Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Whats your price range and time frame?

AirBNB is ok subject to all of usual risks when using them. Many locations are also kind of out of the way.
Business hotels are also very good, both in Tokyo and Kyoto. These are between 40-80 dollars for a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Phone posted:

I would think that the new shinkansen line would be excluded from the JR Pass seeing how you can't even hop on the Nozumi.

Not all Nozomi-equivalent class cars are banned on the Shinkansen lines. Just all of the really main ones.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
JR Pass isn't worth it if you only do a one-way from Tokyo to Kyoto. For a roundtrip, try: http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/?aff=EXJ . JR Pass may be worth it if you take the Shinkansen line even further.

Tokyo and Kyoto city proper aren't really thermal areas with onsen directly in them. For Onsen around Tokyo, look at: Hakone Onsen, Kinugawa Onsen, Kusatsu Onsen, Nasu Onsen, Ito Onsen Atami Onsen as possibilities. For the latter, consider Arima Onsen, Kinosaki onsen. There are also a couple of others right outside Kyoto like Kurama onsen as well.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Technically the cheapest is the seishun 18, but I don't think anyone wants to be in a train for 9 hours

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Osaka is great your 2nd or 3rd time to Japan but it sounds like your first. There's too much other cool stuff near and around that for many people it makes sense to put it on the backburner. Just head to Dotonbori for an evening or two and you should be good.

Ive done stuff in Hiroshima and Osaka as well and I also confirm you should do Hiroshima over Osaka.

PS Ned is supposed to come here and tell you to go to Fukuoka (especially if you try to add Nagasaki)

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 28, 2016

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Come visit scenic Akita. Nestled in the Tohoku region of the barren North, we boast the highest rates of alcoholism and suicide, as well as being the prefecture with the highest average age. Let's enjoy!

And some of the best hot springs. And great sake and rice. I'm stopping by Oga/Akita on my way next October, but sorry gonna spend more time in Yamagata and Aomori instead :(.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Cross posting from the languages thread because those guys are useless for this:

I am trying to find a song that has a guy that is older, like (it even may be or related to) Mr. Children, where the guy is walking with a guitar and singing a song, can't remember how it goes but it was really good, and it was on a bridge. The video had a lot of gray and blue overtones, the ending was pretty cool, goes like "nah nah, uhhh huhhhhhhhhh" and he remains emotionless the entire time. It was kinda cloudy, and again, like some of it was ona bridge or on a beach or something...i remember a lot of water and cityscape/skylines. I think the guy was wearing denim, had glasses on, and had longer hair, like shoulder length, which I guess is long for a Japanese guy. Can you guys help me find this music video and thus the song?

I don't really have much experience with older guys (since I'm relatively young myself), but perhaps I recommend that you drop by either Kabukicho or Roppongi in Tokyo. In particular, there's a lot of places near the latter (Azabu Juban/Roppongi Hills) that offer very refined restaurants for businessmen, so I think you would probably find a lot of people in their 30s-40s who are relatively successful there.

Unfortunately for you, I'd say that from my travels with Japan, the entirely of the country has a mix between gray and blue overtones. The weather changes pretty rapidly, so sometimes it's rather bright and sunny outside, and other days it could be very gray and rain a lot. You can go to Atami for a beach, whereas any large city would give you pretty good skylines. Of course, Tokyo is the best at the latter.

If you're looking for music or clubs with music. I'd recommend Shibuya, although others here may have better travel suggestions in Japan.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yeah I was forced on a multi day tour in Japan when i was a kid and hated it. My parents feel the same way and regretted hiring a tour.

Day trips with tours are ok, however.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi

I feel like complaining just because I can. Getting concert tickets for Japan internationally is a loving PITA.

Also not to mention that every form requires a Japanese phone number and a Japanese address, which I usually have to fake by using my old/dead phone number from a few years ago or my old dead address from a few years ago or a hotel address.

Thanks

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

AKB 48 has a special foreigner's pass for easy tickets

Yeah but I'm not interested in underage kids

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
dang

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
ok this was at some point posted in the anonymous confessions thread.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hey peanut,

When's the best time to visit Shikoku? Also, I'm an onsen/mountain/nature person more than a sea/beach person do you have any recommendations for onsen towns? Do you know any good tourism websites for Shikoku (JP ok).

