Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

peanut posted:

I will gladly interpret at the underground mystery tunnels and other adventures, but I need 4man for round-trip to Tokyo.

We are coming Oct 19-23,

If you don't mind we can order an extra bed for you and you can stay with us near Tokyo station. We miss you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone have specific recommendations for the Osaka and Sapporo areas? My wife and I are going in late October/early November and will have ~5 days in each city. We are going to eat a bunch of crab in Sapporo and hit up the local breweries/distilleries, but beyond that we are looking for recommendations on cool stuff to do.

https://www.eater.com/maps/best-osaka-restaurants-japan-38

Eater has pretty solid guides and Stringent knows his food. It's been too long for everyone, it's hard to go wrong with any restaurant. Heck Im just glad to visit the Donki in Japan and listen to the REAL SOUNDTRACK in Japanese instead of the trilingual dubbed version 3 parter.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

captkirk posted:

Listen, it might be delicious but it's *not* cheesecake.

Ya

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

peanut posted:

That sounds really good! I could probably go 10/20-21. Message or email me.

That’s awesome, I got new phones and all,

My line ID is burgerburgerlover-

No flights to shikoku directly yet

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

take the Shinkansen down to Kyoto, spend 8-10 days there, then fly back home ("home" is Seattle, if it matters).

When last I asked about a good district to stay in Tokyo, I was advised to avoid Shinjuku

Is there a particular good area to stay in Kyoto, again with good transit access?

Someone recommended a tour of the Tokyo rainwater drainage system

Are Japan Air and ANA

EDIT: Also, is there a good way to search flights that go into Tokyo and leave Kyoto, or do I just have to do two one-ways on Kayak?

no snark. Quick fire answers

stay near Tokyo station - closer ueno National museum, slightly better food selection, close to shimbashi, closer to the fish markets, and you can run around the imperial palace every morning, 5k.

In Kyoto, expect to walk more, the city center is smallish and everywhere is fun to walk, not just the 3 main sites. They do have legit ryokans there but $$$. You guys seem like you can afford a bit more than the budget traveler. Nara can be done in a day trip. If you have time, definitely stop by himeji castle.

Drainage system - I always wanted to go but seems like Japanese only because it’s far far out in the suburbs.

Airlines- waaaay better than EVA. Japan #1 top dog any day.

FINALLY TRAINS, no airport in Kyoto just Osaka airport. You are better off taking a train. If you have time, look into the hokuriku 7 day arch pass, slightly cheaper than the nation wide JR pass but takes you from Tokyo to Osaka and back. Looks into k look.com for train and mobile data deals

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

I think they mean the tours are Japanese-language only because it's off the beaten path and not in a big touristy area.

Ya this.
The website is also written in Chinese and Korean. To allow your groups to book their own tour (but must be accompanied by a Japanese language guided tour)

From Tokyo station, it’s an hour train ride out + 6 minute taxi. Definitely doable if planned ahead of time.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Don’t get the daily metropolitan subway passes.

Do get the regional passes if you are on regional day trips. But Most of these passes are more for specific regions or people know kind of know their way around Japan.

The regional ones include unlimited regional shinkansen rides and that’s where you get the most savings. If you travel to other regions, do get an international drivers permit and have the option to rent a car. People are super nice and roads are well maintained.

I was in Tokyo during august a few years back and the weather was just too hot and unbearable. It was also a weekday and most goons were busy, so we ended up going up to Sendai and Aomori. It was also the Neputa and Nebuta festival which made the trip really memorable.

We also drove up to osore san where JP trip advisor posted “really dangerous and windy roads” when everything was freaking paved and clean.

Anyways, visit Japan multiple times! Not this trip but next autumn or spring I want to stop by izumo taisha because of YouTube recommendations and take the hokuriku arch pass and do the kurobe gorge walk and onsen stay.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Anyone have a Yakiniku or a Wagyu restaurant recommendation for Tokyo?

I tried
Shima
Wagyu Mafia (need membership now, cant join RIP)
Ginza Steak (vaguely remember, did I go?)

Haven't been to Rokkasen in years, I'm kind of out of the loop.

Thanks guys

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Well leisure traveling is very subjective, so it depends on what do you like to do with your free time and how fast you guys move. Also depends on your experience in said region. Some people think seeing a few Buddhist temples in China or Korea is enough, etc

Tokyo is actually one of the biggest mega cities of the world and I have still just scratched the surface. Yet I go to Athens and I’m done in 2 full days of walking around the major city center sights (5 km) and neighborhoods.

Funny enough, I spend more time in Kyoto when Osaka is so close. Money in Osaka also also lasts a little longer than Tokyo but I’m just not as interested even though I tried to give the city a few chances.

