisely.com/ and i would show the card to the server and usually they would just point and laugh, but also point to the menu items that would not kill me. If you're traveling with people be prepared that not every restaurant will be able to accommodate you.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that would be the case but it makes sense. It's definitely concerning with their stance on food allergies but I understand if it's just something that is not very common in their country. Specific to this point you made, though, what would non Japanese food options be? Are you suggesting American type fast food restaurants which I assume are available all over Tokyo just as they are in the rest of the world?

I ate kare raisu almost every day. Gyoza and tonkatsu are also okay for me and available nearly everywhere. Also, in the two weeks i was there i probably spent $200 on apples and bananas to stay regular.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

(I can't imagine how you'd eat in Japan with a soy allergy)

I basically had an itchy throat for the whole trip and now I use soy sauce pretty frequently to try and desensitize myself in preparation for my next trip.

Sand Monster posted:

The primary allergies of concern are meat (severe; everything except seafood, and particularly poultry) and eggs. Some lesser allergies like peanuts and a few fruits aren't as severe so not necessarily worried about those.

What the actual gently caress? You can be allergic to meat? You're going to have a really hard time unless you eat exclusively sushi.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

So my wife just broke her toe then walked 10 miles around Kyoto on it and it's super hosed up, how much walking is there to do at Himeji castle?

A lot of walking with almost nowhere to sit. If you choose to go into the castle, the route is linear and you must go all the way up and all the way down. I went on a wednesday and it was a sea of people doing an orderly shuffle with several 10-15 minute periods of standing and waiting while the foot traffic was managed. I can't remember but I asked my girlfriend and she said we were there for 4 hours and it took 2 hours to get to the top of the main keep and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
If you go to Kanazawa I would not skip Kenrokuen Garden.