Im already going to be in Kyushu in spring and then Hokkaido/West Tohoku/Tsurugaoka/etc. in October, but I feel next year it's either going to be Chuubu/Chuugoku or Shikoku.

thx.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Ned posted:

. If you love Tonkotsu ramen I know some decent spots that I can introduce you to and I will definitely take you to a yatai.

Which ramen places? You've recommended mami-chan for yatai before but I also love ramen.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Fukuoka, not Tokyo.

Although I've been to Mutekiya a few times when I was studying abroad.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I've never thought of ramen as a social occasion

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
they do it in the bay area, california too and it's quite obnoxious

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Tokami was full when I tried booking them. :( I have a reservation for shin instead.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The bowl should read 自閉症の患者 on it.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 8, 2016

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Vidaeus posted:

I'm going to be travelling between Hiroshima and Osaka on Wednesday 30/03 and would like to stop off at Himeji on the way. I have 3 questions:

1) Is it possible to do this via Shinkansen?
2) We will have suitcases, is there a place to store 2x normal size suitcases around the train station?
3) How long is appropriate to see the castle? 2 hours?

1) yes but you may benefit from a special pass possibly, do the math (ie, jr pass)
2) yes coin lockers
3) try at least 3 hours or you'll be cramped on time

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Busy Bee posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for good hiking trails up north near Sendai / Hokkaido area? I wouldn't mind over around the Nagano / Kanazawa area either. Ill be in Japan for 2 weeks at the end of the month with a rail pass so I want check out some cool hiking spots around there. Seems like a lot of the places I want to go to are closed due to weather according to this website: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2427.html

The Sendai/Hokkaido area you are talking of is extremely large with many many hiking trails. You'd have to probably give more details on what you're looking for. In fact, I'd split according to Tohoku vs Hokkaido, and beyond that, specifically what prefecture you are looking for, how middle of nowhere, whether you like the ocean or mountains more, etc. etc.

It's like asking, "Do you know any good hiking trails on the West coast of the US?"

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Busy Bee posted:

Sorry about that. I would prefer hiking trails in places accessible by train. I have a rail pass and planning on seeing some friends up in Sendai / Sapporo area so I want to take a few days and get a hotel room somewhere and go hiking. I prefer mountain trails to ocean but I'm okay with both. I know that 85% of Japan is covered in mountains so I probably won't have any trouble finding any trails but I am a little worried about the weather up north.

What timeframe? In summer, spring, and fall, Hokkaido is a good area to hike in general. Anywhere in the Daisetsuzan, Shiretoko, Rishiri, etc. Tohoku is close to the same.

Oh am i kidding there is a guide to this. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2427.html

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

Can I pay one of you nerds to buy me a NTSC-J 3ds bundle and some detective conan/taiko no tatsujin/lupin the third games without paying as much as i would through play-asia/the internet? basically you would be a long term import person so i'd prefer it if you lived there

no

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Use a bank atm/debit card at one of the aforementioned places.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

I'm in the biggest tourist trap called hakone. My girlfriend is right, it's like the Bali of Japan. Sure there are glimmers of nice things but everything is priced out.

I have been to my fair share of ryokans and god this is the only place where miso soup is made out of that crappy supermarket powdered form. But hey it's relatively cheap 50k for 2 nights and 2 meals for 2 people.

I would have gotten a much nicer place in Nikko but then I get to hike around some mountains and ride cable cars.

At least the robot restaurant is weird. This is place is just plain viscous on boring middle class people all over the world.

drat what happened to Hakone?

It was great like 12+ years ago when I went there.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
yeah I get what you mean.

I actually like ryokans where the food isnt delivered to your room. I find that too many times it leads to the okami/helper ladies taking forever since they have to go from room to room, or that there are some inconsistencies in the food. Im perfectly fine with eating in a close to private room with maybe 1 or 2 other tables.