Kyushu and Shikoku are the new travel hotspots because it’s just so much cheaper and fewer “mainstream” tourists.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Dormy Inn, it’s easy and good enough for first timers or budget people. You get a top floor onsen, free noodles at 9pm.

Actual hot spring baths in Tokyo with a convenient location is pretty much non existent without costing $$$. You are better off going to a bathhouse or dormy inn. I don’t think tattoos on foreigners is a big thing? Anymore but if in doubt, get some wraps from Amazon and call it the day.

DORMY INN DORMY INN

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
When it comes to flight, always book direct. When bad poo poo happens like rescheduling or refunds or bad weather, direct-airline customers get served before everyone else.

I think everyone here in this thread is just getting old and sloppier- always check for a the confirmation letter when you make for bookings and check if the details are correct.

I actually like booking.com ‘s hotel booking UI compared to hotels.com (gimmick 10 nights give you 1 free).

Funny enough, corporate travel agents really take care of you. They just book you on another flight immediately when bad poo poo happens and deal with the backlog on their own time.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

peanut posted:

$150 lmao if you're whinging about an extra 150 you shouldn't be traveling at all

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Didn’t I post a nice ryokan in Kyoto without being toooooo bad.

Ryokan Yuzuya

And you have a Japanese speaking friend right? Hopefully your friend can try to find something in the Japanese speaking travel forums and get something even more *authentic*

All in all. I highly recommend Dormy Inn

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ned posted:

I bought a cheap house in the countryside 3 years ago and it is the best decision I have ever made. Life here is wonderful!

Can we visit you in NRT, it’s been years

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
It’s probably the group package tourists who really come in droves and get in your way right?

I hope so because I’m a Chinese tourist, thank you very much.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
We all know weaboos going to hakone can settle for so much less when they are impressed with polyester yukata and powdered miso soup

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Man if you guys want some I can bring some next time

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Is there a budget airline ticket like peach or skymark or something that takes flies you from KIX —> NRT?

Trains on trains to airport is doable but kinda ghetto - especially when you are carrying bags

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Hey goons is there an airline like peach that flies from Osaka to Narita? You know like peach that flies from Osaka to Narita.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Oh right Yamato is awesome.

1 airport commute + 1 cross city rail + 1 international check in at 2 times the cost and maybe 2 times the time used

Versus

1 airport commute + 1 domestic check in + 1 international check in at half the cost and maybe half the time?

Trains in japan are reliable and fun, I guess???

Wonton fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 19, 2022

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
GET YOUR MYSOS BLUE CODE BEFORE YOU BOARD THAT PLANE. Saw the people filling the forms on arrival with pen and paper and then they are uploading online trying to get approval, it’s rough. Even with my APEC travel card, and getting all my poo poo sorted out it took me an hour to board the train from tarmac.

If you come to japan, do get your data card sent to your home so that you can swap sims when you land.

You save a lot of time and don’t need to line up with other less decisive tourists.

Claiming your Tokyo wide pass though…. Ugh… you also have hordes people who are not used to the wonderful ticketing machine UI and take more time

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Well most of outer Tokyo is quite accessible by train, but looking at the map, I think some parts of Izu peninsula would be fun by car. Close enough

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
GOON LUNCH TOMORROELW AND UZNEJ FRIDAY

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

I'm using "calling plan" as shorthand for phone/data/texting plan.

And besides this calling plan of yours that costs 90 dollars a month, have you even looked at some alternatives on the internet? Especially when people here were a little surprised at your price tag.

I just punched in “japan tourist SIM card” and a few random (albeit probably search engine optimized) entries mentioned Sakura mobile or whatever.

It’s 41 USD for a 31 day data unlimited plan. 16 days is 2/3 of that.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
It’s a dead comedy forums, I should try to be nice to people.

Guys just go to Klook, tickets, passes, sim cards etc. it’s convenient and cheaper and works for a whole bunch of cities. It’s actually started by a bunch of hong kongers who are fed up with the deep margins related to anything tourists need when they cleared customs x

It’s good to be prepared when you travel and ask questions beforehand,

Wonton fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 19, 2022

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Phone posted:

Yeah it doesn’t cost $90 lmao

E: you specify calling plan; do you plan on calling everyone back home at 4am their time or something? Personally, I’d be more interested in a data plan and leveraging voip (gtalk, facetime, etc), but that’s just me.

Pretty much this .

Having a phone number nowadays is really more for work emergencies back home or if work is paying for it.

Registering a temp local number is great for having restaurants call you to confirm registrations or binding to fancy contact less payment services . I’m looking at you kakao taxi or anything related to phones in China.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Mail the cards to your actual home before you travel

I do like how the first page of this thread 6 years ago was “TALKING ABOUT SIM CARDS”

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone been to Kichi Kichi in Kyoto, and if so, does it have big wait times? My hotel is about a 5 minute walk and the chef looks like a blast.

