Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Onsens are all over Japan, but as somebody who has been to like every major onsen town, I will openly say that I have strong preferences for certain ones.

In Kyushu my top ones for feel is definitely Kurokawa, although there is a lot of good water all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It's ok --- the service is going to be generally pretty good, with a decent amount of competition on food and just general room quality. The main issue with Kinosaki is that the onsen water is sodium/calcium sulphate, which is one of the most common and simple in Japan. The town center is pleasant, but nothing particularly different or unique compared to other hot spring towns in Japan.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hiroshima

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
For tokyo hotels the best time to do laundry is after checkout hours if you are going to drop back by the hotel. Note that you need to be back at the hotel to pick up laundry again.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

surf rock posted:

For folks who are knowledgeable about Japan's public transit system, though, I wanted to check first: is Google leading me astray with any of these? Like, are any of these bullshit directions? From what I can tell, these different transit options should be categorized as:

You're thinking too hard about inner tokyo transportation. Just get an IC Pass and call it a day.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
You can fill it either way --- yes to be safe, but make sure you enter the red lane (items to declare lane) and hand them the medical waiver (thereby effectively making the declaration). No need to show customs form for immigration.

JP customs is very kind (although often procedural) when you are actually trying to follow the rules.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Never underestimate the ability for Japanese learners and weebs to overthink things.

I have been to bumfuck nowhere Kyushu and the most common dialect people speak there is Tokyo dialect. So yeah.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

cheese eats mouse posted:

I lost control and spent so much money on ceramics…again. There’s a woman in Tokyo who specializes in rare stuff from the Kyushu region. Only 10 kilns making the stuff she sells.

It’s so beautiful I wish I could have bought bigger items.

Who specifically?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
What? Why are people recommending that you take the shinkansen? It makes no sense from Tokyo to Fukuoka unless you specifically like trains. It will be more expensive and take more time.

A shinkansen ride takes 6 hours and is likely $160. Fukuoka airport is in the middle of the city and it takes 2 train stops to reach Hakata station. Japanese airports are also extremely efficient and you can arrive 60 minutes prior to the flight departing in most cases. Security is like pre-9-11 for domestic, and they will expedite departing flights in through security to the gate.

Domestic flights should be about $100-120 one way. If you are looking at November of this year and you don't see any JAL or ANA flights, then it means they havent released the schedule for booking yet. They often do this in 3 month spurts (so next release is around 1/20ish). In the worst case, JAL and ANA also have a special fare for foreign people traveling on an international reservation:

https://www.jal.co.jp/world/en/world/japan_explorer_pass/ar/reservation/
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/plan-book/promotions/special-fares/

Yeah, Haneda to Fukuoka is the busiest airplane route in the entirety of Japan.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
the real cheapest way is seishun 18 and local trains, but bus is probably like very marginally more expensive and way less difficult.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
On the other hand driving in Japan is cool and fun! You can stop at a SA which is a rest stop (service area)... of which the largest one is two floors of insane food and gift goodness.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
passport photo + pic of the jp stamp often works too, although technically you are supposed to carry your passport.

It's really rare to be stopped by the police but it does happen.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Kurokawa is by far the best of the three if you are willing to spend on it. I recommend Miyama Sanso.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hallo! Here is my itinerary and line by line packing situation for April because it is extremely relevant to this thread.

I will be using a backpack and carry on.

Apr 5 Fri SFO
Apr 6 Sat Taipei Take airport line to hotel
Apr 7 Sun Taipei
Apr 8 Mon Kanazawa Take taxi to airport, rental car to hotel
Apr 9 Tue Okuhida Rental car
Apr 10 Wed Okuhida Rental car
Apr 11 Thu Kanazawa Rental car
Apr 12 Fri Tokyo Take luggage onto shinkansen
Apr 13 Sat Ibusuki Take luggage to Haneda via monorail
Apr 14 Sun Kirishima Rental car
Apr 15 Mon Kumamoto Rental car
Apr 16 Tue Kurokawa Rental car
Apr 17 Wed Kurokawa Rental car
Apr 18 Thu Tokyo Take luggage to Tokyo and carry to hotel via keikyu
Apr 19 Fri Tokyo Luggage in Tokyo
Apr 20 Sat Tokyo Luggage in Tokyo
Apr 21 Sun Tokyo Taxi to airport
Apr 22 Mon Taipei

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Grand Fromage posted:

Not sure if Japanese camping stores have anything different/interesting compared to ones in the US but there are plenty of them to take a peep into.