However, the most memorable place i've ever stayed at was here, which is a minshuku. It's also pretty out there in the middle of nowhere:

http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/136958/136958.html

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
ya from what I hear there are some really really good ryokans between aizu wakamatsu and kinugawa onsen.

the one i rec'd is one too

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
hey gusto is great when you are a poor foreign exchange student and cant afford anything

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hey folks,

I'm starting to think about what I want to do in Hokkaido in October (planning to be there (west/SW Hokkaido) for koyou/head south through aomori down the west coast of Japan. Been there before, and have a very rough idea of what I want to do. Anyone have any amazing food/hotel/ryokan recommendations to think about?

Also this leaves Shikoku and parts of Chuugoku (North of Hiroshima) as the only prefectures i've never been to. Someday I'll find a way to Shikoku :(

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Kanazawa is too far this time. I think the furthest west were going to get to is tsuruoka/shonai :(

Tohoku is loving gigantic.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Mid October I'd also absolutely recommend Nikko. I'd also recommend making it not a day trip and spending a night there. It's during peak autumn color season.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

totalnewbie posted:

Nikko? I don't know what you mean by "on a Suica" since it's pre-paid. You'd want to take a Shinkansen up to Utsunomiya, though, or it will take about 3 hours for the trip to Nikko. About 2 hours by Shinkansen.

There's also a route from Shinjuku station via tobu thats quick if it floats your boat.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Well, it's four months out and I need to start planning another trip in October. For those of you living in Japan, I'd like some advice if you have any.

PLAN: Two week trip around Hokkaido, all the way through Aomori. It's not my first time to Hokkaido.

So here's the thing, I can do this trip in two ways:
  1. Fly in to Asahikawa. Beginning from the Daisetsuzan National Park, head through Furano and Biei to Sapporo, then head southwest through Toya/Noboribetsu to Hakodate. Take the Shinkansen to Aomori. Take a visit to the Shimokita Penninsula. Then go southwest through the Shirakawa Peninsula through Akita/Yamagata to Tsuruoka, visiting the Dewa Sanzan before heading out through Shonai Airport.

2. Fly in to Kushiro. Beginning from there, visit the Kushiro Marshlands, Akan, and Shiretoko Penninsula. Go towards the Daisetsuzan National Park, then through Furano/Biei to Sapporo, then head southwest through Toya/Noboribetsu to Hakodate. Take the Shinkansen to Aomori. Take a visit to the Shimokita Penninsula. Fly out of Aomori Airport.

So, any path in particular that you'd recommend? Also, any particular amazing locations/places to stay that you've been to in these areas? Keep in mind that I intend to drive quite a bit since it's Hokkaido, I love onsen, and am anticipating a lot of nature.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Ned posted:

Osaka people have an inferiority complex when it comes to Tokyo so they take excessive pride in being from Osaka and claim their food is better. But it is pretty low-brow stuff they harp on about and it mostly drowned in sauces so don't get too excited. Tokyo probably has better food, just not the stuff they love in Osaka.

To be fair I thought Fukuoka had better food than Osaka.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hi,

My name is Ntan One and i would like to recommend the Tokyo Tower
You may see Mount Fuji from the top of beautiful tower.
You can enjoy very good view of Tokyo.

I would also like to suggest that you visit the city of Kyoto.
Kyoto has many traditional wonders and the history of Japan.
May I recommend that you go to the Kiyomizudera?

Thank you for listening!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I do my ryokan stays in chains, going from one to another to another. Then again i really really really like onsen.

Depends on how you like to travel.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
just go to a bic camera and buy a prepaid sim card. they're like 3k yen for 2gb.

im pretty sure they even sell them at the konbini nowadays but i dunno.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

The Great Autismo! posted:

echoing if you're in Kyushu to do Kagoshima and Sakurajima, also highly recommend going to Yakushima for half a week or so if you have the time. actually go for like a whole week if you have the time.

actually if you have the time, go there for the rest of your life

one of the best places i've ever been

yakushima is p cool

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I'd recommend working on a farm on a tourist visa in China instead. It's a better cultural experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

LimburgLimbo posted:

You're looking at outdated info; a few years back they finally unified them.

Now the IC cards work well all over, much like the address system.

except buses/eidens in smaller cities