Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My brother and I just booked flights for 2 weeks in Japan toward the end of April, because that's when our schedules happened to line up.

I just learned that we'll be getting there at the start of Golden Week. Is this going to be good? Terrible? We're flying into Tokyo, but haven't set a real itinerary yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Aredna posted:

Also looking more likely than not the country will basically be shut down from April 27th to May 6th due to the Emperor abdicated on 4/30 and Golden Week going on.

gently caress, this is very nearly my entire trip

Should I be worried?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

My brother and I planned our itinerary as follows for our two week trip

Land in Narita
- 4 days tokyo
- 1 day Izu
- 4 days Kyoto
- 2 days Hiroshima
- 3 days Osaka
Return to Narita

I'm concerned that it's too much traveling, but my brother really wants to get around. Is that an insane amount of jumping around, or will the trains keep it reasonable?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Still tempted to schedule a trip for this April anyway, even though it’s late in the year. How feasible is it to procure things like train cards, lodging, etc. on site? I can speak and read a little so I’m sure I could buy some Suica cards if we need them, but I dunno if I could do something more complicated like renting a hotel or :barf:Airbnb:barf:.

Also, is it worth doing any particularly social things while I’m over there, and if so, is it better to stick with other foreigners/tourists? Or should I focus on sightseeing? I had considered walking around Nichoume but I get the sense it’s not very open to foreigners.

My brother and I have booked all our stuff for April pretty easily. Booked all our stuff online well in advance. Can't help ya if you're asking about doing it when you get there.

Just an FYI, if you want an unlimited rail pass, you have to get the JR pass ticket delivered to a foreign address and then exchange it for the pass proper when you get there. Ordering online is pretty easy.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Thaaaaat’s annoying. I wonder why they do that. My plan was to go Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Osaka, so i think need some sort of rail pass, right? I’m not sure which, though.

We're doing a similar trip. We're getting a normal JR pass (Literally the "JAPAN RAIL PASS") -- they're only available to tourists and let you ride most lines. You can get them in 7, 14, or 21 day lengths.

If you want to save some money, I think you could get away with using a less robust train pass, but I don't really know the details on that.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

The passes are great if you happen to fall in the very narrow situations where they make sense, but that narrowness sucks the value out of them a lot of the time. Like I think a JR salaryman looks at it and thinks hm yes this is a great value when you take five shinkansen trips in a week, that's a sensible way that people will definitely travel but it's not useful if you want to actually spend any time anywhere.

There's a bus pass which is a lot smarter, you get five days of unlimited travel and those days can be taken any time, rather than having a set five day window in which you can bus all you want. If the JR pass worked like that it'd be much better.

My brother and I are planning a big tokyo-kyoto-hiroshima-osaka-tokyo loop over 2 weeks with a decent amount of local train travel day-to-day, so we sprung for the passes. If you're a tourist trying to cover a lot of ground it seems like a good deal.

I'm hoping I can talk him out of at least one leg of the trip so we can take it a little slower but he's super gung ho on seeing a lot of different places...

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

That's rough. Overstuffing a trip is the worst.

Hiroshima is a chill town to hang out in but if you just want to see the atomic bomb stuff, it is possible to do that as day trip from Osaka on the shinkansen. It's only a couple hours each way. That might free up some time.

Osaka and Kyoto are also essentially one city. It's possible to stay in one and do multiple daytrips to the other. I personally wouldn't do that since it's nice to be able to stay out late and not have to rush for trains, but you don't have to worry about missing stuff in Kyoto because you went to Osaka too quickly or vice versa since you can just pop back over.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to see if we can't make Hiroshima a day trip and cut out a big leg then -- we wanted to book a guided tour we found and get a taste of the local flavor, but I really think we'll have more than enough to do in the Kyosaka area, and having 1 big travel day between ~9ish days in Kyoto/Osaka sounds a lot better to me than shuffling so much travel between all the days.

I do think we'll keep the Kyoto -> Osaka jog there, though; we did a little digging and there's plenty we want to do in both cities.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Is this a limited use coupon, or may I steal it too?

I have a question that may be a bit off of most peoples' radar! My girlfriend has charged me with picking up some yarn while I'm in the country. I got a few options from googling keito shops but I was wondering if anyone had particular recommendations? She's very enthusiastic about supporting small yarn shops and local dyers -- if anyone is hooked into their local knitting scene, any and all pointers would be super appreciated!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

captkirk posted:

Currently on my way to Japan. I'm learning that I suck at sleeping on the plane.

Next time bring melatonin

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Just booked a baseball game ticket. Approximately what level of public inebriation is expected for baseball games in Japan?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I had a friend who similarly cut a 2-week trip to Tokyo short last year because she had a falling out with the girl she was staying with.

I didn't understand why she didn't just get a cheap hotel and stick it out, but I guess she just wanted out.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

The AMA has lobbied to keep residency numbers low and put in standards that ensure that burnout is the norm in doctors so there is a culture of exceptionalism and resentment that prevents the field from effectively evolving for the public good.