Montbell stuff is basically arcteryx but half the price

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The fancy restaurant I go to in Tokyo books out super fast and as a person who goes there frequently I have to email in my reservation prior to when their reservation book opens up to the public. There are people at the restaurant who will book their next visit after they finish their meal.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Shikoku is relatively cheap for highway tolls, with about 4000 yen from west side to east side total. The parts that are expensive are the bridges out of Shikoku.

If you are driving that much you can cap your price with a pass if you are a non-resident: https://global.w-nexco.co.jp/en/sep/

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Would either of you drive?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

kaom posted:

I’m mid-30s, he’s turning 40. We’re overworked and I’ve had some family tragedies in the past year, so while I usually try to see and do everything possible on a destination vacation, this time we’re aiming for chill. We’re also celebrating a milestone anniversary (although we had to delay this trip to save up for it, but it counts). His Japanese is good enough for conversations, mine is pretty rudimentary but I can handle directions and shopping and eating.

For Nikko, three days is a lot unless you are going all the way to inner oku-nikko or doing a super long hike. One definite possibility is to go there early morning, stay for two nights, and then make the 3rd day the transportation day to get wherever you are going. Other options for Nikko include driving up North into the onsen territory in that area and ending up in Aizu Wakamatsu Fukushima, but that would be more than 2-3 days. This includes Oku Kinugawa, Oku yunishigawa, Oku Shiobara, etc until you get to some onsens in Fukushima. If you want to go this route, then making your trip a Tohoku one could make sense.

For Kumamoto, I am going to anti-recommend Takafue if you dont often stay in super luxury ryokans and recommend two nights at Miyama Sanso instead. Takafue is considered amazing, but one night is sort of a shame, and two nights at a luxury inn that isnt that price category is both more relaxing and nice. You get a private bath already with Miyama Sanso and the price is probably 1/2, with access to one of the top public baths. If you go to Kurokawa and are driving, then doing a circle around Fukuoka, Beppu, Yufuin, Kurokawa Onsen, etc will naturally make sense as a possible itinerary. If in season, I also definitely recommend the oyster huts down near Itoshima, Fukuoka.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I also recommend Motsunabe and Udon around Hakata station and Fukuoka. Motsunabe is a harder one to find (well done) outside of Japan.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
nagoya sux

posted from a plane above japan

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Go ahead and try and tell us if its good!

I dunno, picking a restaurant in Japan is similar to trying one in any other country as a traveller... there is just an insane selection in major cities in Japan tho (due to people being foodies). You know what you want, and if its not then its a learning experience.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

totalnewbie posted:

At a certain point, when you do speak enough of the language and can actually meaningfully keep up then it changes, and where that point is depends on the situation, but before that, it annoys me (again, perhaps irrationally) so much to see tourists stumbling along when I know if they just asked in English, they would get an answer.

That point is when you stop getting jouzud the moment you speak any Japanese. (Note, it still can happen as a natural reflex in some cases). Sometimes it's fun to let Japanese people keep struggling in English and doing a reverse jouzu (eigo jouzu desu ne). They're usually really embarassed and it's very cute. One of the benefits of being bilingual!

Duolingo cant really teach you Japanese, speaking as a major + having many years of instruction. Sorry, it's the truth. I have the same opinion as all of the other folks here.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
itym the Tokyo Rinkai Kosoku Tetsudo Rinkai Line

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Even in that first image, like

What does 1.2 mean and why is that different from 1-4 and 1.2.4. Also what direction are the arrows actually pointing to?

Yes I can navigate Shinjuku station with no problems, but given that it's a large station with many people walking through it really fast, a lot of people will face information overload and not be able to process everything.

But also, an example issue that I faced was that the folks i was leading wanted to get from the Shinjuku line to the Shinjuku Isetan, which there isnt good signage for. Of course I know that the toei lines deposit you on the west side of shinjuku station so you have to cross under the JR line and then follow signs for the Marunouchi line which will then connect to an underground passageway, but that's really not obvious for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
the only times you really need a reservation for shinkansen is on new years, obon, and golden week