Go for it and enjoy!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Definitely book now pay later with free cancellation. Or at least rebook at a later time.

Only go all the way when you have secured airfare or other tickets/events/planned ahead of time.

If you are 1000% you have time free like being a teacher or whatever reason, then yeah book everything upfront (but do get travel insurance to hedge against uncertain)

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Credit card is ok for bigger purchases like big restaurant tabs or trains. Many retail and clothing shops and department stores also accept credit cards or contactless.

I think 5/10k a day on top is a safe safe buffer. And of course it depends.

Or have your debit card that can direct withdraw pre converted forex without fee from your forex account anywhere in the world - check bank

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I was going to say DORMY INN but if you are paying for points or want to pay 700 USD per night then you

Peninsula (good afternoon tea, slightly old, but good service and more unique. My fave)
Park Hyatt (views, slightly aged)
Ritz Carlton (new)

I haven’t stayed there, but I would pick the imperial hotel. For better or worse the hotel just history and architecture.

Tokyo is nice but there’s so much to do everyday so I never get much value staying at a fancier hotel. I rather get something cheaper like a business style hotel/capsule.

If you want to be oligarch luxury there’s Anman Tokyo :laffo:

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I was going to say DORMY INN but if you are paying for points or want to pay 700 USD per night then you

Peninsula (good afternoon tea, slightly old, but good service and more unique. My fave)
Park Hyatt (views, slightly aged)
Ritz Carlton (new)

I haven’t stayed there, but I would pick the imperial hotel. For better or worse the hotel just history and architecture.

Tokyo is nice but there’s so much to do everyday so I never get much value staying at a fancier hotel. I rather get something cheaper like a business style hotel/capsule.

If you want to be oligarch luxury there’s Anman Tokyo :laffo:

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Sorry I’m a little late in posting, this is just nit picking. You can disregard.

If you are taking the Narita airport express train to town, do look for the JR east booth in the airport and present your passport for a round trip 30% off discount instead of buying the tickets from the terminal.

Hyatt regency is a tad old and their rooms haven’t been refurbished in the past 15 years. Location is close enough but try to take the oedo subway line. If you do walk across JR shinjuku, try to stay along top side.

If you want nicer views there’s the shinjuku metropolitan building for free 360 views.

For onsens, definitely take the nicer recommendation, hakone and japan has become a bigger Mecca for tourists in the past 10 years. Your wife will always feel self conscious because she’s that weirdo who wants to look for old rear end video game sheet music.

Which is actually ok because nerds are hitting 40’s and have that extra money for dumb nostalgia and japan is a magical place which still sells CDs and milk you dry on collectibles

As long as you aren’t pooping our peeing into onsen and wash your taint, everything is ok

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Do you know how to get a SIM card

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Tokyo nitpicking: I nickname the station hamatsu-blows-

• the station sucks to get in with luggage because it’s actually designed for transferring the JR. You end up carrying your bags up some set of stairs with no escalators. Twice, once to get into the station, and a smaller set of stairs to the monorail
  • The monorail is actually kind of slow.
  • And the location isn’t that great. Well it’s sort of walkable to the Tokyo tower but that’s like staying next to the ferry on Ellis Island. Well you are close enough to pizza tamaki for world class pizza.
  • Price wise you also have to spend a little bit more money and time getting to that boring station for your day excursion.
  • The monorail is an inaka trap for those flying out of Haneda

If you are flying out of haneda , I rather stay near shimbashi station.
  • The location is much closer to the city center, better metro and JR interlink, very walkable Neigbourhood good restaurants and bar selections
  • you just carry your bags down and there are escalators to the platform and elevators into the station.
  • the limited express keikyu line is a 25 minute ride and a 1000 yen, there’s a train every 35 minutes.
  • there’s a freaking sushi zanmai so you get your 24 hour all tuna sets in the morning or late night
  • if you want budget there are capsule hotels as well

For departure, if you can pre-check in online and have medium luggage, I would leave the hotel room at departure time 2 hours instead of trying to get to the airport before t-2 hours.

If you don’t have bags and already have a boarding pass, heck just get to the gate whenever

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
You can still see the bay when you take the keikyu line. But there’s not much to see because huge sections are reclaimed and redeveloped.

If you want nicer see views go to Yokohama or go to enoshima

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Ummm just use a physical visa and physical transit card

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Try Reddit Tokyo and Tokyo expat network on Facebook , good luck

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Don’t go to the Uzbek place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Little smith is my go to bar. After 2 years they still remember me.

Thanks Tokyo goon for taking me there