On topic: I’ve been here for exactly one day and my experiences have 100% convinced me to get a toilet with heater and bidet when I get home. Did shinjuku-type things today while getting over some mild culture shock. Next day is in odaiba!!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Question! My brother and I were looking to tour the Asahi brewery in Suita when we go to Osaka. Apparently you need to call ahead for an English guided tour. A) Is it a worthwhile tour, and B), would any kind goons be willing to help me make that reservation? Please PM if the answer to both is yes.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

My brother got food poisoning from the food at the ryokan we stayed at yesterday and has been stuck in our room while I explored Kyoto

There are so goddamn many food places to try that I'm just mad at the world for stealing a day from him

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

caberham posted:

Hey eat here and order the steak sandwiches for take out so your brother can nibble a bit of life

Hafuu Shogoin
8 Shōgoin Sannōchō, Sakyō-ku, Kyoto, 606-8392, Japan
+81 75-708-8270
https://goo.gl/maps/VCpzBfNN4A1HxwDR7

Thanks for this! We're actually staying fairly close to there so I think I can make it before they close.

Stringent posted:

The food wasn't beer by any chance was it?

Beer voms are much, much less taxing than what he was doing

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Was just about to post, we're going to be staying at an Airbnb just outside of Namba for ~$43 a night

We def don't have full beds and sitting areas though, so if space is important :shrug:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

In Narita waiting for our flight out. 2 weeks in Glorious Nippon flew the gently caress by.

Takeaways:
- Investment in public transit kicks rear end
- Polite queueing kicks rear end
- Having access to <$10 meals at all hours kicks rear end
- Not having to have your head on a swivel at all times kicks rear end
- Having cheap vending machines everywhere kicks rear end
- Hot tubs are temp-limited in the USA for a goddamn reason, Onsen will gently caress YOU UP
- Don't pack too many city shifts into a trip because it absolutely kneecaps your level of energy
- For the love of god at least learn kana before you go, I have no idea what I'd have done without it

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 11, 2019

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Dang I walked past a 7-11 just now and got all excited

But I'm back in the States now :negative:

I had this exact experience upon getting back

We have a lot to learn about convenience stores here

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

One of the first meals I got was 7-11 natto and I loved it

jump outside your comfort zone when you're traveling

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

highme posted:

I'm regretting not bringing edibles with me. Walking around high as gently caress in this city would be amazing.

yeah, nix this line of thinking. don't fuckin' bring weed in any form into japan dude

If you get caught you are hosed

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Electrical engineer here, most electronics designed for use in the states can handle the undervoltage of Japanese distribution. There's no real danger, since if anything goes wrong the item just won't work (as opposed to overvoltage which may potentially fry stuff). As advised previously, don't take 3-pronged items, and certainly don't use cheater plugs unless you're ok with taking on electrical fire liability. Make sure your transformers/wall warts/whatever is explicitly labeled as being able to handle 50-60Hz, as that's the big catch when it comes to japan

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

is tsujiki market only good for sushi? I mean i probably will go to some conveyor belt place to get some if it's such a pain to do it there. I've been to the markets in kyoto, osaka and hokkaido.

i know they moved the fish auctions to another place, but that's out of the way and i can't realistically go there in the mornings

Get the 100 yen tamagoyaki from the stand, it'll probs have a line but it moves fast

Lots of good snacks of all kinds from the stalls around there. Got the biggest oysters I've seen in my life

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

My brother and I got 14-day JR passes for our trip. While it did make booking shinkansen tickets easy once we were there (and it was kinda nice bypassing the turnstiles when they backed up), we did actually end up almost spending more on the passes than we would have just booking more major trains same-day and getting around with IC. Not to mention the time wasted planning and the couple times we did get mixed up at the train stations. Next time we'll definitely just wing it, unless we for some reason plan to traverse the entire island

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Absolutely guilty of being an Odaiba tourist

Futurism museum and TeamLABS was 100% worth though. Go as early as you can, avoid the rush.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I miss those 7/11 pancakes

the thing I miss most though is 100 yen for coffee from a machine literally anywhere

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

Missed booking a $450 dollar round trip to Japan from US by minutes :( So sad

I have the feeling that flights to East Asia will be quite cheap for the near term

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

arisu posted:

When I did my trip last year, we planned out meticulously all the food places we wanted to hit up. Then we just saw sights or whatever near wherever we were that we were eating. Anything that was not eating was just filler.

This is more or less what my brother and I did

Honestly I wish we'd covered less ground and did a week in Tokyo then a week in Kyoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

If you happen to be in the right place/time in Osaka, one of the best places I found to chill with beer and food was a little spot we were recommended through a guy we met in some whiskey bar in Kyoto. Happened to be near our hotel so we checked it out and found some of the best bar food I've had. Dug into my photos and thankfully it had saved the location. Try Chitomo at 2 Chome-8-1 Nipponbashinishi, Naniwa Ward, Osaka, 556-0004.