Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Hoping anyone has any recommendations, my wife and I have been to Japan once before for a few weeks and stayed around Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. This time we are going for three weeks and were thinking of visiting Kanazawa, Kobe, Nara and then down to Hiroshima and with some time in Tokyo again near the end. We are going in March so I know it'll be cold and wet but that's fine, any recommendations of places to visit would be much appreciated.

We kind of just want to eat lots of good food and chill out for most of it, old towns, temples and nature. Would be nice to stay in some Ryokans and visit some onsens as well, I was thinking Shirahone Onsen and doing some hiking around Nagano could be fun but I'm not sure how suitable the weather will be in March. Both of us really enjoy drinking heavily and doing some karaoke too, does anyone know of any small public karaoke places in Tokyo? It's not really the same with only the two of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

peanut posted:

Forums user turdbucket, it may please you to hear that sumo is in Osaka in March.

That's the best news I've heard all week!

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Thrasophius posted:

Does Japan just not do 1 room with 2 beds or something? Shopping around for hotels and pretty much every single one is a double bed room. Anyone got any good sites to book Japan holidays from the UK?

Use Airbnb.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
Anyone have any advice for our third trip to Japan next April? We were thinking of staying around north kanto and southern tohoku. We'd be there three weeks, haven't been to Nikko yet and thought it would be nice to maybe travel up to Sendai (not too far north though).

Primarily going to be pretty chilled out visit, staying in airbnbs for four nights or so with a couple of ryokan visits and maybe an onsen town. Just want to eat good food, do a little shopping and visit a few national parks and temples. It's a little confusing picking a few cities to base ourselves in. Nikko would be a day trip from somewhere, is Sendai a nice place to stay?

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

I used to live at the end of the Utsunomiya line on the north end of Tochigi. It's a really nice area. My friend just opened a hostel there in July and I stayed there when I went to visit some friends. Definitely recommend.

chus-nasu.com

Thanks! We've actually been looking into Utsunomiya, I think our rough plan is coupled days Tokyo-Utsonomiya for like 4/5 nights, somewhere in Fukushima for a couple of nights (maybe around Aizu/Kitakawa then to Sendai for a week before going back down to Toyko. Will try to fit a ryokan night or two in somewhere and a few day trips out of Sendai and Utsonomiya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011
I posted before but I've got a better idea of what we are doing now so I'm interested in any information/suggestions. We are visiting Japan for the third time and want to head north, going to stay in utsonomiya and visit Nikko then visit Ainu wakamatsu on the way to Sendai. We don't want to move around too much and we're thinking five or six days in Sendai to chill out and do some day trips in the area before heading back south to Tokyo.

Is it worth heading to any other major areas in Tohoku while we are in the area? Some places seem a little complicated to get too and I'm not sure if it's worth the extra travel time to spend a day or two in the other cities.