Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hello Japan thread I have simple questions this time around for my trip in late March.

What's the best/cheapest way to get from Tokyo to Kyoto? Last time I visited Japan I stuck to Tokyo only so I'd like to visit Kyoto for a few days this time as well this time.

Also if you guys have any onsen ryokan recommendations in either Tokyo or Kyoto I'm all ears, especially those that are for couples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks for those recommendations!

It looks like the deal site is for a one way trip so buying the round trip would probably come out more than the JR Pass?

e: After some thinking I think the JR Pass is worth it in order to expand where I visit for the time I'm there (about 2 weeks) so thanks for that recommendation.

net work error fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 23, 2016

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Those options are new to me but yeah probably not the best.

Anyone ever gone to Hashima Island and used one of the ferry companies to visit it? Since I'll be getting a JR Pass most likely I'm expanding my list of things to see.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

peanut posted:

Please elaborate on Hashima I've never heard of it tbh

The wiki page can probably explain it better than I can but it's an old abandoned island that used to be used for mining. They have ferry tours around it and I guess you can actually go onto the island now and take pictures of cool abandoned buildings and that sort of thing. All very spooky :ghost:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hello friends, I need a little help planning my trip as far as how many days to spend in each place. I'll be there for two weeks and so far on my agenda is Kyoto, Osaka, Gunkanjima so I guess Nagasaki, and Tokyo. I remember in the previous thread people mentioning that Osaka is only worth staying at for like two days or so max, is that still the case? I'm going to have a JR pass so I'm open to traveling more places as well.

So far I'm thinking 3 days in Kyoto, 2 days in Osaka, 1 in Nagasaki and the rest in Tokyo and surrounding areas. Does that make sense at all?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

peanut posted:

Replace Osaka with Hiroshima.

Why? I could always add it to my itinerary.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Come visit scenic Akita. Nestled in the Tohoku region of the barren North, we boast the highest rates of alcoholism and suicide, as well as being the prefecture with the highest average age. Let's enjoy!

Are there lots of Akita breed dogs there?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Here's another question this time on Fukuoka! Instead of going straight from Hiroshima to Nagasaki, we figure we'll take a stop somewhere else along the way since there won't be any Gunkanjima ferries the days we were planning out.

Anyways, how many days/nights would be worthwhile in Fukuoka? One day/night is what I was thinking then going over to Nagasaki the next day for the ferry. I know there are some goons in Fukuoka right?

E:
Here's another question, anyone gone to Tashirojima? I would like to see the cats.

net work error fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 7, 2016

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Any Mt. Fuji tips? I was thinking of maybe spending a day or two near there. Not sure what the area is like in regards to tourism.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Do warmer years cause later or earlier blooms for cherry blossoms? I was hoping to catch some as well.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Subsist solely on plain 7-11 onigiri and soda.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I would like more info on the Kawasaki penis festival because that sounds cool. I'll be in Tokyo those days but it looks close enough.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

How long do cherry blossom trees stay in bloom usually? Especially in the Tokyo area.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Neat, thanks.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

HEY GOONS I JUST BOUGHT TICKETS TO TOKYO! AGAIN! FOR THE NTH TIME!

GOOOOOOON MEEEEEEEEEEET :neckbeard:

We had Mexican food. We had all you can eat hot pot. What else do you guys want?

Also, I'm looking for some Hakone recommendations for private bath - 2 nights. I don't mind spending more money for a more "authentic" place which uses cancer sulphur water run by a family with 500 years of Patriarchy baggage.

Hello when will you be there

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

We'll (wife and I) be in Tokyo March 28 to Apr 2 and would like to hang out with other goons. We were looking at the penis festival too but really anytime should be good.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My Kyoto time got cut kind of short. Are there any sightseeing things I can do in Kyoto at nighttime or does the city tend to shut down?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

You can walk around Gion for a little bit and some of the major temples but you are missing out.

I'll have several hours the day after to look around as well but wanted to maximize my time there. Gion at nighttime sounds like it'll be really nice. Thanks.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

DiscoJ posted:

Fushimi Inari Shrine (shrine with thousands of the red torii gates) never actually closes. It's quite nice (if a little spooky in places) late at night. Much less people there too.

Spooky is good!

Zettace posted:

Starting from late march, Nijou castle in Kyoto has a night cherry blossom viewing event going on.

Do they have specific dates set for that yet? I'm not going to be there during the forecasted bloom but a few days before.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

Actually you should go here and write a trip report

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara

after killing yourself

I'm actually going here too although probably not offing myself because I'd miss the penis festival.

Anyone ever gone to Fuji-Q Highland? I figured since I'm in the area I'd go and some of the attractions looked cool but if anyone has actually been I'd love to know their thoughts.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'll be there in the Fuji area on a weekend so I'll expect a packed house. Thanks for the heads up.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kyoto nighttime shrine exploring was super cool and only a little spooky so thanks for that recommendation.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

See you goons next week! So excited

Can I go?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Goon sakura viewing sounds like it'd be fun. Probably.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Count me in for a Tokyo goon meet if anyone is interested.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Whole lotta people looking at trees at Yoyogi Park.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

Help me I'm in Akihabara I'm suffering culture shock from seeing all those gross anime nerds in their pilgrim clothes.

Compared to hakone it's another form of hell. But going through random side streets and eating the fruit and vegetables makes the trip way more fun than my average sub par meals and average sub par onsen

Foreign or Japanese anime nerds? Both are there but I guess the foreign ones are worse.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

peanut posted:

What do you guys think

Goku is very popular.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Speaking of Akihabara, they're having an Oktoberfest.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anyone up to hang out tonight? I've been turning in too early.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

caberham posted:

Probably not unless you privately message goons beforehand or hang out in line. There are too many goons passing by Tokyo and only cool people like me hang out with locals and see cool poo poo.

poo poo posting aside I'm sorry I'm busy with my girlfriend and other travel friend and can't hang out better luck next time

All good. Is there a group chat on line or something, I've never used it before.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ned posted:

I can't think of a single good reason for someone to work in Japan if they can work anywhere else - especially in the tech field. Even working remotely from Japan is going to be better than working for a company in Japan.

If anyone here has worked for a US company remotely in Japan I'd be interested in hearing how taxes and stuff worked out. Do you pay both US and Japan taxes?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I saw a bunch of tourists grabbing branches at Shinjuku Gyoen and it definitely sucked.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hyperdia is a great navigation app if you have mobile data.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Edit:
Whoops wrong thread.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

When my shoes fell apart on the plane to Tokyo I was able to get 11.5 US Nike's at ABC Mart so that would be another place to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hi thread, I am in need of the help of someone traveling to Japan soon and returning to the US afterwards. I have some more details here in this SA Mart thread but long story short I can pay for a checked bag for someone in exchange for some help!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867345

I know it's kind of weird but this is my last idea, thanks thread!