Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So I'm looking into the future (end of year / next year) for travel, depending on current circumstances and such like everyone else, I'd imagine.
I'm staring down the barrel of around 16 to 18 hours worth of travel time to get to Japan from where I am (UK) and would like tips on -

Times of year to avoid (would assume new year?)
Travel arranging companies / group that are recommended / not poo poo, preferably with website
Any recommended hotels / onsen around Zao or in Yamagata as a whole. Saw a travel vlog video from there and gods it looks like a wonderful time, which I wager was the intent of the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This might be an odd one, but I'm very interested in one of the geisha/maiko makeover experiences that I've seen a few videos of. Any recommended places to go to?
I know Gion Aya will not do males or male presenting people.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
On a slightly relevant topic to that, as an outsider not having been there and getting somewhat useful but incomplete info from youtube and google

Suica cards - they're for JR East only right? Like, I'm intending to spend 7-10 days in tokyo doing things (mostly around asakusa/shibuya/akihabara) and I'm unsure if just dumping like, a good few thousand yen onto a suica would cover everything. What I mean is, I don't want to be going from A to B to C only to find out that B to C requires pasmo or something.

Also I found an old (3 years+) video recommending Odigo but that just goes to a DNS error page now. Is there a decent travel/itinerary/similar thing-guide that would suffice, beyond literally just eyeballing googlemaps for place to place stuff?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

SUICA cards are kind of like debit cards. You can buy them from many train ticket kiosks. It's recommended to get one when you land at the airport and load it with $50 or so. It makes taking trains much easier because you don't have to try to figure out how much to put on a ticket every time. You just use it at the gate as you walk in and it debits your balance. You can also use them in many businesses, which can be handy. Don't want to deal with counting change at Lawson for your onigiri? Just use the SUICA.

As for JR Pass. If you are going from Tokyo > Osaka it can be worth it. If you are riding JR trains around the cities you can use it for those, as well. They add up fast. It's not uncommon to go for 4 or more train rides in a day.

Cool, but do SUICA cards work on every line inside the station? Like, if I'm going from a station at senso-ji temple to say, the closest station near electric town at akihabara and it goes through x line with two changes, does SUICA cover that or is it likely that I'd need to grab a single ticket for one part of that, or use a different card?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm confused, on the one hand I see the times saying that brits cannot get in without a full visa and on the other I see 'everyone still requires a sponsor but can use the VWP if it applies'

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Probably something stupid to get hung up on, but I'm looking at coming over in november from the uk
Phone is locked, Galaxy S10e, a couple of searches indicate that it 'might' work on the networks there but not full support, missing a third of the signal bands. I don't really want to get a pocket wifi or the phone unlocked, think the phone will be ok? Network here is O2, they've got travel data stuff (£6 per day, unlimited data) I'm just a bit anxious about the network.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

:ohdear:

Well this is information I didn’t think to ask for. Guess I’ll be living on vending machine food.

I think this is a piss take, given the shitloads of tourism Japan gets

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is probably a very stupid worry but I'm in the middle of booking a flight to haneda for november, passenger details are entered as Surname Firstname Middlename which fits with what the site shows and says but I'm just a little worried with this big YOUR PASSPORT MUST MATCH YOUR NAME EXACTLY message. I know names are family/given in JP which matches the little example the site gives, but should I reorder things to match my passport precisely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's space for a middle on the passenger info bit
So following the instructions, it'll be Lastname Firstname Middle Names but obviously passport here shows Firstname Middle Names Lastname.
I guess that's something they'd see daily.