Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I have 2-ish weeks of holiday I have to take from work before the end of the financial year so I'm planning on a trip to Japan. Since it is a somewhat short-notice/impulse trip (and I grabbbed a conviently-timed Humble Bundle that give me a Lonely Planet guide), I'm planning to follow a suggested itinerary of spending a few days in Tokyo, then a few more in Kyoto, before moving on to Hiroshima and then doubling back to Tokyo.

I'm just wondering, since the cherry blossom festival take place in late march, would aiming for booking in early march work out to be cheaper? I realise it's shorter notice, but still, given everything I've heard. Or should I go for it and book late March? I suppose while it's likely pricier, it sounds like something that's worth seeing at least once and I don't know when or if I'll be back.

If people have reccomendations for places to stay/eat along the way, I'd also appreciate it. Obviously I have the guidebook, but I don't want to just rely on that.

Honestly is it crazy to try and book on such short notice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've carved out the days I'm going to be in Japan, I'm just hammering out the details now. My current plan is depart from the UK Thursday the 29th and arrive in Tokyo the morning of the 1st, then my itinerary is going to be a few days in tokyo, followed by a few more in Kyoto, with day-trips to Nara, Osaka and Himeji, then heading further west to Hiroshima and Miyajima, before maybe stopping off for a day in Hakone before returning to Tokyo to leave on the 15th or March. Basically all the first-time tourism stuff.

Does anyone have recommendations for a solo traveller?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Delita posted:

Get to Miyajima early. I decided to do the Hiroshima museum first because it was closer to my hotel but by the time I could get to Miyajima most of the stalls were closing and everyone was getting off the island.

Not sure what other tips to give ya besides Teamlab and the Yokohama Gundam was amazing.

Yeah I'm definitely going to fit in a trip to Yokohama Gundam, and it sounds like Teamlab is worth a try too. I guess I could try and grab a Ghibil museum ticket, but that'll be dependant on if I can remember to get/stay up til 1AM to book the ticket, as per the thread advice.

bee posted:

Ooo that reminds me, my travel tip is to look up what dates are public holidays or other days of local significance during your trip and consider how that might affect your plans. I really wanted to go to Miyajima but didn't realise that it wasn't do-able on New Year's day because everyone wants to go to visit the shrines on that particular day and the crowds are insane. My kid and disabled partner wouldn't be up for standing in queues for hours on end so we noped out.

But that day we just did other things in Hiroshima, and put Miyajima on our list of things to do next time we go to Japan. Also I had more than one time where I thought that I'd go do x, but x wasn't open because it was a Monday. Luckily there's so much to do in Japan it didn't ruin my day, but it's still worth keeping in mind.
Would it be possible to do Mitajima and Hiroshima as a daytrip or would you suggest staying for a day or two?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bee posted:

Possible but if I went to Hiroshima again I'd want to stay there for at least two days.

teddust posted:

It's possible if you get a really early train to Hiroshima, but I recommend staying a night so you can see the Hiroshima stuff the first day, and visit Miyajima the next morning. Definitely see one of the Teamlab museums in Tokyo. I haven't been to the new borderless since it moved but it's probably the better of the two. If it turns out that digital art is your thing you can visit Teamlab botanical garden in Osaka as well.

totalnewbie posted:

In Hiroshima, you will likely stop by the Peace Museum.

I think it's not a place where you'd want to feel like you're under time pressure. I always advise people to stay overnight if only for that reason alone.

I think you should also consider going up Mt. Misen which will also take time.

I don't know how you like to travel but you could consider just not checking out of your hotel in Osaka and staying overnight in a capsule or something in Hiroshima. It's pretty much the perfect case for staying in a capsule.
Thanks for all the advice! I feel like my itinerary is going to be arrive on 1st of march in Tokyo, stay 3 days then move on to Kyoto, with day strips to Nara and Himeji*, going to Hiroshima and staying overnight there to visit
Miyajima then, then stopping off in Osaka for 3 days, (possibly fitting in one or both of those daytrips at this point), followed by a stop at Hakone, then back to Tokyo to see out the rest of my trip. Does that seem like a reasonable amount of time for each place?

Also: I was looking at that Kendo class, but given I wear glasses that seems like it might be a problem.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saladman posted:

You aren't supposed to be walking around alone without a Japanese chaperone, or at the very least a Japanese-speaking foreigner. You'll definitely get a lot of very strange looks on the street, and you definitely won't be able to get served in any restaurant. Fortunately, there are vending machines all over the place so you won't starve to death, but you'll have to survive on sugary liquids from vending machines, or whatever you can get from 7/11.

Make sure to carry your passport on you at all times in case a policeman stops you, and be ready to show your visa and hotel booking.

There's a reason that very, very few foreigners go to Japan every year, and next to none of them go without guided tours. It does mean it's almost entirely virgin territory for foreign tourists though, so the hassle makes up for it in the untouched splendor of sites you'll never see on travel blogs or YouTube.
:ohdear:

Well this is information I didn’t think to ask for. Guess I’ll be living on vending machine food.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saladman posted:

Well, I didn't want to go too far over the top to not be a huge dick to Cheese Thief, but at the same time I wanted to go sufficiently far over the top to make it obvious it was sarcasm, even though this is the Internet and people have a wide range of absurd and incredibly wrong beliefs.

Looks like I failed!

Japan is super easy to get around as a foreigner. No one will bother you, tattooed or not, unless you go into a bathhouse, in which case you actually will be thrown out.
Not your fault, I'm not great with sarcasm and kind of anxious about travelling right now anyway, given it's the furthest I've ever gone and also the first time I've travelled anywhere in 5 years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cheese Thief posted:

And Saladman is usually so helpful, I was telling all my people I was going to be forced to eat out of the snack machine.

I had a friend in Tokyo who sent me a mania spree of messages about how he 'got his weed connection back,' and the key is to 'keep it airtight, ''not wear a hoody,' and 'only sell kilos. No nickle and dimes.' In brief, he disappeared from the internet soon after. I tried to tell him but wouldn't listen. Looking at the law, even ADD meds can't be brought into the country.

Perscription arthritis medication should be OK, though, right? Do I need to get a doctor's note or something?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

peanut posted:

Riding a full nozomi shinkansen right now and the tourists with big suitcases are looking frustrated.
Reserve suitcase space when you buy your tickets or mail your large bags to your next destination.

I shipped my bags from Tokyo to Osaka since I have a one day stop over at Hakone and it’s been a smooth experience. Of course I also realised when I was initially booking my trip and I initially shuffled the Hakone forward a day I didn’t also book the hotel in Tokyo for an extra day. So I guess I get to experience a capsule hotel! Does anyone have a recommendation for one in Tokyo or am I overthinking it?

Edit: or maybe Yokohama since it’s on the way back?

Edit 2: I actually was able to get a business hotel for cheap in Yokohama so it has all worked out well. I’m sure there’s a lot I have done wrong but I have been enjoying myself so far and I appreciate the advice everyone has given.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 10, 2024